Author Topic: 東方Project 第14弾の情報です - Double Dealing Character  (Read 264562 times)

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
Re: 東方Project 第14弾の情報です - Double Dealing Character
« Reply #240 on: May 12, 2013, 01:41:33 PM »
Fun fact: Mima doesn't use any form of "Spark" attacks in canon.
I know, I was rather pointing at the fact of a darkened spark or "darkness" in common. But I guess more would say Rumia to that, it's just a thought that comes with Marisas skills being darkened/corrupted. Silly when I think about it now.

And doesn't Meiras theme have a strange name? Well, there's almost no information in canon about her, so I guess there's not much to say about it.
The spellcard rules in the Windows era were implemented to basically prevent the residents of Gensokyo from killing each other off, as far as I remember.
But that doesn't quite make sense, does it? Noone really seems to die in touhou 1-5. (considering Mima was in HRtP.)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 01:45:15 PM by Darkness1 »

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #241 on: May 12, 2013, 01:42:57 PM »
The only thing I know is that ZUN said on an E-Mail that we should ignore the PC-98 era as much as possible. Touhou pretty much got a reset from EoSD and onwards, so we should only take the windows era into consideration.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 04:42:32 PM by Synnae ~★ »

Sweetness and love~ ♥

« Reply #242 on: May 12, 2013, 01:43:59 PM »
Indeed. Wasn't Touhou quite more "dark and edgy" before the Windows era? For instance during the fight against Mai and Yuki one of the two dies, in HRtP one of the two final bosses suicides and wants to take Reimu with her, in several games several bosses state that they don't want to die yet and then there is Yuuka with "Genocide is just another game".
The spellcard rules in the Windows era were implemented to basically prevent the residents of Gensokyo from killing each other off, as far as I remember.

I wouldn't call it dark and edgy exactly, but it certainly took the fights more seriously. Although this aspect of the setting wasn't suddenly changed in the Windows era or anything. EoSD's dialog was written as if you killed Sakuya, for example. And even though she came back in the next game, up through IN there were still numerous references to the youkai eating you if you lost or conversely being killed (ie: Yuyuko eating Mystia). And of course Mokou died every spellcard. While you can see in retrospect that they were joking, the games were still written as if the characters were fighting to the death.

It wasn't until PMiSS that the non-lethal nature of spellcard duels was really emphasized.

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #243 on: May 12, 2013, 02:27:41 PM »
Eeyup. Mima fans seem to take Touhou Soccer as canon, which is a bad, bad thing.
While I do know that Touhou Soccer isn't canon, I was under the assumption that Twilight Spark is canon at first, but then I saw someone spilling the truth...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 02:31:42 PM by game2011 »

« Reply #244 on: May 12, 2013, 02:28:19 PM »
the endings of the PC-98 games (even the bad endings) seems even sillier than those in the Windows games, so I'd disagree that it was more or less serious than the Windows games, imho.

@ Synnae: iirc someone said that TH3 had a lot of cameos (I only recognize multi and Ellen, though), which would affect the current canon.
PC-98 partially "exists", still, or else, characters such as Marisa, Alice and Yuuka would have to be reintroduced.
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

game2011

• magneiptVE
« Reply #245 on: May 12, 2013, 02:32:48 PM »
the endings of the PC-98 games (even the bad endings) seems even sillier than those in the Windows games, so I'd disagree that it was more or less serious than the Windows games, imho.

@ Synnae: iirc someone said that TH3 had a lot of cameos (I only recognize multi and Ellen, though), which would affect the current canon.
PC-98 partially "exists", still, or else, characters such as Marisa, Alice and Yuuka would have to be reintroduced.
There's also a tiny cameo from Doraemon.  I think it's when Yumemi is presenting Multi to Reimu...

« Reply #246 on: May 12, 2013, 02:34:49 PM »

Alice and Yuuka were reintroduced. They were treated the same as any other boss, and if you weren't already familiar with them you wouldn't even notice. At best they have little gags about how Reimu can't remember them.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #247 on: May 12, 2013, 03:29:49 PM »
At best they have little gags about how Reimu can't remember them.
That's true for Alice, but Reimu was very familiar with Yuuka in PoFV:

Reimu: "Ah, there you are! You're the culprit, aren't you? [...] Everything went back to normal when I defeated you back then!"

PC-98 is "canon" only in the sense that the general outline of events probably happened. But they are unrelated and utterely irrelevant to whatever is going on nowadays.

Regarding the game, I'm pretty hyped for it, since it's the first game I'll witness being released! I don't really care much about the gameplay, I like pretty much all the games equally regarding that, so I'm more curious about how the story will go. Argh, these two weeks will take forever to pass...
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Mayson

• The future... A new age!
« Reply #248 on: May 12, 2013, 04:12:22 PM »
And doesn't Meiras theme have a strange name? Well, there's almost no information in canon about her, so I guess there's not much to say about it.But that doesn't quite make sense, does it? Noone really seems to die in touhou 1-5. (considering Mima was in HRtP.)
What about Sariel? And Yuki / Mai in Mystic Square?

The only thing I know is that ZUN said during an interview that we should ignore the PC-98 era as much as possible. Touhou pretty much got a reset from EoSD and onwards, so we should only take the windows era into consideration.
Didn't he say that mainly to get people to stop calling for Mimas return? After all he did bring a handful of characters back, only a few but still.

I wouldn't call it dark and edgy exactly, but it certainly took the fights more seriously. Although this aspect of the setting wasn't suddenly changed in the Windows era or anything. EoSD's dialog was written as if you killed Sakuya, for example. And even though she came back in the next game, up through IN there were still numerous references to the youkai eating you if you lost or conversely being killed (ie: Yuyuko eating Mystia). And of course Mokou died every spellcard. While you can see in retrospect that they were joking, the games were still written as if the characters were fighting to the death.

It wasn't until PMiSS that the non-lethal nature of spellcard duels was really emphasized.
Yes, I remember. You're right. Maybe Touhou was never really all that dark. Just trying to wonder where I actually got that from, because someone else told me that and it made sense at that time when I thought about it.

They're still quite different, despite their similiar appearance. Other background stories and they have quite different catch phrases and intentions which makes them more interesting. But it could be one of the reasons he doesn't want to reintroduce them. Maybe he'd feel that an old character that was already in a game would be a waste of boss for a level? His official statement was that he'd just find it awkward habing to reintroduce them, though.

Also, that PC-98 is canon is something I'd support. He never really retconned any character or place, he just has them not reappear in the windows games or he gives reasons why you don't run into the old characters. For instance in UFO the player character returns to Makai and instead of being presented with retconned new Makai the situation given just suggests that you are in a completely different "corner" of Makai and entering Makai in a non-tradional way (Murasas ship).

And didn't he state in an interview that Mima and Genji are still around, but just staying at the shrine of Reimu all of the time?

Also suspicious: Byakuren has one spell that is a direct clone of Shinkis spell. Then again ZUN seems to love giving other people nostalgia. In almost every game there is a remix or remastered piece of the "old times", so it's not like he is completely dumping the PC-98 era. He just leaves them in the past of Gensokyo and barely touches them.
That's true for Alice, but Reimu was very familiar with Yuuka in PoFV:

Reimu: "Ah, there you are! You're the culprit, aren't you? [...] Everything went back to normal when I defeated you back then!"

PC-98 is "canon" only in the sense that the general outline of events probably happened. But they are unrelated and utterely irrelevant to whatever is going on nowadays.
Another good clue that points in the direction of PC98 being canon. Enough derailing from me for now, though. This is just such an interesting topic, it always sidetracks me the instant when it pops up.

Regarding the game, I'm pretty hyped for it, since it's the first game I'll witness being released! I don't really care much about the gameplay, I like pretty much all the games equally regarding that, so I'm more curious about how the story will go. Argh, these two weeks will take forever to pass...
And it will just be the demo! The full release will take some more time. :P Until then you will be told tradionally by the boss of the third level that you may not continue your journey despite beating her, hehehe.

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #249 on: May 12, 2013, 04:26:48 PM »
If that would be the case, it's far too much to the side. The way I see it, it's to the Reimu's side and turned at nearly 90 degrees to her, which is perfect for a side-to-side inverted reflection. Then again, given there are no depth perception cues whatsoever, it's all just an empty speculation and opinion, but it's not like ZUN is such a bad artist that he couldn't draw a picture with a sense of volume (see Changeability of Strange Dream cover).

EDIT: Actually, it's the way Reimu stands - clearly turned a bit from the viewer - which convinces me that depth perception applies here. Yeah, we have ZUN's drawing that isn't flat. Even I can see now that his art has improved.
Sorry, I don't quite see what your saying here. You say there are no depth perception cues but there is the fact that the mirror is behind Reimu. I don't see how the mirror can be in any other orientation then facing the viewer and that gives Reimu one location where she can be, in front of the mirror.
Top down view:
-------           <--Mirror with reflection on the left
        \           <--Reimu

V               <--Viewer

Yeah, the reflection appears too far on the left but that's just ZUN fudging it a little for the sake of good composition. Otherwise the reflection would appear so close to Reimu that it would be incomprehensible.

I think you're suggesting something more like this:
          /       <--Mirror with reflection on the left
       /
    /       \    <--Reimu

V         <--Viewer
While I can see why this might be tempting, the reflection off of that mirror would not look like the silhouette of the Reimu we see because we'd be looking at her from a different angle. As an example, we see Reimu holding her gohei behind her head, then in her reflection we should be seeing Reimu holding her gohei beside her head and we don't see that. Plus, if this were the case we'd be seeing the side of the mirror frame and we don't do that either.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #250 on: May 12, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »
What about Sariel? And Yuki / Mai in Mystic Square?
Sariel's pretty ambiguous, the only thing you have going for her/him/it is the name of its theme, so one can't say for sure.
And Yuki/Mai probably didn't die; ZUN says so here.

And it will just be the demo! The full release will take some more time. :P Until then you will be told tradionally by the boss of the third level that you may not continue your journey despite beating her, hehehe.
....ffffffffffFFFFFFFF I forgot it was only the demo =P THANKS MAN NOW I'M EVEN MORE IMPATIENT
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #251 on: May 12, 2013, 04:37:09 PM »
Didn't he say that mainly to get people to stop calling for Mimas return? After all he did bring a handful of characters back, only a few but still.

Nope. That's actually because someone asked something about Yuki and Mai. ZUN never stated that it was to get people to stop wishing for Mima's return. Here is the passage:

Quote from: ZUN's E-Mail
> ? Are Yuki and Mai really dead?
> I know we're dealing with a PC-98 game, but were Yuki and Mai from Mystic Square really killed?
> Looking in particular in the conversation when Lady Mima and Yuki are left... (sweat)
> Or is this also a type of joke, like Lady Remilia's statement that "Sakuya is dead" in EoSD?

ZUN: Basically, they're whatever-works types, so they might not be dead.  I generally have no comment regarding
the PC-98 games.  Please ignore them just as one can ignore derivative works. :-)

-EDIT-

lol, ignore this. I didn't read the post before this one.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 05:28:01 PM by Synnae ~★ »

Sweetness and love~ ♥

game2011

• magneiptVE
« Reply #252 on: May 12, 2013, 05:17:37 PM »
Sariel's pretty ambiguous, the only thing you have going for her/him/it is the name of its theme, so one can't say for sure.
....ffffffffffFFFFFFFF I forgot it was only the demo =P THANKS MAN NOW I'M EVEN MORE IMPATIENT
He's actually asking why Mai and Yuki's themes have sinister-sounding names.  Mai, I can understand, since she's actually happy when you defeat Yuki, but Yuki...  No idea...

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #253 on: May 12, 2013, 06:03:08 PM »
I took up Meira because her themes name is "Power of Darkness" while she seems to have nothing to do with it in the first place. Her dialogue is also strange, almost like she somehow belongs to the Hakurei bloodline.
I dunno, but Darkness Spark still sounds really cool for a bomb attack.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #254 on: May 12, 2013, 06:12:49 PM »
Darkness Spark still sounds really cool for a bomb attack.

I'm starting to suspect this Dark Spark is actually an Antimatter Laser, Since the description says it's a  "laser that returns everything to nothingness" which is basically what Antimatter does after colliding with matter.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Mayson

• The future... A new age!
« Reply #255 on: May 12, 2013, 06:19:12 PM »
So many comments from the man himself. Thank you for this link. :3 Also, don't be too impatient or the Yama will come and lecture you.

Nope. That's actually because someone asked something about Yuki and Mai. ZUN never stated that it was to get people to stop wishing for Mima's return. Here is the passage:

-EDIT-

lol, ignore this. I didn't read the post before this one.
Thank you, too. Even though you were late. :P

He's actually asking why Mai and Yuki's themes have sinister-sounding names.  Mai, I can understand, since she's actually happy when you defeat Yuki, but Yuki...  No idea...
From the translated scripts it appears they have a master-servant relationship somewhat and Yuki is the master. Or Yuki is just calling the shots more often. Either way, they don't seem to be completely equal. It would also explain why Mai would'nt be sad about her dying (or not dying whatever).
Also, Yuki gets really pretty mad once you beat Mai, so maybe that's the reason for the name of her theme.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #256 on: May 12, 2013, 06:27:14 PM »
I took up Meira because her themes name is "Power of Darkness" while she seems to have nothing to do with it in the first place. Her dialogue is also strange, almost like she somehow belongs to the Hakurei bloodline.

She doesn't. She just wanted to steal the power of the Hakurei Ying-Yang Orbs. Of course, Reimu thought that Meira was A: a man, and B: hitting on her. Hence Reimu's very weird dialogue in the same scene.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #257 on: May 12, 2013, 06:32:53 PM »
She doesn't. She just wanted to steal the power of the Hakurei Ying-Yang Orbs. Of course, Reimu thought that Meira was A: a man, and B: hitting on her. Hence Reimu's very weird dialogue in the same scene.

What I found to be weirder was Meira trying to steal Reimu's balls :V

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #258 on: May 12, 2013, 06:41:13 PM »
I am Meira. I have come here
to take the Hakurei.
  :V

Anyways, just a thought since Mima told Reimu that only those of the Hakurei bloodline could use the power of the orbs. But I guess Meira was unaware of the fact then.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #259 on: May 12, 2013, 06:50:26 PM »
Plus, if this were the case we'd be seeing the side of the mirror frame and we don't do that either.

*facepalm* Sorry, my bad, should've noticed that.

But yeah, I meant the latter case. The reflection has a bit distorted dimensions (or is it just me after staring at it too much?), and it's all shadow-like so we don't see any details, so I find that case plausible. That's just my opinion, and if you don't find it convincing, I don't mind you having your own, it's not like it's something too important. For all we know, that could be just a magical mirror that displays a "dark" copy of a character by itself.

...Oh my goodness, could that be a plot point?! :o

« Reply #260 on: May 12, 2013, 07:43:14 PM »
I'm starting to suspect this Dark Spark is actually an Antimatter Laser, Since the description says it's a  "laser that returns everything to nothingness" which is basically what Antimatter does after colliding with matter.

Oh please, that's obviously hyperbole.  :V

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #261 on: May 12, 2013, 08:09:52 PM »
Oh please, that's obviously hyperbole.  :V

That and an Antimatter laser would utterly destroy everything in the surrounding area, Mini-Hakkero and Marisa included, if only from the resulting explosion from the antimatter and matter colliding.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #262 on: May 12, 2013, 08:15:03 PM »
And if there's one thing ZUN is known for, it's a strict adherence to the laws of physics. :colbert:

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #263 on: May 12, 2013, 08:37:05 PM »
I WANT MY FLAMETHROWER ALREADY. :getdown:

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #264 on: May 12, 2013, 08:43:40 PM »
That and an Antimatter laser would utterly destroy everything in the surrounding area, Mini-Hakkero and Marisa included, if only from the resulting explosion from the antimatter and matter colliding.

I know, but there would be a bit of magic involved as well, so, it'd not be THAT destructive. :V

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #265 on: May 12, 2013, 08:46:48 PM »
And if there's one thing ZUN is known for, it's a strict adherence to the laws of physics. :colbert:
> Touhou lasers in a nutshell.
Would be interesting to have your own demotivational beam to fire at people you don't like.

Imosa

« Reply #266 on: May 12, 2013, 08:50:47 PM »
*facepalm* Sorry, my bad, should've noticed that.

But yeah, I meant the latter case. The reflection has a bit distorted dimensions (or is it just me after staring at it too much?), and it's all shadow-like so we don't see any details, so I find that case plausible. That's just my opinion, and if you don't find it convincing, I don't mind you having your own, it's not like it's something too important. For all we know, that could be just a magical mirror that displays a "dark" copy of a character by itself.

...Oh my goodness, could that be a plot point?! :o
Yeah, for the most part I just wanted to argue about fact of the matter. What we can reasonably guess is that mirrors are probably plot related.

Speaking of mirrors and hella cool things, do people know what conic sections are? In short, they are a set of mathematical constructions that, among other things do some really cool things to stuff that is reflected off of them. For example, an ellipse or oval is a conic section, that has two points in it's interior such that any ray of light shot from one of these points will always hit the other point.
I would love if conic sections came up in a game about mirrors, because the stuff is too cool to ignore.

As for antimatter... that's too easy. Saying your weapon fires anti-matter and is thereby ultra powerful is lazy and uncreative.
Lets say I have a gun that can fire anti-matter bullets. OP, right? Well, whats the gun made out of? If it's matter then the bullets should destroy the gun before I can fire them, and if it's anti-matter then the gun should be destroyed when in contact with the air. Well, what I actually have is a Mini-Hakkero reactor which creates and fires anti-matter from the space right in front of it. That's fantastic, but that anti-matter is still going to disappear as soon as it contacts the air. Well, to counter that I just create the anti-matter faster then the air can destroy the anti-matter. Great so once that's done you propel the anti-matter toward your target, at a really high speed. Have you ever tried getting something to a really high speed? That can be hard. This is anti-matter but anti-matter just has negative mass, not no mass, so the amount of... anti-energy you need to propel it is still considerable. Of course I'm not firing anti-matter bricks, I'm firing anti-matter protons and anti-matter electrons which have so little anti-mass they require so little anti-energy to speed them up... I just have to fire a shit ton of these things. So now I've got my beam of antimatter carving it's way into a world where everything destroys it until it finally hits my opponent, who begins to get annihilated... except hes already dead because in the time it took to solve just the logistical problems with anti-matter and with far less energy then it took to conjure the anti-matter (most of which was lost to the environment), a traditional laser killed him. Anti-matter is overrated because if a material exists there already exists a material that can break it, without invoking something like anti-matter.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 09:20:47 PM by Imosa »

Kosachi

• Te-Te-Te-Te-Tenko
  • Hinanai Tenko~
« Reply #267 on: May 12, 2013, 09:49:23 PM »
You summed it up perfectly. Anti energy is unbelievably hard to get. You're pretty much playing with the fabric of existence at this point when speaking of Anit-Matter; and it's not easy playing God.
I finally got ahead!

Imosa

« Reply #268 on: May 12, 2013, 10:31:45 PM »
You summed it up perfectly. Anti energy is unbelievably hard to get. You're pretty much playing with the fabric of existence at this point when speaking of Anit-Matter; and it's not easy playing God.
That isn't what I said. I know nothing about how hard it is to get anti-energy, or anti-matter, I don't even know where to begin finding out (besides google), so I can't or won't make the statement you just made. However, I don't have to bother with that stuff, because the problem is much simpler. If I have two Mini-Hakkero reactors, magical items the workings of which are a complete mystery, which can both conjure and propel a 9mm bullet, and only differ in the fact that one uses matter and the other uses anti-matter, I can propose that the one using matter bullets will be many times more effective at shooting things.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #269 on: May 12, 2013, 10:57:04 PM »

It's practically impossible to have anti-matter in this universe, because it will cancel itself out as soon as it touches any matter. Not that positrons and other anti-matter particles don't exist, but it would essentially have to be man-made in our universe.

Okay, you got me there. ^^;