Author Topic: Touhou on Linux and MacOS X, using Wine or Virtualization  (Read 134044 times)

Re: Touhou on Linux and MacOS X, using Wine or Virtualization
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2011, 06:11:23 AM »
I realize I am bumping this thread from months ago. (or wait - I'm not. Just realized this is a sticky.)

I am trying to run SA on a netbook with Linux Ubuntu 11.10 or something about that. I don't have much previous experience with Linux, sadly, I took it because it's free....

SA is running at about less than 10 FPS, although the music plays just fine. SA has previously run fine on a laptop with a 1.6GHz CPU, 2GB of RAM and some Intel graphics card. This netbook also has a 1.6GHz CPU, 2GB of RAM and some Intel graphics card, so I doubt it's because it's too weak, but rather because it's Linux and Wine.

A response would be appreciated. Insulting my lack of experience would be... rude, but proper. Saying it can't be helped is okay if you give reasons.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2011, 07:48:08 AM »
What's your exact hardware?  Can you post the output of "lspci"?

« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2011, 02:19:38 PM »
That's what I get for using Linux... I am told to do things and I can't even understand the tech talk.

After a lot of Google magic, I managed to understand what did you ask for. I'd post it if I wasn't afraid of the sheer size of the output.
You don't have spoiler tags here, do you...

'00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation N10 Family DMI Bridge
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation NM10 Family LPC Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet (rev c1)
02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

Downsized a bit this way, at least. Also, this is where I bought it - and it was this week, so all info should be up to date.

Here

You can also have, for reference...

the Old Machine's Speccy output, which is an easy but Windows-only way to get hardware data AFAIK
and what the old and new look side to side

The one to the left is the one I'm typing from, as you can tell from the open... this page. The one to the right has run Touhou before, despite its hardware being about as crap as this one's. So, it must be my fault, for using Linux or not being able to use it right...
...and, if the latter, tas-ke-te
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 02:23:44 PM by Minnakht »

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2011, 04:13:29 PM »
Your EeePC also has an Atom N455, which is a very slow CPU.  And the CPU is definitely important since those Intel graphics chips don't do much actual 3D graphics in hardware.  That's why your older computer might run the games fine, it has a regular CPU that's much faster than the Atom (even at the same clock speed).

Your best bet if you're trying to shoehorn any sort of videogame into an Atom system is to get one with the Nvidia Ion2 chipset, which includes actual Geforce graphics hardware.

« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2011, 04:48:31 PM »
In other words, it can be only two out of three - very portable, cheap, and capable of running even the low-requirements games. Okay.

Oh well. At least I still have my big rig, which should be able to run just about every game. And SA works there just fine.
Thanks for your advice, though!
...now, should I stick around and check the forum out, or just depart as an one-timer...

« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2011, 11:09:24 PM »
Has anyone gotten Koumajou Densetsu II: Stranger's Requiem to work under Wine? It just hangs at 100% CPU on startup for me.

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2011, 10:14:25 AM »
So, uh, this is very weird. The only Touhou I've tested Wine (using mac ports) on Lion here is Touhou 6. It's been running fine in the past, but today, out of nowhere, it's just a black screen, while the rest of the game is running fine; sound, input. However, if I choose to make it windowed, it runs fine. (although, since I tested that as I'm writing this, the menu is infinitely scrolling up, and I can't stop it :V, I've had that happen only once back on my Win98.... actually, I can't do anything at all, awesome) I've tried completely uninstalling wine and xquartz, removing the files in my library's cache and library folders, then redid the install, just like before, but the problem persists. I'm not really sure what to do now, and google isn't proving helpful with this in the slightest.

Also, it would be awesome if those darn black boxes around the font wasn't there, but I see that it's a general issue with wine and touhou.

Fake edit: There, restarted it to fix the infinite scrolling of doom. That was weird.

EDIT: So, after restarting Mac OS X, because wine apparently couldn't find allocated memory the server port: 0x0000044e (edited) so was totally useless, again, I was able to start up the game normally, and thought I was good. Then did it again, black screen was back. And now a new one: the splash screen is white sometimes, then after that, the game loads up normally. So now I'm even more lost as to what it's doing.

EDIT 2: (yet another one) Ok, so now it's starting to behave again, but still not what it used to be like. What's happening now is that the first load up fine, but each time after it is broken, but that's only if XQuartz is still open. If I close it out after the game, then immediately load back up touhou, it loads fine. It's odd, because it wasn't doing this earlier today, so I'm starting to think it's something with XQuartz handling it, if not, Wine's implementation of graphics.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 05:33:37 AM by Agent of the BSoD »
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2011, 05:37:22 AM »
It could be OS X interfering with your graphics card and memory used by Wine.

« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2011, 03:57:31 PM »
I tried to play touhou 12.3 on wine (linux ubuntu) but I have problem with control (selection in menu keeps going down in circles) and I can't do anything. I don't know how to disable direct input in touhou 12.3.  Please help.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 04:07:00 PM by andrzej »

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2011, 03:50:18 AM »
I've seen this before, especially on the older Win32 games.  Did you install wine1.2 or wine1.3?  You definitely want to try the development versions over the stable ones.

« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2011, 04:09:49 AM »
I have wine 1.2.2-0ubuntu2-maverick2. So I need to install wine 1.3?

« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2011, 04:29:57 AM »
I installed wine 1.3 but problem still appears.

« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2011, 12:07:37 PM »
Good day. I'm trying to run GFW on Mac under Parallels Desktop 7.0 and keep getting this error. I've looked into the properties of th128.cfg, it's not read-only, and disk is not full. Though somehow when i'm trying to uncheck the readonly property of GFW folder (there's not a checkmark, but a filled square), and then reenter the properties, it is marked again. But i'm not sure this has something to do with the problem.
So, what could that be?
http://i.imgur.com/WUdR7.png
Нахуя вам тохо?

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2011, 08:39:20 PM »
For Vista/Win7, try running it as administrator.

« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2011, 08:52:27 PM »
Hmmm... strange. I am the only user and have administrator rights, as i remember. Well anyway i'll look into it again tomorrow. Thanks for response!
(oh yeah, win7)
Нахуя вам тохо?

« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2011, 10:12:15 AM »
So yeah, i am actually the only user ? the administrator. But the strange thing that it doesn't let me in some folders anyway, for example like this (http://i.imgur.com/QSPec.png ? it says "access denied"), though i am marked as the only user and the owner of rights etc. Is there anything i am missing?
Yeah and also should have looked in win7 topic, now i see there was a similar problem, though it didn't help.
Нахуя вам тохо?

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2011, 12:31:48 PM »
Hmmm, yeah there's definitely an issue.  You may want to try creating a new user account for yourself, with full admin rights, and moving to that instead.

« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2011, 01:08:49 PM »
Hmmm, yeah there's definitely an issue.  You may want to try creating a new user account for yourself, with full admin rights, and moving to that instead.
It worked! I created a new user with admin rights and now it runs without any problems. Thank you very much, Momiji!
Нахуя вам тохо?

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2011, 01:26:18 PM »
Awesome, glad it worked.  <3

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2012, 05:08:02 AM »
So, as of the development version of Wine (1.5.9), there have been some tweaks of using XRandr that hurt for Mac OS X users. Because of this, any games using fullscreen mode won't work (or some might just open windowed instead). A fix you can use for this is
Code: [Select]
xrandr
Simply type that out, in which it should spit out a list of resolutions that you can ignore, then for the next command, launch Touhou like normal, but don't close out XQuartz in between commands or else it won't work.
Pretty much what Wine is doing is using the new XRandr 1.2 and 1.3, and not using XRandr 1.1, which allows for resolution adjusting, so we're forcing it to use it. (not sure how that command is doing it but I know it works from repeated tests and different games) I don't know if Linux users are suffering from this bug, however, as I do not own a Linux dedicated machine.
TF2 Backpack

« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2012, 08:15:42 PM »
I'm told by the Touhou Wiki that I can run the game just by having Wine and X11 (both of which I have). When I run it, it opens a window, but an error message also pops up, and it's entirely in gibberish. Am I doing something wrong?

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2012, 12:47:57 AM »
Have you tried running it from the terminal?  Try doing so, and pastebin the logs.

« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2012, 01:53:27 AM »
Have you tried running it from the terminal?  Try doing so, and pastebin the logs.

I... what?  ???

Sorry, I'm not too proficient with computer terminology. You may have to dumb it down for me.  :derp:

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2012, 03:39:00 AM »
Ok, uhm.  I assume you installed Wine via Macports, like in the howto from above? 

« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2012, 05:24:10 AM »
Ok, uhm.  I assume you installed Wine via Macports, like in the howto from above?

Touhou Wiki provided a link to download Winebottler; that's where I got it from. X11 came with the Mac already conveniently enough.

I don't know if it helps, but I can play two other games (Iji and I Wanna Be The Guy) just fine on. It's Touhou 6 and 7 (EoSD and PCB) that are giving me trouble.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2012, 06:17:48 AM »
The important thing about the Wine-via-MacPorts guide is it has a nice explanation on using the terminal here.  It's important to know the basics of the Unix shell for troubleshooting stuff with Wine.

Anyway, once you understand that, navigate to the folder of your Touhou game of choice (for example, PCB) and run it with Wine, like such:
$ wine th07.exe
You may or may not get a lot of stuff popping up in the terminal while running the game.  If there's anything at all, post it on Pastebin and post the link here.

Also, do:
$ wine --version
in your terminal and post the output here.

« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2012, 07:15:06 PM »
The important thing about the Wine-via-MacPorts guide is it has a nice explanation on using the terminal here.  It's important to know the basics of the Unix shell for troubleshooting stuff with Wine.

Anyway, once you understand that, navigate to the folder of your Touhou game of choice (for example, PCB) and run it with Wine, like such:
$ wine th07.exe
You may or may not get a lot of stuff popping up in the terminal while running the game.  If there's anything at all, post it on Pastebin and post the link here.

Also, do:
$ wine --version
in your terminal and post the output here.

I tried putting the first thing in the terminal. "Command not found" it said.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2012, 10:03:19 PM »
I tried putting the first thing in the terminal. "Command not found" it said.
Are you typing in the $? Because you don't type that. Just type what comes after it.
TF2 Backpack

« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2012, 11:09:27 PM »
Are you typing in the $? Because you don't type that. Just type what comes after it.

No, I left it out.

I wonder why the other games work, but Touhou doesn't.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2012, 11:20:47 PM »
If the command wasn't found, it means you don't have the package. So you need to get wine first.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."