Author Topic: Pokemon Go: Looking Silly In Public For Pokemon  (Read 70111 times)

Re: Pokemon Go: Looking Silly In Public For Pokemon
« Reply #300 on: July 19, 2016, 12:44:09 AM »
Man, I would really love to join the fun, but I'm way too clumsy to hold a phone in my hand at all times and not drop it on concrete immidiately or bump into someone. :V
Lunatic 1CCs: PCB, IN, PoFV, HSiFS
Extra: All except PC-98.

Oh hey look I can do DNH scrips.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #301 on: July 19, 2016, 01:03:36 AM »
God damn, so I was just trying to sneak a few Pokemon into some gyms in a nearby graveyard since I'm, you know, not a whale and have no better source of resources.

No fewer than SIX slow-driving Wailords immediately mobbed me the second I tried to battle a gym and start rapidly taking it over from each other with their 2500+ power Pokemon. I managed to slip a random Pidgey in and collect my single gym for the day, but... No gyms for me anymore ever I guess? Thanks whales, really making the game more fun.

I don't think I would have minded that much had they not ALL been slow driving, but that left a bad taste in my mouth.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 01:36:36 AM by commandercool »
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #302 on: July 19, 2016, 01:31:04 AM »
God damn, so I was just trying to sneak a few Pokemon into some gyms in a nearby graveyard since I'm, you know, not a whale and have. o better source of resources.

No fewer than SIX slow-driving Wailords immediately mobbed me the second I tried to battle a gym and start rapidly taking it over from each other with their 2500+ power Pokemon. I managed to slip a random Pidgey in and collect my single gym for the day, but... No gyms for me anymore ever I guess? Thanks whales, really making the game more fun.

I don't think I would have minded that much had they not ALL been slow driving, but that left a bad taste in my mouth.

The slow drivers are the worst because you can tell they're tryhards

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #303 on: July 19, 2016, 01:46:17 AM »
Alright, so I've got a bunch of questions about the mechanics of this game. Any answers or insight would be greatly appreciated.

-Do quadruple super effective or quadruple resist exist in this game?

-Does Same Type Attack Bonus exist?

-Are there objectively terrible and objectively amazing Pokemon, stats-wise, or is everything roughly balanced? Like, is a Butterfree of a certain CP just worse than a Dragonite of the same CP, types and moves excepted?

-How does CP actually work? I've had a fair number of battles in gyms lately where I was maybe 200 CP behind the defender and my super effective attacks would do 2-5% of their health, while their not very effective attacks would take off 15-20% of mine. Is being a little behind in CP that big a deal? Are my Pokemon just trash-tier and theirs are amazing? Do gym defenders get a massive stat boost?

-Where do whales get Stardust from? I catch every Pokemon I see, I hatch eggs, I do my best to claim at least a couple of gyms a day, but I have none ever and my Pokemon seem weak as hell (one is ~1000 CP, and the rest on my team are ~700) compared to everyone I see in gyms. And as I level up I can only imagine that getting worse since my Stardust intake will be the same but my requirements will be much, much higher. Do whales only have a single 3000 CP Pokemon with all their proverbial eggs in one basket and I just always happen to run into it in gyms?

The slow drivers are the worst because you can tell they're tryhards

The worst part is that this is the only source of clumped Pokestops within three miles or so. Which is why they're there I'm sure. I might be able to occasionally sneak my way into gyms that "aren't worth their time", but I'll be at zero Pokeballs in no time. So I have my pick of either the Whales Only Fools spot where I actually have a supply of Pokeballs, or the desolate suburban wasteland where I might be able to hold three gyms at once but have virtually no source of items. I feel like I don't reeeeally have time to go to both every day.

« Reply #304 on: July 19, 2016, 02:12:06 AM »
STAB exists but it's weaker than normal. weaknesses are also weaker than in the actual games (it's more like 1.2x than 1.5x)

Game isn't balanced. Basically Vaporeon with water gun OP.

CP is just calculated from base stats (atk, def, and HP) so yes any difference matters. But it also doesn't matter if you can dodge like a god and it's possible to beat high CP gyms even with a 10 CP magikarp

Save your stardust until you get something good, like a high base CP Vaporeon, Dragonite, Lapras, Alakazam, or Snorlax. Getting high base CP pokemon completely depends on your trainer level. Easiest way to level is to spam pokestops and egg hatching, then mass evolve Pidgey/Weedle/Caterpie and whatever else you want all at the same time with a lucky egg boost. Also catch every wild pokemon with a "GREAT" or better (wait for the ring to shrink and then shoot the ball through it)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 02:15:08 AM by Suikama »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #305 on: July 19, 2016, 02:27:23 AM »
STAB exists but it's weaker than normal. weaknesses are also weaker than in the actual games (it's more like 1.2x than 1.5x)

Interesting.

Game isn't balanced. Basically Vaporeon with water gun OP.

Fuck. So no reason to use actually cool Pokemon, huh? That blows.

CP is just calculated from base stats (atk, def, and HP) so yes any difference matters. But it also doesn't matter if you can dodge like a god and it's possible to beat high CP gyms even with a 10 CP magikarp

Maybe, if gyms weren't horrifically laggy. Dodging was impossible at the gym I was trying to capture earlier. A Psyshock or Aqua Tail could miss you by a country mile and you'd still take full damage. And that's to say nothing of the enemy getting stuck at one HP 50% of the time.

Save your stardust until you get something good, like a high base CP Vaporeon, Dragonite, Lapras, Alakazam, or Snorlax. Getting high base CP pokemon completely depends on your trainer level. Easiest way to level is to spam pokestops and egg hatching, then mass evolve Pidgey/Weedle/Caterpie and whatever else you want all at the same time with a lucky egg boost. Also catch every wild pokemon with a "GREAT" or better (wait for the ring to shrink and then shoot the ball through it)

Okay, so what's good and what isn't?

I've done the mass evolve thing with lucky egg once, it got me to level 16, which is apparently like nothing. Everyone I know who's very high level got there because they just constantly play at work (and often whale for a ton of Lucky Eggs as well), and I don't have that option.

« Reply #306 on: July 19, 2016, 02:33:19 AM »
but vaporeon is cool :<

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #307 on: July 19, 2016, 02:39:30 AM »
Yeah, Vaporeon is pretty cool, but it's being ruined for me right now by the way absolutely everyone is using it. I can't help it, I'm a contrarian jackass.

And I've grown pretty attached to my Flareon. Want to hug Flareon's fluffy fluff.

Ruka

• Lab Syndrome
  • "Even a failure produces valid results."
    • Ruka Sari Sari
« Reply #308 on: July 19, 2016, 02:41:02 AM »
I guess regarding phone carriers, ATT? T-Mobile? Something else?

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #309 on: July 19, 2016, 04:24:25 AM »
but vaporeon is cool :<

vaporeon doesn't deserve anything 0/10 would beat up with a snorlax

Okay, so what's good and what isn't?

Vaporeon is the best easy catch option in the game, assuming you roll the right Eevee.  Snorlax is the best pokemon for raw value in the entire game as well, but having no stab on base attacks.

Puff is the second best easy catch, and Lapras i kinda like a slightly better vaporeon. Except, you know, far harder to level up. Muk's pretty good but on the weaker side of all those.

If you find a dratini and want to waste time, Dragonite has the best CP but loses to everything else in hp by a pretty significant amount.

Everything else is basically 'bad' to 'okay but still not as good as other things'.

This game is even worse than the actual games in balanced, it's really dumb.

Edit: also alakazam is loving fucking TERRIBLE suikama what the fuck, that's lower than even jolteon and sub 100 hp, pidgeot is fucking better than it
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 05:18:49 AM by Chaore »

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #310 on: July 19, 2016, 09:26:31 AM »
I think there's more to CP than simple trainer level. Found two caterpies within a day of ea ch other, one before a,level up and ome after. They have about the same CP, the one before with 136 is behind on the gauge than one I caught after with 130. Will attach photo after to try and explain what I mean

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #311 on: July 19, 2016, 10:08:50 AM »
Easy catch you say... Eevee has been extremely rare for me at all times, I only have three.

Aaaanyway, went out for lunch with coworkers, overheard another Pogo group talk about lures. This is the result:

« Reply #312 on: July 19, 2016, 12:04:32 PM »
vaporeon doesn't deserve anything 0/10 would beat up with a snorlax

Vaporeon is the best easy catch option in the game, assuming you roll the right Eevee.  Snorlax is the best pokemon for raw value in the entire game as well, but having no stab on base attacks.

Puff is the second best easy catch, and Lapras i kinda like a slightly better vaporeon. Except, you know, far harder to level up. Muk's pretty good but on the weaker side of all those.

If you find a dratini and want to waste time, Dragonite has the best CP but loses to everything else in hp by a pretty significant amount.

Everything else is basically 'bad' to 'okay but still not as good as other things'.

This game is even worse than the actual games in balanced, it's really dumb.

Edit: also alakazam is loving fucking TERRIBLE suikama what the fuck, that's lower than even jolteon and sub 100 hp, pidgeot is fucking better than it
zam is only good if you can dodge cause psywhatever

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #313 on: July 19, 2016, 01:14:36 PM »
Just got back from a trip in the country. Stopping for food about 50km out of town, the village we stopped in was swarming with Electric types, which was super fun.

Apparently resting my phone on the dashboard while driving didn't register any kilometers for me, and my eggs were at a standstill. The bus and of course walking seem to register just fine though. Weird.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #314 on: July 19, 2016, 01:40:17 PM »
It doesn't count distance if youre moving above a certain speed (20 kph or something) to prevent ez driving eggs

Tengukami

« Reply #315 on: July 19, 2016, 02:10:52 PM »
Ah, I see. Well that explains why the ceiling fan hack works.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
    • Danmaku!! Official Site
« Reply #316 on: July 19, 2016, 02:48:47 PM »
It's so hot today that fire types are spawning when they usually never do, but with 65% humidity and a high of 100F no one is going outside

« Reply #317 on: July 19, 2016, 03:03:55 PM »
It's so hot today that fire types are spawning when they usually never do, but with 65% humidity and a high of 100F no one is going outside

except the true pokemon masters!!!111

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #318 on: July 19, 2016, 03:06:48 PM »
except the true pokemon masters!!!111

I know what that means! Driving around in their mom's minivan with the windows up and the air conditioning on, right?

Tengukami

« Reply #319 on: July 19, 2016, 03:08:35 PM »
True Pok?mon Masters fight with honor. I walk to and from my gyms, dag nabbit.

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
    • Danmaku!! Official Site
« Reply #320 on: July 19, 2016, 03:33:17 PM »

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #321 on: July 19, 2016, 05:10:10 PM »
Yeah I've given up on gyms.  There's no way I'm getting high enough level to challenge them.

Kinda losing interest in the game as well.  It just eats up too much of my life to play.  If it was a little more stable I could justify mixing it with walking trips, and if it didn't demand constant attention I could do it casually, but as is it's too much effort for questionable reward.  Maybe I'll get back if they fix the Quality of Life issues.

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #322 on: July 19, 2016, 05:53:27 PM »
Easy catch you say... Eevee has been extremely rare for me at all times, I only have three.

Eevee are pretty prominent where i'm around so maybe that's  just me, and it appears to be a staple of every citydweller i've seen.

« Reply #323 on: July 19, 2016, 06:28:01 PM »
Man someone has a Starmie in a gym near me and I'm thinking, "now there's a Pokemon you don't see often" :V

To list all the common Pokemon in my area, it's Ekans, Sandshrew, Mankey, Machop, Geodude, Doduo, Cubone, and Rhyhorn. So many Ground-types `_` I hardly get Pidgey here so I can't even do the Pidgey power-leveling trick.

Tengukami

« Reply #324 on: July 19, 2016, 06:44:02 PM »
the Pidgey power-leveling trick.

Do elaborate!

« Reply #325 on: July 19, 2016, 07:02:32 PM »
Basically, evolving nets you the most EXP with 500 EXP per evolution. Pidgey evolves with only 12 candies (the lowest cost for a Pokemon), so the trick involves hoarding a lot of Pidgey and then evolving them all at once to get a ton of EXP, especially when combined with a Lucky Egg that doubles your EXP gain.

It works since Pidgey is supposed to be a common Pokemon, but it's unfortunately not the case for me 8(

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #326 on: July 19, 2016, 07:11:49 PM »
Vaporeon is the best easy catch option in the game, assuming you roll the right Eevee. 
I have heard that if you name your Eevee Rainer it will force-evolve into Vaporeon.

Same is supposed to apply to Sparky for Jolteon and Pyro for Flareon.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Tengukami

« Reply #327 on: July 19, 2016, 07:23:12 PM »
Basically, evolving nets you the most EXP with 500 EXP per evolution. Pidgey evolves with only 12 candies (the lowest cost for a Pokemon), so the trick involves hoarding a lot of Pidgey and then evolving them all at once to get a ton of EXP, especially when combined with a Lucky Egg that doubles your EXP gain.

It works since Pidgey is supposed to be a common Pokemon, but it's unfortunately not the case for me 8(

Well damn, I need to try this. This place is swarming with Pidgeys, Weedles and Ratatas.

« Reply #328 on: July 19, 2016, 07:27:11 PM »
Rats take 25 to evolve so they aren't as good

Weedle and caterpie are good though

Tengukami

« Reply #329 on: July 19, 2016, 07:39:14 PM »
Pretty sick of Ratatas anyway tbh. But I'm really looking forward to evolving and powering up some of these Electric types. They seem to pack a real punch (depending who they're up against, of course).