Author Topic: The nameless extras  (Read 3777 times)

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
The nameless extras
« on: December 27, 2016, 01:24:54 PM »
We are all familiar with Nitori's Kappa Mob from Wild and Horned Hermit as some of the few nameless background characters with distinctive appearances. They even have their own fanarts.

But there were other extras with distinctive appearances in the Touhou franchise that often gets overlooked. For example:
1. Those girls from ZUN's drawings with clothing resembling Reimu's (Let's call them the Shrine Maiden Mob for easier future references).
2. The three Fairy Maids in Silent Sinner In Blue (Let's call them the Lunar Expedition Fairy Maids).
3. The Moon Rabbit Squadron that Reisen II is assigned to, also in SSIB (They have appeared in some fan arts, but none of those had them as the focus).
4. The Lunar Kingdom's gatekeepers, again from SSIB.
5. The Kuda-gitsune who disguises as Marisa in WAHH (Let's call her Fox Marisa)
6. The Bake-danuki who disguises as Marisa in Oriental Sacred Palace (Let's call her Raccoon Marisa).
...And many more not listed here.

So what do you guys think of these extras? They looked like they could use some more screen time, even if they remain as just that, extras.
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

MANoBadAssGar Jr.

• look at dat pose, look at dat face
  • GARDORABLE!
Re: The nameless extras
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 10:34:30 PM »
You should stop doing this. You know why? because you will tempt the three stooges from EoSD stage 2 & 4 midboss and CoLA mob acting smug.....
Unlike the manga mob, iirc those three stooges have never even had spoken a line yet they dare show their faces in fanwork on so much occasion, the nerve of those nameless!
Two of them even had more appearance in certain fangame whereas my dear Letty had even less appearance & it's even near the end of the game! f*ckin ******* of a ******* shameless nameless !
[attach=1]

But hey, look at the rather positive things, most of those nameless mob you listed are safe from hentai doujin lmao.

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 11:49:52 PM »
There are also Mamizou's little tanukis from WaHH, which i'm not sure are supposed to be the same she uses in combat  :V

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 12:11:02 AM »
1. Those girls from ZUN's drawings with clothing resembling Reimu's (Let's call them the Shrine Maiden Mob for easier future references).
I've heard a fan theory that those ladies are the past Hakurei Shrine Maidens. Makes sense to me.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 02:44:03 AM »
*Complaint redacted*

You know, I could've reported your post for meaningless flaming were it not for the very last sentence in your post. Be careful...
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

MANoBadAssGar Jr.

• GARDORABLE!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 03:59:36 AM »
You know, I could've reported your post for meaningless flaming were it not for the very last sentence in your post. Be careful...

Lieut col dood what about that flaming part? shocking me
If anything, it's indirect praise toward those three nameless character for having such fanbase despite being not having official name, even beat some of the named character.
If you mean the "three stooges" part, it's reference from CiLR.
tho i admit it's meaningless

edit : I won't be around to reply for half a day so i will just put this now
beware tho, it meant for Lt Colonel Summers exclusively, so it won't be entertaining at all.
Spoiler:
Then again your post not even informative or analytic, if its a question or looking for other opinion you could use Miscellaneous Questions or Miscelleneous Touhou thoughts and commentary thread.  just like what i had done once before, damn that was embarassing
All you do is just stating obvious fact that everyone knows. You don't even mention Unshou who could have been used with more impact in WaHH but still remain minor character regardless, instead you mention a generic character which could have been replaced by just anybody or even removed and the story would still goes well. As it is now, a serious reply even if just a joke is being too nice to you.
Not only you have failed figuring out people joke but you also falsely accuse it as complaint & flaming which i have no intetion to be. To be honest, it's that "Be careful..." part that get in my nerve. i could accuse you back by stating that you initiating flaming with your false accusation and you making junk thread. Be carefull...

Regardless i'll just apologize for joking in your "exclusive informative & analytic topic", if you cool with it then good
This will just looks ugly and stupid if continued, not to mention it also doesn't have any entertaining value in the beginning.
you could make your thread have more value by making your own analysis about these extras character potential, before demanding other's serious & quality reply.

and don't point your shotgun at me all the time while we're talking, this is not FPS game <----- joke
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 04:52:19 AM by MANoBadAssGar »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 07:17:24 AM »
* Helepolis strips of all his mod clothes, hats, jewellery, underwear, tools etc.

@ Lt Colonel Summers
As a fully naked regular addicted user: I have to agree though that the thread's content is extremely generic without much space to actually do anything. Not everybody is reading WaHH or other similar works and thus it gives people limited ability to participate. Let alone going down the road of 'fandom' and 'fanwork'. Also generic fairy maids, villagers, kappas or other side characters are generic. Imagine if in every real life movie each and every casted character had fandom. That one bartender who was for four seconds pouring a drink to a nice random lady who was also not even one of the main characters.

I think I've mentioned it before in your thread about dialects that pretty much nobody understands Japanese dialects. Bit sad to see potential fun threads like this suddenly end in silence.

Also, why do you always create a thread and then run off never or very extremely rarely looking back to post something? What is the point of dumping threads like this? I think that is kind of what MANoBadAssGar is referring to when he mentioned 'junk threads'. Sadly, I too have the same impression.

Ah, do pardon me for a moment;

* Helepolis dresses back up

As a moderator: As far I can read there was no ill intention from MANoBadAssGar in his initial post. Definitely nothing personal. The lashing is one thing but making meaningless threats with 'be careful...' is counter-productive and disrupting. The report button should never be used as threats against other forum users. It is a tool to request mod attention for what ever reason you feel.

We do not demand high quality threads with lots of participation and such. Nobody should hold back on their ideas for a thread as long as they are actively supporting it, add plenty of value and fun to it AND show effort in doing so. The goal is to have fun and no worries. Of course, some forum rules need to be kept in mind to avoid some nasty things.

That said, Lt Colonel Summers, please consider your threads to make them more accessible to the general public. If you wish to purely express thoughts or generic questions, do use the Misc threads. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 07:19:33 AM by Helepolis »

MANoBadAssGar Jr.

• GARDORABLE!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 12:23:59 AM »
Helepolis, i look back at my post and thinking of removing it, because personally i think it looks ugly, regretfully. but would your post look "funny" if i did?
but i will delete the messages in these three post, if there's no reply in around a day and half im not around, it's my post after all. or do whatever you want with it (edit : scratch that last one)
sorry about all that

edit 2 : decided not to, because mans looks more badass with leaving an ugly scar as it is, screw it i'm done

edit 3 : actually, let's try that again. also as a form of reconciliation attempt
<=>
1. I actually only remember seeing one of those ZUN drawings outside of Touhou, the other beeing Beerko, Seihou Yuuka and that robot maid seihou. I think it's not that unusual for artist to make miscellaneous works unrelated to their usual works. Yeah ZUN an artist, artist of drawing, artist of music, artist of art to make people fall into agony with bullet hell. I wouldn't make much of it untill i clearly know there's a concrete statement stating it's relation to Touhou Project.
2. I can't remember much of them outside of them wearing maid outfit, having dragonfly fairy wing, & probably one of them wearing glasses & also them being midget like Remi. They probably appear in another work outside of SSiB but i don't remember them face so i don't recognize them fairy maids.
3. Again, i couldn't recall their appearance whether they have distinctive hairstyles or not, common bang styles or not, in my memory i remember them Moon Rabbits all wearing the same looking helmet that almost looked like having rabbit ears attached to it.
4. They're dudes and looks generic as f*ck, so i can't care
5. That Fox Marisa could be used more, since we don't have lesser fox youkai yet, and Ran is a Kyuubi (if you differentiate them like a cat and tiger which is wrong example.........)
6. She's now Mamizou lass slave = end of her history

Summary, aside from the girls with clothing resembling Reimu's, all the of the nameless mangas extras probably not even given a concept design by ZUN himself, probably general description of how their uniform should be but not as detail as their faces or hair, so it become a liberty of the manga artist on how to portray them. In that sense, i guess we can't really call them a character designed by ZUN. As such that might make even ZUN himself had no idea or reluctant on how to make place for them in the next work.
Makes me wonder a bit about CoLA.......
<=>

Also, Tupai could use more plot, probably evolving as half space vampire, half amphibian dragon demi god

P.S. I'm not doing this to reconcile with you Lt. Col Summer, It's all for the sake of my man pride.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 12:19:18 AM by MANoBadAssGar »

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 03:21:26 AM »
I find the concept of "these are inaccessible because not everyone reads the official manga" to be a bit odd, because it sounds awfully similar to "not everyone plays the games, please stick to conversations about Flandre instead of Shinmyoumaru."

That said, the only background characters I find worth mentioning are the Fake-Marisa fox, who's shown up a few times and even reminded the audience of her past appearances, and the kappa gang from WaHH, who show up numerous times in the many chapters that involve kappa. They even got a color picture in one of the volumes: