Author Topic: We're not in Kansas anymore -Test your world geography with GeoGuessr  (Read 4125 times)

MatsuriSakuragi

Okay so I happened to come across GeoGuessr earlier tonight and I've found myself playing it for a while so I figured I'd pass it on. I know it's probably old news, but I don't care.

Basically the game puts you anywhere on the street in the world and you have to travel around to figure out where you are. Once you have your guess, you have to pin it on the map and your score depends on how close you are. Keep an eye out for billboards and road signs, because they're probably the only hints you will get.

My current best score is 14662, and I was within 1000 km or so of every location.

So yeah post your scores and stuff here! No cheating by looking places up though, that's kinda lame. :V

EDIT: 15923.

I think it's hilarious that one of my locations was in Japan, but despite being a fairly small country it was my worst score because I guessed northern Japan when it was actually the southernmost, just south of South Korea. :v
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 01:55:06 AM by Guildmarm Matsuri »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: We're not in Kansas anymore -Test your world geography with GeoGuessr
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 02:31:06 AM »

Doesn't help that 4 of the 5 were in rural areas with almost no signs or traffic.

Also got Romania twice, thought it was Italy (The only town I got, the writing looked Italian!!), then England (random guess, there was no way to tell).

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 02:51:54 AM »
Yeah, I had to look for a very long time to find some in rural/forest areas.

That said, all roads lead to civilization eventually, so there's that at least.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 02:59:04 AM »
Yeah but it takes like three years to even get a hundred feet down the road, so after awhile I just just tend to say "Okay this place has trees, is it England? That has those, right?"

ROUND TWO:

1:Desert in the middle of nowhere. No cars, no road signs. Hmm, look an oil derrick over there, we'll guess Tejas! Oh hey it's Oklahoma!
2: Empty road with no cars, sighs, or buildings anywhere. Ferns and weird trees with right bark. Flat plains, some mountains. Surely this is Kenya! OH no, it's Australia. One point!
3: Dirt road in the middle of nowhere. Hmm, farmhouse with aluminum siding, reddish barn. No signs, no cars. Hmmm... Mailboxes are illegible but familiar shape. Fields are reasonably squarish. Ancient ass power lines... This must be the beating heart of Arkansas!  No, it is Quebec! But really they're the same damn thing.
4. Dirt road in the middle of nowhere. Brown scrubby plants, reasonably thick.  Some notable hills, green trees in the background. No buildings, no signs, no cars, no shoulders on the road, just roads. This must be Utah!  No, it's the very southern tip of South Africa, somewhere around Cape Town.
5. OH SHIT A TOWN! A...tiny little one horse town with no road lines, fewer buildings than I have digits. Green communal postboxes, green recycling bins...weird strip style license plates. No signs anywhere. Is this the UK? No! It's the northernmost end of Norway!

6178 points
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 03:18:31 AM by Sivrup »

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 03:01:54 AM »
11152, totally destroyed by round 5.  Guessed Spain...it was Brazil.  Like 34 points or something whoops.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 03:22:26 AM »
11549. The South Africa one kinda screwed me.

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 03:23:29 AM »
Yeah but it takes like three years to even get a hundred feet down the road
Did you try clicking on the road? It's faster than hitting the arrow button.

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 05:25:46 AM »
I failed miserably with the world map.
But the US map I totally got a good score on holy crap. (Guess it paid off to memorize US ZIP codes, area codes and state license plates (even when they're blurry.)

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 06:08:04 AM »

Aw hell yeah.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 08:33:25 AM »
This game looks effing awsome. Im addicted and I havent even tried it yet.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 12:18:44 PM »
Got 16482, but I suck at this. Every time I see something that looks Russian I guess Moscow and it's like within 100km. Everything else is crappa. Oh, that French? It's Espanyol. Let's not talk about that one time I thought Central Argentina is Eastern Europe.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 05:44:45 PM »
My first attempt is not worth mentioning, but the second resulted in a score of 18-something thousand. I'm going to improve on that. Meanwhile, two extremes from the same game. First: after literally a few steps I find two signs showing the way to Nantes and Rennes. Easy guess within a few dozen km. Second: the imagery is so blurry deciphering any sign is literally impossible. According to my earlier experience with Street View, this kind of blurry imagery is only present in Australia, New Zealand and the US. Fat chance for an accurate guess, especially for an European.
Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 06:56:31 PM »
https://www.geoguessr.com/results/NmcyawrM8U5sDpyf

24123 points

It's pretty easy if you can find some road signs and just google up where they are. Go the last one by googling a company name of a sign I found down the highway.

The american locations stand out in particular because  the roadsigns are very distinct and  the roads are always paved.

Got sweden twice, easy to tell when you get around there because all their signs are yellow with red lines
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 08:55:19 PM »
https://www.geoguessr.com/results/NmcyawrM8U5sDpyf

24123 points

It's pretty easy if you can find some road signs and just google up where they are. Go the last one by googling a company name of a sign I found down the highway.

So yeah post your scores and stuff here! No cheating by looking places up though, that's kinda lame. :V

:V

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 09:03:43 PM »
Ah, got me there I guess ^^;;

I had a game where I didn't look things up the night before, around the 14,000 mark. Pretty much same as the others, for four or so pretty close and one in the next continent, it was annoying.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia