Author Topic: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 5, Part 3  (Read 69641 times)

Re: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 5, Part 3
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2018, 10:09:44 PM »
>"They were under the effects of powerful mind control. We've done them no harm."
>In fact, shouldn't they already be rousting themselves by now? If so, point that out.

>"Likely story." puts in a winged man standing behind the blonde that spoke earlier.
>"Next she'll say we're under 'powerful mind control'" a teenage girl with a cheap tan and fake nails drawls.
>You suspect it wouldn't be hard in that girls' case.

>They may be, but you cannot see them around the crowd.

« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2018, 04:14:36 AM »
>"If you aren't, then you would all do well to evacuate. There is a dangerous criminal at large in the airport and we are here to apprehend them."

« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2018, 10:30:22 PM »
>"If you aren't, then you would all do well to evacuate. There is a dangerous criminal at large in the airport and we are here to apprehend them."

>"Looks ta me like all'a dang'rous ones're outside." growls an accented male voice from behind you.
>"Or in here." the blonde man adds.
>"Does that include me?" Yuna asks, stepping toward the blonde man. "Surely you must recognize a serving shrine maiden."
>"Yeah, with magic." an albino woman with green feathered wings and an aristocratic bearing points out.

« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2018, 12:26:47 AM »
>"Then who would you believe?"

« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2018, 12:58:15 AM »
>"Then who would you believe?"

>"The guys you just shot at, for a start." says a woman to your right. "We here in Mayoiga don't take too kindly to folks shooting magic blasts at our police officers." A near universal chorus of agreement rings out from the crowd.
>If this is Semitur's doing, she really is clever. The local police, you know, are in fact held in high regard by the local populace. She may be using the locals pride in their cops against you. Small wonder she's gotten away with so much over the years, or that even someone like Razorclaw couldn't finish her.

« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2018, 01:02:44 AM »
>"Then why don't you go ask them yourselves? I imagine they'll be up on their feet again shortly, if they aren't already."

« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2018, 01:35:53 AM »
>"Then why don't you go ask them yourselves? I imagine they'll be up on their feet again shortly, if they aren't already."

>"And just let you walk around like you own the place?" the blonde man asks. "Not likely."
>This is getting nowhere. Kiku growls sharply. Cover your ears.

« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2018, 02:06:22 AM »
>Better to do as she says than question

« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2018, 04:42:33 PM »
>Better to do as she says than question

>Wait, you can't! Minoriko objects as you and Rin both follow Kiku's directions. You could damage their ears at this range!
>Would you rather we stay here and debate while Semitur gets away? Kiku asks harshly. I'm betting I can scare them off, influenced or not.
>Or you could just provoke them. And I don't think you want to hurt these people.
>Minoriko's observation appears to give the tiger some pause as she hesitates. Lotus? she asks, seeking your guidance.

« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2018, 06:08:43 PM »
>If we are to use any kind of force against them, my Amber Lotus should still suffice. I just... it felt wrong to fire upon people who had done nothing more hostile to us than block a corridor.

« Reply #130 on: March 13, 2018, 11:53:47 PM »
>If we are to use any kind of force against them, my Amber Lotus should still suffice. I just... it felt wrong to fire upon people who had done nothing more hostile to us than block a corridor.

>I do no enjoy the thought either. But it is sometimes necessary-
>"Stand back citizens!" an authoritative voice calls from beyond the crowd. "We'll take it from here!"
>The crowd parts to your right and your heart sinks at the sight of the Mayoiga police, now a force doubled in size by reinforcements, back on their feet, their weapons leveled in your direction. The front man of the group, a huge Oni, says, "You won't take us by surprise again, Lotus. Now surrender!"

« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2018, 11:58:29 PM »
>But we... we actually fixed Yuna, right? Not just stunned her temporarily? Are these the same police officers as earlier? Can we sense if they are brainwashed or just highly misinformed?
>Be ready with a barrier, but before taking any hostile action: "Are you aware that there is a demon on the loose inside this very airport?"

« Reply #132 on: March 14, 2018, 12:20:01 AM »
>But we... we actually fixed Yuna, right? Not just stunned her temporarily? Are these the same police officers as earlier? Can we sense if they are brainwashed or just highly misinformed?
>Be ready with a barrier, but before taking any hostile action: "Are you aware that there is a demon on the loose inside this very airport?"

>She certainly seems fixed.
>Five of them are the ones you shot earlier. The other five, including the brute of an Oni, are all new arrivals.
>The pervading sense of darkness has deepened over the room you are in. You sense the outrage of the people around you, you sense the magical auras from at least two of them. You sense the energy of the Blood males' Jewels, though they seem a bit farther away now. In fact you can sense a second Jewel somewhere in the room, but that sensation is very muted. You can sense auras of magic from three of the officers.
>You can hear the muttering the crowd around you, happy to see their officers, hoping to see the guilty ones brought down, furious at being betrayed. You can smell blood, hear liquid dripping into a shallow puddle. The sound of screaming is in your ears, making it hard to hear. And the cold, that numbing, soul-freezing cold, is still here, still drawing the life from your being the more you try to probe outwards. The comforting touch you felt from the Ice Champion is gone now. No one to help you. No way to sense the truth. Too many enemies. And that screaming, that crying...

>"No there isn't." another one of the officers refutes, a thin-looking woman with short blue hair and a scar under her left eye. "We'd have found some indication of that by now. Outside, yeah, but in here, no."

« Reply #133 on: March 14, 2018, 12:24:54 AM »
>No, there are people here to help us. Our friends, our allies, our lovers. If ever we doubt ourselves, we know we can lean on them.
>We don't really have a choice at this point, do we?

« Reply #134 on: March 14, 2018, 12:56:05 AM »
>No, there are people here to help us. Our friends, our allies, our lovers. If ever we doubt ourselves, we know we can lean on them.
>We don't really have a choice at this point, do we?

>Your friends... Will betray you...
>Despite the chaos and the doubt in your mind, you can't help but smile just a little. 'Lovers'. It still has a beautiful ring to it.
>I can't scare police officers like I can scare civilians. says Kiku. Not with my roar.

« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2018, 01:22:55 AM »
>No. I meant I think I'm going to have to shoot them again. All of them. This will only get worse the longer we stand here.
>How well do we think we could blanket the entire area with mind-control-cancelling? We do have people near us to drawn on, after all. Not just 'shoot a lot of beams', but actually just blanket the whole immediate area with it.

« Reply #136 on: March 14, 2018, 01:49:20 AM »
>No. I meant I think I'm going to have to shoot them again. All of them. This will only get worse the longer we stand here.
>How well do we think we could blanket the entire area with mind-control-cancelling? We do have people near us to drawn on, after all. Not just 'shoot a lot of beams', but actually just blanket the whole immediate area with it.

>There's almost 50 people around us, and nearly a dozen police officers. Are you sure you can affect that many? Kiku asks.
>Of course she can! Rin says instantly.

>Kiku's right, there's a lot of targets in your range. And more if you plan to include the civilians that aren't in your immediate vicinity. And you'll probably have to expend even more energy against the magic users, they probably have some level of resistance to this sort of magic. And even if you could pull this off, there's no guarantee Semitur can't just undo it again. She's done it once, why not again? In fact, you'll probably have to shoot the airport security officers again if and when they get back inside. If she could influence the regular cops twice, there's no reason to assume she couldn't do the same thing to the ones outside.
>Maybe she already has, in fact. You haven't heard from Reisen or Lily in a while. Maybe they've been captures already.
>And there's the fact that even if you were able to blast all these people at once and not drain yourself of energy in the process, which you have your doubts on, that still doesn't necessarily bring you any closer to finding Semitur. She's blended in this well so far, she could probably keep the act up after you shoot everyone.
>If it weren't so noisy in here, so cold... If you didn't have to worry about so many people, so many threats...

>"Look, ladies." the oni says. "I don't know what you've heard about the police in Mayoiga, but we're not unreasonable. Lay down your weapons and surrender, and we can clear this up at headquarters. You won't be harmed."

« Reply #137 on: March 14, 2018, 02:24:28 AM »
>No, no. No doubt. This is the aura's doing, but we can be stronger than it. With our companions at our side, we are stronger than it.
>"If we stand down now, people are going to die. That demon will make sure of it. I will gladly submit to whatever questioning you wish afterward, but it is imperative that we be allowed to continue our mission."
>Take Rin's hand. We may need her strength - and even if not - we need her warmth. Her presence. Her anchor to a self unafflicted by the darkness in the air.
>Kiku, if we were to take to the air instead and make a break for it, do you think you could wall off pursuit? ...in a way that wouldn't damage the airport?

« Reply #138 on: March 14, 2018, 08:37:09 PM »
>No, no. No doubt. This is the aura's doing, but we can be stronger than it. With our companions at our side, we are stronger than it.
>"If we stand down now, people are going to die. That demon will make sure of it. I will gladly submit to whatever questioning you wish afterward, but it is imperative that we be allowed to continue our mission."
>Take Rin's hand. We may need her strength - and even if not - we need her warmth. Her presence. Her anchor to a self unafflicted by the darkness in the air.

>"What do you think will happen if you don't?" the oni asks pointedly. "These blasters have more than just the stun setting, girl. I've had to shoot people in the line of duty before. I didn't like it then, and I won't like it now. None of my people do."
>As the hulking oni talks, you try once more to fend off the relentless pressure upon your mind. You'd almost rather be dealing with Satori again. At least then you knew you were doing good and that you could hold out against the evil opposing you. On the other hand, Rin wasn't able to be there with you at points during that encounter. But she is here now, and your hand finds hers as you weigh your options here, limited though they may be. Her presence alone always makes you feel better, and that sensation only strengthens with her touch.  You do worry for her, though. You have proven yourself capable of surviving things that might otherwise have killed a normal person, but staring down the barrel of nearly a dozen blaster rifles still isn't easy. What if those mundane weapons affect you- No, affect HER more than you'd expect. The thought of red blaster blots burning your Rin down... That would be a distracting though even if you didn't have other things on your mind right now.
>"Surrender." the big oni entreats again. "If what you say is true, you'll have a chance to prove it downtown. The Chief is real good at handling this stuff, maybe you could even talk to-"
>"She can talk to her now." a commanding voice rings out through the hall, and more than just your head turns to look at its source, a woman on the second floor of the room. Your first thought is that she really doesn't look like a police chief. She wears a rich purple dress underneath an elaborately trimmed white vest. Instead of any kind of normal police gear, a thin sword is belted at her right hip with a thick sculpt of a star or sun attached to its hilt. Her blonde pointy hair, styled almost like a set of animals' ears, is just slightly less outrageous than the thick purple high-collared cape draped over her shoulders. The thing is nearly floor-length and not at all practical, and to some it might promote an air of authority. To you, frankly, she just looks a bit ridiculous. Especially since she seems to be wearing earmuffs. The two women standing next to her, wearing white armored variants on the Mayoiga police uniform and carrying heavy blaster carbines, are much easier to take seriously. Unlike every other officer, however, these two are not pointing their weapons at you. Yet.
>"Magical Lotus." she calls down to you, magically amplifying her voice. "You claim that you have come to this airport to slay a demon?"

>Kiku, if we were to take to the air instead and make a break for it, do you think you could wall off pursuit? ...in a way that wouldn't damage the airport?

>Yes. Though I would have to change back to my humanoid form to do so. I would need cover.

« Reply #139 on: March 15, 2018, 05:17:29 AM »
>Understood. I'll let you know.

>"That's correct."

« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2018, 05:44:10 AM »
>Understood. I'll let you know.

>"That's correct."

>"You believe this demon is still inside this airport, and has not escaped?"

« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2018, 06:05:37 AM »
>"I do."

« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2018, 06:08:56 AM »
>"I do."

>"Do you know the name of this demon?"

« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2018, 07:47:13 AM »
>"Semitur."

« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2018, 08:21:42 PM »
>"Semitur."

>The cloaked woman nods slightly. "Semitur. We had hoped never to see that one in Mayoiga."
>"Chief! What are you doing?" the blue haired woman calls up to her. "We have the situation under control."
>"YOU are under control, and not just mine." the chief counters. "Otherwise you would remember that we had been warned of Semitur's presence here. How have you and your people escaped her power?" she asks you.

« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2018, 09:14:46 PM »
>"Collective strength of will. But I can feel the weight of her power all across the airport."

« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2018, 10:40:26 PM »
>"Collective strength of will. But I can feel the weight of her power all across the airport."

>"I hope you're not suggesting my officers lack will." the chief states more than asks. Her statement doesn't do much to improve the attitude of the civilians around you.

« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2018, 10:45:06 PM »
>"Of course not. But our power gives us magic resistance far beyond most people - and even so, I cannot deny I still feel her aura pressing down upon us. Time is of the essence here."

« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2018, 02:15:18 AM »
>"Of course not. But our power gives us magic resistance far beyond most people - and even so, I cannot deny I still feel her aura pressing down upon us. Time is of the essence here."

>"I concur. Do you know how far the range of her influence spreads?"

« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2018, 02:33:42 AM »
>If we can tell, give her an estimate