Author Topic: MAGFest 13 - RIP students  (Read 47960 times)

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
MAGFest 13 - RIP students
« on: October 24, 2014, 01:33:17 PM »
http://magfest.org/ (RIP students, dat date)

So who's going to the upcoming MAGfest? I might be going again if my work allows it (which will most likely let me), but I'm wondering who else is going.

Last year was my first time going and I had a blast, mostly because of the vast amount of rhythm games they had there that I stuck around for most of it with the FFR crew. I mean I'd recommend trying them out, especially Sound Voltex because of the vast amount of Touhou arranges in that game.

I remember meeting a couple people from here. I found it funny how last year everyone thought I was the Koishi cosplayer but I was just a dude in regular clothes :V Hopefully will know this time since I'll still be in regular clothes again. And I'll most likely be around the rhythm games again, as well as adding my stepmania touhou/vocaloid packs into the ITG2 machines.

But yeah, who's going?

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
Re: MAGFest 13 - RIP students
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 04:31:31 PM »
I'll be there for all of the days!

KATAMARI GET HYPE

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 04:38:45 PM »
I understand a decent portion of the NEMA Touhou crew will be there.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

yuyukos

• ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give Techies
  • ༼ つ ◕◡◕ ༽つ Techies were given.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 04:52:03 PM »
triangles tried to convince me to go but that timing ;_;.
TF2Items | TF2B | Steam | Twitter
3DS FC - 2165-6416-7852

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 05:21:07 PM »
Yesyesyes. Gogogo. 3months3months3months.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 08:55:24 PM »
I've already confirmed my ticket and whatnot, and was a bit bitter about missing last year (though I went the year before, and it was indeed an absolute blast). See you all there!
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 09:58:45 PM »
If I do only one con in a year, it's this one.  I really ought to buy my ticket, speaking of.

Not sure who I'll be with this time since my usual companions' lives are a little all over the place, but I will be there SOMEHOW.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 10:14:50 PM »
triangles tried to convince me to go but that timing ;_;.
COME ANYWAY
YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO

I am going to be ~that guy~ at the con playing sets in the hallways with my sister + other assorted folk at points, already started practicing some of the tunez
Spoiler:
Mother/Earthbound medley aaaaa
I absolutely can't wait (well maybe I can wait until I learn/arrange all my music  :V)

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 11:39:27 PM »
I'm going, this will be my first one actually!  Mostly excited for Machinae Supremacy but I'll probably spend all my time with the Bemani games and drinking lol.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 11:41:34 PM »
I'll probably spend all my time with the Bemani games
I will definitely see you then :V all of the Sound Voltex.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 12:45:38 AM »
I will definitely see you then :V all of the Sound Voltex.
Rad, I've been playing a lot of SDVX at my friend's house but still don't have the cash I need for my own.  If there's a PJD AC cab I'll probably just die and then my ghost will play it all weekend

Jq1790

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 05:33:12 AM »
Rad, I've been playing a lot of SDVX at my friend's house but still don't have the cash I need for my own.  If there's a PJD AC cab I'll probably just die and then my ghost will play it all weekend
Well, it wasn't an AC version, but last year they DID have the PS3 version going with one of the fancy PJD controllers, so who knows?

Reddyne

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 01:04:21 PM »
Are people doing OK for rooms? While I can't promise anything, the #conmeido brigade and associated parties may have a surplus. Everything is taken at the Gaylord, so it'll come down to local hotels (luckily there's a bunch) if need be.

As someone who's not a metalhead, is there a musical guest I should be excited about? All the guests so far seem to be geared towards the headbanging crowd.

Edible

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 01:06:51 PM »
Are people doing OK for rooms? While I can't promise anything, the #conmeido brigade and associated parties may have a surplus. Everything is taken at the Gaylord, so it'll come down to local hotels (luckily there's a bunch) if need be.

As someone who's not a metalhead, is there a musical guest I should be excited about? All the guests so far seem to be geared towards the headbanging crowd.

The vast majority of the music is video game-related, so you're going to see a lot of chiptunes, orchestral covers, etc.  There is something for everyone.

Oh, and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMH49ieL4es

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 02:31:29 PM »
The vast majority of the music is video game-related, so you're going to see a lot of chiptunes, orchestral covers, etc.  There is something for everyone.

My boy Kommisar will most likely be doing a set in Chipspace once again, or at least he'll do something during open mic. You can even request him to do some of his Touhou arranges as well if you guys want during the open mic :V

triangles

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 02:51:07 PM »
Triforce (string) Quartet is coming back and they were phenomenal.  My personal favorite group from last year was a jazz band but I don't know their status yet.  They have 2 stages for concerts going simultaneously in addition to the equivalent of open mic karaoke for bands/groups (this was really out of the way though) and a small DJ/chiptunes/etc space.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 05:26:03 PM »
Well, it wasn't an AC version, but last year they DID have the PS3 version going with one of the fancy PJD controllers, so who knows?
I've got one of those at home, and it's pretty cool.  The thing is that PJD AC plays VERY differently from PJD CS, and since they have cabinets at Round 1 I'm just hoping...

Jq1790

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 09:15:25 PM »
I've got one of those at home, and it's pretty cool.  The thing is that PJD AC plays VERY differently from PJD CS, and since they have cabinets at Round 1 I'm just hoping...
Ah, I saw pics of yours once.  It was a Rin/Len themed one, yes?

Staying on topic-ish:  I do hope they have the AC version since I never did get around to playing it when I was in Japan earlier this year.

I wonder if I'll actually go to more than like one panel or if I'll basically live in the videogame room/dealers' room/artists' alley again like at almot every con ever for me.  (Of course at MAGFest I also go to concerts, but that's a given since it's MAGFest, right?)

Soul Devour

• A Casual Touhou Fan
  • Drifting along, one day at a time
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 09:36:01 PM »
I have a room for Friday and Saturday night, so I'll be there until Sunday. We'll see about Monday, it's kind of an odd day.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 02:36:32 AM »
Ah, I saw pics of yours once.  It was a Rin/Len themed one, yes?

Staying on topic-ish:  I do hope they have the AC version since I never did get around to playing it when I was in Japan earlier this year.
Nah, I bought the official HORI one, so it's just a generic Miku theme.  I'd love to have built my own, but with the introduction of star notes (those bastards), I'm glad I didn't.

Yeah, I still really want to play Future Tone.  I know it didn't add that much to gameplay, but dammit it's different!

Reddyne

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 11:32:28 PM »
For anyone who may have been interested, the Touhou Project panel was not accepted. We had full confidence that the actual application was the best we could swing, but I wager that since we'd be new there, the panel is long, we'd need a primo timeslot to make sure all of the panelists were available, etc., it wasn't accepted.

Also a couple of friends won't be bringing their full array of rigs with every last mutually shared legal copy of Touhou and miscellaneous other games we could stuff in them. Instead, this year is being used to size up MAGFest since it's a straight-up gaming and music con and they'd like to see how things operate so they can fit in next year.

Else get hype. My Lon'qu from Pennsylvania outfit is almost done and I can't wait to see y'all anyway.

Edible

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2014, 11:18:53 AM »
Aw, nuts.

Jq1790

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 07:39:02 PM »
Should be fuuuun.  Finally getting a group of three friends along with myself able to go when we have not been able to meet as a quartet yet(three of us lived in NJ, 2 still do while I'm in PA, and one of em lives in TN), so I'm excited.

I need to try not to be too awkward to say hi to any MotKers who I come across along the way though as well, ehe.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2014, 07:58:58 PM »
Should be fuuuun.  Finally getting a group of three friends along with myself able to go when we have not been able to meet as a quartet yet(three of us lived in NJ, 2 still do while I'm in PA, and one of em lives in TN), so I'm excited.

I need to try not to be too awkward to say hi to any MotKers who I come across along the way though as well, ehe.
You missed us at MikuExpo so you better show up this time

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2014, 08:06:57 PM »
Ah, the news of the panel is rather unfortunate, but otherwise...aaaaa, the anticipation!

Now to see if I can prepare a quick and improvised cosplay in time for this....
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

triangles

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2014, 08:24:53 PM »
HYPE HYPE HYPE

MJP found out that there is an 80s themed ~MAGProm~ happening welp.

Reddyne

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2014, 08:38:22 PM »
HYPE HYPE HYPE

MJP found out that there is an 80s themed ~MAGProm~ happening welp.
Oh man this makes me really tempted to bring SHIIIIIIIIIIIIN even if his only videogame relevance is having a suicide 1HKO in a PS2 fighting game, but
Spoiler:
I'm just going to wind up with the guys again, aren't I?

triangles

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2014, 08:48:11 PM »
my sister: "I hope it's better than my actual prom"
me: "well if it sucks you can leave and go play Mario Kart or something so yes"

ALSO did everyone register already?  My crew wanted to add a few people to our group registration but you have to add at least 5 at a time and I'm not sure we're going to hit that and the price goes up on Wednesday.  I didn't want to deal with herding a zillion cats but we might need to wrangle up some people mighty fast.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:51:54 PM by triangels we have heard on high »

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2014, 09:45:03 PM »
HEY TRIANGLES

I KNOW THIS IS KINDA SUDDEN AND STUFF AND WE ONLY LIKE TALKED IN CLASS A FEW TIMES AND THINGS BUT I WAS WONDERING, IF YOU'RE NOT GOING WITH ANYONE

WILL YOU GO TO THE MAGFEST PROM WITH ME?

Reddyne

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2014, 02:37:56 PM »

Oh, and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMH49ieL4es
I started looking at bands and such when my primary work module/software/website thing decided to crash with IT on vacation. There's like 12 that sound fantastic. This is like the opposite of an anime con.
You missed us at MikuExpo so you better show up this time
Were you the one who missed nearly everyone at AWA '13? Seriously I forget it's been awhile.
In general, the group is pretty mellow and no one will bite your head off. We also have the tendency of simply recruiting stray people for no other reason other than because we can, so you might fit in perfectly without even trying. This only gets troublesome when we bring 60 people to Edo Sushi at Otakon.
my sister: "I hope it's better than my actual prom"
me: "well if it sucks you can leave and go play Mario Kart or something so yes"
This was like everyone's prom. It can also be extrapolated to some people's entire high school experience. :[
ALSO did everyone register already?  My crew wanted to add a few people to our group registration but you have to add at least 5 at a time and I'm not sure we're going to hit that and the price goes up on Wednesday.  I didn't want to deal with herding a zillion cats but we might need to wrangle up some people mighty fast.
I can pester a mutual friend to see if he can get a couple other people involved.