Author Topic: Hardware performance survey for Danmaku in Unreal Engine 4.  (Read 3213 times)

If Touhou fans want to make a danmaku games, They remind to Touhou Danmakufu.
We know, some games made in Touhou Danmakufu are great.

However, there are other games engine those can make danmaku games.

Unreal Engine 4 is the powerful game engine. Its node base scripting is extremely flexible and easy to learn. Even me, who does not has experience on coding can understand how it works.

Visit official site of Unreal Engine here.
https://www.unrealengine.com/

To test a performance, I have already uploaded a demonstration video here. You can see more information.
https://youtu.be/8ldquFoCVhk

Download a game here
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q98nmarfxaf33aj/AAD8YKRchnSXPGdoWGBiynLqa?dl=0

Performance is very important. Even a game has a high quality graphic and advance features. But if a game can not run smoothly at enough frame rate, players can not have fun with that game.
Computers and graphic cards of each players are different. So, I want to know which hardware Danmaku players use.

I sent a previous version of this game to LunarEthic before. After that, I edit some details in this game. For now, I think I am ready to announce this project to a community.

This is a main menu and my dummy player. I have not placed actual Reimu or Marisa or any jet fighters yet.
Press f to show a performance status.
A screen resolution of this game is 640x480 and 1280x960.
Press number on a top of keyboard to load level. Not a number key on a numpad.

Level 1 is for a performance test. Bullets are spawned rapidly. Bullets in this level do not have a life span. They are exist on the level even they move out from the screen.

An information I want to know are
- Bullets count when frame rate drop to 50 fps. (For both of 640x480 and 1280x960 screen resolution.)
- Bullets count when frame rate drop to 20 fps. (For both of 640x480 and 1280x960 screen resolution.)
- Your hardware spec. CPU, operation system, and a graphic card.

I did not packed a game as one package file. If you have Unreal Engine 4 Editor, you can explore all assets in this game.

I still keep some print string. I use them for debug.

Other levels are a showcase. I also want to test some methods to assign several movement behaviour to objects.

You can see them in this video. I recorded this video while I was playing at 640x480 screen resolution to get a better frame rate.
https://youtu.be/-Xkwlhhd1Gk

There are many games developers community. But I want to specific on Danmaku players. Hardcore gamers may have a high performance graphic cards. But I am not sure "Do danmaku players have a high-end graphic card ?"
Shrine maiden forum is a community of Touhou fans and danmaku players. So I post on this forum.

Known issues

- 2D sprites do not express a correct colour.

- Player must click mouse once. Before player can move cursor out of the game window.

- When player change a screen resolution (execute console command "r setRes 1280x960" or "r setRes 640x480"). A game window change a position.

- A screen is squash in full screen. It only happen when use full screen mode by executing console command. If toggle full screen by Alt+Enter, It keep an actual aspect ratio.

- Unreal Engine 4 require Visual C++ 2015. Windows 7 may missed some update to compatible with Visual C++2015. Windows 8 or 10 do not have this problem.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 05:23:36 PM by skydash »

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
Re: Hardware performance survey for Danmaku in Unreal Engine 4.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 01:50:16 AM »
This is interesting. All I really know about Unreal Engine is that it's built for 3D stuff and the graphics look like something a monstrous computer can only handle.

Unless UE4 somehow manages to optimize everything about that so that it can run on even integrated graphics.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear