Author Topic: First time attending Reitaisai, any advice?  (Read 11503 times)

First time attending Reitaisai, any advice?
« on: April 17, 2019, 06:33:02 PM »
I've wanted to go for a long time but I've only managed to actually make it happen for Reitaisai 16. I was looking into the event and figured it would be best to post a thread like this, I've seen allot of people here post about going so I figured it would be a good place to ask for general advice.

From what I understand you buy the catalog and that gets you in? I assume this means I would buy 2 catalogs for 2 people attending the event, my first question would just be is this correct. Other than that my only other big question would be how much earlier than the event start should I try and line up for? Of course since it's my first time I'm open to any advice at all realy.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
Re: First time attending Reitaisai, any advice?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 12:56:51 AM »
Yes, the catalog counts as an entry ticket so you need one per attendee.

Make sure you bring enough bags or be ready to buy some. Asking for signatures are OK but generally later in the event when crowds have thinned out somewhat. It probably won't be a huge concern since Reitaisai isn't as big as Comiket but they'll cut up longer lines into sections so what looks like the tail end will only be for that one chunk. Look for signs that say 最後尾 which shows where to line up.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 11:01:30 AM »
Other than that my only other big question would be how much earlier than the event start should I try and line up for? Of course since it's my first time I'm open to any advice at all realy.
As there is a trial release of Touhou, I assume there will be more crowed. People line up as early as 6 in the morning. I remember when I was regular visitor, I lined up at 8:00 and was outside and downstairs before the Big Site. Depends on what your goal is. Lining up between 7 or 8 in the morning is cool. Earlier if you're going for the popular circles and want to spend your time more effectively.

Other than that, some basic advice:
- Bring along a cap or something to cover your head. On a sunny day, if you're lined up outside, it can be dangerous to stay in the sun exposed for longer periods.
- Bring along bottle of water ( 1 litre at least )
- Bring some basic snacks along to keep your energy levels high. Like fruit, onigiri and such. Buy them the day before.

Also remember to have fun. Don't worry too much about the whole thing. Like Forza said, it isn't comiket so there is crowed but it isn't crazy and annoying.

Edit
Here is a map of all the circles and their spaces.
http://www.green.dti.ne.jp/maisan/
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 12:04:47 PM by Helepolis »

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 02:26:51 PM »
Thanks a ton for the advice, I feel like you managed to read my mind a little since questions I forgot to ask were also answered (autographs specificity). I was honestly a little overwhelmed at first but this helps allot.

I was initially going to line up around 8 but I think I'll shoot for an earlier time, my younger brother is coming along with me so I think even with a long list including some popular circles I should be able to get everything. Especially since I have that map now.

Anyways, thanks a tone you guys!  :D

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 02:38:40 PM »
Unless you're lining up for ZUN and maybe Akatsuki Records or Shinrabansho, you probably don't need to show up that early if you're worried about stuff selling out. As long as you can hit up your top-priority circles in the first couple of hours after it opens, you should be fine.

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 12:17:55 AM »
Unless you're lining up for ZUN and maybe Akatsuki Records or Shinrabansho, you probably don't need to show up that early if you're worried about stuff selling out. As long as you can hit up your top-priority circles in the first couple of hours after it opens, you should be fine.

Ohh, I see. Yeah I think 8 or a little later should be good in that case, it'll be hard to get my brother up that early in the first place I think... I also want to let you know that whenever I end up attending an event again I'd like to help with the orders you receive from people on the forum.

CenturyEgg

• Gentle older sister types are the best!
    • My world cosplay account
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 07:33:05 AM »
A little late to the chat but yeah have fun!

Other stuff you might want to take note is rules regarding photography if you intend to grab photos for memories. If you are carrying a larger camera like a DSLR you need to apply for some kind of registration on site if I recall correctly. Generally photography is allowed in certain areas only but you should be able to snap a quick shot in the hall as long as you do not obstruct the flow of human traffic.

In the event you do miss out on releases from popular circles, there is a chance you may be able to pick up copies of their releases at Melonbooks, Tora no ana etc the next day so keep the next day free for shopping if you really really must have a certain release. This unfortunately only applies to some of the more well known circles though.