Author Topic: Azure Reflections (Maihana Soumakyou: Uniting Barrage Action)  (Read 3837 times)

A new officially purchasable Touhou game is now available in the west: Azure Reflections, and it is a horizontal bullet hell shooter.  Currently for sale on the PS4 store.  Launch trailer here.

Azure Reflections is a localization of the 2012 doujin game Maihana Soumakyou: Uniting Barrage Action.

I couldn't find any old threads for this game, so now we have one! 

Anyone playing it?  Hows the body tackle thing work?  How challenging is it compared to the mainline games, or is that not a useful comparison?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:36:46 PM by dosboot »

Gesh86

• Buddha may forgive you...
  • but Byakuren won't!
Re: Azure Reflections (Maihana Soumakyou: Uniting Barrage Action)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 09:37:54 PM »
I have played the PC version and liked it to a medium-ish degree, but I do not play especially many shooters. I've heard voices among Touhou players that they didn't particularly like it, due to the overbloated game mechanics. The tackle you mentioned is somewhat forced on you as a spellcard-ender. What's wrong with just depleting a boss' health?

I wonder if I should buy a game like this again that I already have. On the one hand I'm not super-stoked for this one, on the other I like to support localization efforts of anything Touhou. I'll probably decide over the next few days. It is pretty expensive with 25 ? unfortunately. Discounted if you have a PSN-subscription but I currently don't.

You don't actually find this game if you search "Touhou" in the store, it must be "Azure" instead. That's an oversight.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:39:25 PM by Gesh86 »

Lebon14

• 椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 02:22:45 AM »
As an FYI, Clarste did quite a bit of work in translating this game. He translated 30-40% of it and he proofread the rest.
;)

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 03:00:34 AM »
Oh, I didn't realize he was the friend that one tweet mentioned. I was kind of salty about it before but that makes me feel a little better there was someone with actual familiarity on the team.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 05:07:03 PM »
You don't actually find this game if you search "Touhou" in the store, it must be "Azure" instead. That's an oversight.

I think it's because Azure Reflections is it's official full title, even though on lots of websites it gets referred to as "Touhou Project Azure Reflections".  I guess PSN isn't searching through the game descriptions, just titles.