Author Topic: The White Rose of Chireiden  (Read 132867 times)

Re: The White Rose of Chireiden
« Reply #240 on: July 19, 2011, 04:45:12 AM »
I just have to ask this, but are you still working on this story? I couldn't help but notice it's not had an addition since February. It's a really good story and I'll be extremely saddened to see it end before its...end.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #241 on: August 14, 2011, 05:14:07 AM »
SEE ZUN I CAN UPDATE MY STORY ONCE A YEAR TOO.
This was never dead, I'm just a lazy asshole. I committed in 2009 that I would not stop writing until it's done, and if that means I'm stuck here 'till 2021, then so be it.

This is for Donut's birthday. Happy 19th, m'dear, and here's to many more. BROS4LYFE

The story will be taking a different turn from here on out. It is time for Koishi to start becoming the girl we all know and dodge danmaku from.

Ragazza del Terzo Occhio

“That didn't take too long,” Rin observed as she followed Satori.

“What didn't take too long?” Sumire cocked her head.

“She means that it didn't take very long for me to find her again after giving her a task,” Satori replied for Rin. “Speaking of, Rin...”

“Nothing yet,” Rin replied. “There's a lot of, um... other burnt stuff to sort through.”

Satori's Third Eye rolled in its socket, and then rolled back.

“... you can tell me later if you have to, but you’ll have to tell me. I want to hear it straight from your mouth.”

Rin winced. Sumire glanced up at her face and caught the expression.

“Satori, I...”

Satori stopped walking then, and turned around to face Rin, who didn't slow down fast enough to catch her next step. She came uncomfortably close to Satori, and the pink-haired girl's face was no farther than six inches away from her own.

“Rin, you know as well as I do that I can read your mind. But I shouldn't need my Third Eye to be able to speak with you.” Satori tried to smile, at least a little. “Please, tell me.”

Sumire watched the master and servant in silence.

Rin lowered her eyes and played with her hands over her ash-caked dress. “Forgive me, Satori-sama. I will be honest.” She raised her eyes to meet Satori's. “The Palace, at the very end, was setting on fire by itself, with fire just leaping from one wall to the other. But even that wasn't hot enough to burn... the satori entirely.” Her expression was sad. “Their bones... they're charred, but they're still intact. You could probably... put them all together, too, if you wanted to.”

Satori winced in turn.

“... finding the chests you asked me to find is a bit difficult. We will probably end up throwing all the wreckage into the Hell of Blazing Fires, but I know satori don't dispose of their dead that way... I'm sorry f-for saying all of this,” Rin stammered and closed her mouth.

“No. Don't be.” The kasha's master shook her head. “I preferred hearing it from your mouth instead of your mind. I needed to hear it that way.” And she looked very thoughtful.

“Still.” Rin looked down. “I wouldn't like... someone talking about my family that way.”

Satori seemed to interrupt her thoughts, and looked at Rin. “Yes, you're right. That's why I called you.”

“Huh?” Rin's eyes widened. “Did something happen?!”

“I don't know. I am worried about the kasha. I didn't hear of any of them evacuating.”

“Oh. No, if it's about that...” Rin bit her lip. “How do I say this? Um. I'm quite sure they're fine.”

“Eh? Why?” Now it was Satori's turn to be surprised.

“You see... well, it's like this,” the redhead explained as the small group kept walking, Sumire walking along silently behind the master and servant. “After so many times that our homes were burned down, the elders decided that what we would do was, we would build a machceh, a refuge beneath the ground. We dug out an enormous cavern, and...” Rin smiled a little sheepishly. “Actually, everyone was evacuated into there, and I left so I could find you.”

Satori blinked. “That's.... new.”

“We kept it secret. Actually, we didn't decide to build it until you and-- “ A small pause. “--your sister came to help us fight our last major fire.”

“I see.” The pink-haired girl put a hand to her chin. “Yes, but there's still the chance of surface collapse, isn't there?”

“I doubt it. It was pretty well-built. We shored up the sides and reinforced the ceilings quite well, and stocked it with enough supplies to hold out for many days, as an enormous group.”

“S- supplies?”

“Yes. Emergency supplies.” Rin looked at her master. “Why?”

“How many of those supplies are there?” Satori asked.

“Oh, no,” Rin said, waving her hands. “I don’t need a Terza Occhia to see what you’re thinking, Satori-sama. They will not let you take their supplies! The kasha will not allow you, if you are going to take it away in order to feed those who burn their homes—”

Satori turned on her heel and faced Rin, fire in her eyes.

“I have an entire city to feed today and tomorrow,” Satori said in a low voice. “I cannot be responsible for only your people, Rin.”

“A-aah,” Rin stammered, looking away. “I’m sorry.”

“No, I’m going to be the one who’s sorry,” Satori said with a bitter chuckle. “How many supplies do they have, do you know?”

“Hmm.” Rin rubbed her chin. “I heard them speak of it, once before... they said that, in times of a true emergency, the food down in those caves would feed all our people entirely for a month.”

Satori thought. Hm. I would sell my right hand right now to get census figures for the kasha. But if I remember, we didn’t bother to count them, because each district had a certain amount to pay in tax, and that was all we cared about… she recalled it with distaste.

“Do you remember how many kasha there are?” Satori asked.

“I honestly don’t know.”

“Percentage-wise. Please, this is important.”

“Er... we are a fifth of the population, as I hear it,” Rin stammered.

“Last census was three years ago... if our figure of fifteen thousand people of Chireiden is still accurate, then that means a bit over three thousand people have enough food to eat a month, which means that it will give us... if we ration, a week, maybe two for the entire population.”

“Why all the math?” Rin asked.

Satori didn’t look at her as she replied. “I have to weigh the costs of forcing your people to hand over their food over how much risk to my legitimacy I can afford.”

“Satori-sama, you’re not making any sense...”

Satori didn’t reply. Sumire coughed.

“Rin-san, may I explain?” Sumire offered.

“Will I like what I hear?” Rin asked.

“Not really.” Sumire frowned. “Satori is only just crowned. Already there is opposition to her.”

“Yes. And?”

“Well... er. How to say this.” The fairy captain paused. “She cannot just let everyone starve. So she has to take some... resources from one group, and distribute them amongst all. But this will alienate the kasha population, and right now, Satori-san cannot afford to have any more challenges to her legitimacy.”

“The kasha support you, though,” Rin said to Satori, who glanced over at her. “Because they remember that you've saved them before.”

“They also remember my cousin Miyani,” Satori continued. “She created much goodwill for the throne, if for no other noble. Based on this, I think I can do it, but it will require a bit of skill to get it to go the way I need it to go.”

“How so, Satori-sama?”

“By giving them exactly what they want the most in return.”

“Eh?” Rin asked. “Give them what they want the most? How would you do that?”

“Hey,” the pink-haired girl said with a smirk, pointing to her floating red eye. “There's something to be said for being able to read minds, once in a while.”

“Hey, what are you going to tell them?” Rin asked as Satori continued walking. “Hey! Tell me! Get back here!”

“You’ll find out soon enough.”

-----

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #242 on: August 14, 2011, 05:17:02 AM »
Legenda Fantasia

?... It may be that in the larger design of the universe this invasion from Mars is not without its ultimate benefit for men; it has robbed us of that serene confidence in the future which is the most fruitful source of decadence??

Hirano was sitting on top of the carriage, her head upside-down and poking into the window as Yumemi read. If she was uncomfortable, she didn?t show it. Yumemi hadn't noticed her, either. Kogasa was sitting, rapt on every word Yumemi read. Chiyuri sat next to her, having produced a knife out of some unknown place and cutting up an apple with it.

Yumemi continued. She was nearly done. Kogasa had a much larger attention span than she had been used to working with in her laboratory. She wondered if the little karakasa youkai would be willing to be experimented on... or was that an appropriate thought to be having?

Distracted, she lost her place, but she quickly found it again and continued reading. ?They gibber and grow fiercer, paler, uglier, mad distortions of humanity at last, and I wake, cold and wretched, in the darkness of the night??

Chiyuri had heard it often enough that she knew exactly when to stop cutting slices of apple and looked over to Yumemi just as she came to the end.

?And strangest of all is it to hold my wife's hand again, and to think that I have counted her, and that she has counted me, among the dead.?

Yumemi left off. Kogasa?s eyes were still wide open.

?That was... the end, Kogasa.?

?... eh??

?See, look.? Yumemi turned the book towards her. ?The end. See??

?What? It?s unfinished??

?No, it?s...? Yumemi shook her head. ?That?s where the author wanted to finish it.?

?I don?t get it.? Kogasa wrinkled her nose. ?Why didn?t the author end it with, you know, the aliens being defeated?? She waved her arms. ?You know, with the explosions, the fireworks??

?You know, that is a good question.? The professor scratched her chin. ?I don?t think I?ve ever thought about it, beyond ?that?s just how it was written?. Chiyuri??

Chiyuri seemed as if she was going to respond, but then Hirano spoke up. Or down, as it were. ?The descending action can be just as important as the climax, though.?

Yumemi jumped a little. But she was getting better at hiding it. ?W-why do you say that, Hirano-san??

Hirano's hand came down to rub her chin thoughtfully. ?Well, even though the climax has been resolved with a battle, depending on the story, it's important to show how things have changed now for the protagonists. Right??

?Hmm... I suppose so.? Yumemi didn?t sound convinced.

?Well, it might not be the most dramatic ending, but at the end, the hero?s supposed to learn something, right?? Hirano offered. ?And after the battle is over, they get the chance to put it into words for the audience to know that they?ve changed, and then everyone can get a happy ending. Right??

?Happy endings are all alike. Every unhappy ending is unhappy in its own way.?

?Well, if that?s your cup of tea,? Hirano chuckled. ?That aside, Yumemi-san...?

?Yes??

Hirano turned her head to look at the front of the carriage.

?It appears we have just arrived at our destination.?

?Oh?? Yumemi sat up so quickly she made herself dizzy, and leaned against the wall of the carriage. With her hand on her forehead, she asked, ?so... what now?? It felt weird to think about it, but she recalled, as if in the background, how the carriage had been rattling less and less as she had kept reading.

Hirano raised her head and withdrew, and then a white-red shape streaked across the window. Now standing up outside of the carriage, she opened the door. ?Everyone out.?

Chiyuri came out the door of the carriage first, stretching her legs on the grass. Yumemi, still a little wobbly, climbed down while using the door as her support. ?Ah... grass, that?d explain it.?

?Yes. Hokkai is a very rural province, tucked away in the south-west corner of Makai. The only major government involvement here is the prison. To the point that when people say ?Hokkai?, they?re just talking about the prison.?

Except for Yumemi?s lab. But she didn?t think Hirano needed to know about that.

?How... do you know all of this, Hirano?? Yumemi asked.

?I?ve been here before,? the shrine maiden replied. ?With one of Yakumo?s servants, Meimu.?

?What for?? the scientist asked, looking around. The sun was beginning to go down over the mountains. On the plains they had come over, the day would be shorter, and here the night would fall first. The group was in the shadow of the mountains, and over the mountains?whatever was over there?would have a longer day. Her mind absorbed all of this as a matter of course.

?Trying to find a way in. Turns out gapping straight into the province runs into the psychic barrier that Shinki has over the entire province.? Hirano pointed up. ?It?s most visible at sunset, as a distortion in the light.?

Yumemi did so. Her eyes narrowed and focused to see any such distorti... aahh. There it was, the bending of light where it shouldn?t have been bending. Like the haze of heat from a wood-burning fireplace.

?But... wait a minute, Hirano. Aren?t we inside the barrier??

?Yes, we are,? the miko replied with a grin as Kogasa floated out of the carriage, her umbrella carrying her down. ?You see, Shinki did something rather odd with her barriers.?

?Oh??

?Youkai can?t cross through, in or out, without her express permission. But there?s a way around that. Youkai can cross over if an equal or larger amount of humans cross at the same time.?

?... wait, what?? Yumemi was taken aback. But that would explain how she and Chiyuri had always been able to get in and out of this barrier, apparently without their noticing.

?Yes, I know, it?s a little bit weird. My only guess is that Shinki genuinely overlooked the possibility of humans going through. Neither Makai nor Gensokyo has a terribly large population of humans, anyway. But for whatever reason, the presence of humans masks the presence of youkai. And there are three humans here, and two youkai.? Hirano nodded to herself. ?Yes, it was only with my help that Meimu was able to get into Hokkai at all.?

?And what stopped you from rescuing the Hakurei maiden then?? the scientist asked, kneeling down, partially to keep stretching her legs, partially to get a soil sample to put into a tiny plastic vial, one of many she had in her pockets. She noted the reddish colour of the soil. The air of Makai was filled with some kind of substance that made Yumemi start choking if she breathed in too much, but her experiments in the lab had shown that with water, she would be fine for a while longer. It was the price to be paid for field research. The barrier alone would be a wonderful spell to take back to her world with her.

?The prison itself.? Hirano waved her over. ?Come look.?

Yumemi followed Hirano. The sun was setting, but the sky was still bright enough red to see what Hirano wanted her to see. She followed Hirano to the top of an incline. The shrine maiden pointed down. ?See, look.?

It turned out they were at the top of a precipice, within the mountains. Down in the valley, there were what appeared to be smokestacks dotting the ground, and guard posts, multiple fences, wards and seals. Hirano pulled Yumemi down to a kneeling position, to avoid standing out against the red sky.

?... is that the prison?? Yumemi asked. She?d heard of Hokkai Prison in passing from Shinki, but never bothered to ask, much less see for herself. ?I thought it was a building...?

?Yes, it is. It?s a prison, built into the chasms of the rock itself.? Hirano shook her head. ?Meimu and I could not alone break in, and we couldn?t risk trying if we didn?t think we had a decent shot at success. Otherwise, Shinki would increase her security if we failed.?

?I see,? Yumemi muttered. ?Makes sense. Well, how do we get in??

Hirano pointed down. ?The smokestacks would be the usual way in, wouldn?t they? But no, they lead to furnaces way down in the deep. Too hot for humans. Too hot for youkai short of powerful ice youkai or immortal phoenix girls.? Hirano frowned for a moment. ?Actually, we?re getting in through there.? She pointed at the solid stone walls of the mountains to their left. ?It looks solid, yes? It actually isn?t. Yuka did some snooping around in the provincial archives and found an old rotting volume of Hokkai?s history. It seems Hokkai Prison was once an underground city.?

?An underground city?? Yumemi raised an eyebrow. ?Isn?t that a little... absurd??

?Not at all. There are underground cities in Gensokyo, too, like the city of Chireiden, even though most of them are probably long since abandoned. But it makes sense to build your underground prison within a former city, since it?s all been excavated and built already. In any case, there are vents there in the rock, too, but they?re vents for furnaces that have never been used. There?s no good underground map for this place, however, so once we go in...?

?We?ll be running blind,? Yumemi finished for Hirano. ?And we have no idea what?s down there??

?Not a one,? Hirano said, getting to her feet. ?Shall we get going??

Yumemi looked up at the red streaks in the sky as the sun set. Red, her lucky colour. ?Yes, let?s do this.?

-----

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #243 on: August 14, 2011, 05:18:23 AM »
Hirano and Yuka found themselves at the front of the small expedition. Their task was to head around the rim of the valley, and then climb down and enter the old flue. If they made it that far, then they could worry about the rest.

?Remember, no flashy magic,? Hirano reminded Yuka, who waved it off.

?Yeah, yeah, I got it.? She held her umbrella in her hands. Behind her, Kogasa imitated her.

Chiyuri fiddled with her gun, and showed it to Yumemi. It had been set to low power mode, so there would be no bright flash if she fired. Yumemi nodded her approval, and fidgeted with the cloth of her skirt, reassured once she felt the hard metal inside. But if she used them, it would be too loud... hm, so she?d have to rely on Chiyuri for safety. She made sure to walk behind her, so if anything happened to her, it?d happen to Chiyuri first.

There was a slight nagging in her mind about how cowardly it was, but she figured that at least one of them needed to survive to bring the knowledge of magic back to their world, and she figured that it might as well be her.

Even so, she couldn't bring herself to shield herself entirely behind her blonde lab assistant, so she walked by her side. At least she'd have the chance to push her out of the way if anything went wrong.

?All right,? Hirano said in a low voice as they walked, away from the sheer edge of the cliff so they wouldn?t fall. She had retrieved an enormous length of rope from the carriage, and had it slung around her right shoulder. ?We?re close now. Follow me.?

The party followed. There did not seem to be any patrols on this particular level of the mountain; it was either an oversight on the prison guards? part, or the patrollers were slacking. Either way, it seemed that letting the security become lax before their arrival had been a good idea.

The sun was halfway down the horizon, now. The sky was streaked red and purple, and it shimmered, a phenomenon that would have normally indicated that Yumemi wouldn't be able to breathe too well without a gas mask. But Hokkai, she had noticed, had thinner air than the plains of Makai, possibly due to higher elevation. The miasma was very weak here-- much weaker than it had been in Vina, at least. Well, if it meant that she wouldn't start feeling strangely ill in a few hours, she welcomed it.

She was thinking about that just as she bumped into Yuka's back. ?Ah-- oh, sorry, Kazami-san,? she apologized.

Yuka grunted. ?Stupid twilight.? She grabbed on to Yumemi's sleeve. ?Come on, since you're making me trip, then at least help out.?

?Eh?? But the youkai didn't let go. She just frowned some more.

Hirano heard Yuka's voice and turned around, then nodded. ?Ahh, I see the effects of sunset are setting in.?

?Effects of sunset?? Yumemi asked, noticing Kogasa's sandal bumping into a small rock.

?Youkai are primarily nocturnal, after all. Their vision during the day is good. Their vision at night is even better. There's one exception.? Hirano pointed at the sun setting over the mountains. ?Twilight. Their eyesight gets laughably bad. Which is why we're making this crossing right now.?

?Ahh.? Yumemi glanced over the cliff edge. ?So none of those patrolling youkai...??

?They see blurs right now, if anything. But we don't have much longer. Let's go.?

Hirano picked up the pace. Yuka refused to admit that her vision wasn't that good, and so she held on to Yumemi's sleeve. The professor smiled and helped her along without letting on that she knew. Kogasa began to slow down, too; Chiyuri offered her her arm, and Kogasa accepted, floating along behind Chiyuri.

The shrine maiden seemed very sure of herself, Yumemi noticed. Well, she had been here before. Ahead of them, Hirano paced around, looking for something on the ground. With a small ?ah,? she knelt to inspect it.

?Here we are,? she said, nodding. She pulled a few rocks out of the way to reveal a metal hook that had been driven into the ground?It wasn?t the guards that had put it there, either. She pulled the rope off of her shoulder and began to wind the rope through the hook.

Yuka released Yumemi's arm and grunted, not saying a word. Yumemi took it as a thanks and laughed, a little nervously. ?W-we're climbing down using that rope??

?It's honestly not that steep, but I refuse to leave this to chance. It's surprisingly windy next to the walls.? Hirano secured the knot, and nodded. ?I'll go first. Follow me into the ventilation shaft, and quick. We don't have much time. Kogasa, can you go last and untie the knot before you come down??

?Of course!? Kogasa stood at attention.

?Well, then,? Hirano said, throwing the rope over the cliff edge. ?Follow me.? She picked up the length of rope, walked to the edge, and hopped over.

Yumemi followed her to the cliff edge, looking down and seeing where she ended up. She was right; it wasn't a vertical cliff face, but it was still too risky for squishy humans, and more so if they didn't want to make a commotion.

Hirano ran across the rocks like a goat, sure-footed and confident even though a single misstep could mean that she fell. The rope she carried was wrapped around her wrist a few times, and Yumemi was glad that she had carried so much rope to begin with. She wouldn?t be as confident, she knew that much. If she died here, that would be a disaster for science.

The miko stopped, and waved up at Yumemi, then pointed down at her feet. The redhead understood that she couldn?t yell, not in a canyon where the echoes would reach the ground floor. The youkai couldn?t see well in the sunset thanks to that miasma, but they could hear well enough. Yumemi raised her arm a little, and Hirano nodded, and then... disappeared.

There, time to go. Normally she would have sent Chiyuri down before her, but if Hirano was there, she?d be safe. Yumemi hadn?t seen her in action, but she got the feeling that the miko was good at combat.

She turned around and faced the others. Yuka looked to her. ?She?s made it down safely, then??

Ahh, Yuka couldn?t see Hirano, because her vision was too blurry. No wonder she?d let Yumemi watch on her own. The scientist nodded. ?Aye, I?ll go after her right now.?

?I?ll go with you. Chiyuri and Kogasa will come down together after us.? Yuka didn?t ask, she stated, and Yumemi knew better than to disagree.

?Then let?s go, Kazami-san.? These youkai were strange in the extreme. They looked like humans (save the oddities like green hair) but they weren?t humans, and the better-spoken they were, the older they were, and along with that age seemed to come great pride. Yumemi had made a point of not embarrassing any youkai she was around; Shinki had been forgiving when she was just a recent guest in Pandemonium Palace and had made some errors of courtesy, but Yuka was not a youkai to be trifled with.

Yuka wouldn?t like to think that she needed Yumemi?s help for something as simple as climbing down a wall, but she did. If she had tripped earlier just walking, then climbing down a wall would be a lot riskier, but her pride wouldn?t allow her to admit that.

Yumemi thought for a moment, and then figured out a solution. She extended her hand to the youkai, holding the rope in the other. ?Kazami-san, will you help me descend??

?Eh?? Yuka looked uncertain as Yumemi switched hands and put the rope in Yuka?s hand.

?Here, you carry the rope, and I?ll hold onto your hand. If I fall, you can catch me, since you?re much stronger than I am.?

?But why don?t you just hold on to the rope yourself?? Yuka asked, walking with Yumemi to the cliff edge.

Yumemi exerted gentle pressure on the rope to keep Yuka from walking right off the edge, passing it off as the pressure from the rope?s mooring on top of the cliff. ?Because of.... offf.... ffffriction burns. Yes, if I fall, I?ll just drop the rope instead.?

?Ah, that makes sense.? Yuka nodded. ?Then I?ll help you down.?

Yumemi smiled. Success. ?Thank you...?

But then--

She bit her lip to not let out more than a small yelp of surprise as Yuka pulled on her hand and held her tightly by her side. ?Ah-- Kazami-san...?!?

?Hold on tight, then!? The youkai jumped off the cliff before Yumemi, Chiyuri, or Kogasa could react, still holding on tight to both the rope and the squishy human.

Wha-- Not success. This wasn?t good at all!

It took every ounce of self-control for Yumemi not to scream, with her brain reminding her that she was being held tight by someone with very, very poor vision as she fell down the side of a mountain. She wanted to close her eyes, but the fear kept them open.

Yuka was swinging down now, zooming towards the cliff face. She stuck out her legs, and the rushing wind pushed her skirt up to her thighs, revealing brown laced boots and a surprisingly tanned, smooth pair of legs, which Yumemi noticed only in passing, as it was a distraction from the incoming cliff face that threatened to turn her into a very squishy human.

But Yuka?s legs were strong enough that instead of just bouncing off, as she feared, her boots made indents in the wall, and Yuka found a foothold on which to stand up straight.

?All right, Yumemi-san, right down there, right?? Yuka asked, smiling, and Yumemi wondered if she had done this on purpose, somehow.

Indeed, for all the slack Hirano had left on the rope, she?d also anchored the other end down to the hole she?d entered through. Yuka?s wild swing had been halted for that reason. Now at the literal end of the rope, Yumemi grit her teeth and concentrated, fighting off the haze of nausea that was rising up in her sinuses. ?Y-yes, right here.?

The opening was narrow, as expected of a fireplace flue or ventilation shaft. It seemed Hirano had just put down a metal hook there, the same as the one from atop the mountain edge, to keep the rope in place. It was narrow, but Yumemi would just have to get through. More worrisome was the simple fact that it was vertical. If she fell down too quickly, there was the very real possibility of breaking her legs from the landing.

?Don?t worry. I can see in the darkness, if not the sunset. Catching someone won?t be a problem.?

Yumemi turned around to see Yuka giving her... a surprisingly gentle smile. She wondered if she was still dizzy or seeing things, but Yuka continued smiling, and it was not at all the smile she had when she was facing someone on the field of combat. ?Thank you, Okazaki-sensei.?

Sensei? The professor wasn?t much interested in words or how formal they were, but even she knew on instinct that somehow, she?d just won Yuka?s respect. Wait... had Yuka known how she?d been maneuvering herself to not insult Yuka?s pride this entire time?

From the grin on Yuka?s face, she guessed yes.

Now it was Yuka?s turn to go down before her, and Yumemi nodded. ?Thank you,? she replied.

Yuka touched the crown of her head. If a hat had been there, she would have just tipped it. Then the youkai jumped, sliding down the fireplace flue and disappearing into the darkness.

Yumemi had no idea how far down it went, so she waited to hear something like a thud to confirm that Yuka had landed. In the meantime, she looked up. There were Chiyuri and Kogasa, holding on to one another with Kogasa holding her umbrella open. They were descending only slowly, and she saw that Chiyuri had unhooked the rope from the top; she was disturbed at first, since that meant that they wouldn?t be climbing up the same way, but then again, if a patrol came by, they?d see the rope and know that someone had broken in. Better to have a difficulty getting out, once they?d obtained their objective, than have difficulties getting in.

She sure hoped Hirano had the right idea in cutting off their return route. However, she didn?t seem like the type to not have a plan-- and even if she didn?t, Yumemi had the feeling that Yukari Yakumo definitely would. And even if it failed... Yumemi touched the hem of her cape. Well, she knew that she, and probably Chiyuri, would be getting out.

She heard an echo come down from within the flue, and turned her attention back downwards. As a precaution, she pulled two metallic, hand-sized objects, and fit them onto both of her hands. She wondered if she?d have to use these, or if she?d have to end up revealing her entire arsenal. Revealing her secrets didn?t sound very appealing, especially if she?d be revealing them to dirty youkai.

She threw her sleeves down over her hands to hide them, put her hands on the edge of the opening, and fell down into the darkness.

For a brief moment, she thought of superheroes and their transformation chutes; they went in one end as regular people, and emerged in full uniform. Unfortunately, the only heroic clothing she had was her cape, and she liked to think that the cape made her more of a villain than a heroine. This wasn?t a superhero chute, but she did realize that the walls of the inside were surprisingly smooth, so apart from friction burns, she wouldn?t get too many injuries.

Her backside was probably filthy, though. Washing her cape would be a pain.

She breathed in and out, regretting how dirty the air was. Keeping her cool was the most important teaching she?d ever gotten from that school, along with keeping her balance. She had her hands ready if she needed friction to slow her down, but it seemed that the fireplace flue was very straight, with no sudden turns or curves. She zoomed down into the earth.

There, a faint light. She only barely got a chance to see it before she was in it, and out of the flue. And sure enough, her landing was stopped by a strong pair of arms. Yuka?s.

?Ugh, you?re dirty,? Yuka complained as she set Yumemi down. Was this her way of saying she was welcome? Who knew?

?You?re not much better yourself,? Yumemi replied as she brushed herself off as best she could, glad the darkness concealed her dirtiness.

Speaking of... She looked to see the source of light she?d seen earlier, and found it in the tiny spark of the sacred fire Hirano had on the floor, inside its tiny pagoda. The miko was kneeling on the ground, a map spread out before her.

?Please tell me you?ve got a plan for getting out of here,? Yumemi said.

?Huh?? Hirano looked up to see her. ?Okazaki-san. Oh, getting out will be the easy part.? She returned to tracing the map with her finger. ?We don?t particularly have to be subtle about it if we don?t want to, especially if being subtle will take too long. We just have to get out from under the prison with the Hakurei Miko quickly.?

She must have seen that Yumemi had a sudden frown on her face, because she hurried to explain. ?Ah, but we can still get out more subtly. I intended to have Yuka fly the Hakurei Miko out, and as for the rest of us, we can climb back out through here, hopefully, though it all depends on... come down, look at this.?

She tugged on the hem of Yumemi?s cape. The professor obliged, kneeling down to see by the light of the sacred fire. It was a map, but it wasn?t a map of any city she knew.

?Wait. Is this a map of the prison?? she asked.

?Yes. And I paid a dear price to get it.? Hirano bit her lip, but she didn?t explain. Instead, she went on. ?It?s old, though, very old. At this point... Well, I am not entirely sure it?s too accurate. Look at this.? She pointed at a box off to the far right. The writing above it said cocina/alacena, and it wasn?t a language Yumemi could recognize. ?We?re right here. This is a kitchen, apparently.? Hirano moved her finger down. ?And here is the staircase... escaleras, right over there,? she said, pointing to a few crates over a meter away from them. ?But I have no guarantee of how accurate this is anymore. This was a very long time ago, and this was long since reconverted into a prison. Once we leave this room, we?re mostly on our own.?

Yumemi was temporarily distracted as Chiyuri and Kogasa fell down the chute, smacking into Yuka?s chest. She caught them with a slight grunt, then set Chiyuri down, but she held Kogasa up by her shirt collar and dusted her off, shaking her head. Behind them, the rope that had helped them climb down the cliff was snaking down into the small kitchen.

?Do we have any idea where the Hakurei Miko is being held?? Yumemi asked.

?Well... not properly,? Hirano admitted. ?But she cannot be held anywhere else but the lowest levels, by necessity. The further she is from Gensokyo, the more quickly the Barrier will wither away.? She pointed down to the lowest levels. ?We?re at least... eight levels above that. We have to figure out a way to get down there, and get back up with her.?

Yumemi rubbed the metal guards on her hands, fighting back the feeling of hopelessness that had just risen up in her. ?How on earth are we going to get down there and back up in time, Hirano, if we don?t know the way down??

?... I really don?t know.? She sighed. ?But we have to try.? Hirano looked up at Yumemi, and for the first time, the professor saw the veneer of confidence fall away from the miko?s face. ?We either do it, or... a lot of people are going to die, Yumemi-san. I can?t let that happen, no matter how hopeless.?

Yumemi weighed her options. She wouldn?t be able to get out without their help now, and if the Hakurei Miko wasn?t saved in time, she would lose a priceless source of magic and information. Once the people of Gensokyo were saved, a lot of people in her own homeland could be saved, too.

The redhead nodded. ?I?m with you, Hirano-san.?

The miko nodded, a faint smile on her face. ?Thank you. I will need it.?

?So,? Yuka cut in, stepping closer to them. ?How much longer do we have left??

?Uhhh...? Hirano closed her eyes. ?Four... four hours. Maybe a bit longer.?

?Four hours, nine floors, and we?re at the very top, will probably get lost, and have to get down there before she dies.? Yuka nodded. ?Well, then.? She strode to the crates, and pushed them back a meter, kicking up dust. When it cleared, she had revealed a wooden door on the floor, with a metal ring to pull on to open it up.

Behind that door, no one knew what was in store.

Yuka grinned. ?Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate,? she murmured, and threw it open.

-----

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #244 on: August 14, 2011, 05:18:55 AM »
?This is... something,? Chiyuri murmured, shaking her head.

?Hmm?? Yumemi asked.

?You saw that map, right? Nine levels. Reminds me a bit of the Inferno,? the assistant professor replied in a low voice, the faint hum of her gun by her hand.

?It could be.... maybe. I don?t read as much as you do. Divine Comedy, right??

?Yes.? Chiyuri shook her head again. ?It?s really shocking how much o? what we find here is based on things from the outside world.?

?Hm. Yeah, you?re right.? Yumemi furrowed her brows. ?That is kind of strange.?

?I wonder,? the blonde said in a low voice. ?How many other things do you imagine come over the border from our world into this one??

?We do,? Yumemi replied. ?Hmm...?

?What are you thinking??

?If I came up with a theory about that,? Yumemi said, ?I'd learn how to take things from one world to the other.?

?Like magic?? the blonde offered.

?Like people,? her boss replied.

?Shh,? Hirano said, waving her hand. ?We're moving.?

The first level of the prison seemed rather... quiet. It was odd for a prison, Yumemi assumed-- she'd never been in a prison to make a good comparison. But it was definitely unguarded.

Yuka turned her head around a corner, and waved them forward. The humans followed along quietly; Kogasa, somehow, managed to be dead silent. Hirano held three long thin metal-looking needles in her hand as she came right on Yuka's heels, while Yuka had her umbrella at the ready.

?It's quiet... too quiet,? Chiyuri said with a small grin as they followed.

?Stop trying to make me paranoid,? Yumemi told her. ?But it is strange. I wonder...?

They slowed down as Yuka and Hirano advanced, and on a whim, Yumemi moved to the side of the dim hallway and stood on her toes to peer through the iron bars that covered the small window set into the wooden door.

?Chiyuri.?

?What??

?There's no one here,? Yumemi replied, peering into the dark. She realized that she could see into the dark a little, and in the back of her mind, she figured that her pupils had expanded to let more light into her eyes. Speaking of.... ?Pass me your flashlight.?

Chiyuri handed it over, and Yumemi flashed it in, wincing a little as the bright beam stung her eyes. She pushed on the door a bit too hard, and found that it swung open easily enough?thankfully without making a sound. She flashed the light around, and confirmed her suspicions, closing the door behind her.

?Nope. There?s no one here,? Yumemi said. ?Which explains why we haven?t found any resistance so far.?

?Looks like it?s an emptier prison than we suspected,? Chiyuri began, but then Hirano hissed back at them.

Yumemi and Chiyuri approached her from behind. ?What is it?? Yumemi asked, keeping her voice down.

Hirano readied her needles. ?Looks like we?ve finally encountered some guards.?

?Listen, Hirano-san. All the cells we?ve just passed were empty. All the guards have to be down that hallway.?

?Eh?? Hirano raised her eyebrow. ?I can?t believe I didn?t notice... hm.? She pulled on Yuka?s sleeve. ?Yuka, I?ve got an idea...?

?I think I know what it is, too,? Yuka said with a grin.

-----

The sound of metal falling on the floor was enough reason to come closer and look. The echo of the guards calling out to whoever was there resonated in the empty chambers.

Yumemi had her own hands at the ready, in case Hirano needed some kind of backup. Chiyuri had her gun, but she concealed even the faintest glow by hiding it behind Yumemi?s cape.

Their footsteps echoed on the stone floor. They were coming closer. Coming into range.

Yumemi prepared herself to duck to the ground or draw, or both.

The first guard entered her vision. She assumed it was a he on reflex. He was wearing a helmet, so she couldn't see his face. He turned and waved his buddies forward, into their trap.

And then they had them.

?SURPRISE!? Kogasa yelled from behind them. In panic, they all turned around, and those with arrows nocked on their bows shot them, only to find that there was no one there.

?Too easy,? Yuka remarked as she swung her umbrella with immense force, knocking them down like bowling pins.

In a flash, Hirano was on them, using what appeared to be a small blowdart with some sort of paralyzing agent on the tip. Immobile and weak, Yuka began to pick them up and strip them of their uniforms, then tossed them into one of the dark open-door jail cells.

?Is that all of them?? Yumemi asked, still ready.

?I think it is, actually,? Hirano replied. ?I don't hear any more. Do you, Yuka-san??

?I don't hear a thing. Awful few guards on this level.?

?Shinki was probably relying on the aboveground guards to take out anyone who escaped,? Chiyuri offered from behind Yumemi. ?I know I'd do that.?

?Me too,? Yumemi said as Kogasa emerged from her hiding spot in one of the jail cells. ?Oh, good job on that. I didn't know you could throw your voice.?

Kogasa grinned, a bit sheepish. ?I'm surprised, too. That almost never works.?

?Heh, good thing it did this time, eh?? Yuka chuckled, ruffling Kogasa's hair, but instead of being pleased, the smaller youkai visibly blanched. Yumemi was unnerved too. Yuka had an uncanny tendency of sounding threatening whenever she was complementing someone. Or maybe that was on purpose?

When Yuka walked away to strip off more armour, Yumemi came up and pet her on the head. ?Chiyuri,? she said to her assistant. ?Tense, are you??

?Heh,? Chiyuri nodded. ?You noticed??

?I noticed because you weren't chattering away like you always do,? Yumemi replied. ?And I miss it already.?

?Once we get out of here, I'll talk your ears off,? the blonde said.

?Agreed.?

Chiyuri smiled and relaxed her grip on her laser gun. ?Ey, Hirano, mind passing me one of those??

Hirano was laying out sets of the Hokkai Prison uniform. She nodded and tossed a helmet over to Chiyuri. ?Give that one to Okazaki-san. And this one is yours,? she continued, throwing Chiyuri a second one.

?Are you going to wear it?? Chiyuri asked as Yumemi turned the helmet over in her hands.

It was a helmet that covered the entire head, and for this reason Yumemi was hesitant. She tried it on, and though she could see Chiyuri just fine through the front glass, it impaired her hearing. She shook her head as she pulled it off, putting her hair back into place. ?No, not at all. It'll harm my hearing, and worse, it ruins my peripheral vision. Even if it does allow me to see in the dark.?

?It has night vision?? Chiyuri tried on her own helmet. ?Hmm.? She pulled it back off and pulled what appeared to be a bowie knife out of her pocket, but a small laser shot out instead. Yumemi was quietly proud of it; it was one of her smallest inventions, but it proved that magic-- or at least a variant of it-- was far from uncontrollable.

?I'll cut this into pieces,? the blonde said, holding the helmet against the wall as she began to cut into whatever material it was made out of. ?Give me a few minutes.?

In the meantime, Kogasa had geared up in the uniform of the Hokkai prison guards. It looked comically large on her, so Yuka tore off the bottom of the pant legs so they wouldn't drag on the floor past her feet. Hirano had managed to tuck the wide legs of her hakama into the uniform pants, but not the white gi she wore, so she pulled off the white robe of the miko and threw on a dirty-looking uniform jacket. Yuka had put on the jacket quite easily, but didn't seem to be eager to put on the pants, and Yumemi knew that no one could force her.

Chiyuri hmmed in concentration as she continued cutting away at the parts of the helmet she didn't like, starting with the ears and working her way forward. Yumemi didn't much like the idea of wearing the rest of the uniform, for multiple reasons-- not only did they clash with her sense of style in the worst manner, they also didn't seem to have as many secret pockets to stash weapons away into. Her cape, in particular, would be difficult to reconcile to this.

In the end she decided she would put it on. But she wouldn't take off her cape. Her cape was the best armor in her entire arsenal. And Gensokyo wouldn't go up in flames for it. Probably.

Ugh, now she remembered why she didn't like pants. She did not much enjoy the feeling of coarse cloth against the smooth skin of her legs. The only reason she wore her skirt as long as she did was for concealment, not enjoyment, and only because this skirt in particular was quite soft.

Still, she swallowed her annoyance, unzipped her skirt, and pulled the pants on, keeping perfect balance on one leg as she did so. The jacket was easy enough to pull over her long-sleeved shirt and red vest, but she did have to re-adjust her cape so that it didn't press down on her neck.

?Say,? Yuka began, looking at her. ?You're not taking off your cape??

?No way,? Yumemi replied.

?Well, we can't use magic down here. I hope the cape can protect you.?

?Wait... what??

Yuka had been walking away from her, and now she turned around.

?I thought you knew. We can't use magic down here.? She shook her head. ?Shinki at least had the foresight to place magical wards on the entire prison. Maybe you didn't feel the ripple in the air as you fell through the air shaft-- that was the seal.? Yuka opened and closed her hand and flicked her fingertips, only creating a few sparks. She frowned and closed her hand again. ?Well, truthfully, it's not a complete seal. It's more like a dampener. You need immense power to be able to get even the smallest reaction.?

A magic suppressant? Well then. Yumemi fiddled with her sleeves. ?Wait, does that mean you can't use your Master Spark??

?Of course I can.? Yuka grinned, and her shiny white teeth gleamed a little in the dark. ?I am the strongest of all youkai, after all. Only my power is strong enough to ignore that dampener.?

Yumemi stared at her for a few seconds, not blinking.

?... I can tell you're on to me, though,? she said with a slightly more honest grin. ?Shinki isn't a pushover by any means, and her dampener really does affect me. I'm going to assume that any Master Sparks I throw around will be at half power, at most.?

?Half power?? Yumemi remembered the Master Spark. Last time they'd fought, she had managed to trick a fight-happy Yuka into shooting at her through a small copse of trees, thinking it would protect her. It had blasted through the trees, not even giving them enough time to have the decency to catch fire. Seeing herself destroying nature, Yuka had collapsed onto her knees, all her battle lust gone, and she had gone out of her way to replant the new ones. That was probably the only reason she had lived.

On the other hand, that same fight was when Yumemi's cape had really proven itself. Yes, this cape was all the armor she needed.

?Just half power.? Yuka sighed. ?Ah well. But if I end up using a Master Spark, that's bad news to begin with.?

?I hope it's not necessary, then,? Yumemi replied, easing herself back into the conversation.

Yuka smiled. ?Knowing our luck, it will be.?

-----

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #245 on: August 14, 2011, 05:22:48 AM »
Non tutte le leggende sono belle.

---

“Right then. There, that's perfect.”

“Hmmm... are you sure about this, Yumemi?”

I flashed her a grin that I hoped was reassuring. “Even if I weren't, I wouldn't tell you, now would I?”

“Ha ha.” Chiyuri laughed. It had a nervous undertone.

I softened my grin into a smile. “Yes, I'm sure.”

Chiyuri returned the smile. “Well, okay, then.”

She probably didn't believe me, which was fine. I had no idea if I was telling the truth or not. Sure hoped I was.

“Right then, what exactly do you want me to do?” she asked as I picked up the cape and began to walk to the testing chamber. She followed, of course.

“It should be easy,” I told her. “All you have to do is hold that thing up until the monster starts spewing magic at you.”

“You mean, the youkai?”

“Youkai, monster, same difference.” I shrugged. “Anyway, it should work like a charm. And if not, I trust that you can get out of its reach pretty easily.”

“I know I can.” Chiyuri gave me a smile.

“Good. That's what I like to hear.” I held the door open for her, and she walked in. I closed it behind her and I went to the controls.

The testing chamber had been designed by me, and built by me with Chiyuri's help. It was where most of my work got done these days, apart from the laboratory. I pressed a few buttons, and the shooting range went back behind sliding metal panels, while the obstacle course rose up from the ground. Chiyuri knew it like the back of her hand, and if anything went wrong with the test it would be very easy for her to duck into one of the trapdoors and escape.

The subject, on the other hand, would get lost. I cared about Chiyuri getting out of there alive, but the subject didn't need to. He was here just for the test.

I fidgeted with my skirts.

“Bringing up subject number...” I looked at the readout. “Number 72.” I actually remembered which one this one was; it was a hare youkai, one of the earliest I had caught but one of the longest to be broken. He was in a large cage, lying on his side, a slight bit of foam dripping out of the side of his mouth. He came up into the room via the platform that carried the subjects up from the subject storage area.

Ah, looked like he was in hare form. Well, that wouldn't do. I raised the plastic cover over a button, turned it up to the right, then hit it. An electric shock to wake him up. “Rise and shine,” I laughed a little as his head jerked up.

This was always my favourite part of the testing. The initial chase.

I flipped open a plastic cover and hit a red button. This was the start button. It was also Chiyuri’s signal to act. Soon, all the platforms would start moving, but for now it was just the one directly in front of her. It came along with Number 72.

It was a carrot. I knew that hares ate all manner of plants, but carrots were the easiest to hold onto for these tests. Just grabbing it had the intended effect; Number 72’s nose twitched, and he turned his head towards the carrot.

Bingo~

Hunger was the best motivation. For hunger, humans would ignore all senses of morality in the pursuit of food, and youkai would return back to the beasts they really were. Hunger was also great in that it was quite straightforward of a motivation; there wasn't much thinking involved beyond “I have to eat or I will die”, if that. Returning to the primal state-- what a useful tool hunger was for inspiring just that!

Chiyuri grabbed the carrot and ran.

The hare youkai Number 72's eyes widened-- enraging attempt, successful. It got onto its feet with strength I figured was surprising to the creature, and bounded after Chiyuri, whose red cape fluttered behind her.

It leaped into the center of the room, and that's when the obstacle course began in earnest.

The platforms began to rise from the ground, moving up and down at seemingly random (but calculated) times and patterns. All of them were rectangles, and the entire floor was patterned this way. Chiyuri knew the pattern, as well as all the hiding spots that would appear and disappear with these platforms. The youkai did not, and he raced right into a rising rectangle, bruising his nose.

The speed was good for now. I let my eyes leave the machine and looked up through the window to watch. I picked up the headset and flipped the switch on it upwards. “Chiyuri.”

“Loud and clear, bosswoman,” Chiyuri replied. Various camera angles revealed where Chiyuri was-- crouched on a sideways-moving platform, cape draped on her back and the carrot in her right hand. “How aggressive do you want this to get?”

“As much as you can, please. This is the cape I'll be taking to see Yuka in a few days.”

“Oh, damn. Are you sure this is a strong enough youkai to measure that?”

“If my calculations have all turned out correct and if I applied that damned texturing correctly, any youkai should be fine. Their magic is all the same at the core. The only thing to watch out for here are lasers.”

“But I like lasers!” Chiyuri replied, climbing a moving rectangle up to the ceiling. “In fact, I like them so much that I want them as my personal danmaku.”

“I hate lasers and I will never use them. But if you get this done right, you can have any laser you want. I will program that shit personally for you.”

“Excellent,” the blonde assistant grinned. “I've rubbed off on you, sensei!”

“What do you mean?” I frowned, feeling my cheeks start burning.

Chiyuri pointed right at the spot in the wall beyond which I stood, with the benefit of one-sided glass. “I finally taught you how to use swear words!”

“H-hey! Get back to work! And stop chattering so much!”

My assistant snickered. “You got it, bosswoman.”

She reached up to the ceiling, where there were a series of rungs, not unlike a playground's swinging bars-- which is what I had based that on. Through my headset I heard the small catch of breath that came from Chiyuri's catching one of the rungs and dangling from it, two meters above thehare youkai 72.

She released one rung, hanging from only one arm. The otherwise unnoticed muscles of her right arm stood out, the veins bold against her skin, and she used her loose left arm to dangle the carrot above the hare Number 72.

When I’d first begun to catch youkai for the experiments, I wondered if the animal-types were similar to their more mundane counterparts. It turned out that they were similar in many things, mostly diet and behaviour, though there were some enhancements brought on by having access to magic. Fundamentally, however, they were the same animals. Which meant that hares, like rabbits, had a very blatant blind spot in their vision-- right in front of them.

To make up for this lack of sight (and otherwise grainy vision), they had an amazing sense of smell. But Chiyuri was concealing most of her scent behind the cape which she'd let fall in front of her. So all he could smell was the carrot.

Chiyuri dropped it on cue, and the hare 72 leapt up, a small amount of drool coming out of his mouth as he opened it wide to catch the only food he'd seen in a full week.

“Go!” I whispered into from my headset to hers, and Chiyuri dropped herself from the ceiling rung. Blinded by hunger, the hare 72 didn't have time to react as she snatched the carrot out of its unaware paw-hands, and pushed it over with the simple application of hand to forehead. It was too stunned to react as fast as it would have otherwise, and she took full advantage.

I frowned. Chiyuri had disobeyed orders.

The hare Number 72 fell backwards, already recovering from its shock, just in time for Chiyuri to pull herself up and over a moving rectangular platform, into the moving maze. It called out in an oddly high-pitched voice, like a whine that would have been speech had it not been so thirsty.

I noted with some pleasure that I had managed a secondary goal-- to force it to not speak in human speech any longer.

Chiyuri was back to teasing her prey to mindless anger again. She leapt over its head, jumping from one side of the maze to the other to confuse her opponent, red cape fluttering behind. The youkai whined, showing its teeth in an unforgiving snarl as it clawed at the air. It was running on pure adrenaline, by this point. Chiyuri would finish it shortly.

But not, I told myself, if she didn't listen to me. I fiddled with the volume adjuster and spoke at the wire that connected my mouthpiece to Chiyuri's earphones.

“What was that all about just then?” I asked, hoping my voice sounded demanding enough.

“Aw, you know. Heat of the moment.” A gigantic lie. Chiyuri wasn't even sweating.

“Liar. Why didn't you kick it in the face like I told you to earlier? Like I explained earlier today?”

“I missed,” Chiyuri said, and the seventh camera revealed that the blonde was currently moving in a circle around the maze, letting the hare 72 catch a whiff of the carrot whenever she was close.

“We cannot do this test unless you are willing to do your damn job,” I insisted, rubbing my forehead, already expecting a headache. Why did Chiyuri always have to make things difficult?

“Look, you told me to aggravate it, and I have aggravated it. Like I do you, bosswoman.” She scanned her vicinity for one of the cameras, found the fourth camera, flashed it a grin. “See, right now, your lasers would hurt more than any--”

“You do not distract me.” I cut her off. “Kick it in the face. Get its nose bloody. Get it mad.”

Chiyuri paused for a moment, which was her version of a stammer. Then she laughed it off, a blatantly delayed reaction, while turning so that I couldn’t see her face from any angle. “C'mon, sensei, isn't your cape red enough for any bullfight?”

Arrrrrrgh. “I mean it, Chiyuri. Stop playing with me. Kick it in the face or get out of my laboratory.”

Another pause. Longer this time. “I can get it mad without having to do that.”

“You can annoy it like a fly annoys an animal, yes. But I thought we agreed that we’d never be able to test out how well it works if you don’t make the damn thing start seeing red!”

“I’m not going to hit that thing!” Chiyuri snapped.

Now it was my turn to pause.

“You...”

“I mean it!” She turned on her heel now, the red cape swishing around her arms. “You wanna hit that thing, come in here and do it. But I am not going to do that for you.”

“... really...”

I felt my right hand turn into a fist as she glared through the video camera straight at me.

“I don’t understand. What’s so bad about hitting an...”

Her blue eyes were so disconcerting.

“... an abomination like that?”

“You think that’s an abomination?!” Chiyuri would have yelled more, but the hare Number 72 had heard the racket, and was coming at her. She ducked and rolled into a gap that was fast closing, diving into the moving rectangle maze. When it followed, she did not return the swipe it threw at her, but only let it graze her and the cape, then used her left hand to pull herself onto a rising platform and over, disorienting the creature.

“That’s LIFE, Yumemi! Get used to it!” she yelled, not looking at any particular camera, but staring right through the glass at me again, as if she could actually see.

“Youkai aren’t sentient,” I replied through gritted teeth.

“Oh, yeah? Then why are you making me test this shit out for you if Yuka would be so easy to beat?!”

I leaned forward on the desk, glaring back through the glass at Chiyuri, as if it had any effect. “Because I wouldn’t go into a fight with a lion bare-handed! Just because they’re animals doesn’t mean they’re not danger--”

“But if they’re animals, then even this is a violation of ethics, you MORON!”

My least favourite word in the world. I could hardly keep from punching the glass in anger.

“Ethics,” I began as slow as I could, packing all the venom I possibly could into that word. “... ethics. World’s greatest excuse for failures to claim that they succeeded.”

“Damn it, Yumemi!”

To my horror, she dropped the carrot. Right in the center platform. And she stood there, and pointed at me.

“Have you forgotten what you came here for?”

Okay, now she was really pushing my buttons.

“I came here for science!” I hissed back into the mouthpiece. “Not for you to cower like a teenager who’s whining about the latest chore she doesn’t want to do!”

The exhausted hare youkai 72 crawled over onto one of the rising platforms. Chiyuri saw it, and so did I.

“Call me names if you like, but that doesn’t stop this from you going overboard. How far do you think ethics committees will repudiate your work when we return, eh?”

“Ideas are judged by their successes. There are a whole lot of things in science that could have never been learned if a few people hadn’t gotten trampled on the way.”

“Rosalind Franklin, sensei! What happened to her could happen to you!”

The allusion wasn’t lost on me. Okazaki and DNA were related words. I racked my brain for something I could use as leverage on her. “And yourself, Chiyuri? Remember, all that footage of you and the electricity?”

“Don’t try to blackmail me,” she scowled. The hare 72’s vision was weak, but he could still see the gray and red blob behind the carrot. He didn’t dare approach.

“Our careers will both be ruined, Chiyuri, and you know it.” I was furious, at myself. I wasn't Archimedes, but I wanted to move the world-- but if I couldn't find the lever that moved Chiyuri, then I could say goodbye to that ambition.

She sneered. “When did you ever care about your career or your reputation or anything like that? You're already on the fringes of academia. If you cared that much, you wouldn't have let yourself go that far.”

The hare youkai Number 72 seemed to decide that if the blur wasn't moving, then it was safe. He came forward, still weak.

I needed something. Fast. Without a lever, I'd--

... oh, wait. How could I have forgotten?

“Maybe,” I began, twirling a strand of hair around a finger. “It's true. If this fails or if the university's ethics committee takes me to task, my methods probably won't hold up.”

I yawned. The hare 72 came closer, crawling around moving rectangles. Chiyuri had to suspect something. I was too calm too fast.

“Which means that I might even have to move overseas to get a job. Eh. Big deal.”

Her eyes narrowed.

“... you, on the other hand,” I began, and her eyes widened.

When Chiyuri got mad, really mad, she didn't yell. She glared with death in her eyes.

Red eyes stared into blue as the hare youkai Number 72 crawled closer, closer.

“... you don't need to blackmail me like that.” Chiyuri spoke in a flat voice. “You already know my situation.”

I chuckled. “Well, then, what are you waiting for?”

The youkai's ear brushed her feet as it came up to the carrot. The only betrayal was the look of pain that flashed over Chiyuri's face for a second, and then there was just a sharp intake of breath, and a slow exhalation.

She grunted a little, I heard through the headpiece. And she'd turned her face downwards where none of my camera angles could catch her eyes.

Instead of angering it further, she had laid it out in one blow. Part of me wanted to think that she had accidentally overdone it, but both of us knew our bodies’ capacity for force better than that. She had failed in her mission deliberately.

Almost as if she knew what I'd been thinking, Chiyuri turned and glared at me again.

“Yumemi, you're the only failure here.”

Then she picked up the limp youkai in her arms and left through the emergency exit. The cape snagged on the door, and she reached over her back with her left hand and pulled it off, leaving it behind.

She would be going to get the first-aid kit. I sighed. Maybe this time I really had pushed it too far? Nah. I just needed a stronger specimen. One with more of a reason to be angry without having to strongarm Chiyuri into cooperating.

I still had a few days to get a good subject. Chiyuri would be over it by then. I'd leave her alone until that time.

For now, I felt awfully hungry, and I went to treat myself to a strawberry.

-----

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #246 on: August 14, 2011, 05:24:46 AM »
Occhi Terza Chiuso

Koishi of 48 hours ago would never have done this. She would have never hopped on to someone's carriage with only the smallest invitation, and she would have never dreamed of leaving her family with no idea where she was or even if she was alive. She would have never come along with a girl she barely knew, simply because she thought it would be interesting.

Koishi of 48 hours ago is dead, and her worldview with her.

Her stomach growls. Koishi sighs.

Alice, for her part, grins. “Would you like a snack?”

Koishi nods; a snack sounds good right now. Alice looks to her side, and grabs a small bag. From it, she pulls out a cookie and hands it to Koishi. “I hope you're not allergic.”

“I hope I'm not, either,” Koishi responds, not entirely sure what that means but figuring that it's probably a good idea to share the feeling.

“Sorry. I'd offer more, but we're going to arrive in Hokkai soon.” Alice grins. apologetic- genuine

The satori nods. “What's going to happen in Hokkai?”

“Hmm, it depends. We'll stop over at the castle there for the night before continuing on to Vina. Mother will probably visit the prison while we're here, too.”

“Prison?” Koishi is perplexed. Why would you visit that sort of place willingly? Unless... “Is she going to throw me in there?”

“Nah. She has no idea you're here.” Alice waved off Koishi's fear. “Actually, I do know that we just recently got a high-profile prisoner. Not sure who, but I know she's important.” Alice shakes her head. “But more likely, she'll want to talk to someone else there.”

“Who?” she asks.

“Just a magician,” the blonde replies. “Her name is Hijiri Byakuren.”

“Mm. I see.” Koishi stretches out. Her mind is tired, and her muscles are tired, and though she knows she's slept quite a bit, she wants to sleep some more.

Alice laughs. pleasure- genuine “If you want me to wake you up when we're there, I can do that.”

“You're not sleepy?” Koishi asks.

“I don't sleep much, no,” her companion replies. “I have a book to read, in any case.”

“Ah. All right then. Thanks.”

Koishi sets her head down again. She lets her mind relax, and thinks of how pretty white lotus flowers must be in the sunlight, and how truthful some people are with their feelings, or aren't.

This revival owes a lot to Anathe, without whose Xenophilia I would never have discovered the joys of formatting fun! <3

And again, happy birthday, Donut. :3c Now you have to have birthdays for me to be inspired to write

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #247 on: August 14, 2011, 05:26:51 AM »
Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyyy gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd
* Esifex dives in headfirst

Aya Squawkermaru

• "You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." - William Hearst
  • Relevant quote is relevant.
« Reply #248 on: August 14, 2011, 05:39:17 AM »
 :* Ruro, you have just made my day. This is the best birthday present ever, even if it isn't mine. :*

Well then, looks like it's readin' time.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #249 on: August 14, 2011, 05:58:58 AM »
?Happy endings are all alike. Every unhappy ending is unhappy in its own way.?
Hey that looks familiar
* Esifex digs through PM inbox

Oh yeah that's why

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #250 on: August 14, 2011, 08:15:54 AM »
This was an excellent update! It's exciting to see everything start to happen in Yumemi's storyline-- and I can't wait to know what happens next. I think there's so much you can do with her character development, to take her from the horrible scumbag she was in the flashback to... well, wherever you'd like to. There's a lot of potential there!

Same goes for Chiyuri, but of course, in a different way, as her morals are quite a bit different from those of Yumemi. I sense a lot of conflict as they go on...

Also really liking Koishi's powers starting to bloom as they are. I'd definitely like to see more of that.

As for Satori, it's fantastic to see a ruler care so deeply for her people... but with a lack of resources, she's going to have a lot of trouble taking care of them as much as she'd want to. I am intrigued by how she would handle that.

Nice work. Congrats on the update~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #251 on: August 14, 2011, 02:02:47 PM »
Updates~

I like how you always manage to cover every group of the main characters in your updates. :3

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

« Reply #252 on: August 14, 2011, 02:44:37 PM »
I admit I probably got around to reading this later than most because it didn't seem interesting to me, but I'm really into it now. It's the very rare story which manages to make the characters' internal struggles and interactions just as (if not more) compelling than the action scenes.

Looking forward to where it goes from here.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #253 on: August 16, 2011, 07:24:59 PM »
Whew, finally finished. You certainly know how to work with your characters. :3 I particularly liked the constant touches of extraneous detail, which is just how  I imagined a mind like Yumemi would think. But where are all these plot threads heading, I wonder? Where the plot is going, nobody knows~

Anyway, thank you for going through the effort to update, and thank you for the wonderful present. I hope you update before my next birthday :P
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #254 on: August 17, 2011, 04:25:02 AM »
Awesome
I have...a terrible need...shall I say the word?...of religion. Then I go out at night and paint the stars.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #255 on: September 29, 2011, 07:29:35 AM »
This is what I think of Intro to Political Economy class: (┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ AHHHHHHH why am I being made to take an INTRO course on something I've studied for the past FOUR SEMESTERS why is this a requirement whyyyyyyyyyyyyy

On the upside, it means I have a lot of time to write in class, due to knowing everything already. >__>

Ragazza del Terzo Occhio

They must have sent out a scout, which would have been completely reasonable-- they would have had to make sure their air supply was consistent and reliable. The report, of course, would have been positive. Which was why they had begun to climb out of their shelter.

Satori and Orin and Sumire behind them saw them in the distance, a small growing crowd. The neighborhood immediately next to them had been burned to a crisp, blackened former wooden posts sticking out of the ground haphazardly. The distance between that neighborhood and their own, which was on the other side, was the width of the street, but it seemed that the fire somehow had not managed to leap across the gap. The fire had spread from the other side of the ghetto, not across that street. And their neighborhood had far less smoke rising from the rooftops, as far as she could see.

It had been a while since Satori had last come here. That time, Utsuho and Koishi had also been by her side. But now...

Every disaster I go through goes hand-in-hand with fire.

Orin didn't seem to understand what Satori had in mind. That was unfortunate, but expected. Satori needed her help, and she knew Orin would give it, but Satori wasn't sure she would give it with all her heart as soon as she knew what she had in mind.

Some of them at the fringes had noticed her, and a few more had recognized her. That was good. She needed every last bit of goodwill she could get.

?What is this place, anyway?? Sumire asked as they approached. ?Looks like the fire didn't get to it as much as it did everywhere else.?

?That's what happens when your home gets torched too often,? Satori said. ?You learn what building materials are best to work with. Which ones are less flammable. This is the kasha ghetto.?

?I'm surprised. I thought the kasha had all died out.?

Off to the side, Rin tilted her head and gave her a confused look.

?They were driven underground. The other subterranean lands are too far away, so they settled here.? Satori hopped over a pile of burning rubbish on the ground, and Sumire and Rin followed her. ?You met Orin already. She's a kasha.?

?Oh!? Sumire put a hand to her mouth. ?I didn't know that was what they looked like!?

?I didn't know that was what they looked like!? Rin mimicked, sticking her tongue out at Sumire.

Satori grinned. ?Well, you'll get the chance to familiarize yourself with some more kasha soon enough.?

?What are you up to, Satori?? Rin asked.

?I'll probably need you to translate,? Satori told her.

?What are you up to, Satori?? Rin repeated, a hint of worry entering her voice.

Satori didn't reply. There was someone approaching.

?Tochtair,? the approaching figure said in a voice that made Satori's heart jump. It was very... maternal. ?Tochtair!?

?Madaar!? Orin replied, dashing ahead of Satori and leaving her cart on the ground. Orin's mother opened her arms, and Orin jumped into her arms with a hug.

?Ah, her mother? That's awfully sweet.? Sumire laughed a little. Then she looked over to Satori, and saw a mix of sorrow and envy written on her face.

Satori glanced down to look at Sumire, having heard her thoughts. Sumire was caught with a look of embarrassment on her face. But Satori didn?t call her on it, and instead faced forward again, looking at Orin?s mother.

?Orin, will you translate for me?? she asked.

Orin's cat ear twitched in her direction, and her mother looked over her taller daughter's shoulder at the speaker. Her eyes widened. ?Borekh habo!? Her face was a bit dirty and her skirts were muddied, but apart from that, she looked fine, and she seemed quite pleased to see the two of them.

Satori's Third Eye blinked. She couldn't quite make out the words themselves, since her thoughts came across in her own language, but she recognized that they were a greeting. She smiled back. ?Grazie,? she said, turning to Orin. ?Will you translate for me?? she asked again.

?Certainly,? she said in reply, a smile on her face. Satori felt her own face twitch in a smile. Orin's love for her mother had always been heartwarming to her.

Satori bowed her head in acknowledgment of the older woman?s status, and was quietly glad that none of her competitors in power were around to see. ?Orin, please do me the favour of telling her that I am glad she is safe, and that I hope her home is safe.?

?Certainly,? Rin replied, and turned to the older red-haired woman to relay the message.

Satori could not understand the words, but she understood her body language well enough. A hug was kind of unmistakably a sign of friendship, after all.

The pink-haired satori blushed, and returned the hug. ?No, thank you. For everything.?

Rin relayed the message. Satori grinned. She hadn?t meant for her to translate that. But she may as well put her translating skill to good use.

?Kaenbyou-san, thank you. Your daughter has saved my life countless times today, and she will continue to save my life as new ruler of Chireiden. It is I who owes you thanks, not the other way around.?

As Rin repeated the words back to her mother, Satori felt her heart warming up a little more as tears shone in the redheaded woman's eyes.

The older woman put her hand on the shorter girl?s shoulder, and nodded. ?Rin,? she said. But that wasn't quite right. Satori furrowed her brow. She'd heard that word before from her, but there had always been something a little off about it.

Rin's mother motioned to herself. ?I Rin.?

No, that wasn't right. Had Satori been interpreting that wrong the whole time? She could understand their fundamental thoughts, but she didn't understand their language, so she had a hard time figuring out where one word ended and the other began.

Rin. No, it was off. I, Rin? I, Rine. No, it was...

?Irene.? Satori's eyes widened a little. That was Rin's mother's name. It sounded so similar to Rin's that she had always just assumed she was speaking of her daughter. ?Irene Kaenbyou.?

Irene broke into a smile. Satori beamed.

For this alone, it had been worth storming down here without any preparation to prove that she was ready to help her people, no matter how.

?Satori Komeiji. Queen of Chireiden.? She let Rin translate, and let Irene's widen just for a second before she bowed a little. ?I would like to speak with your leader. I need his help.?

?Ehhh?? Rin looked at Satori in surprise, and her mother seemed to share the sentiment. ?Help??

?Yes,? Satori replied. ?I have a deal to propose to your people.?

Rin and Irene looked to each other, and Rin translated the message. Irene looked over at Satori, and nodded. She walked off, and Rin saw then that her little siblings were behind Irene. She knelt and hugged them tightly, laughing with joy, while Satori watched Irene go speak with the elders in black and white off in the distance.

She took a deep breath. This was going to be tricky. It had to be done, but...

She watched Rin and her siblings, and smiled.

?Just remember. You're fighting for the citizens of Chireiden,? she reassured herself. ?All of them.?

And I can't afford to worry about just a few.

-----

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #256 on: September 29, 2011, 07:32:34 AM »
Leggenda Fantasia

?Chiyuri. Remind me again. How many levels are there in Buddhist hell??

?You mean Naraka, right?? Chiyuri?s voice came through loud and clear, since the parts of Yumemi?s helmet that covered her ears had been cut away. ?There are eight of them, hot and cold. Which Narakas we talking about??

?Right now, I am willing to bet on hot ones.?

?Eight named ones, at least.?

?And Dante??

?Nine circles of hell. Well, kind of. The first is just limbo, remember??

?So, eight for both. They line up.? Yumemi rolled her eyes. ?Joy.?

?What are you thinking of?? Chiyuri asked.

?There are too many similarities,? the professor muttered. ?What's the first naraka of Buddhist hell??

?Sanjiva. I, uh...? Chiyuri trailed off. ?Ah. Now I remember. Well, kind of. There wasn't much memorable there.?

?What was it??

?Burning ground. The ground is really hot. It's iron heated by a fire underneath. There was also something about molten metal.?

?And the second circle of Christian Hell is...? Yumemi shook her head. ?Ooh boy. I hope I'm wrong about this.?

?I do too,? Chiyuri blanched. ?What on earth are you expecting down there??

?I don't know. I just hope that it's not based on Buddhist hell.? Yumemi laughed, her voice a little bit weak.

?This is worrying me a little,? Yuka said, her voice reaching to the back of the line where Chiyuri and Yumemi had been talking in low voices. ?There's hardly anyone here. But this is where she keeps her most dangerous prisoners...?

?Obviously not. You and I are still walking free.? Hirano nodded. ?But you're right. The first level is almost empty.?

?How do we go down to the lower levels?? Kogasa asked in a light, nervous voice.

?By embracing gluttony?? Chiyuri offered.

Yumemi smirked, but it seemed that Yuka and Hirano didn't catch the joke.

The miko just shrugged and pulled out her old map from the white bag over her shoulder. ?Yuka, hold my Sacred Fire.?

The redheaded scientist looked over Yuka's shoulder as the youkai held Hirano's pagoda. ?Yuka??

?Yes??

?How?? She pointed over her shoulder at the faint glow of the Sacred Fire. ?You said that magic couldn't work down here.?

?It's not magic,? Hirano replied for Yuka as she rolled out her map. ?It's divine power.?

?How is there a difference?? Yumemi asked.

?Magic is energy derived from the surroundings. Divine power is called out in cooperation from a god. In my case, Gyoku.?

?Gyoku??

?God of the Sakurasaki Shrine.?

That made no sense to Yumemi. ?Isn't that just magic, though? Power derived from contracts with aspects of nature that are sometimes elevated to divine status??

Chiyuri raised an eyebrow. ?Did you pull that definition from one of your textbooks??

Hirano chuckled. ?If that's how it makes sense for you, then it's fine.? She raised her map to the light and moved it to see. ?Ah. Here we are.?

Yuka, Yumemi, Chiyuri, and Kogasa all leaned forward around the map, following Hirano's finger. ?Then that means that the staircase is right down... here.? Hirano's finger moved over Kogasa's shoulder and pointed further down the hall, to a door in the wall.

?Well, probably. Remember this is an old map.? She put her hand on Kogasa's shoulder. ?You're the best at moving without making a sound. Can you please look through there and see what's down there??

Kogasa looked very nervous, but she nodded. She drifted down the stairwell and dropped out of sight.

According to the map, they were only on the first underground level. Yumemi saw that there were seven more. She poked Chiyuri in the side. ?Buddhist hell.?

Chiyuri grimaced.

Yumemi didn't seem like the only dissatisfied one. Yuka also frowned. ?We can't go through seven more levels like this. We're going too slow, and unless you want me to run through each level with my umbrella open to swat guards to the side and risk alerting the aboveground guards...?

Kogasa poked her head back up.

?Back already?? Hirano asked.

?Yes,? the little youkai said in her tiny voice. ?There are guards all down there. There's a door down there and it has a small window, and I couldn't stick around for long or they might have noticed me.?

Yuka turned to Hirano with a frown again. ?So, are we going to risk all the alerts??

Hirano did not meet Yuka's eyes. ?Uh... umm.?

Chiyuri had moved around to over Hirano's shoulder, and chose this moment to put her finger down to point at something. ?What is this??

?What is what?? Hirano's gaze followed Chiyuri's finger to a dark line off to the side labeled vertedero. ?I... I don't know.?

?Looks like a garbage chute, or something,? Yumemi came around to see what her assistant had identified. ?It goes all the way down to the eighth level...?

?It looks too narrow,? Hirano frowned.

?Where is that?? Yuka muttered, tapping the map with her index fingernail.

?It looks like it's a little further down there,? Kogasa offered in her demure voice, nodding towards something hidden in the shadows.

?Worth a shot, I guess,? the miko resolved, and took her pagoda of light back into her hand as she walked over to the darkness, following the rough map.

It was a portion of the wall right before the extreme end of the hallway, which was solid rock. Yumemi got there before she did, and moved her hands over the wall, trying to find where the gap was. Yuka got there after that, and without being asked Yumemi backed away at her approach while Yuka ran her hands over the wall, trying to find the opening.

Chiyuri followed her boss with her eyes, and frowned a little.

?You sure it's here?? Yuka asked Hirano, who was looking down at her map.

?It should be,? she said, looking up and glancing at the wall. ?The edge of the hall is... here. And the pillar is here,? she said, identifying the structure that had hidden that part of the wall in shadow in the first place. ?It should be right next to that, yes...?

?It is an old map,? Kogasa reminded her, floating in the air behind Hirano's back.

?Yes, if I were Shinki, I wouldn't just leave a passage like that open in the middle of a prison, either.? Yuka frowned and put her ear to the wall, tapping it. ?I would have sealed it up.?

?No echo?? Hirano sighed. ?I guess we'll have to go down the stairs one floor at a time, then.?

?No. Wait.?

Hirano looked to Yumemi, who stood beside her, reaching down for something in her skirts. ?Hm??

?There is someone down there that we need to get to as fast as possible,? she said, pulling off the black glove she had put on her right hand, stolen from the guard uniform. ?And we cannot run through Buddhist hell to do it. That?s meant to take an incredibly long time.?

?What on earth...?? Hirano asked, and her eyes widened when she saw what Yumemi had pulled out.

A sharp, fiendish-looking sickle was attached to a metal wrist bracelet, along with a metal gauntlet that Yumemi had pulled onto her hand. She flexed the metal fingers and nodded. In an almost grim voice: ?This part of the wall is in shadows. They won?t be noticing this anytime soon.?

Without waiting for permission of any kind, she punched forward and cut into the wall, slicing through it almost as if it were butter. Hirano gaped. So did Kogasa. Yuka was master of not showing expressions she didn?t want to. And Chiyuri just gave a small smile.

But it turned out she didn?t need to cut too deeply. ?Oh, good. My bet was right.?

?What bet?? Kogasa asked, peering over Yumemi?s shoulder to see the dry, dark vertical shaft she had just cut into.

?They covered it up. With clay, apparently, not rock. They didn?t seal it off.? Yumemi peered down the shaft. ?Probably. They still could have filled up the bottom of the tunnel.? She looked over to Hirano. ?Can I use that rope??

?W-what,? the miko stammered, pulling the rope off of her shoulder almost mechanically before she noticed what she was doing. ?How did you... when did you...??

Yumemi grinned, retracting the sickle back into her metal gauntlet and taking hold of the rope, handing it off to Chiyuri. ?Wait 'till you see what my cape can do.?

She saw Yuka's eyes glinting a little in the light of the Sacred Fire, and gulped a little. She had seen at least part of the extent of her arsenal when she had seen her cape in action several weeks ago, but she hadn't seen the claws before. Much less the fist. At least she hadn't seen what she carried on her legs, or...

?Chiyuri, hold on to that for me.? Now that she had her claws on, there was no need to conceal the flashlights on them. She twisted her grip and her palms lit up with the lights she had installed there. ?I'll tug on it three times to have you pull me up, and once if everything is fine.?

?Got it. Take care of yourself down there.? Her assistant grinned, and Yumemi wondered how good of an idea it was to trust a person she had once regularly infuriated with her experiments. Eh, Hirano was here. She would be fine.

Yumemi nodded to Chiyuri and stepped into the gap. ?If it's safe, don't close this hole. It's in the dark, so we should be fine. And we'll probably be coming up as fast as we can, so.?

Hirano nodded, now recovered from her surprise. Yumemi did not stick around long enough to watch Yuka's reaction, and began her descent.

------

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #257 on: September 29, 2011, 07:34:50 AM »
Thankfully, the shaft was wide enough to accommodate her. The lights from her palms lit up her descent through the red, damp clay. She looked up and saw Kogasa looking down at her, and waved her hand so she could see the moving light from up there.

She wished she had some way to monitor what levels she was bypassing. If she had started on the first floor, the first level, she had to go down seven more. But there was no way of knowing how tall any of the levels were, and no way of knowing if the lowest level she could reach would be the eighth.

She had her gauntlets and her cape. Fortune favoured the prepared. Maybe she should have made Chiyuri come down here first to make sure it was safe for her? Nah, she would be fine. She couldn't go back up, in any case-- Yuka would be there to see, and she wasn't prepared to let some damned youkai see her that vulnerable.

She would just have to punch her way through anything that came along. She imagined that the last level would be pretty locked down, and she would have to rely on the element of surprise to attack the guards down there. But guards probably didn't expect rogue scientists to punch through the wall at them with no warning.

Her right boot slipped for a moment, and she caught herself and steadied, then lowered herself down on the rope, hand over gloved hand. For being Buddhist hell, this was a very cool, temperate shaft. She wondered how far down she was now.

She turned her palm downwards, turned the dial with her thumb and increased the light. The ground was still out of sight, but she would be running out of rope soon. She tried not to be worried. How tall were these floors?

She kept her breathing steady. Her sensei had always told her that breathing well was a talent of hers. It was why she had learned so well when she was younger, by Chiyuri's side...

Her right boot slipped again, and she caught herself again. ?Shut up,? Yumemi chastised herself, gritting her teeth before she remembered not to grind her teeth anymore. That time is long since gone, and now isn't the time to dwell on it anyway.

She felt the knot at the end of the rope. She pointed her palm downwards and turned up the light yet again. The floor was about four meters down. At least it was there. She looked up. ?Kogasa!? she hissed as she pointed her palm upwards, moving her fingers over her palm to flash the light. She knew the little youkai would see that.

As Kogasa began to float down on her umbrella, Yumemi grinned as she looked at her own hand. ?The sound of one hand clapping.? A totally inappropriate answer to the Zen koan. She would have to tell Chiyuri about this later.

?I found the ground,? Yumemi said in a low voice, because she didn't know how thick the walls were. ?It's only a few meters down. It seems safe so far, but I'm going to have to let go of the rope.?

Kogasa nodded, floating on her umbrella with the help of the rope. ?I'll tell Yuka. Should they come in after you??

?Hmm... yes, it should be fine. I'm not sure this is the eighth level, anyway.?

?Take care.?

The little youkai climbed back up, and Yumemi looked down, pointed her light down at the ground. Four meters was not a distance to laugh at, with all the stuff she was carrying. She came down to the very bottom of the rope, letting her legs dangle. Now her feet were about two and a half meters away from the ground. Much more manageable. She let go of the rope.

It occurred to Yumemi around the time that the ground started crumbling that maybe she should have dropped something heavy on the ground before she decided to land on it herself.

?Shit!? She swore, accidentally yelling too loud in panic. She flailed upwards in vain-- the rope was far out of her reach. The ground gave way beneath her.

She fell, but by now her overclocked mind was on the job. She fell forward and not backward, using her hands and forearms to shield her face from the dirt and the dust and the rocks. Her cape wasn't much good for this, so she relied on luck and her wits to be ready for whatever was to come.

She might have to fight as soon as the dust cleared, or maybe before then. In order to protect her lights, her shaky fingers turned the lights on her palm and turned them down. Not out entirely-- she still had to make sure she wasn't walking into a lethal trap.

These preparations flashed through her mind as her right shoulder was hit by a falling piece of debris. She grit her teeth and tried to land on four limbs. She lucked out and landed on her knees and legs, sore but intact. She coughed viciously, choking on the dirt that had suddenly flooded her mouth and nose and lungs. She knew intellectually that she had to keep it down, she had no idea what level she was on or what was down here, but she kept her hacking cough up. She pulled her cape forward and coughed into it in an effort to keep the sound down.

Her palms and knees were sore from the hit they had taken when she landed. She coughed some more, and instinctively tried to rub the dirt from her eyes with her sleeve. It just irritated her eyes more, and she began crying, using the tears to wipe the dust. She blinked repeatedly and closed her eyes, then opened them.

Had the others seen what had happened? It looked like she had managed to kick up a large plume of dust. Damn, that would make it harder for them to come to her aid if something was wrong here.

Where was she? What level was she on? She couldn't see anything in the dim light from her palms and the dust. She kept her cape close and coughed some more.

She wanted to keep her head down, but she had to find out where she was. She kept her arms up, fighting through the burning in her irritated red eyes and her throat.

?Where am I?? she asked aloud half a second before a pair of hands closed like a vice around her neck.

------

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #258 on: September 29, 2011, 07:37:36 AM »
Occhi Terza Chiuso

Alice pokes her head back in from outside the window. Koishi looks at her, anticipation rising.

“The Hokkai gubernatorial mansion is right down this road,” Alice tells her with a smile.

“All right,” Luize says, stretching. “I really need a warm shower.” She glances at Koishi. “Alice, do me a favour. Look out again.”

“What am I looking for?” Alice says, poking Shanghai's head out along with her own.

“Shinki. Where is she?”

Koishi twitches at the sound of that name. It's infuriating.  Why?

“She's at the front of the train, so...” Alice opens the window a little wider, sticks out her entire body up to her waist. “Ah, she's up there,” she says, pointing. Then she waves. “She saw me.”

“Is she coming towards us?” Luize asks, her voice more high-pitched than before. fear, panic: Genuine

“Nah. She's summoning a horse. I guess she's going to visit Hokkai Prison already?”

“Either way.” Luize looks to Koishi, buried in her blankets. “We're going to need some way to smuggle her out of here.”

“She's dressed as me,” Alice replies, pulling herself and Shanghai back into the carriage and closing the window. “Isn't that enough?”

“At night, maybe. I have no idea how long we'll be staying at Hokkai. If we're not staying for long, then maybe it would be better for Koishi to stay out here.”

“No way. It's too cold out here in the mountains at night, and besides, the carriages get cleaned out and fumigated whenever we go anywhere.” Alice looks at Koishi. “Got any ideas?”

“Not right now.” Koishi frowns. “But I'm pretty sure I can sneak into the castle at night if you need me to.”

Alice nods. “Idea, then. How about we leave you here, in the blankets, and then once everyone else has gone in, Luize--” she looks at the blonde servant-- “You can come out here and get her.”

“That works,” Luize nods, looking at Koishi again. “Can you keep yourself hidden for that long?”

Koishi shrugs. “I can just fall asleep, right?”

“Try not to. You wouldn't want to get caught.” Luize smiles. “I'll try to bring some food out for you then.”

Just then, the carriage comes to a halt. Alice looks up. “We're here.”

“Okay, stay hidden, no matter what else you do.” Luize repeats it for Koishi to hear. “And hope to god that no one comes in here to check on something.”

Alice throws one of her blankets over Koishi's head. “Stay safe, okay?”

Koishi nods from inside her covers, which she has safely burrowed into. “Got it.”

Luize moves over Alice's legs to the carriage door, and opens it. She hops out, reaches her hand up for Alice to hold, then escorts her out.

Closing the door behind herself and her charge, Luize waved hi to the regional guards around them. She looked up at the mansion-- certainly not large enough for a royal court, but good enough to spend the night in, or however long they'd spend here before returning to Pandemonium Palace.

They called it a mansion, at least. It was a castle in design. But it still paled in comparison to the splendor of Pandemonium.

Hokkai had no governor, so it had been left to a steward, appointed by Shinki, for the past decade or so. That steward had been Yumeko. Luize wondered if Shinki would try to offer her the stewardship again, and if she would have to turn it down for a second time. Either way, the only important here in Hokkai was the prison, and the maintenance of the Makai-Jigoku highway, and to a far lesser extent, the small trade route across the mountains and into the desert in the west. Hokkai had such a small population that the Throne of Makai did not need much supervision except to collect taxes.

Once they were out of earshot of the guards and had entered the mansion, Alice and Luize went up to claim their usual room. Their luggage would not be taken out of the carriages; they kept small wardrobes at each of the gubernatorial mansions in case of a short stay. Luize put a hand on Alice's shoulder. “Alice, tell me. Why are you doing this?”

“Why am I doing what, Lu-chan?” Alice asked, looking up at her mentor and governess with an innocent smile from Shanghai hovering next to her.

“I'm not saying I don't like Koishi, I do. And I think saving her from Shinki was a good thing for you to do. But this is very dangerous.”

Alice shrugged. “Sometimes I like to play chess.”

The older woman frowned. “I don't like it when you use chess metaphors. I worry if you're not trying to checkmate someone you can't reach.”

“I would never checkmate my mother.” Alice shook her head, and Shanghai with her. “Nor would I even try. But I will admit, playing a game of subterfuge is fun.”

“So are you just bored?” Luize asked.

Alice didn't blink, but Shanghai shrugged. “Call it a subconscious impulse.”

A subconscious impulse? Maybe. Luize considered it as she walked by Alice's side in silence. But that alone wasn't enough to explain. If so many years traveling and meeting people from many different times and worlds had taught her anything, it was that when it came to the thoughts and actions of living beings, there was never one reason for anything.

-----

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #259 on: September 29, 2011, 07:45:15 AM »
Ala di Distruzione

The jolting of the carriage coming to its stop jostled Utsuho, whose eyes flew open. The first thing she saw was the shredded ropes, still lying on the floor of the carriage.

She had fallen asleep like this, a long and deep sleep. Next to...

She looked up. Shinki was gone. Utsuho blinked in surprise. Was the journey already over?

Her question was answered by the door of the carriage opening. It was blinding, whatever it was outside-- she closed her eyes, raised her hand to protect herself.

“Ah, Reiuzi.” Shinki's voice. “Catch.”

Utsuho still couldn't see, and she was still a bit drowsy from waking, but she moved her left arm and managed to catch the orange that Shinki tossed to her by sheer chance. She nearly dropped It from surprise, but managed not to.

“Tired?” Shinki smirked at her in the dim light. Utsuho only just noticed that the covers had been pulled down over the windows, and the only light there was trickling through the cloth.

“Apparently,” Utsuho said, feeling her arms and legs sore. “Have I really been asleep this whole time?”

“You came up to sit next to me in the dark, and you slept through the rest of the day.” Shinki nodded. “Yes, you have been asleep.”

“Pardon me, then,” Utsuho began, but Shinki waved it off.

“Bah, I have no need for a servant during a long journey except to talk or read a book to me.” She shrugged. “What am I supposed to do, order you to fetch me a bath?”

“I could have always brought you something to eat,” the hellcrow offered. She had a flash of insight then, and realized that she was being very nice to her captor-- largely because she had just woken up and was much more malleable in her thoughts at the moment. And because she wasn't in chains anymore being dragged by the side of the road.

“It's not like I'm pampered enough to not be able to get what I need myself.” Shinki laughed again. “Come to think of it...” She stroked her chin. “How much do you know about me?”

“.... pretty much nothing,” Utsuho replied, watching Shinki. For being her captor, she was being a little bit too nice.

"I see." Shinki smiled a little. "Well, you'll get to know me well enough."

Utsuho looked down. Shinki was half-pleased, half-disgusted with herself. She shook her head to get rid of the confusion. "Anyway, Reiuzi, would you please come out? We've arrived at our destination for the day."

The hellcrow nodded and got to her feet. She looked up. The roof of her carriage was disproportionately tall.

"I had my carriage's roof raised. I was sick of bumping my head against the roof."

Though she had a smile on her face, Utsuho knew that one was a lie. Shinki was taller than she was, but even she wasn't tall enough for this. The carriage's roof had been raised for the benefit of... someone else.

Shinki's smile didn't betray her inner lying, and Utsuho knew she was in no position to argue. Instead, she walked over to Shinki, who opened the door.

Instantly, Utsuho recoiled from the burning brightness outside. "Aaagh," she hissed, covering her eyes. "What in hell is that?!"

"What's the matter?" Shinki asked, seeing Utsuho drop to her knees. "It's just the... ohhh." She closed the door. "I forgot... you've never seen the sun before."

On your orders, her memory reminded her.

Utsuho shook her head, still covering her eyes with her hands. "It hurts, it really hurts..."

Shinki looked off to the side, trying to ignore the slight gnawing of guilt. "I... hmm." She made sure Utsuho was looking away, then opened the door again and called out for a servant.

Instantly, a demon maid was by the side of her carriage. "Yes, my Lady?"

Shinki wondered what her name was. "Get me a bag, a mask, anything to cover the eyes. And a horse."

"Yes, my Lady," she replied, rushing off to do her bidding.

Shinki closed the door, but not before she looked back at the train of carriages that had arrived at the gubernatorial mansion after she had. She saw Alice poking her head out of her own carriage, and waved. Alice waved back. Shinki smiled.

"How old are you, Reiuzi?" Shinki asked as she went back in to her carriage. "I'm curious."

"I don't know," Utsuho replied. She was back on her feet, still rubbing her eyes with the back of her right hand. "I only know that I'm supposed to be a teenager, as far as my species' life cycle goes."

"You don't know your age in exact terms, then?"

Utsuho turned back to her, blinking rapidly as she erased the spots from her vision with lubricating tears. "No, I don't."

"Fair enough. Neither do I." Shinki shrugged. "I have no written records of my birth, either. Not that I was the type of person whose birth would have been recorded..."

Well, that was interesting. But before Utsuho could pursue that line of thought any further, there was a knock at the door of the carriage.

"Look away," Shinki told her as she opened the door to meet the demon maid.

"Here is your horse, and its guider," she said, presenting a very confused deputy Master of the Horse. Just the deputy? No, wait. Of course it was just the deputy. One of Yumeko's various ceremonial positions had been Master of the Horse. "And here is a veil."

Shinki took the green veil and closed the door on the maid, for Utsuho's sake. "Reiuzi, come over here and try this on."

Utsuho blinked in the dim light, letting Shinki's arms encircle her head. "A veil?"

"I don't think it's thick enough to do much more than filter everything to a pleasant shade of green." Shinki frowned and undid the small knot she had already made, and wound the veil around itself several times. "A bandanna should do fine."

She encircled Utsuho's head again, reaching around to tie it securely at the back of her head. "There, that should be enough. Twilight is coming in a few minutes, anyway, so you should be fine once the sun sets."

Utsuho nodded and adjusted the tightness for herself as Shinki turned away from her and opened the door. "Are you okay?"

"Yes, but now I can't see a thing."

Utsuho reached out to the door, and instead of letting her stagger forward, the god empress reached for her and took her hand. "Here." She descended from the steps of her carriage onto the ground, guiding her new servant's steps.

Once Utsuho's feet hit ground, Shinki pulled her hand forward and motioned the deputy over, a nervous young demon. "Help her on," she commanded him, and he took Utsuho's hand.

"Step right this way, miss," he said, and Utsuho clambered onto a wooden platform, where he guided her onto the very patient horse.

Shinki nodded to herself, watching.

"Will you be wanting a horse for yourself, my Lady?" the maid asked in a timid voice.

The white-haired woman waved it away. "Thank you, but I can fly on my own."

The maid frowned, watching Utsuho. “But why did she need a blindfold, when the sun’s so weak right now?”

“She’s never seen the sun.”

“What?” The maid looked at her master with undisguised surprise. “Is she a captive from Chireiden?”

“If you have so much time on your hands to ask stupid questions, put that time to better use and fetch the maid and all the strong demons she can get. There’s something heavy in the second carriage that you will need to carry out securely.”

“How securely?” she asked, already rushing off to do her master’s bidding.

Shinki’s mouth formed a flat line as she pressed her lips together, then replied. “You will find out.”

“Yes, my Lady,” the too-curious servant said, barely curtsying before she ran back into the servants’ entrance to the mansion.

Shinki turned her attention to Utsuho, who was seated on her horse. “Comfortable?”

Utsuho was clutching the horn of the saddle, her feet secure in the stirrups. “I’m going to fall over, aren’t I?”

“Not at all,” Shinki replied, her feet lifting off of the ground a little. “We’re only going to take a short journey.”

“You couldn’t wait until you got settled in?” Utsuho asked. “We just finished getting here to Pandemonium, didn’t we?”

“Oh, no,” Shinki shook her head, motioning the deputy to begin guiding the horse by its reins. “This isn’t Pandemonium, not at all. This is just Hokkai. Pandemonium is further still, two or three days’ journey.”

“Wait, what?” Utsuho’s most expressive feature, her eyes, was still covered by that bandanna, but her mouth formed the perfect despairing expression regardless. “Then what are we doing here?”

“A day’s rest. And there is someone here I need to speak to.” Shinki replied.

“Who?” the hellcrow asked.

“A Buddhist monk. She is my prisoner.” Well, at least that was mostly true.

“If she’s your prisoner, why would you need to talk to her?"

Shinki paused for a moment and watched the sun go down, then spoke.

“Because I need some guidance.”

And because she’s the closest thing you have to a friend now, her mind added, helpful as always.

But Utsuho couldn’t read thoughts, so she didn't hear that last one. She just shrugged, and let herself be led to Hokkai Prison.

This update is brought to you by the kindness of Aoshi and Kanjou.

A while back, some people may remember a little something I did for Rou; with the help of cute little artist, Aoshi. If not, a lot of you have probably heard of how many times I have mentioned 'spamming ideas' in the chat rooms; some of which have been showing up bit by bit.

And so, I figured I'd do something again; this time, for you. And this time, I played the nostalgia card!

Remember this scene?

It took Aoshi quite some time; and even at the end, Aoshi had a hard time. The evil corner of emptiness almost killed us dead! But we have you one of the scenes from the very first page of what is simply your amazing piece of work. This is also for you being a great person in general; so fight on and continue to be awesome. And we'll continue to help whenever we can.
And Aoshi, thank you, once again, for helping me with these requests. <3

NOW GET TO UPDATING!  :derp:

So have an update! Thanks, you two. <3

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #260 on: September 29, 2011, 08:37:12 AM »
We have a new branch in the story, it seems! I am finding Shinki's kindness (or at least, lack of contempt) for her prisoners to be quite fascinating, especially since she has just lost Yumeko. Of course, she'd obviously have to be able to keep a strong appearance, but.... :x
I'm getting a feeling that since Yumeko is obviously out of commission in a permanent mental BSoD, Shinki will seek a replacement-- namely, her new hostage. Kindness often begets kindness-- so if she can spark warmth and loyalty out of Utsuho, this seems possible, if not likely. Just my hypothesis. 

For Satori's story, it's neat to see that Orin's family is playing a role-- and I still am having the hardest time imagining what it must be like to lose absolutely everything in such a short period of time, only to become the top of the ladder straightaway. It must feel so odd to have the title 'Queen of Chireiden' tacked onto your name all of a sudden-- even moreso after everything that happened.

As for Yumemi's.... goddamnit, why did you stop theeeeere ;-;
I had been having a feeling that although she may be brilliant, something unpredictable was going to happen. You can apply as much logic and reasoning and whateverwhatnot to any situation you'd like, but there's always the factor of chance that plays a role-- even if you're able to predict the odds of something happening, you can't stop it from happening, either.
I want to know what happens next. D:

Finally, Koishi's story-- I see that she's further developing her powers here-- this time in the form of manipulating Alice's subconscious mind. I really want to know what she has in mind...

Very nicely done! It's fun to analyze what I see and hypothesize what will happen next~ :3
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 11:39:09 PM by Matsuringo Oginome »

« Reply #261 on: September 29, 2011, 01:27:47 PM »
You said there'd be updates when I woke up, and I'm pleased with how much there was to look over. I'm especially impressed with how the separate storylines seem to be converging together at this point.

Looking forward to the next update.

Metaflare

• Happening Cat of the Middle of Nowhere
  • Welp is not a good nickname
« Reply #262 on: September 29, 2011, 01:37:24 PM »
I can't wait until Byakuren enters the story :3

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #263 on: September 29, 2011, 10:03:27 PM »
I have to admit, I find the Hokkai and the Post-War Chireiden storylines the most intriguing right now.

Apart from that though, keep up the awesome work! Can't wait to see what happens next. :3

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #264 on: September 30, 2011, 03:32:35 AM »
Mmm hmm hmm, I'm growing to love long-winded dramas like this thanks to Kaiji. :3

I have a bad feeling about Satori...is she going to start her reign doing something really destructive to relationships? :< Also I forgot that all of this is still "day 1." It feels as though there should have been a day transition by now, but I suppose life waits for nobody.

The drama with Yumemi and crew is quite riveting. Though, how could Kogasa move without being seen with that big umbrella? :P Koishi's fading nicely into the background as usual (with more than one meaning, hmm hmm), and I'm glad to finally see Utsuho coming back into the picture. So many plot threads, how will they all tie together? I will simply have to wait for next time. :> Keep the good work Ruro~
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Aya Squawkermaru

• "You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." - William Hearst
  • Relevant quote is relevant.
« Reply #265 on: October 01, 2011, 04:20:43 AM »
Glad I finally got to read this. Good as always~ I, like others, am interested in seeing how these plot events will tie together. It's nice to see the non-bloodthirsty side of Shinki.

« Reply #266 on: October 01, 2011, 09:30:37 PM »
More awesome!
I have...a terrible need...shall I say the word?...of religion. Then I go out at night and paint the stars.

« Reply #267 on: October 05, 2011, 06:52:24 PM »
Finally got around to reading the new updates. You know, probably the most fascinating part I've noticed was that Koishi's stuff is in the present tense. It really shows how she's now only thinking about the here and now, especially when contrasted by the change in perspective to Luize in the same scene, when it switches back to past tense.

« Reply #268 on: January 30, 2012, 06:16:18 PM »
No pressure but I was curious if this story is permanently on hiatus. I really just wanted  to let Akemi Homururo know there are still at least some fans patiently waiting for more updates. Real life gets busy we know so no pressure.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #269 on: March 25, 2012, 08:36:07 AM »
If you wanna make it up to me, work more on White Rose!  =D
Quote from: Approximately five thousand other people over the past who knows how many months
blah blah blah WRITE MORE WHITE ROSE, JERK blah blah
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH MY CONSCIENCE LEAVE ME ALONE

No pressure but I was curious if this story is permanently on hiatus. I really just wanted  to let Akemi Homururo know there are still at least some fans patiently waiting for more updates. Real life gets busy we know so no pressure.
I've already graduated from university. I should have posted this a long time ago. Sorry for the wait?

... let's just put the last few months behind us and pretend I was never ignoring this story or being distracted by Penguindrums and Black Rock Shooters or Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne or all three seasons of Nanoha.

Note: There's some screwery with tenses here. It's all intentional and I double-checked to make sure I had it all down just the way I wanted it.

Koishi sighs. At least she is comfortable, but she is also pretty bored. She would like to have something to do. But she has to stay inside and be quiet.

What would she do, what would she do?

She hollows out a small headspace for herself. She has very little light, only what light filtered through the windows from the setting sun. But having been raised in Chireiden, where the light of the Hell of Blazing Fires was all that separated the people from the total darkness, her night/dark vision is superb, even more so than normal youkai.

Koishi doesn't think too hard about it, though. She just accepts that she can see in the dark.

She looks down and realizes that she's been fiddling with her Third Eye. Terza... something. She closes her eyes and a nerve twitches in her neck, and the Third Eye moves on its own up the cords that connect it to her body through the head and wrists and feet.

It's closed. She wonders why.

The skin of the Third Eye is thick, in order to keep out irritants like dust, and the closest thing it has for self-protection. She grabs hold of her own Third Eye.

?Open up,? she tells it, but it doesn't.

Again she commands. No reaction. She frowns.

She tries to pull open the eyelid. It refuses to budge. She drives her nails into the thick purple-blue flesh, but gets no reaction still, or physical pain.

She asked once, what the Third Eye was. She doesn't remember who she asked that question to. She does remember that they replied that its nature was a large enigma. But it should react to pain.

She pinches the cord that connects it through her chest to her heart. There's a slight twinge, but still not very strong. Still, the unconscious survival instinct that avoids self-inflicted physical pain kicks in, and she avoids picking any deeper.

She puts it aside for now.

What was the thing that girl had said? Something about roses. Maybe later. Right now she wants to have something to do.

What did she do back then, when she was younger, to pass the time? She ponders the question.

She explored. Can she explore now?

Well, of course she can. But they told her not to go out.

It's either exploring, or lying here being bored. She doesn't think about it very hard, in the same way that she doesn't think too hard about anything anymore.

It should be fine as long as she stays quiet and hidden, right?

She pulls herself out of the pile of blankets. Her borrowed clothes are a bit too think for the night, and too bright. She gets one of the darker blankets and puts it over her shoulders. Her hair is messy, and she grabs a black hat that Alice left on a hook next to the carriage door. She flips it over in her hands, finds a yellow ribbon around the brim. It's suitable.

She moves one of the curtains aside. The sun has gone down almost completely. Even as she watches, the sun sets behind the mountains, painting the sky a dark wine red.

Good timing. She opens up one of the windows, looking from side to side. Doesn't seem like anyone is looking. There is some activity at the back of the train. On the other side, the last stragglers of Shinki's personal train were entering the mansion.

Some more good timing. She pulls herself up and out through the window. A youkai's natural strength, combined with exploring all over the Palace of the Earth Spirits, help her.

Koishi now crouches over the carriage. Her right hand touches the lacquered, burnished wood of the roof, designed to let water run off. The snow from earlier is still there, in ice form by now, though slushy from the light of the day. Her sandals would slide right off of this, ragged though they are. She pulls them off and throws them under the carriage so they won't be seen in the dark.

Now, where shall she explore? The mansion of the governor seems to be the only place around here lighting up for the night, and she could easily choose some other place in the coming night, where she probably won't be detected.

... but where's the fun in that?

She keeps her blanket wrapped around her neck as she dashes forward in the dark, bare feet providing a better grip than sandals, atop the roofs of the carriages in front of her.

Koishi takes the last gap at a leap, jumping up to one of the open windows. Her feet hit stone, and she catches hold of herself before falling into the covered promenade. There are lanterns lit along the length of the hallway that light up the area.

She looks up and down the hallway, wiping off cold, wet feet on stone. Was this interesting enough, or should she climb up higher?

Her arms are on the verge of pulling her up when her nose catches an interesting scent, carried down on a faint breeze. She realizes then that she is very, very hungry.

She lowers her arms. Which way is the food? And who will stand in her way? Koishi wonders if she can take a guard or two, but decides not to risk it; she has been told to stay hidden, and she will stay hidden, no matter what else.

Her presence will go unnoticed. This is her conscious and unconscious desire. Inside her closed socket, her Third Eye glows green in the night.

She raises her arms again and shuffles along the side of the wall, outside, holding on to every handhold she can find to support herself. Her blanket is wrapped around her neck like a cape.

Koishi hears the echo of footsteps coming towards her location. It's coming from around the corner. She lowers herself down, hanging off the side of the wall. She finds an unexpected foothold and catches herself on it, and she peers up over the edge to see who's coming. Her closed Terza Occhia rises on its cords to eye level with her.

It looks to be a simple demon maid, carrying two food platters on food trays. She should notice Koishi by her stark white hair, but she's already come too close. The enforced reality of what she sees plays off her subconscious desire to not be interrupted on the way to wherever she's going, as well as the assumption that there are no intruders hanging off the wall outside staring at her.

The jigsaw piece Koishi has made for her mind fits in perfectly. The maid walks right past her, not noticing anything out of the ordinary. There's nothing there, after all. Why bother thinking about it too hard? She has other things to think about, like bringing food up to the Princess Alice's quarters.

Koishi grins. That worked well enough. She looks down. The fast darkening night barely affects her eyes, conditioned biologically and behaviorally to extremely dim light. She walks along the side, almost strolling on the outside edge, following her nose.

Her guess is confirmed by the appearance of another maid, with another tray in her hands, destined for the Saifullah Luize, though she did not use that title much these days. Koishi absorbs the unfamiliar word even as the maid's consciousness passes through her sphere of influence and is shielded from seeing the intruder.

The satori cares more about the door she has come through, though. Through that door lies her prize. Thankfully, the door closes fairly slowly. She wedges her foot into the gap between the door and its doorframe before it closes.

Were this any other person, they might have stopped at this point out of fear of being seen. But hunger was a deep instinct, and in someone who moved on pure instinct--

She dashed through the door, a grin on her face and a growling in her stomach. Her blanket-cape nearly got caught, but she pulled it forward with her too quickly.

Koishi would follow her nose, but there's too much stimuli here. Seems like it's the kitchen, with high wooden shelves of ingredients and pots and pans. She hears some shuffling down to her left, in one of the aisles, and she is reminded of the rule she must follow:

"No, you can't see me!?

Behind her, she hears a noise. She turns around, too late. It's a chef or a chef's assistant, a humanoid youkai with an apron and brown hair up in a ponytail, falling over her pointed ears. She's staring right at Koishi.

Koishi moves back, horrified by being caught. But she just approaches without yelling at her to get out or sounding an alarm.

Her mild brown-red eyes stare right at her, then flick towards the shelves. The satori keeps backing away, wondering when to run.

But then the youkai chef turns to her left. ?Ah. Here it is,? she says, reaching up and pulling down a box of pasta labeled 'farfalle'. ?How on earth did I forget this??

?Butterflies?? Koishi asks, peering at the name.

A mistake. The youkai girl frowns and looks at where Koishi is. ?What was that??

The satori's eyes widen in fear as the woman comes closer, and she spouts out the first thing that comes to mind, desperate to get her away. "It's no one and nothing. Just an echo."

As soon as she's said it, she moves her hand up to her face, covering her mouth in shock. There was a strange second layer to her voice just now-- what was that? And why had she seen a flash of green off to the side of her vision just then?

?Oh, it must have been no one. Just an echo. I wonder if the others are back yet??

Koishi's awareness comes back to the present. The youkai chef is shrugging and turning around, her prize in hand, talking to herself.

Where she is going, the food is waiting. The satori follows along behind her, letting her lead, her bare feet pattering along behind the cook's more confident stride.

?Everything about this place is normal. Just go on working like you always do.?

She hums along as her ponytail swishes, and there are small flashes of delicious food dishes-- pasta, fish, soups-- appearing around her. Koishi can't help but hold back a small smile at it.

?How is this even happening?? she asks herself in a low voice, then answers her own question. ?I have no idea, but god is it useful.?

The chef's name is Amadare Ami, apparently, glancing at the name written on the nametag she left off to the side while cooking. Koishi peers over her shoulder as the young youkai opens up the bag and pours in the pasta to a pot of boiling water.

Farfalle pasta was good, but Koishi won't wait that long. She looks around, and follows her nose to the sight of a dish with a grilled fish lying on its side, with rice on one side and a bit of salad on the other.

Interesting smell it has. After all, she's never seen a fish before. She takes off a small bit of it between her fingers, and samples it. Eh, it's interesting enough, and it has this wonderful tangy taste from the lemon juice that was garnished over it, but pasta is still better.

Ah, salad. She has seen that a few times. Lettuce has to be grown aboveground, and tomatoes on vines close to the surface. Added to that, lettuce can't be stored fresh for very long, so importing it on a consistent basis takes money. Komeiji Miyani loved salads, and thankfully for her, she could afford it. She had shared it once or twice with Koishi.

Koishi's mind banishes the memory, but the warm feeling remains. She takes up some leaves and slices of tomato between her hands and devours them. Much yummier than the fish, though they do taste good together.

She realizes, belatedly, that they're probably all meant to be eaten together. She grabs a nearby pair of chopsticks, looks at them in puzzlement, then reaches over the counter and grabs a fork out of a drawer.

She picks up the plate and motions towards Ami. ?If anyone asks you what happened to this, you should tell them that you ate it.?

Ami waved it off with a grin. ?Sure, I'll just make another one for Shinki-sama.?

?I am coming back for dessert after I'm done here,? the satori told her.

?Sure, I'll make something for you by the time you arrive.?

?Excellent.? Koishi takes the dish and departs, taking along a small wineskin that smells like grapes, making sure that the maids aren't returning from the door she went in from, and pulls herself up with one arm into a small niche into the palisade.

She pops open the wine and takes a small sip. Turns out it's not wine at all, just ordinary grape juice. She approves, and drinks it along with her food. She munches, watching over the plain and looks up at the moon as it rises on the horizon she came from.

?I wish Utsuho was here,? she murmured in a low voice as she watched the oncoming night.