Author Topic: What games should I buy my brother? He likes Myst  (Read 2634 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
What games should I buy my brother? He likes Myst
« on: November 25, 2016, 07:59:24 PM »
I've decided that I'm going to be buying my younger brother some Steam/GOG games for Christmas. He's a HUGE fan of the exploration-puzzle-adventure-obtuseness simulator Myst, and he bought a high-ish end gaming PC recently to play the recent Kickstarted game by the same developers. So now that he has something he can play games on I'd like to get him some more games along those rough lines. I'm thinking The Talos Principle would be a good one, and I'm going to slip in a copy of Danganronpa because he could use a good traumatizin' (and I think he would enjoy it), but puzzle games aren't exactly my genre so I might be overlooking some good ones.

Anybody got ideas? Cheaper is preferable so I can get him more games in case he doesn't like some of them, but I'm open to all suggestions. No or minimal action is preferred.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

MatsuriSakuragi

Re: What games should I buy my brother? He likes Myst
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 08:27:40 PM »
I don't know much about it aside from the fact that a friend of mine is raving about it, but get him Obduction. It's made by the same folks that made Myst and is considered to be a spiritual successor of the game.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 08:33:32 PM »
The Witness is the obvious choice here. Superb experience, superb puzzles. And speaking of the Myst series, definitely get him Riven if he hasn't played it already. It will provide enjoyment for weeks.
Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 09:24:09 PM »
He owns Obduction (which is the game I alluded to that caused him to buy a computer) and has played the shit out of all of the Myst sequels, even the super terrible later ones.

I'll look into The Witness, thanks.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 11:26:03 PM »
Any of the LucasArts point and clicks would be good. Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango have been remastered, and are available on various platforms. Machinarium is also a good one, and there's the Broken Sword and Blackwell series, so you're not short for options there.

Does GoG have Toonstruck? I played through that game and recalled it being quite humorous.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 11:27:55 PM »
Yeah, I think I may grab Grim Fandango or Day Of The Tentacle. He's too serious for LucasArts' sense of humor, or at least he thinks he is, but he might like them if he tries them.