Author Topic: Let's Play Tactics Ogre: Princes of the Univ-- err, I mean, The Knight of Lodis  (Read 11683 times)

CyberAngel

• Retired
You're making me want to replay this.  :|

justasplanned.jpg

We catch up to Naris just as he reaches the glacier where Shaher is imprisoned and opens a path inside. He must've been moving really slow since we caught up despite giving him days of head start. But that's actually a usual thing in RPGs, so I shouldn't be surprised here.

I didn't know that :V emoticon can be applied to power-mad laughter.

He also demonstrates his new powers by killing one of his men. How stereotypical.

Strangely, the battle takes place not where the cutscene did. We won't bother with getting the dragon, we have enough of them already. Sorry, Iku.

I find a good position to hold the defense. The enemies take their time coming, thankfully. We couldn't do much with this knight, so he pulled back and healed.

When other enemies catch up, the dragon gets Divine Radiance'd and finished by Reimu's AOE.

Naris rushes at us and uses his special skill - Hell's Gate. It puts the victim to sleep, but I heard it can also insta-kill. Not this time, thankfully.

The enemy dragon tamer thought it was a good idea to flank us and wreck our healer. It wasn't. She did little damage and received a lot.

Naris kept attacking through the other flank. He does present a real danger, so all our forces have to move to the center, where all other enemies are. And...

What can I say, a fairy and a mermaid with lots of SP can be a great combination. The priests fell easily to physical attacks (bows shined here), one knight was already damaged, another ate a Divine Radiance, the last one got pelted by holy squirrels.

Naris kept pestering us, mostly by putting Reimu to sleep repeatedly, but Glycinia was taking care of that.

: Stop smooching me, stupid fairy!

He didn't pull back or heal when his health was low, even though I had to leave him alone for a bit to finish all his subordinates. That was his last mistake.

After the battle, Alphonse gets the Longicolnis, which is given to Reimu.

Next up is the final location. Let's not waste any time, shall we?

Especially since it's another multi-part battle. Suggested theme for its map.

We are greeted with illusions trying to get in our head. Alphonse isn't impressed.

We don't have a way back anymore, but that's fine.

The boss is a lich. He summons a bunch of undead (and a demon). Undead are annoying - you can't just kill them, their bodies remain and can revive after some time. You have to use one of the two spells that only healers can use. One is Exorcism, which is an expensive AOE spell that destroys "active" undead in one shot. The other is Faith, which destroys all downed undead.

Except screw that!

Remember I said that Eleanor needed a class with high INT growth? This is why. At 170 INT she gets her special skill. I had to train her to lv.26 (everyone else is 2-3 levels below that, so she had to cast AOE on herself) and use all INT-raising items on her, but it's worth it just to cheese this battle.

A bright flash, and all undead are banished. Only lich and demon remain. Yeah, liches don't count as undead here, but all non-undead enemies also get some damage. This skill does have a few drawbacks - it can be cast only once per battle (unless Eleanor gains a level) and needs whooping 60 MP (which I had to use 2 magic leaves for).

The demon has that Summon Darkness skill, and he summons a pair of ghosts, but they're weak and useless, so they give us little trouble, even though we can't eradicate them.

Glycinia shows off the third skill fairies can get - Magic Missile. It's not too strong, but sometimes useful, since even with a good bow her low strength can result in even less damage.

The lich uses a Brain Sap spell on Alphonse. It transfers the victm's MP to the caster. It's funny how out of all people he decided to cast it on the one who doesn't need them anyway.

We take care of the demon first.

The lich took some beating since his defenses were pretty high and he was using healing seeds, but as everyone comes close (spellcasters had to take a long winding road) he finally falls.

This time the game doesn't even justify splitting. Some will go up and some will take a side road just because. Oh well.

: We don't have enough people to split up again. What should we do?

: Hmm... Iku, can I have a word with you?

: Yes?

: I have a plan, but I'm not sure you'll like it...

CyberAngel

• Retired

The map actually has little connection to battles that take place. The main group goes on through the tower.

A daemon is a boss, and he's accompanied by two swordmasters, two dark angels (one is on top of the gate) that aren't the twins we dealt with before, a Vrtra and two medusas. We have enough people that are immune to their gaze, so no sweating.

We wait near the start as usual. Enemies are pretty reluctant to come close, except the dragon. Too bad for it.

After more waiting, the demon is the only one who comes close. There's little point to bother with everyone at this point, so he pays for his zeal, which ends the battle. That was easy.

So, who takes the side trip, then?

Dragons, of course! Time to see what they're worth.

The boss is a female angel, accompanied by two male ones, two warlocks, two demons and a giant (off-screen to the right).

A demon and an angel reach us first and get the taste of dragon breath, bites and claw swipes. The dragons turn out to be strong both magically and physically. Both enemies are brought down to low health quickly, but I'll feed the kills to Iku. Demon falls while angel retreats and heals.

The giant gets ganged upon next. The angel gets damaged some more and pulls back to heal even further. Meanwhile, a warlock gets confused by fiery breath.

Everyone else comes close, including the boss who wastes her turn curing her comrade. Meanwhile, the other warlock is brought down.

The remaining warlock falls next. The boss decides not to pull back too much, but she uses Banish, an AOE skill that burns the targets' MP/SP. The other angel comes closer and does the same next turn. Well, that doesn't bother us too much, since the dragons' melee attacks are as strong as their breath.

The demon falls while the boss is at critical health.

She doesn't pull back to heal and pays for that.

By the way, all this time the other male angel hanged around near the top of the map, shooting everyone with a bow. It was barely any trouble. (Well, it was a special bow and it stunned one dragon, but it made little difference.)

Well, that wasn't hard at all. But next up is the final battle. Buckle up, next update this game will be finished.

CyberAngel

• Retired

Cirvante and Lethe meet us near the gate to... wherever we're going. After annoying Alphonse a bit, they fly away.

Inside we meet Shaher. He expects us to just hand over the spear, but we're here to give it to him in a different way. He summons three demons and two angels. The dark twins join the battle as well.

Two angels and two demons come at us. Others hang back. We stay near the start in an AOE-unfriendly formation.

After a few turns, Shaher uses Ice Requiem. It's an ability that hits ALL our forces, and can cause sleep! Good time to break formation and utilize Heal Plus to the max.

Glycinia ends up in serious trouble. The spell and one angel's attention bring her to critical health. Thankfully, she managed to dodge one attack, which allowed her to survive until Alphonse came to rescue.

: My hero <3

: Don't relax just yet. Come where Sanae can heal you!

Another angel follows her comrade. Patchy's fan strike was so strong she got pushed away! Good thing we dealt with them first, Banish would be a troublesome thing to deal with.

Only one demon decided to go melee on us, the other hanged back and tried using Nightmare without much success. A successful Divine Radiance makes sure he falls next.

The last demon is taken care of easily.

Next we ascend the stairs towards the second group. Shaher throws another Ice Requiem, so we waste one turn healing midway there. But good news is that a few turns without attacking allows our spellcasters to store some MP for later use.

However, Patchouli and Eleanor weren't seriously damaged and spearheaded the offense on the closest enemy with their summons. Said enemy happened to be Lethe.

Cirvante is the next one we concentrate on.

Demon eats another Divine Radiance and falls as well.

Now only Shaher remains, and he has 400+ HP, an insane amount! Coming at him head-on is a problem because of his crazy-high agility. Even summons have around 50% accuracy. And this is where having Ariel really shined. She barely used her abilities, so she had a lot of SP, and she used them to cast Cheer on spellcasters. It worked wonders, kicking the summon accuracy all the way up to 99%. Glycinia came in handy as well, allowing some of them cast twice while the buff was still active.. That said, Shaher was just moving around, but he did stab Patchy once, bringing down almost all her health. Sanae had to use Full Heal on her that turn.

When his health got low, Shaher pulled back, but instead of healing he used Descent, summoning an angel. He later used it again to summon a dark one too.

But before long, he is defeated.

...Except not.

He transports us... somewhere and becomes this monstrosity - a Sacred Demon. Feel free to play One-Winged Angel for this battle. He also summoned a few helpers. Ninjas are Dark Stalkers, and giants are Hell Gigantes. The former are strong, hard to hit and impossible to dodge, the latter are even stronger, but aren't too accurate. Both kinds are tough, have a lot of health and get little damage (about 20 tops).

The people you have for this battle are the same that took part in the last one. Well, this is it, the final battle and the moment of truth. Let's see if we can do this!

Since this is the end, I have the spellcasters use the MP-restoring items so that they can cast their summons. But turns out I have only a few magic leaves and one magic salve (which gives 100 MP). I wanted to buy some more of those, but kinda forgot. Oh well, let's call it a challenge.

On his first turn, Shaher uses Day of Reckoning, which deals no damage, but everyone can get a random status effect. Half of our units are immune to them, but others can be hit. He does stun Reimu and Ariel... but they recover when our turn comes!

Now, first thing to do in this battle is to hit Shaher with Sacred Spear. He has a barrier that prevents all damage, but that removes it. So, with Glycinia's help, Reimu goes for it.

: Hah! You call THAT a barrier? I've broken stronger ones in my sleep!

I try to use a summon on him on that turn but... they do only 5 damage per hit, and he has OVER 600 HP! This battle will be a long one...

On his turn, Shaher answers with Apocalypse, an extremely strong single-target spell. Reimu survived it just fine, though. However, Glycinia gets surrounded by the evil ninjas. Everyone clumps together so Sanae can heal more people at once.

And it was just in time - he uses Cataclysm next, which hits everyone for over 100 HP. Good news - it hits enemies as well. Bad news - we have our first big loss.

At full health, she'd BARELY survive, but Sanae can heal only so much per turn. But worry not, that's what we have the altars for! So she's back in no time at all.

Cataclysm killed one ninja and Alphonse finished the other one, so on his turn, Shaher uses Descent, summoning two more enemies, including a new one. He looks like a dark dragoon and is named Predator. Get it? A warrior with a spear, in face-covering armor, named "predator". No way that's a coincidence.

Next turn, Shaher uses Apocalypse on Sanae, but she survived with 2 HP! If she wasn't at full health, she'd be the next loss.

: Ah... It's a... mira...

: Shut up and heal yourself!

After this, battle repeats itself - Day of reckoning that hits noone, Cataclysm that kill poor Glycinia (her death quite turns out pretty fitting), Sanae barely surviving another Apocalypse on her head. Ariel does manage to land multiple Lullabies on giants (they turned out to be especially weak to it) which kept others busy curing their comrades half the time, keeping them off our backs.

Finally, the battle is over.

Shaher still takes to take us with him, but Eleanor sacrifices herself, allowing him to ascend.

Well, this is it. We completed our quest.

Cybil helps Alphonse escape to Galius, since he is wanted for killing Rictor. However, she herself leaves the church. (If I accepted Shiven, he'd be with her here.)

Ivanna rules Rananculus now. Ovis is under protection of Galius now, while the Duke of Felis lost his influence for his scheming.

Mermaids move on with their lives, but it seems Aerial was satisfied with the journey.

But what about Alphonse's ultimate fate? Well...

If you somehow know about the previous game (Let Us Cling Together) but not this one, better hold on to your seat.

Yes, all this time we were playing as the antagonist of that game!

Well, this was the ending of this game. But we should address one more thing, don't we?

: Girls, you have my deepest thanks. You did an amazing job. I hope you liked the adventure.

: That was interesting. Glad we could help you.

: I did a good job showing off my powers, didn't I? I hope to see you all at my shrine soon. We can do much more than that.

: Again with trying to steal my followers?

: I don't think they'd stop coming to your shrine anyway. It's not prayers they come for, anyway.

: Ugh. I guess so, but that's...

: Well, I can say I'm not disappointed. I sure liked the stylish outfit you gathered for me.

: I really enjoyed the adventure, it took my mind off the usual routine. And yet, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss it as well. I'll be happy to return to Lady Yuyuko.

: The magic of this world was interesting. I can't wait to try using some principles I saw here in my usual spells.

: It was interesting to see the local dragons. Magnificent creatures.

: Hey, why don't we take one home?

: It's best to leave them in their natural habitat.

: Glad to hear you enjoyed yourselves. Let's hope we meet again someday.

Well, this is it. Not that bad a game, but not too outstanding either. The story isn't bad, but has some questionable points. The difficulty isn't too great, but is quite uneven and can throw problematic tasks. I thought about doing optional stuff afterwards, but I'm tired enough by now.

So, many thanks to everyone who followed this playthrough. Yes, that means YOU. Don't be a stranger now!

Someday, I might make another LP. I'd love to show a certain game I enjoyed years ago which I'm sure few even know of. But that won't be any soon. For now, see ya later!

CyberAngel

• Retired
I looked at some other LPs of this game and got an idea. Would you people want to do something like Don't Roll To Dodge but with this game?