Author Topic: ZUN and Touhou status update  (Read 412756 times)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Re: ZUN and Touhou status updates: Touhou 13.5 completion in sight
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2013, 01:39:04 AM »
For some reason, the needle mountain is the most mentioned feature of hell. It's referenced by Remilia's spell card, Orin's spell card, and most recently FS Chapter 1. I can't imagine how it can be rendered in a game.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2013, 03:54:59 AM »
Now that Hopeless Masquerade is almost finished with development, it's about time they give us new info.  Let's hope they don't plan to hide everything until it is released...

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2013, 06:36:06 AM »
I doubt it had anything to do with the actual making of the game, just the planning. Like what moves each character should have, what stages they should make, and similar details.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2013, 09:43:43 AM »
Let's hope they don't plan to hide everything until it is released...
Have you ever seen a Touhou game where the final boss or stage 4+ got spoiled before it got released?

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2013, 04:03:51 PM »
Have you ever seen a Touhou game where the final boss or stage 4+ got spoiled before it got released?
13.5 is a fighting game, so I can't really see it not letting you know a single thing, especially characters, in the game until release.  But then, I don't know how things were for the previous fighting games when they were still in production...

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2013, 04:06:09 PM »
... But we already know some of the characters?

I don't get your confusion here.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #96 on: March 16, 2013, 04:17:55 PM »
... But we already know some of the characters?

I don't get your confusion here.
Sorry for not making myself clear... 

We only know three at the moment.  Suppose that this game has about 20 characters, I think it's a bad marketing strategy if they keep the other 17 or so characters a complete secret until the release of the game.  Imagine Super Smash Bros. 4 being announced with only Mario, Pikachu, Link, and Kirby, and then there are absolutely no news about this game until it got released, like, a year or two later, and that's when we find out the other 40+ characters in the game...

Since the mainstream shooters are pretty short, it's understandable that ZUN keeps most of the game a secret until release, as he can't reveal too much without spoiling the game.  For a fighting game, the roster is what attracts people the most.  They can easily show most of the characters in the game and keep three or four of them a secret until release.  That way, they can keep people hyped, give them something to talk about and look forward to, and not make them forget about the game's existence.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 04:53:21 AM by game2011 »

« Reply #97 on: March 16, 2013, 04:54:23 PM »
If I remember correctly a second HM demo will be released before the full game.  Probably also to have some community feedback on the new combat system since they're apparently taking the whole stun thing out. 

I suppose that we'll see at least one new face at the next demo, but I don't think important information like part of the roster will simply "leak out" without any releases.

You made me thoughtful on the size of it though, it'd be lovely if we had 20ish characters on it!  Wonder how big it's gonna get.   

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2013, 04:59:38 PM »
The problem with fan games and ones made by unofficial companies is that they tend to have very little info before release.  As far as I'm concerned, there are no leaks or rumors for them at all, too.  In official games, rumors and leaks happen often, and even a long time before they get released.  Even if they're false, they at least provide good discussions and such.

Palewolf

• バカ狼ですよ
« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2013, 05:52:51 PM »
I would say around 10 characters is most likely.

Tengukami

« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2013, 06:39:34 PM »
Yeah, I'm sorry game2011, but I really don't get your complaint. I'm not sure how Tasofro is doing anyone a disservice by not revealing the entire cast right now. People are going to get the game anyway, and the element of surprise is kinda a big part of the fun.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2013, 08:37:25 PM »
Again I repeat myself game2011, Have you ever seen a touhou game released until now with the entire cast being spoiled?

I have to highly assume that you are extremely curious who from the Taoist household is going to be in the fighting game, since like Tengukami said, I neither get your posts. ZUN has been doing this like for ever. Tasofro included, Hisou didn't spoil much either when the demo came out. Why complain now?

Unofficial company / fan games? Yo, Tasofro is anything but unofficial company. I am sure they are heavily involved with ZUN (unless you are talking in general). Also, maybe ZUN is just awesome at not leaking? And maybe Tasofro respects the word of ZUN in doing the same?

Learn to have patience, like thousands of other fans around the globe? Just saying.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 08:41:29 PM by Helepolis »

cuc

« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2013, 11:34:15 PM »
For fighting games, all non-boss characters were revealed gradually... during the run-up to release.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 07:19:34 AM by cuc »

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2013, 01:54:01 AM »
Tasofro has been known to be tight-lipped when it fancies them. New Super Marisa Land was briefly hinted at once, and it was the week before the Comiket when it was released.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

cuc

« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2013, 04:58:11 AM »
For its 8th anniversary, the next issue of Comp Ace magazine will come with a clock as present. The clock face artwork is exchangeable, with the Forbidden Scrollery Vol. 1 cover art (see my post above) being one option (scroll down to see FS).
http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/fair/201303-03/

Also from that page comes this image (click to enlarge):

Both the next issue of Comp Ace and Forbidden Scrollery Vol. 1 will be released on March 26.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 07:20:58 AM by cuc »

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2013, 08:12:39 AM »
Again I repeat myself game2011, Have you ever seen a touhou game released until now with the entire cast being spoiled?
The only Touhou game I waited for the release of is 13, as I didn't expect 12.5 and 12.8 to have much or new characters, and I wasn't interested in those two either.  I may not know about the series until after 12.3 was released, but I can tell that the contents of the mainstream games were unknown until their releases.  I have no idea how the fighting games were before they were released, so can you blame me for this?  If it is Touhou 14 that is getting released, then I won't complain about the lack of info, as that is to be expected.  This is the first time I'm waiting for the release of a Touhou fighting game, so unless I already know how things were for the previous ones, I wouldn't be complaining or be impatient.

Unofficial company / fan games? Yo, Tasofro is anything but unofficial company. I am sure they are heavily involved with ZUN (unless you are talking in general). Also, maybe ZUN is just awesome at not leaking? And maybe Tasofro respects the word of ZUN in doing the same?
By official, I mean video game companies that make presences at game conferences like E3, Tokyo Game Show, etc., not to mention getting interviewed by video game editors and appearing on game-related news.

For fighting games, all non-boss characters were revealed gradually... during the run-up to release.
That's good to know!  Someone said this before, but it's nice to get a confirmation!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:41:41 AM by game2011 »

Drake

« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2013, 08:32:26 AM »
If you didn't know how Tasofro worked up to their releases and want to blame it on not being there for the release of other games, then why say things like "it's about time they give us new info", "let's hope they don't plan to hide everything until it is released", "13.5 is a fighting game, so I can't really see it not letting you know a single thing, especially characters, in the game until release", "the problem with fan games and ones made by unofficial companies is that..."

I mean, it isn't a big deal, if you didn't know how the releases have usually gone we'd just tell you, but you don't get to do this spiel and then go "well sorry I didn't know". Doesn't it make more sense to not complain or be impatient if you don't know how it goes?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Tengukami

« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2013, 08:43:23 AM »
There's a certain sense of entitlement that seems to accompany the lead-up to the release of any Touhou game: not wishes but straight-up demands for certain characters to appear, stuff like "this one BETTER be a regular shmup without some cheap gimmick", and so on. This is probably the first time I've seen someone complaining that the roster of a fighting game hasn't been revealed fast enough. Made even weirder by the fact that game2011 didn't even know how Tasofro does releases.

The entitlement behavior is pretty crappy, coming as it usually does from people who won't spend any money on the games anyway (not that actually buying them validates entitlement or anything), but in this case I don't even see the harm in the thing being complained about. Even if you don't find out the cast until the day of the release, so what?

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2013, 10:26:58 AM »
I apologize for being impatient and complaining...

However, I still do not like the idea of withholding, like, 90% of the content from the public and saving almost everything for the release.  It makes people lose hype eventually.  I have a friend who basically can't get hyped for this game because of the lack of solid info, even after I told him that it's near completion.

Anyway, cuc saying that they will release info on all the non-boss characters makes me feel better already.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:54:34 AM by game2011 »

Kosachi

• Te-Te-Te-Te-Tenko
  • Hinanai Tenko~
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2013, 11:30:14 AM »
I would disagree with you when saying that it makes you lose hype. Not knowing almost anything leaves more avenues for guessing and speculation which only make you want the game more to see if you're right. That's how it is for me anyways. I would also assume it's like that for quite a few other people because then game developers would be reavealing just about everything leading up to game release.
I finally got ahead!

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2013, 12:11:19 PM »
It really depends on how far away the release date, I think.  If the game is still a long way to be released, then it's quite natural for there to be lack of info, as the developers have not set in stone on what they want to show yet.  However, for a game that is going to be released a few months later but having so little info on it can make waits more grueling.  You know it's going to be released soon, and you can't wait, so it's a good idea for the company to feed the public with information to keep them hyped and give them something to enjoy in the meantime.  This is an issue with Pokemon X/Y.  With it being released this October, very little info has been released since its announcement, but at least we are promised new info next month, so that is something to look forward to.  Tasofro can at least say something like "new character will be announced next week or month" to build hype rather than remaining absolutely silent.

cuc

« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2013, 01:14:40 PM »
ZUN has his hands on a sample book now (click to enlarge).

I forgot to mention, but Forbidden Scrollery Vol. 1 will contain some new manga story written by ZUN.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 02:37:32 PM by cuc »

Yatakarasu

• Always failing, sometimes winning!
  • Fail mode activate!
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2013, 01:44:16 PM »
@game2011: That's kinda how the game industry works. They don't want to release everything about their game even up to release, because they kinda want you to buy it. This is for both the good and the bad. I'm sure ZUN knows that the Touhou fanbase is patient to wait for a game to come out with just a demo to tide them over in the meantime. I mean, it's not like he hasn't given us any information what so ever.

Normal Clears: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Hard Clears: PoFV, SA, TD, DDC
Extra Clears: PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Current touhou goal: Improve! ...1cc more Hard Modes

cuc

« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2013, 01:58:22 PM »
One difference is that ZUN and Tasofro are doujin creators. They don't have a PR department, or anything comparable to the industry's PR budget at all. They don't send out press releases. They don't buy press coverage.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 02:36:55 PM by cuc »

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2013, 02:26:05 PM »
BTW, I got the idea of what to say from users in a topic about withholding info I started on GameFaqs.  Got someone mad and thus mentioned this because I thought that since I didn't post things word-by-word, it would be all right if I didn't cite...

I'm sorry for trying to pass off someone else words as mines...  Please forgive me...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 02:34:20 PM by game2011 »

Tengukami

« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2013, 03:13:29 PM »
However, I still do not like the idea of withholding, like, 90% of the content from the public and saving almost everything for the release.  It makes people lose hype eventually.  I have a friend who basically can't get hyped for this game because of the lack of solid info, even after I told him that it's near completion.

You and your friend would be the first two people I've ever seen make this complaint about an upcoming Touhou game.

On the other hand, this thread isn't about you and your complaints with ZUN and we should probably let this drop.

cuc

Re: ZUN and Touhou status updates: March 18 is ZUN's birthday
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2013, 12:51:45 AM »
I doubt it had anything to do with the actual making of the game, just the planning. Like what moves each character should have, what stages they should make, and similar details.
From what I saw on their twitters, the basic planning should have ended a long time ago, and those meetings are for making adjustments. While the overall direction of the fighting games are all Tasofro's, ZUN does have an input in the fighting games' design. For example, this is a tweet from Unabara (designer and leader of Tasofro):
The effects of 100% popularity state still don't have enough punch. Had an all-night talk with Kannushi [about it], resulting in many ideas.

==================

It's already March 18 in Japan.

Quote from: ZUN's twitter
Oops, I've become another year older.

Till now, I've been making Touhou for almost as long as the time before that...

Thanks for your congratulation messages. Next year I'll still be living my life and drinking.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 03:23:32 AM by cuc »

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
Re: ZUN and Touhou status updates: March 18 is ZUN's birthday
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2013, 01:15:37 AM »
I thought the clock faces looked pretty neat, debating about trying to pick up one of those somehow...

Always thought that ZUN's birthday was in May.

Re: ZUN and Touhou status updates: Touhou 14 this summer
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2013, 08:42:09 PM »
This is not a ZUN update, or even a Touhou update; it's about the general state of the industry.

It's the hottest topic on Japanese internet at the moment: if Japan joins Trans-Pacific Partnership, it could have a great impact on Japan's copyright legislation, and consequently, a devastating effect on the doujin world. Be sure to read the article linked below.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-10-31/negima-akamatsu-warns-against-changing-japan-copyright-law
With ACTA 2...
Pastafarianism? Discordianism? Personally I'd like to see the next Touhou based on the Church of Scientology...
...and religious confrontations in mind:

Touhou based on intellectual property issues and Missionary Church of Kopimism.

Anon

• Some Nobody
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2013, 01:55:21 AM »
But then, I don't know how things were for the previous fighting games when they were still in production...

That's a funny thing actually. Back when SWR was in development, Tasofro was tight-lipped as usual. But as it drew closer to the release date, they did indeed begin releasing which characters were going to appear one by one (under the characters section of the site).  Of course, that was most likely because most of the characters in SWR were returnees from IaMP (with the exception of Reisen and Komachi who were newcomers and Aya who was also new but was revealed already in the demo). The only surprises when it came out were Tenshi and Iku.

Of course. That's not to say that the same thing will happen to HM. After all, it's a brand new engine, which will likely feature a different set of characters. Tasofro will most likely keep things a surprise until release.