Author Topic: Pokemon Go: Looking Silly In Public For Pokemon  (Read 70112 times)

Re: Pokemon Go: Looking Silly In Public For Pokemon
« Reply #390 on: July 28, 2016, 05:48:43 AM »
Be sure to listen to one of the best tracks in the series while hunting!

I actually can't participate in the contest if i'm volunteering, though I prefer the HGSS version of this.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #391 on: July 29, 2016, 12:53:04 PM »
What do you guys think of that Pokevision site that finds Pokemon for you? I'm pretty sure I consider it to be cheating, but apparently everyone around here has decided anything short of hacking your game is perfectly fine.

Normally I'd say tool assisted is tool assisted, but the fact that the in-game radar is completely broken and has been for some time is a valid point I guess.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #392 on: July 29, 2016, 02:07:47 PM »
My mom found a Pinsir

so I went over to PoGo and lo and behold, I caught a 610 CP Pinsir.

Thanks mom

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #393 on: July 29, 2016, 10:51:05 PM »
What do you guys think of that Pokevision site that finds Pokemon for you? I'm pretty sure I consider it to be cheating, but apparently everyone around here has decided anything short of hacking your game is perfectly fine.

Normally I'd say tool assisted is tool assisted, but the fact that the in-game radar is completely broken and has been for some time is a valid point I guess.

I've used it at work a couple of times. My break times are kinda short and I can only walk so far in a certain direction before having to turn back.

Ruka

• Lab Syndrome
  • "Even a failure produces valid results."
    • Ruka Sari Sari
« Reply #394 on: July 29, 2016, 11:30:00 PM »

If the in-game radar was working properly, I'd still probably use it as a guide since my sense of direction is apparently bad.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #395 on: July 29, 2016, 11:40:58 PM »
If anything seeing one of the developers calling out map apps while approving of artificially hatching eggs in basically the same sentence has swayed me toward not necessarily having a problem with them. It definitely rubs me the wrong way that they can't be bothered to fix their problem (I mean, I'm sure they're working on it, but it has been quite a while) but don't want anyone else offering a solution.

Drake

« Reply #396 on: July 30, 2016, 12:28:43 AM »
Artificially hatching eggs with dumb ideas in comparison to using map-based apps to locate pokemon is to me extremely similar to the public's relative trouble of grasping what's generally allowed in speedrunning versus actually cheating. If this exploit, why not this exploit?

Really the only argument I think that actually holds whatsoever is the fact that the game's API is publicly accessible, which is just on a technical level pretty stupid. I think it's absolutely great that some things were publicly accessible, like the master protobuf detailing pokemon and item data and all the kind of stuff that makes analysis on the game even possible, but being able to spoof and manipulate the game's workings itself is just fundamentally something beyond what I'd consider as "not cheating". It might not be super apparent from the user side, but using pokevision and other similar apps are technically about the same as botting; the information the user can find from it is a side-effect.

A lot of people just argue that the game is currently broken for finding pokemon and so they're fine with using external tools to not make it stupid. Which I find totally reasonable, but it's still cheating. Many people seem to have the notion that if it's justifiable, it isn't cheating, which is silly and just a way to try and avoid feeling bad about it.

Personally, while I don't like the use of map tools to find individual pokemon for the individual user at specific times, what I would like to see happen is the use of these tools to instead do anonymous large-scale analysis on spawn locations and times, and use this data to map out probable locations of pokemon. This to me is wayyyy more like actually doing science on "pokemon behaviour" and it doesn't benefit individual people instantly as they wish, it just informs them where pokemon could spawn at likely times, and isn't just something people can easymode their way through finding pokemon. On top of this, random rare spawns would still have the same impact of discovery and hunting. Something like this is really what I'd want out of a game like this, honestly. People are already doing this with crowdsourced information, which I think is the best case scenario, but if access to the maps is a given, this would be the best use of it imo.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 12:31:30 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #397 on: July 30, 2016, 03:49:10 AM »
I fully agree with this, but can you elaborate on:
the public's relative trouble of grasping what's generally allowed in speedrunning versus actually cheating. If this exploit, why not this exploit?
Is it hard for people to realize that using a thing not in the game in any form is cheating? As in, code injection and (this one's borderline) cart tilting?

Anyway, that's off-topic.
Using a public API is fine, in my eyes. The problem is the way Niantic is releasing data to it. No API should (for the purpose of keeping the game fun and fair-ish) tell you exactly where Pokemon are at all times. What they should be able to tell you is simply the fact that there is a Pokemon somewhere. That would actually add to the game, being able to know simply that something exists there. From there, it's the community's job to build a custom map on top of that which, based on user-collected data, tells you what is likely to be in a location.I reread your post.

The next issue with this would then be that nest locations cycle every now and then.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4v92bj/game_changes_several_reports_that_ingame_nests/
Is the source for that.

And, in significantly older news, https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/758194900466671616

PADherder <3 Updated 8/13/2017!

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
    • Danmaku!! Official Site
« Reply #398 on: July 30, 2016, 04:01:12 AM »
The Rural-Suburban-Urban disparity really bums me out.  I'd been hearing about crazy hotspots in cities, but to actually see that there's nothing but Rattatas and Pidgeys within several miles of you is really disheartening.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #399 on: July 30, 2016, 05:20:17 AM »
Yeah, it's pretty unfortunate. The difference between my neighborhood and my college is huge, when I went to the basin in Washington DC, that was ridiculous. Got several pokemon, I'd never appeared once in my neighoborhood or the college area.

As for the pokevision/spoofing stuff, I think they're both cheating, but I'm okay with pokevision. Finding stuff is pain in the butt and I'm not even sure you can use the the pokemon in the left hand corner is close to you anymore. If you're in a rural area and there are 3 or less pokemon available it might as well not exist.

I don't mind that they changed nest locations, it's not very interesting if you just know where you can find stuff. I want a dragonair/dragonite though.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #400 on: July 30, 2016, 07:30:47 AM »
I noticed that a lot of spawn points in my neighbourhood changed their pokemons. Nidoran male now is always a Nidoran female. Onix, who spawned always at same location has now become a Doduo spawn.

Curious about your own experience.

Drake

« Reply #401 on: July 30, 2016, 10:35:12 AM »
It's been confirmed that a lot of nests have changed species. Some more general spawns have probably also changed.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #402 on: July 31, 2016, 08:44:58 AM »
Pokevision site is up but their service is no longer provided. A tweet on their twitter says they are respecting Niantic's wishes. What ever that might be.

I agree Pokevision is cheating. No need for justification to use it, but not having a proper working in-game tracking is equally bad. There is no justification for that either on Niantic's side. The game is simply rubbish now.

Edit
So the new pokemon update removes the paw-print tracking entirely. Not sure how to feel about this.

The game seems smoother now. They also fixed the map (certain park roads were not shown)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 10:42:48 AM by Helepolis »

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #403 on: July 31, 2016, 02:14:36 PM »

So the new pokemon update removes the paw-print tracking entirely. Not sure how to feel about this.
Livid? It was cute thinking of Niantic as a floundering seal trying its best and failing, but this move completes the public's change in perception of the company to "malicious". This is not the direction I wanted my hugely popular Pokemon fad to go in.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 02:19:41 PM by BT »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #404 on: July 31, 2016, 04:11:46 PM »
Even though I heavily abused Pokevision's availability, I am all for preventing cheating as long as they bring back the damned paw-tracking.

Seriously, anybody at any regular development would get 1000% fired for the exact same shit Niantic did with the removal of the paw-tracking. You don't just shove things under the carpet because you can't get it fixed. And as usual, there is no PR / Spokesman/woman explaining why it lead to this decision. It smells of incompetence at maximum.

The worst part is, doesn't matter how many people complain on Social Media or real life. Niantic can and will get away with this.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #405 on: July 31, 2016, 04:42:06 PM »
Yeah, I'm not happy about this at all. On the plus side, if my understanding of this is right assuming you weren't using third-party cheat apps before your effective ability to find Pokemon did actually go up, since the range at which they appear on-screen has been increased fairly significantly. So if we assume the broken tracking and the complete removal of tracking are equivalent, it's all upside.

In practice though, the apparent lack of shits given by Niantic is much worse than a slight boost in effective spawn rates since as far as we know they just don't want anyone to be able to track anything at this point, meaning a fix may not be on the way after all. I hope that's not the case, but we're not being given much information to work with.

I know two people who just deleted the app after this update because they made extensive use of Pokevision and can't be bothered to play if the game's not going to allow them to track anything in any way. Can't say I really blame them.

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #406 on: July 31, 2016, 04:43:16 PM »
In case anyone didn't notice, they also removed... power saver. Because that had issues, right? ...Right?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #407 on: July 31, 2016, 04:54:24 PM »
The rage is real. They removed nice, great, excellent exp boost on a catch.

Imagine if you had game play mechanics in a game to reward your effort.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #408 on: July 31, 2016, 04:55:13 PM »
Ah god dammit, what? Why? What could the possible balance reason for that be? Or was it a performance thing?

This game is so broken and is barely a game, so updates that are just "remove much of the game" are what we need, right? Maybe they can remove Revives next or something.

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #409 on: July 31, 2016, 05:10:58 PM »
While I was looking for other dumb things, I realized that "Tips" (in the pokeball center button menu) and "Quick Start" (in Pokeball button>Settings>Quick Start) give you the exact same information about PokeStops and Gyms. But changing/removing one of those isn't a better idea than blatantly removing things that either need to be fixed (radar) or are already working (Power Saver), apparently :V

Actually, I just realized something.
You would think that the "minor text fixes" in at least one of those would change "Tips".
What are these "minor text fixes", anyway? It's seemingly not something that we're seeing.

I guess I'm kind of nit-picking, but still. What are "minor text fixes"?
EDIT: Apparently IVs are a thing http://www.idigitaltimes.com/pokemon-go-stats-explained-newly-discovered-secret-numbers-behind-your-pokemon-546188
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 05:37:37 PM by Hikari »

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #410 on: July 31, 2016, 05:46:28 PM »
"Minor text fixes" is a meme.

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #411 on: July 31, 2016, 05:52:13 PM »

Ruka

• Lab Syndrome
  • "Even a failure produces valid results."
    • Ruka Sari Sari
« Reply #412 on: July 31, 2016, 06:14:32 PM »
Removing steps changed nothing as far as I'm concerned. I've been working on the line of people report nests, that's where I'll go if I want something specific. Anything else that's reported by the tracker is a rare or uncommon encounter.

Honestly, I just think they're removing the steps until they can figure something out. If not, that's fine too.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #413 on: July 31, 2016, 06:35:46 PM »
Indeed.
This never gets old.

I wasn't using Pok?vision, but I could easily see why it was essential for some players, especially since the tracker doesn't work at all. I was expecting it to go down eventually, but I wasn't expecting Niantic to just remove some more functionalities altogether.

And yet, they'll get away with this because it's Pok?mon. Kinda frustrating.

Drake

« Reply #414 on: August 01, 2016, 12:25:24 AM »
As for iOS, they just replaced the battery saver with background app refresh so you just don't need to have the thing unlocked while running around to begin with. So uh better. Pretty sure you should be setting Location to Always, as well.

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #415 on: August 01, 2016, 01:47:24 AM »
As for iOS, they just replaced the battery saver with background app refresh so you just don't need to have the thing unlocked while running around to begin with. So uh better. Pretty sure you should be setting Location to Always, as well.

In Settings, the options are "Never" and "While Using", unless I'm doing something wrong.

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #416 on: August 01, 2016, 01:59:41 AM »
Indeed.

Everytime I come in here, I am reminded of why I laugh a full laugh once everyone is all 'PoGO IS THE BIG THREAT TO MUH MOBAGE'. Thank you.

Drake

« Reply #417 on: August 01, 2016, 03:01:21 AM »
In Settings, the options are "Never" and "While Using", unless I'm doing something wrong.
Well, some people have said that's what they've been doing to keep steps tracked while locked. I can't really confirm, maybe it's fine just while-using; I don't know iOS.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #418 on: August 01, 2016, 05:56:30 AM »
Willing to wager they removed all tracking and websites due to the whole fiascos going on with trespassing and the like if the tone of tge pop-ups I'm seeing are any indication. I highly doubt it'll be coming back, and surprised that the nearby list wasn't removed as well.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #419 on: August 01, 2016, 12:36:58 PM »
Willing to wager they removed all tracking and websites due to the whole fiascos going on with trespassing and the like if the tone of tge pop-ups I'm seeing are any indication. I highly doubt it'll be coming back, and surprised that the nearby list wasn't removed as well.

Here is what PokeVision's dev had to say about it

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale