Author Topic: Miscelleneous Touhou thoughts and commentary.  (Read 106676 times)

Re: Miscelleneous Touhou thoughts and commentary.
« Reply #270 on: August 05, 2016, 01:20:18 PM »
It's more like she burns herself to ash for each spellcard, rather than doing some special move between them. Ultimately, her body is still as fragile as a human's, and she's pushing it past its limit.
That would explain why she still dies even when her's spellcards are timed out

Camilo113

• Luck, Resilience and Perseverance
  • Gensokyo is capable of change
« Reply #271 on: August 06, 2016, 05:34:26 PM »
One of the chapters of Forbidden Scrollery demonstrates that Reimu knows a "cheat" technique to immediately unbind any seal. I think that scene is more meant to demonstrate Reimu's overwhelming talent in certain fields, especially in comparison to Marisa.

It was also implied by Patchouli in the Oriental Sacred Place manga when
Spoiler:
Marisa took some books for free stealed some books of the library and asked Reimu for help unsealing them. When Patchouli arrived at the scene of crime and retrieved the books, she was very surpired to see they were able to open one and remarked the fact she didn' have the knowledge to open it herself.

MANoBadAssGar Jr.

• look at dat pose, look at dat face
  • GARDORABLE!
« Reply #272 on: August 06, 2016, 10:50:23 PM »
......Um, i don't think "terrorist" and "triple agent" are words that would be used in fairy tales?
Stop making sense, like you dont know that place....

anyway, i was expecting people to retort more on the arsonist and half-ghost part....

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #273 on: September 01, 2016, 06:31:25 PM »
Latest CoLA: an incoming "destructive wave coming using the power of the occult". The starting point for Reisen's ULiL scenario? In that case it actually opens the possibility of a new final boss character.
Edit: unless it only means she predicted the lunarian probe and LoLK incident.

FS 43: loved Reimu's imagination and Marisa's trick. Yukari and Mamizou you can do better :V

WaHH 35 (untranslated): Yukari actually doing something again. Also, looks like someone disappeared from the village and Sumireko has something to do with it (unwillingly?). That immaginary Remilia too :P
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 06:29:17 AM by PK »

« Reply #274 on: September 04, 2016, 02:21:11 PM »
Hakurei Reimu
Hakureimu
Haku Reimu
Hacker Reimu

HAX Sign "Hakurei God" confirmed
I guess this is just a side effect of language barriers.

Koishi's definitely one of my favourite characters.
I mean,

Can we make this a meme?

On a more serious note though, any bullet spam looks the same to me. I'm glad ZUN took the time to give Koishi and some other characters some really unique patterns.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 12:03:26 AM by EPICI »

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #275 on: September 10, 2016, 11:58:53 AM »
Reading the ongoing-translation unabaraXZUN interview in SCoOW.
Apparently, Rumia was also one of ZUN's candidates for Hisoutensoku, something that never came out until now, i think (I only knew about Nitori, Wriggle, Kaguya, and Mokou being scrapped). Also, Kaguya seems inappropriate for a fighter anyway.

MANoBadAssGar Jr.

• GARDORABLE!
« Reply #276 on: October 24, 2016, 05:55:52 AM »
Sakuya lives in gensoukyo, says she's atheist, either she's trolling or being a fuckin Izayoi.

« Reply #277 on: October 24, 2016, 08:52:00 PM »
Sakuya lives in gensoukyo, says she's atheist, either she's trolling or being a fuckin Izayoi.

I believe that she said that before the Moriya Shrine gods arrived.

« Reply #278 on: October 24, 2016, 11:25:12 PM »
I believe that she said that before the Moriya Shrine gods arrived.

She says it again in WaHH 35, which is fairly recent.

« Reply #279 on: October 25, 2016, 12:10:06 AM »

Being an Atheist doesn't = not believing in gods.

It could also mean that she refuses to worship gods.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #280 on: October 25, 2016, 02:56:40 PM »
Being an Atheist doesn't = not believing in gods.

It could also mean that she refuses to worship gods.
That would be an apatheist (for disinterest) or a misotheist (for active dislike).

But when someone who's met gods calls themselves an atheist, it's clear they don't mean it literally.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #281 on: October 26, 2016, 09:14:38 AM »
Yeah, Sakuya was probably just talking about how she doesn't really care about them, probably because she already has a master.

As I was going through the ZUN/Iruka interview on the wiki to check the translation, I thought it was pretty cool how ZUN specifically added more tsukumogami specifically to segue into the whole urban legend deal. I'm not sure what he meant when he said he doesn't know what the future holds but still has stuff mapped out way in advance. Maybe it's like a branching path that he chooses depending on how some game or story is received?

« Reply #282 on: October 26, 2016, 04:18:46 PM »
For what it's worth, she uses the word 無神論者in WaHH 35. The full sentence, in response to being asked about 神隠し, is: 無神論者なのでそういう話はちょっと

It's clearly a joke.

The response to that is: 神隠しって天岩戸の話じゃないわよ。判っていると思うけど。
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 01:50:56 AM by Clarste »

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #283 on: October 26, 2016, 08:54:42 PM »
Hm, the ongoing translation for EoSD cross review looks really different from Clarste's one. In the old one, it looks like Marisa likes Rumia and her ability in some way, while now she's basically mocking her for making it easier to see danmaku.
I don't know what to believe in anymore!

« Reply #284 on: October 27, 2016, 02:53:20 AM »
That was a rough translation, ie: off the top of my head. I would probably trust the later ones unless it's blatantly bad.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #285 on: October 27, 2016, 07:04:23 AM »
Maybe my phrasing made it come off as slightly snarky but I don't think any of her appraisals are really sarcastic.

MANoBadAssGar Jr.

• GARDORABLE!
« Reply #286 on: October 27, 2016, 08:44:40 AM »

no, i mean, make me think how does she even see those Moriya as? just another apparition on the road side with divine power or something like that? & who does she think has brought her fly to space? that Izayoinggggg

look who's talking

« Reply #287 on: October 27, 2016, 02:52:24 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that Reimu could possibly be the god of her own shrine but she doesn't know it/forgot/keeps it a secret. Also another one where Yukari is the Hakurei god considering her close relationship with the shrine.

Doesn't seem plausible with Reimu, but Yukari could certainly be a possibility.... 

Jeremie

• MoonScraper
« Reply #288 on: October 28, 2016, 03:24:36 AM »
Perhaps this is something that can be dismissed in some sort of way (maybe it was brought up already?) but according to the Touhou books, one of the laws of Gensokyo is that humans and youkai are enemies as it is necessary for it's balance, or at least when it's related to the relationship human villagers have with the youkai.

One thing that came to my mind a while ago is that, technically, would anything change if somehow and for some reason humans and youkai started living together and it became an everyday occurrence sort of thing? One could be inclined to say "yes" but one recurring thing that keeps popping all the time whether it's in real life or fiction is that regardless of how people can get along, there's always going to be, at the very least a few that'll think and feel otherwise. So yes, basically, what I'm saying is that if both humans and youkai lived together, wouldn't racism and the fear of the different and the unknown mean that the cycle to balance Gensokyo end up still be maintained anyway? This is true for youkai after all too in the sense that there's always going to be some who'll laugh and be disgusted at the thought of living in peace and harmony with humans.

Obviously this isn't something that'll happen in Touhou even if it happened to be true since there probably wouldn't be any story but I'm curious about whether that line of thought is right, wrong or possible.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 03:26:24 AM by Jeremie »
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by Rumia.

« Reply #289 on: October 28, 2016, 03:54:24 AM »
Perhaps this is something that can be dismissed in some sort of way (maybe it was brought up already?) but according to the Touhou books, one of the laws of Gensokyo is that humans and youkai are enemies as it is necessary for it's balance, or at least when it's related to the relationship human villagers have with the youkai.

One thing that came to my mind a while ago is that, technically, would anything change if somehow and for some reason humans and youkai started living together and it became an everyday occurrence sort of thing? One could be inclined to say "yes" but one recurring thing that keeps popping all the time whether it's in real life or fiction is that regardless of how people can get along, there's always going to be, at the very least a few that'll think and feel otherwise. So yes, basically, what I'm saying is that if both humans and youkai lived together, wouldn't racism and the fear of the different and the unknown mean that the cycle to balance Gensokyo end up still be maintained anyway? This is true for youkai after all too in the sense that there's always going to be some who'll laugh and be disgusted at the thought of living in peace and harmony with humans.

Obviously this isn't something that'll happen in Touhou even if it happened to be true since there probably wouldn't be any story but I'm curious about whether that line of thought is right, wrong or possible.

The thing is, youkai actually need that fear to survive. If people stopped fearing youkai, they would cease to exist. That's the whole reason Gensokyo was created. It's essentially a Human-ranch for youkai to get the fear they need. Which is why, as revealed in the latest chapter of FS, the youkai are actually secretly doing everything in their power to keep the humans healthy and comfortable. And Akyu probably knows this too: if humans stopped fearing youkai, then the youkai of Gensokyo would have no more reason to keep them safe. It's not just racism, the segregation is metaphysically necessary for the continued existence of Gensokyo.

In other words, the people who are most sympathetic to other side are also the ones trying to perpetuate this. Even Keine, the half-human half-youkai who's caught in the middle, supports the antagonism.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 03:57:00 AM by Clarste »

Jeremie

• MoonScraper
« Reply #290 on: October 28, 2016, 06:17:43 AM »
The thing is, youkai actually need that fear to survive. If people stopped fearing youkai, they would cease to exist. That's the whole reason Gensokyo was created. It's essentially a Human-ranch for youkai to get the fear they need. Which is why, as revealed in the latest chapter of FS, the youkai are actually secretly doing everything in their power to keep the humans healthy and comfortable. And Akyu probably knows this too: if humans stopped fearing youkai, then the youkai of Gensokyo would have no more reason to keep them safe. It's not just racism, the segregation is metaphysically necessary for the continued existence of Gensokyo.

In other words, the people who are most sympathetic to other side are also the ones trying to perpetuate this. Even Keine, the half-human half-youkai who's caught in the middle, supports the antagonism.

Segregation in Gensokyo is a topic I find rather interesting in Touhou. The residents of the humans villages looks perfectly capable of being deadly afraid of the youkai but there's other cases that makes me wish to understand the situation a little better.  I don't believe it's inconsistencies but we have many, many instances of youkai and human villagers partaking in activities together such as the festivals at the shrine (or the one hundred ghost stories), entertainment brought by youkai such as the Manzairaku (?) shows held by the Kappa (although granted, Nitori claims kappa are allied with humans, which I assume might be related to business), Akyu ultimately shrugs off the situation about the young youkai, there's apparently (?) human disciples at the Myouren temple and the villagers are perfectly comfortable and fine with having the Zashiki-warashi in their households since they're benelovent spirits (granted, getting them out is considered bad fortune) among various other things.

I just feel it's interesting that despite these rules, there seem to be a certain level of flexibility shown.

MANoBadAssGar Jr.

• GARDORABLE!
« Reply #291 on: October 28, 2016, 10:05:50 AM »
I think probably not all youkai need to work on terrorizing human individually, like youkai in Myouren Temple, just a portion of Youkai type attacking human & all other Youkai type would be filled the same as long as they got "youkai label". Also i think Byakuren already a magician youkai, cmiiw tho.
That's probably how with Zashiki-warashi, they get filled just with humans fear any youkai. or another guess, she probably get the fear from human "fearing not having them in their house". i thought spirit don't work like youkai but there's spirit-like-youkai, Letty.

Nue probably example, she don't need people to fear her very self specifically, she just need them to fear any of the unidentified. tho she's like an embodiment of unidentified itself.
Some might don't need an exactly terror, Kogasa with surprise for example. tho surprise are kind of variant of fear i guess.
Patchoulli also, she doesn't seem to be attacking human. or magician youkai are exception.
The Oni's in the underground mostly still holing themselves up.
And Koishi are like incapable of scaring humans at her current state.
Yuuka seems feared enough (or somehow menacing i guess), yet Shiki tell her to terrorize human more. I think of course Yuuka get enough fear otherwise she won't be where she is now. Letty also only appear in winter & only in Gensoukyo, she got less active time than a bear.
And since some of the youkai are just pretty, like Letty, there's also the fear of getting rejected on your love confession, i'm just kidding.

With that, i think Byakuren want human & youkai to coexist peacefully could be possible, but with one last ultra mega legendary nasty grand extra secret boss SSR+ youkai Yukarin being the wild & uncontrollable putting terror to all human & youkai alike, sole enemy of all Gensoukyo. Thus drama about racism between Youkai & Human.
dbag of human man : "Why you tidy up my working desk!? FOR FUCK SAKE YOU YOUKAI!!!"
Yokina the yuki onna : "*hiks *hiks, you have changed, you said youkai doesn't matter in that snowy night *hiks"

About ghost stories events, probably they're not aware of the Youkai there or not smart, also Reimu are there so they probably being cocky or something. but yeah the youkai who are there are just like pretty young girl ain't they? except Yukarin.
Nitori & the kappa give me impression they're more like want to be favored by human but still by being considered superior.

By the way, i didn't know there was a tap water in gensoukyo.

« Reply #292 on: October 28, 2016, 10:29:59 AM »
Hey, they're ancient, not savage  :).  Tap water (along with water and sewage system) is a wonder of technology regardless of time period.

MANoBadAssGar Jr.

• GARDORABLE!
« Reply #293 on: October 28, 2016, 10:53:45 AM »
I thought they would be more like pump water.
not like i know some power source are needed to operate the water system

« Reply #294 on: October 29, 2016, 03:17:03 AM »
If I recall correctly, Byakuren's trying to find a way for youkai to survive without fear via budhism (was it mentioned in SoPM?  I forget) but currently it's implied they subsist by doing youkai things behind Byakuren's back (though Byakuren's implied to be purposefully ignoring that) or ended up getting alternate methods of having humans fear them (like Kyouko Kasodani, as explicitly pointed out in her profile when she was first introduced in Ten Desires)

Jeremie

• MoonScraper
« Reply #295 on: October 29, 2016, 03:24:48 AM »
If I recall correctly, Byakuren's trying to find a way for youkai to survive without fear via budhism (was it mentioned in SoPM?  I forget) but currently it's implied they subsist by doing youkai things behind Byakuren's back (though Byakuren's implied to be purposefully ignoring that) or ended up getting alternate methods of having humans fear them (like Kyouko Kasodani, as explicitly pointed out in her profile when she was first introduced in Ten Desires)

Byakuren's case is another rather interesting thing IMO. I guess it's very possible that she's ignoring what's going on around her on purpose but some of her actions and dialogue bits sometime makes her come off as... clueless? I imagine it could be also possible that she's completely ignorant about it too mainly because the reputation of the temple could be hurt if people found out that her disciples caused too many problems.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 03:28:25 AM by Jeremie »

« Reply #296 on: October 29, 2016, 03:53:18 AM »
I'm pretty sure Byakuren is meant to come off as well-meaning but clueless. It's also worth noting that, of the three religions discussed in Touhou, Buddhism is the one most concerned with accepting the inevitability of your own death. A good Buddhist is supposed to accept death as a natural and even good thing (which is why Byakuren's backstory is so ironic), so it follows that a youkai who is fully converted to Buddhism is simply one that accepts their own death and eventual reincarnation. It's not about finding a new way to live, it's about finding an acceptable way to die.

« Reply #297 on: October 29, 2016, 04:57:48 AM »
I almost never notice such a similarity between buddhism and Absurdism... I think what Byakuren is trying to do is to give Youkai some acceptance and "to laugh at the worthlessness of life" thing Absurdism speak about. That way (she think) Youkai won't have to keep brooding all the time about what's their purpose when that have been taken away from them, since Youkai could exist just by living in that place.

« Reply #298 on: October 29, 2016, 06:44:21 PM »
IDK if it belongs here, but i just found a image that PERFECTLY describes raymoo's personality in the different touhou mangas on clarstes' tumblr.

TL;DR: Raymoo is dumb and violent.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Jeremie

• MoonScraper
« Reply #299 on: October 29, 2016, 11:49:08 PM »
Sounds about right.  :3

I like that Sangetsusei's version basically translates to wanting to get those darn kids off her lawn. Can't drink that tea with all these whippersnappers trying to pull some wacky antics! Gosh darnit!

FS Reimu did nothing wrong.  :V ... except whenever she jumps to conclusions. Those silly tengu are definitely up to no good! They're for the birds!