Author Topic: 東方Project 第14弾の情報です - Double Dealing Character  (Read 264583 times)

Kosachi

• Te-Te-Te-Te-Tenko
  • Hinanai Tenko~
Re: 東方Project 第14弾の情報です - Double Dealing Character
« Reply #420 on: May 17, 2013, 09:15:20 AM »
But anyways I can't say I necessarily have any complaints that it will be more plain in mechanics much like MoF (as per mention on the wiki). In  a way it does help me focus more on the bullets and less on the unique mechanics but sometimes that mechanic makes it more fun. I liked the graze factor of SA yet loathed but found the UFO mechanic intriguing (sorry Drake)
I couldn't agree more. My biggest complaints with UFO and TD is that theres a chance (higher later on) that you lose a life trying to get a life. (I'm bad, I know) Just being able to focus on the game and gaining life through the points items that fall towards you or by scoring is the least rage inducing for me.
I finally got ahead!

Mayson

• The future... A new age!
« Reply #421 on: May 17, 2013, 09:47:01 AM »
Your master plan to return it fully on topic.

But anyways I can't say I necessarily have any complaints that it will be more plain in mechanics much like MoF (as per mention on the wiki). In  a way it does help me focus more on the bullets and less on the unique mechanics but sometimes that mechanic makes it more fun. I liked the graze factor of SA yet loathed but found the UFO mechanic intriguing (sorry Drake).

Demo comes out in what, 9 days? Not that I know when I'd be playing the demo around that period if at all.
Actually a return of SAs grazing system would be welcome. It was simple enough, but somewhat more intriguing than MoF. And MoF was a little too hectic with the score bonus getting reduced the moment you wouldn't gather pickups or shoot fairies. That had a greatly demotivating effect on me.

Just another speculation - Maybe we see a return of different "attributes" for characters - such as Reimus smaller cheat hitbox or increased speed for Marisa. After all that would be retro, too. Up to Touhou 9 all characters had different attributes, in PCB they even had different default bombs per life.

You haven't said anything for me to bark at yet. If I say "fight me" you don't just say "ok then fight me".
Then I'll poke a little. UFO felt more restricting and had you pinned more at the bottom of the screem because moving would often mean collecting the wrong UFO. And then there is the absence of yellow UFOs, which is unforgivable! :getdown:

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #422 on: May 17, 2013, 04:16:45 PM »
And then there is the absence of yellow UFOs, which is unforgivable! :getdown:

And what are they supposed to drop? Graze?

Maybe we see a return of different "attributes" for characters - such as Reimus smaller cheat hitbox or increased speed for Marisa.

I think those things never really went anywhere.

On another note, I'm a bit worried about one thing, but we won't see it in demo anyway. I really like credit rolls in Touhou games, they're such a nice moment after you've completed one. ZUN wondered in his comment whether they are even needed. I have no idea whether he was serious or not, but I'll be really sad if this game doesn't have one.

Drake

« Reply #423 on: May 18, 2013, 05:31:38 AM »
In  a way it does help me focus more on the bullets and less on the unique mechanics but sometimes that mechanic makes it more fun. I liked the graze factor of SA yet loathed but found the UFO mechanic intriguing (sorry Drake).
And sometimes the mechanic is what encourages you to dodge the bullets and makes it more fun, rather than just taking an easier path ;D

I couldn't agree more. My biggest complaints with UFO and TD is that theres a chance (higher later on) that you lose a life trying to get a life. (I'm bad, I know) Just being able to focus on the game and gaining life through the points items that fall towards you or by scoring is the least rage inducing for me.
I'm a bit confused why you noted 10D here, but the way I'm reading this is "I don't want to have to do anything special in order to get extra lives". While score-based extends are great since ideally they should push you to actively work with the game's mechanics for survival, EoSD and MoF both fall utterly flat in this regard by handing every player all the extends before the end of the game regardless of how good they are with the mechanics. In the same light, PCB's distribution of the extends makes it so that every player will get five, and probably six or more, not doing anything in particular for them at all.
It's like because of this, you've internalized that the game is supposed to hand you a certain amount of lives by the end of the game. Sure, ideally, you're going to get the maximum amount of lives you find feasible, but if actively getting one extend is hard for you to get or you think you might die trying, there's always the option of y'know not getting it and just staying where you are. You haven't lost anything but your opportunity. This is what extends are; a reward for fulfilling some requirement. They aren't lives that are tacked onto your starting total but just happen to show up later in the game. Well, I guess they are for the games mentioned, but the point is that they shouldn't be.
What if MoF did this and only the first extend was really easy, and then rest were say 400m and up from there? Would you be more incentivized to score?

Actually a return of SAs grazing system would be welcome. It was simple enough, but somewhat more intriguing than MoF. And MoF was a little too hectic with the score bonus getting reduced the moment you wouldn't gather pickups or shoot fairies. That had a greatly demotivating effect on me.
SA's graze system I have two main disagreements with, which are the lack of focus on the POC and the milkiness of quantity-grazing for score.
With all items flying towards you at max value for some grazing, which most of the patterns are centered around, it removes the necessity to move up to the POC to collect, when POC itself is a magnificent thing. What this does is basically let the player be content sitting around idly grazing fixed or aimed things (not that this is very true for high scoring) around the bottom of the screen, which the POC itself is directly against. I find it interesting how you say UFO pins you at the bottom yet don't notice this, while I'll argue it's the exact opposite. Now as said SA's patterns are designed to work with this, so the POC is sometimes infeasible to reach, like often in stage 4. So it isn't a huge deal in execution, but I don't like it on principle.
Second, the system ends up early that you milk patterns for graze. That's just bad. Especially with ReimuA. Like I said before, the latter-half's focus on survival while getting faith and more graze is great, but... it's a graze milking system nonetheless. I'm very hard-pressed to name a game where your quantity of graze is important for scoring and it somehow doesn't run down to milking things. Me and others have thought long and hard about how to frame a game's mechanics around the "quality" of grazing, or how long you were grazing things intensely and how often you shoved yourself into danger, rather than having patterns yielding huge graze points and skewing distribution. This, I think, is a much better way to encapsulate the main point of grazing, which is to have the player force themselves into danger in order to be rewarded. However, I haven't yet been satisfied with anything I've come up with as a coherent system either (after scrutiny), so bleh.

Then I'll poke a little. UFO felt more restricting and had you pinned more at the bottom of the screem because moving would often mean collecting the wrong UFO.
I'm... not actually sure what you mean by this. How does the conflict of more than one UFO on screen force you to the bottom? That just avoids all of the UFOs. To begin with, the UFO system is what gives the player the incentive to start moving all over the screen where they might not normally want to go due to bullets. When you give the player this opportunity, it creates the risk-reward scenario of offering the player extra resources or points for daring but successful behaviour. But even with like 4 blinking UFOs on screen somehow it's usually the bullets that prevent you from getting the UFO you want (i.e. stage 4), so I'm not sure why the UFO collection is why you'd say it has you pinned.

EDIT: Ammy's right, if someone wants to take this then make a new thread lol
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 05:25:04 PM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Gappy

• Oh...oh I was not ready for this.
  • It's only Logical....
« Reply #424 on: May 18, 2013, 09:58:30 AM »
Sakuya and Youmu's reaction to Touhou 14 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYsuArnZCtg

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #425 on: May 18, 2013, 01:51:17 PM »
A bit belated because I was distracted, but: Can we not turn the Touhou 14 thread into Touhou 13 bashing? Please and thank you.

Comparisons and so on are fine, but this thread isn't even about 10D. I will freely admit to being a bit biased here because I still have a lingering dislike for all things 10D and enjoy seeing it criticized, but this just isn't the thread for that. This is a "yay! New Touhou game!" thread, not a thread to talk about how much we hate 10D. In a thread that can contain up to 1000 posts, we're bound to get some derails into comparing this with other game announcements, but it we could stay on the title topic that'd be pretty great, y'all. We've only got two weeks 'till demo release, so we can surely MOSTLY stay on topic before we start getting bored.

Same applies to UFO or whatever. If y'all want to have the same argument you always have about previous games, you can do it in HME. Let's try and keep stuff on track here.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #426 on: May 19, 2013, 12:05:25 PM »
Erm, my bad.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 12:11:55 PM by Ginko »

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #427 on: May 19, 2013, 12:10:07 PM »
Update ! Miko revealed !

Special Trait : Vocation of the Statesman

As Miko gains popularity, she  attracts the desires of the audience.
By attracting a lot of desires, all of her attacks become stronger.
Conversely, if she loses popularity, she lets go of the accumulated desires,
and if she loses too many desires, her attacks will be weaker than the usual, so that she
has to pay twice more attention to her popularity.

Miko revealed on Touhou 13.5 right?
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Mayson

« Reply #428 on: May 20, 2013, 12:16:28 PM »
On another note, I'm a bit worried about one thing, but we won't see it in demo anyway. I really like credit rolls in Touhou games, they're such a nice moment after you've completed one. ZUN wondered in his comment whether they are even needed. I have no idea whether he was serious or not, but I'll be really sad if this game doesn't have one.
The staff roll joke is a common theme in all Touhou games. If you have them, you can look it up yourself. He always writes things into the staff roll theme description like "...and there is not enough staff" "It's a shame that there isn't more staff" "I lately wondered if there is a point to the credits". It's dating back to EoSD, maybe even before that.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #429 on: May 20, 2013, 12:38:26 PM »
Besides which, how else would we know that ZUN is grateful for

ant

fang

... and you

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #430 on: May 20, 2013, 03:59:30 PM »
... and you

This thing alone is enough of a reason for a 1cc and not skipping credits :qq:

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #431 on: May 20, 2013, 05:18:58 PM »
This thing alone is enough of a reason for a 1cc and not skipping credits :qq:

The songs are cool too  :qq:
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Mesarthim

• Oh no, which direction should I move?
  • Clumsy
« Reply #432 on: May 21, 2013, 02:47:49 AM »
Honestly my favorite credits theme is from Perfect Cherry Blossom.

If a credit sequence was omitted from a Touhou game a tear would be shed that day. Actually I assume a lot would be.

Hard 1cc: 4 (LLS), 6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW)13 (TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)
Lunatic 1cc: 8 (IN), 9 (PoFV), 11 (SA), 12.8 (GFW), 14 (DDC)
Extra Clear: 4 (LLS) ,5 (MS) ,6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW),13(TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #433 on: May 21, 2013, 06:14:22 PM »
Like, really, I never watched MoF's credits roll but it turns out Sylphid Dream is actually really cool.

And it doesn't consist entirely of Suwa Foughten Field.

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #434 on: May 21, 2013, 11:22:52 PM »
Hmmm I don't know if anyone pointed this out yet so apologies.

But:
"Reimu, Marisa, and Sakuya's individual weapons have suddenly started acting on their own. On top of that, the Youkai who are usually quiet and subdued have suddenly started rebelling. Will the three oppose their own weapons or abandon them?"

This sounds likes possession, like by ghosts. Who's a ghost who likes to cause trouble? Who's a ghost that influences Youkai?

C'mon if you haven't guessed yet... MIMA! I mean I hardly doubt it... But it is a possibility?

(I doubt it because TD and UFO left up in disappointment...)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 11:25:01 PM by PhantomSong »

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #435 on: May 21, 2013, 11:31:46 PM »
But it is a possibility?
It sounds like your trying to tell but it looks like your trying to ask. I'm not sure how TD's or UFO's lack of Mima is evidence against Mima's appearance in DDC. First of all, what you said seems pretty valid, and second of all... duh. Mima is doing not only exactly what you said she might be doing but also more.

Drake

« Reply #436 on: May 22, 2013, 12:28:40 AM »
number of works with mima directly in them: 4
number of works released since mima's last direct appearance: 38

_cf

• playing with training wheels
  • "Touhou" is japanese for "silly hats only"
    • my Pixiv
Re: Project 14 - Double Dealing Character
« Reply #437 on: May 22, 2013, 12:35:21 AM »
So, Touhou 14.
Right, Touhou 14: I've been thinking on what could make Sakuya return to incident solving, and a good answer is: The incident somehow affects the SDM. But how?

Well, this game is seemingly about magical tools going haywire, and SDM has a lot of magical books in its library, So I've had this dream about stage 1 being Voile in utter chaos with magical books shooting everything, with an exasperated Patchouli as the 1st stage boss.

The first stage midboss would be Flandre, of course. She's also putting the magical books down but she's very careless, so she enters the screen mid stage, shoots about 2 billions of bullets on books outside the screen but a few stray bullets come to your side (mimicking the difficulty and density of a 1st stage midboss spellcard). You shoot her just enough so that she goes to play elsewhere.

Mayson

« Reply #438 on: May 22, 2013, 03:39:20 AM »
Hmmm I don't know if anyone pointed this out yet so apologies.

But:
"Reimu, Marisa, and Sakuya's individual weapons have suddenly started acting on their own. On top of that, the Youkai who are usually quiet and subdued have suddenly started rebelling. Will the three oppose their own weapons or abandon them?"

This sounds likes possession, like by ghosts. Who's a ghost who likes to cause trouble? Who's a ghost that influences Youkai?

C'mon if you haven't guessed yet... MIMA! I mean I hardly doubt it... But it is a possibility?

Well, ZUN wouldn't certainly have Mima return as antagonist for a game, if he made her return. Most Touhou characters share that they get beaten by Reimu / Marisa once and then they are "subdued" and working with the two, if they do make a return in the first place. So the only chance of Mima returning would be as playable character or in a Fighter / Phantasmagoria game, but it's highly unlikely.

Also, there are a lot of more ghosts in Touhou than just Mima.

Right, Touhou 14: I've been thinking on what could make Sakuya return to incident solving, and a good answer is: The incident somehow affects the SDM. But how?
We actually know that already. Her weapons start acting on their own. The actual question is not how they get involved but who targets her. It will be probably a new Youkai, though, so thinking too hard about that question won't lead us anywhere.

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #439 on: May 22, 2013, 03:45:56 AM »
I posted this earlier for the lulz:

Well, this game is seemingly about magical tools going haywire, and SDM has a lot of magical books in its library, So I've had this dream about stage 1 being Voile in utter chaos with magical books shooting everything, with an exasperated Patchouli as the 1st stage boss.
Wasn't it already confirmed that Voile isn't the name of the library and that it's simply the theme's name?

« Reply #440 on: May 22, 2013, 03:59:13 AM »
I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet but maybe Touhou 14 can be like Concealed the Conclusion and have split paths for each character. It could be to make the game more interesting because of the lack of gimmick.
Although maybe it won't...
Although I don't think Mima's going to be in the game or the final boss, because following the tradition, final bosses are always new characters.
The sprite that looks like Orin in one of the screenshots doesn't make since considering the plot. It might be another China/Orange character development like some other people said.
SDM does use a lot of magic, maybe the magic has all gone haywire and Sakuya has to solve the problem.
The screenshots does show what looks like the Misty Lake. Maybe Cirno will make a return since Perfect Cherry Blossom. She's one of the few special characters that have been in more than one main series game. (Alice, and Yuyuko are others.) Playable characters don't count.

I can't wait for the demo. I just want to see what ZUN has in store for us.
Currently a normal player

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
« Reply #441 on: May 22, 2013, 04:28:52 AM »

Considering that thre seems to be an youkai outbreak going on while Reimu's, Marisa's and Sakuya's weapons ar being possessed, I think that some of those youkais have decided to target SDM for some reason, and Sakuya decided to get to the bottom of this incident in order to stop the attacks.

Drake

« Reply #442 on: May 22, 2013, 04:37:47 AM »
Wasn't it already confirmed that Voile isn't the name of the library and that it's simply the theme's name?
It was part of the many errors in Strange and Bright Nature Deity that were later officially corrected.

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #443 on: May 22, 2013, 05:12:54 AM »
It was part of the many errors in Strange and Bright Nature Deity that were later officially corrected.
Can you please be more precise?

Thanks in advance!

Drake

« Reply #444 on: May 22, 2013, 06:38:15 AM »
東方三月精 Touhou Sangetsusei
Eastern and Little Nature Deity
画像及び本文中の記載間違いに関するお詫びと訂正
Apology and correction in regards to errors in portraits and text passages

2007年1月26日に発売致しました「東方三月精 Eastern and Little Nature Deity」の画像及び本文中の記載に間違いがありました。
修正箇所につきましては、原作者監修のもと正誤表を作成致しましたので、ホームページにて掲載させていただきます。
読者の皆様はじめ、関係各位にはご迷惑をおかけしましたことをお詫びすると共に、ここに訂正させていただきます。
    In the 01/26/2007 release of Touhou Sangetsusei ~ Eastern and Little Nature Deity, there were errors in the portraits as well as the text.
In order to correct these passages, errata were written up with the supervision of the original author, and will be published on the home page.
To all of our readers, and to anyone else it may concern, we offer our sincerest apologies for the trouble we have caused, and humbly offer the corrections below.

コンプエース編集部
Comp-Ace Editorial

※この正誤表は原作者の監修の下、作成したものです。
These errata have been written up under the supervision of the original author.

●キャラクター紹介画像の誤掲載
  Character introduction portrait errors
誤 (Error)

正 (Correction)
[Youmu]         [Yuyuko]
[Yuyuko]         [Yukari]
[Keine]         [Reisen]
[Portraits from Imperishable Night are pictured]

●本文中の誤植箇所
  In-text misprinted passages
誤 (Error)

正 (Correction)
ヴワル図書館   (Voile Library)        紅魔館内の図書館   (The Library in the Scarlet Devil Mansion)
(藤原妹紅の種族)月人   (Fujiwara no Mokou's species; Lunarian)        人間   (Human)
幻想郷唯一の情報媒体   (Gensokyo's only news medium)        幻想郷の貴重な情報媒体   (Gensokyo's valuable news medium)
冥界の裁判官   (The Judge of the Netherworld)        地獄の裁判官   (The Judge of Hell)
麗夢   (Used "Rei" in "Hakurei" for "Reimu")        霊夢
全6タイトル   (All 6 titles)        全5タイトル   (All 5 titles)
蓬莱の玉の輿   (The jeweled palanquin of Hourai)        蓬莱の玉の枝   (The jeweled branch of Hourai)
森近霖之助(もりちかしんのすけ)   ("Shinnosuke")        森近霖之助(もりちかりんのすけ)

●キャラクター名英語表記の誤記
  Character name romanization errors
誤 (Error)

正 (Correction)
Lumia        Rumia
Chilno        Cirno
Hong Meyling        Hong Meirin
Pachery Knowledge        Patchouli Knowledge
Frandoll Scarlet        Frandre Scarlet
Rhetty Whiterock        Letty Whiterock
Tcheng        Chen
LillyWhite        Lily White
Merlan Prismriver        Merlin Prismriver
Rilica Prismriver        Lyrica Prismriver
Onoduka Komachi        Onozuka Komachi

Source: http://www.comptiq.com/release/comic/55touhou_owabi.html (dead)

brb crossposting in misc questions for referencing
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 07:18:50 AM by Drake »

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #445 on: May 22, 2013, 07:23:46 AM »
And they still didn't get Flandre right (presumably) :V

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #446 on: May 22, 2013, 07:57:56 AM »
Actually, some of these names are pretty awesome.
Tcheng and Rilica are amazing :V

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #447 on: May 22, 2013, 01:16:42 PM »

Pachery Knowledge        Patchouli Knowledge
Frandoll Scarlet        Frandre Scarlet
Rhetty Whiterock        Letty Whiterock
Tcheng        Chen
Pacherry plx
HAahahAhahaahAHahaHaahah  :getdown:
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

« Reply #448 on: May 22, 2013, 02:30:13 PM »

The first stage midboss would be Flandre, of course. She's also putting the magical books down but she's very careless, so she enters the screen mid stage, shoots about 2 billions of bullets on books outside the screen but a few stray bullets come to your side (mimicking the difficulty and density of a 1st stage midboss spellcard). You shoot her just enough so that she goes to play elsewhere.
Or, instead of Flandre... I dunno, Koakuma? *Wild Mass Guess*

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #449 on: May 22, 2013, 09:57:53 PM »
Well, ZUN wouldn't certainly have Mima return as antagonist for a game, if he made her return. Most Touhou characters share that they get beaten by Reimu / Marisa once and then they are "subdued" and working with the two, if they do make a return in the first place. So the only chance of Mima returning would be as playable character or in a Fighter / Phantasmagoria game, but it's highly unlikely.

Also, there are a lot of more ghosts in Touhou than just Mima.

That's not entirely true at all... Bosses have appeared as antagonists, sure mostly mid-bosses, (unless you want to count Yuyuko... Who wasn't really an antagonist...) but they still are in the heroine's path

As for the ghost thing:
Sure, that's what most of the Youkai in the games are! (But note Spirit =/= Ghost in Gensokyo. Mima's an Evil Spirit, or so she claims. The other branches of Ghosts are: Poltergeist, Phantom, and Ghost) But Mima likes to cause malice, and did so 4 or so times!