Author Topic: Rumia Quest Revival - A New Beginning  (Read 132503 times)

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
Rumia Quest Revival - A New Beginning
« on: May 18, 2018, 09:47:31 PM »
OOC Foreword:

So I've been kinda busy last few months IRL; and I got thinking about a long-running Quest I did in the past; Rumia Quest. I had a lot of fun GM'ing that; and thought 'what if I take the basic premises from that; and take it back to Square one with the simple fact that I am more experienced now?' And 'what would happen if players take different choices'. I think it could be a somewhat interesting experiment to see the differences in how this version of Rumia Quest develops from the previous one. Consider it a social experiment of sorts.

I won't link the origional Rumia Quest; since a lot of at least the early or central plot points will likely recur [At least before player divergence is taken into account]; and for anyone who wasn't around for the original; I'd like to not spoil things. Also because exposing players to things that happened before might guide player actions here which is the exact opposite of what I want.

It is worth noting I'm a significantly busier person these days than I was a good few years ago; I work 9 hour shifts and commute for 2h 30 a day on workdays. I'll try to do at least 1 update a day; but this isn't guaranteed if I have a lot of IRL stuff going on. Weekends will likely be significantly more active. But this can be good; of course. I think the original Rumia Quest lost a lot of players because the pace was too quick for them to keep up.

Edit: Also so people can keep track of who Rumia knows:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kXTuH60F-0z7iCl90DyS22gwYSK44igteW8LRz_J0KM/edit?usp=sharing

Without further ado:

===

> You are [once again] Rumia

> View Status

>>  Species: Youkai

>> Age: Unknown; you can't count that high, neither can you remember that long. You know you are significantly older than a human of an equal age would look however.

>> Powers
>>> Unique Abilities - Manipulation of Darkness. Most often used to create a sphere of pitch-black around yourself. Darkness gets less absolute the larger the area you try to effect. Abilities do not come with secondary ability to actually see in the Dark.
>>> Racial Abilities - Flight: You have advanced this skill to Moderate level, allowing you the ability to effortlessly hover and fly at low speeds; and with effort fly at higher speeds
>>>> Youkai Strength: As a Youkai; you are significantly stronger than your physical form would suggest. You can easily overpower a full grown human if it came to close combat.
>>>  Cultural Ability - Gensokyian: Danmaku - Allows you to condense your magical energy into various projectiles to attack with. Allows Spellcard Battles. Your skill in Danmaku is Moderate. You're above the various nameless fairies and youkai [Well... most of them. Some of those Greater Fairies are tough!] but you're far from the best at Danmaku. Danmaku usually results in no worse than bruises and minor clothing damage due to the Spellcard Rules; instead causing submission by intense; magically induced pain than actual physical harm. If two agree to duel without the Spellcard rules in effect; Danmaku can result in casualties. It is worth noting that attacking with the 'ruleless' type of Danmaku without both parties agreeing is considered a major crime in Gensokyo. Otherwise everyone would be going around and sniping each other with long-range deadly magical bullets and that would be absolute chaos.

>> Possessions: Your clothing.
>>> Spellcards: Moon Sign -Moonlight Ray-; Night Sign -Night Bird-; Darkness Sign -Demarcation-; Darkness Sign -Dark Side of the Moon- and Night Sign -Midnight Bird-.

===

> You are currently in the Youkai Forest; and it is nighttime.

> You are alone.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:55:32 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Hope ♦ Metal

• Royal Flares Can't Melt Steel Beams
  • Donald Trump will make waifus real
Re: Rumia Quest Revival - A New Beginning
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 06:19:19 PM »
>Who do we know/have met?

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 09:53:38 PM »
>Who do we know/have met?

> You have the following relations:

> Reimu Hakurei - She's beaten you up a few times, mostly for you getting in her way or attacking humans.

> Marisa Kirisame - Same as Reimu; except unlike Reimu, she usually dosen't give a reason for her actions.

> Wriggle Nightbug - Lives in the same forest as you do; so you occasionally bump into each other. Quite literally. You're generally on good terms.

> Mystia Lorelei - She lives on the outskirts of the forest; near the Human Villiage; so you don't meet her as often as Wriggle. You still get on well with her however.

> Aya Shameimaru - She occasionally flies past and drops a newspaper on you. Unfortunately; you can't really read them due to your darkness bubble.

> Keine Kamishirasawa - The main reason you don't go near the Human Village often. Keine dosen't tolerate you around the village; and unlike most humans, she can rather easily beat you.

> Daiyousei and Cirno - You occasionally meet them if you're in the part of the Forest near the Misty Lake. Daiyousei's fine; but Cirno is rather annoying; usually spoiling for a fight.

> You've met others; but your interactions with others are insignificant enough that you don't even know their names. When you're usually surrounded by a darkness sphere you can't see out of, you don't get to know too many people.

I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
  • Everything will be daijoubu... hopefully
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 10:52:19 PM »
> What's our diet and how do we support it with knowing the laws that we do...

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 07:47:44 PM »
> What's our diet and how do we support it with knowing the laws that we do...

> Like most Youkai; you are Magivorous

> Magivorous is like Omnivorous; except you can also sustain yourself with magical energy. In fact; you require magical energy intake to survive. [This is a big reason why Youkai are largely extinct outside of Gensokyo.] You cannot survive on ambient magical energy alone either however.

> Luckily; plants and animals that exist in magically-rich areas naturally absorb and store magical energy within themselves. Not only do these magically-enhanced things taste better, but they are also more nutritious. Since animals ultimately eat plants that have themselves taken in magical energy, meat is far tastier and more magic-rich than plants.

> In the past you used to hunt humans; who; due to their size; decent lifespan, and ease of preying upon, were absolutely great! However, with humans like Reimu, Marisa and Keine around, human-hunting is too risky. Of course; hunting the local wildlife isn't that much worse than humans.

> It is worth noting that youkai eating other youkai is considered a taboo among youkai and such an action would get you hunted by all other youkai.

> There dosen't seem to be any correlation between the amount of magic a youkai intakes and their inherent power, although Magicians as a species seem to require more food than others. Youkai of animals also generally only eat things with some connection to that animal's diet. For example; Wriggle; as a firefly, can only eat plant matter, and even then, usually flowering plants. Mystia prefers fruits, seeds, small fish and insects as a bird. Since you're not animal-based, you can eat pretty much anything that's edible.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 07:52:57 PM by Raikaria »

Hope ♦ Metal

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 12:50:14 PM »
>Let's go see if we can find Wriggle and see what she's up to.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 07:36:14 PM »
>Let's go see if we can find Wriggle and see what she's up to.

> You start to fly in the general direction that Wriggle is usually in; only bumping into a few trees.

> After a short flight, you reach an area filled with fireflies. In the middle of the small swarm, is Wriggle.

Wriggle Nightbug - Queen of Twinkling Lights

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 03:02:20 AM »
//Oh look, a reboot of the one MotK quest with a tv tropes page :P

>"Hi Wriggle!!"

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 08:53:24 AM »
> The firely Youkai is startled for a moment, Wriggle is rather easy to spook... but not usually this easy. She knows your voice; after all.

> "Oh; it's you Rumia." Wriggle says once she turns and sees you. "Have you heard the news? It seems there's some strange people around."

> Wriggle is holding a copy of the Bunbunmaru; rolled up in her hand.

Hope ♦ Metal

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 04:57:28 PM »
>"What strange people?"

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 05:03:44 PM »
>"Is that so~?"

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 06:42:48 PM »
>"Is that so~?"

> "Well; this is the Bunbunmaru..."

>"What strange people?"

> Wriggle unfurls the Bunbunmaru and shows the frontpage.

STRANGE PHANTOM FIGURES SIGHTED!

Over the last few days, rumors of strange 'phantom figures' have been spreading. I didn't report on it before this time because the great Shameimaru prides herself on only bringing the inhabitants of Gensokyo the facts! So what spurred this article then?

> After this line; there is a strange-looking image. Aya's images of others are usually a little bit blurry; since they're often taken at high speed. And during combat. But this one looks different. The background has the regular amount of motion blur; however; the figure shown in the middle of the picture [Who; naturally; appears to be attacking Aya with a spray of danmaku] is incredibly blurred. It's almost impossible to discern any meaningful features. You can see a face, and that the stranger is wearing a mixture of black and white; like a formal dress. Her hair is red, and she has a pair of black wings.

Don't fault my camerawork on that shot! That's how the strange figure actually looked! Apparently there's been all sorts of appritations like this popping in Gensokyo the last few days. Who knows what they are. However, this reporter can tell you something not in this picture! They're certainly not of Gensokyo. Their magical power feels entirely different.

This reporter shall bring you news as she investigates. In addition, I have heard from good authority that the Shrine Maiden of the Moriya Shrine is already looking into it as well. I have yet to hear if the Hakurei Maiden or Miss Kirisame have started doing anything yet. Although as you all likly know, those two are unlikely to take action until this turns into a full-fledged Incident.

Below is a list of contents mostly filled with the usual gossipy garbage in the Bunbunmaru.

> "Have you seen anything like that picture Rumia?" Wriggle asks; a little worried. "And what should we do if we do meet one? Do we go get someone strong like Reimu?"
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 06:44:38 PM by Raikaria »

Hope ♦ Metal

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 12:13:50 PM »
>Have we ever seen anything like in the picture?

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 08:19:41 PM »
>Have we ever seen anything like in the picture?

> You have not. The closest you've seen are a few fairies; but even with the low quality of the picture; you can tell the wings this phantom being has are not like Fairy wings.

Tom

• Programmer
    • LunarCast Network
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 09:16:50 PM »
> Think about visiting Reimu... Would Reimu take us seriously?

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 10:41:53 PM »
> Think about visiting Reimu... Would Reimu take us seriously?

> Reimu takes you pretty seriously if you get in her way. You're not so sure if the Hakurei Miko taking you seriously is the issue however. She has quite the reputation for being slow to act, or even notice things going on in Gensokyo, before they're become quite serious. Reimu is generally reactive. It's unlikely she'd be proactive even if she took you seriously.

Tom

• Programmer
    • LunarCast Network
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 06:28:35 AM »
> "Never seen anything like that!  I don't see the point of going to Reimu, she won't do anything unless this turns out to be a full incident.  Want to go find Mystia and see if she knows anything?"

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2018, 06:38:32 PM »
> "Never seen anything like that!  I don't see the point of going to Reimu, she won't do anything unless this turns out to be a full incident.  Want to go find Mystia and see if she knows anything?"

> Wriggle shrugs. "I guess; I don't have anything else planned."

Hope ♦ Metal

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2018, 01:10:51 PM »
>"Okay then."
>Go look for Mystia.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2018, 03:38:17 PM »
>"Okay then."
>Go look for Mystia.

> Wriggle follows you and you start to head towards the forest's edge. Mystia could be pretty much anywhere along the edges of the forest; but she does tend to be nearer the main road that leads between the Human Villiage and the Hakurei Shrine through the forest.

> As the trees begin to thin you suddenly see a spray of danmaku shoot up into the air. You do not recognize the patterns; but it is a large amount of blue shots. But they don't look icy like Cirno's.

Tom

• Programmer
    • LunarCast Network
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2018, 11:13:31 PM »
> Try and get closer to find out the source of these danmaku shots without being noticed.

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2018, 05:27:17 AM »
>before that
>"Hey Wriggle, do you see that?"

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2018, 06:21:39 AM »
>before that
>"Hey Wriggle, do you see that?"

> "Yeah..." Wriggle says apprehensively.

> Try and get closer to find out the source of these danmaku shots without being noticed.

> You bring your darkness in as much as you can while still being able to see so whoever it is dosen't notice everything getting darker. It may be night; but there's still moon and star light.

> You head towards the danmaku source. Wriggle follows behind you cautiously.

> When you arrive; you see Mystia on the ground, unconcious, and a stranger you've not seen before standing nearby; looking worn out and with some clear battle-bruising.

> The stranger is a girl dressed in a blue dress, with matching hair. She is holding a purple umbrella that; for some reason, has a Geta on it's base. She is looking away from you.

Tom

• Programmer
    • LunarCast Network
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2018, 01:36:06 PM »
> Rush to help Mystia
> "Wriggle, be ready in case of an attack!"

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2018, 05:09:44 PM »
> Rush to help Mystia
> "Wriggle, be ready in case of an attack!"

> You rush towards Mystia.

> When you cry out to Wriggle while you are doing this; you seem to startle the strange; who jumps and turns around.

> The stranger proceeds to start to spin her umbrella; which has an eye; a mouth and a long tongue, around rapidly. Raindrop-like danmaku starts to spray off from it. The girl holding the umbrella looks completely spooked and clearly frightened.

Tom

• Programmer
    • LunarCast Network
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 10:32:09 PM »
> Dodge any shots that come near
> "Who are you?  Sorry if we spooked you!"

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2018, 04:10:54 PM »
> Dodge any shots that come near
> "Who are you?  Sorry if we spooked you!"

> The shots are not difficult to avoid, it's a simple pattern and you can see that you basically just need to circle the blue youkai in the streams between the rain-danmaku.

> The youkai hesitates for a few moments, before she stops spinning her umbrella. The eye upon it stops and looks at you; blinking a few times, before the girl turns around.

> "I'm Kogasa..." she says sheepishly. "Sorry... I was just attacked a moment ago, I thought you guys were more of them..."

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2018, 03:42:05 AM »
>"Is that so?"
>Look at Mystia.
>Then back to Kogasa.
>Point at Mystia.
>"So... Was she one of them? Or was she just caught in the crossfire? And more of what? Fairies? Youkai?"

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2018, 06:39:41 PM »
>"Is that so?"
>Look at Mystia.
>Then back to Kogasa.
>Point at Mystia.
>"So... Was she one of them? Or was she just caught in the crossfire? And more of what? Fairies? Youkai?"

> "Y-yeah; it's so?" Kogasa says sheepishly.

> "She was like that when I floated past!" Kogasa says. "I saw the thing getting ready to attack her again and yelled at it since she was clearly beaten. Then it turned and attacked me instead. I hit it with a big spray of danmaku and it vanished; but it was really weird."

> "More spooky people!" Kogasa adds. "It looked really odd. And it spoke weird. And it was wearing a black dress. Kinda like you. I think. It was all blurry."

> At this point; Mystia makes some sounds that are a cross been chirps and groans, and slowly sits up; opening her eyes. She looks dazed still.

> "What happened..." she groans.

> Mystia Lorelei
> Night Sparrow of many Talents

[Also; Kogasa Tatara's title is Playful Parasol. For reference's sake on my part; I'm going to include a link to a list of introduced characters and their titles in the OP. Character titles is a quirk I really like in Touhou.]
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:47:00 PM by Raikaria »

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2018, 02:54:44 AM »
>"Huh. Weird..."
>Step closer to Mystia
>"Are you alright, Mystia? We found you unconscious when we got here..."