Author Topic: 東方Project 第14弾の情報です - Double Dealing Character  (Read 264567 times)

Kingault

• Insert witty description here.
Re: 東方Project 第14弾の情報です - Double Dealing Character
« Reply #210 on: May 11, 2013, 04:41:05 PM »
According to the wiki, the translation for the Japanese title is "Eastern Castle of Shining Needles." Who knows what that means, but perhaps it means there'll be a setup like EoSD where they visit a previously unknown mansion? In the forest? In any case, I hope shining needles doesn't refer to more lasers. >.<

Magic Needle Attack?

My body is ready.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #211 on: May 11, 2013, 05:24:46 PM »
The translation in the OP has been edited slightly for nuance and for one minor error. Thank you to all you gorgeous translators who point these sorts of things out.

« Reply #212 on: May 11, 2013, 05:49:46 PM »
Thank God, no Sanae and no Youmu.

The art is wonderful too.

« Reply #213 on: May 11, 2013, 05:58:16 PM »
Thank God, no Sanae and no Youmu.

>:(

Anyway, I'm excited on what new characters we would get. And hopefully, they don't have bullshit hax power (though ZUN seems to be avoiding this nowadays).

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #214 on: May 11, 2013, 11:53:31 PM »
How I regret not being able to go to Reitaisai this year. It was to be expected to be grand for it's 10th festival.

Ah well. Need to prepare the demo article I guess once it is released.

Captain Vulcan

• I'm tellin'!
« Reply #215 on: May 12, 2013, 01:13:48 AM »
Now that Sakuya's playable again, I hafta admit that I have more sympathy for Sanae and Youmu than I once realized.

Bummer.
My mind is not a nice place to be.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #216 on: May 12, 2013, 01:25:36 AM »
A break every once in a while is good for every character.

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #217 on: May 12, 2013, 01:27:52 AM »
A break every once in a while is good for every character.

Tell that to Reimu and Marisa.

Captain Vulcan

• I'm tellin'!
« Reply #218 on: May 12, 2013, 01:31:59 AM »
Reimu's job is never done. The girl's almost always on the grind.

Part of her charm.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #219 on: May 12, 2013, 01:33:19 AM »
Tell that to Reimu and Marisa.

Hey, the show's gotta have SOME stars to bill! :V

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #220 on: May 12, 2013, 01:41:41 AM »
Though I must admit, Reimu took a break in Fairy Wars and Shoot the Bullet and Marisa took her break in HRtP (duh) and STB too.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #221 on: May 12, 2013, 01:54:20 AM »
Marisa took her break in HRtP (duh)
Uhhhhhh :V
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #222 on: May 12, 2013, 02:11:12 AM »
Well, okay, it was before she even started her youkai-hunting career. Happy now?

Mesarthim

• Oh no, which direction should I move?
  • Clumsy
« Reply #223 on: May 12, 2013, 03:01:54 AM »
I'm just curious as to what my preferred character and/or type is going to be this game.

6: Reimu B
7: Marisa A or B
8: Anything, no preference
9: Why am I listing this it isn't the same type
10: Reimu A or B, Marisa B
11: Reimu B
12: Anything except Marisa B, enough tables have been flipped
13: Reimu or Youmu, they both have ups and downs.
14: ??? I'll find out when the time comes.

Though I do find the title to be a bit weird.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 03:04:32 AM by Mesarthim »

Hard 1cc: 4 (LLS), 6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW)13 (TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)
Lunatic 1cc: 8 (IN), 9 (PoFV), 11 (SA), 12.8 (GFW), 14 (DDC)
Extra Clear: 4 (LLS) ,5 (MS) ,6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW),13(TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)

Zakari

• This loli contains Autism
  • Autistic Loli
« Reply #224 on: May 12, 2013, 03:10:17 AM »
Here`s what i found.

My guess for the theme is Tarot Cards and fortune telling. Mainly because double dealing makes me think of cards and character could refer to the images on Tarot cards. They're also used for fortune telling. I think the last boss could be a 1000 year old fortune teller who has the power to control people's fate.

It also originated in europe, and Sakuya & the Scarlet Devil Mansion are involved here and they're very victorianesque like. Not only that, Remilia also can manipulate fate thus she could be sending Sakuya to deal with that character who can also control fate because she feels threatened by it.

I think double dealing could refer to the King and Queen decks in cartomancy. Not only that, the boss in a screenshot used what i think is heart shaped danmaku. I think the four characters will each represent each card suite. Coins/diamond, swords/spades, heart/cup, and Wands/clubs.

Reimu- coins
Marisa- wands
Sakuya- Swords

not sure if Double Dealing Characters is about Tarot cards?

Captain Vulcan

• I'm tellin'!
« Reply #225 on: May 12, 2013, 03:18:42 AM »
I wonder if we will ever see a Phantasm Stage again? I'm sure Yukari's pretty lonely in that regard.

Possible, but unlikely? Or just plain no?

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #226 on: May 12, 2013, 03:53:46 AM »
No, there's absolutely nothing strange with that mirror. You can see a reflection like this if it's at the right angle. If it wasn't shadow-like in that picture, you'd see Reimu's face in it.
I can see what you mean but only after I throw out conventional interpretations of what I see. The mirror appears to be facing us and appears to be behind Reimu. There would have to be a very intense optical illusion going on for that to be a normal mirror.

@Zakari: That could be cool. Although, strangely disappointing. I guess I expect something a little more exotic then themes I already know about.

Mayson

• The future... A new age!
« Reply #227 on: May 12, 2013, 04:44:52 AM »
Perhaps you should take a look at this. This might clear things up. ^^;
As far as I know, though, Touhou's still going to go on for a while, even if ZUN stops working on it (whether he will or not I don't know, but it doesn't seem like he will stop). The fans might very well carry the series in perpetuity. That's how I see it, at least.
Yes, I never suspected him really stopping, although I do wonder how long this will continue. After all Touhou is somewhat like a red line that is drawn through his life since he started studying. Also, that thread is really funny.

Here`s what i found.

not sure if Double Dealing Characters is about Tarot cards?
Mh, but for that the mirror seems to be too important, since mirrors can have really deep meanings? Your guess isn't bad, though. Maybe both play a role. It would even be possible, if ZUN had implemented alternative routes in this game like he had in HRtP or IN. After all ZUN had written that the characters could either, stick to their weapons or abandon them - Maybe it's presented in form of a path select choice after stage X and depending on which choice is being made, the mirror or the tarot cards get more meaningful in the later stages.

The mirror would probably be important when the character sticks to her own individual weapon and then has to face off the youkai that is possessing it. Abandoning the weapon would lead to an alternative path in which the player meets the fortune teller you mentioned - Probably telling the character that she will choose the other path (making it a bad and also silly ending which ZUN is known for implementing).

Just tossing out some speculations here.  :getdown:

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #228 on: May 12, 2013, 09:26:13 AM »
I can see what you mean but only after I throw out conventional interpretations of what I see. The mirror appears to be facing us and appears to be behind Reimu. There would have to be a very intense optical illusion going on for that to be a normal mirror.

If that would be the case, it's far too much to the side. The way I see it, it's to the Reimu's side and turned at nearly 90 degrees to her, which is perfect for a side-to-side inverted reflection. Then again, given there are no depth perception cues whatsoever, it's all just an empty speculation and opinion, but it's not like ZUN is such a bad artist that he couldn't draw a picture with a sense of volume (see Changeability of Strange Dream cover).

EDIT: Actually, it's the way Reimu stands - clearly turned a bit from the viewer - which convinces me that depth perception applies here. Yeah, we have ZUN's drawing that isn't flat. Even I can see now that his art has improved.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 10:13:10 AM by C.Angel »

« Reply #229 on: May 12, 2013, 09:36:03 AM »
Now that Sakuya's playable again, I hafta admit that I have more sympathy for Sanae and Youmu than I once realized.

Bummer.

If there's one thing that Sakuya's return shows, it's that a major character can drop out for a long time, but won't stop being a major character and can show up again in the future. I have no doubt that, if official Touhou games keep getting made, Sanae will show up again at some point.

I wasn't a big fan of Mountain of Faith, so the idea that the system will be streamlined again worries me a little. But I'm hopeful that this will be good.

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #230 on: May 12, 2013, 10:17:50 AM »
Dark Spark
Mima.pc98 pls
Possessed Weapons
Kana Anaberal, Fourth Prismriver, Rin Satsuki.
Never mind me, just being abit silly here.

Anyways, this looks really good. Sakuya is back, more danmaku focused, interesting story, nothing to dislike so far. The Orin-esque character looks... interesting and ZUN got more creative with his shottypes, yay! Also, the magic circles seems to rotate in 3D aswell now?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 10:20:36 AM by Darkness1 »

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #231 on: May 12, 2013, 10:19:54 AM »
it's that a major character can drop out for a long time, but won't stop being a major character and can show up again in the future.

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #232 on: May 12, 2013, 11:35:46 AM »
Mima.pc98 pls
Fun fact: Mima doesn't use any form of "Spark" attacks in canon.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #233 on: May 12, 2013, 11:54:13 AM »
Thing I find interesting with Reimu's picture I've noticed is other times I've seen red, green and blue colors is when Miko and Kanako got serious during their battles. Little too tired right now to try and build what that could mean here.

« Reply #234 on: May 12, 2013, 11:56:11 AM »

Eeyup. Mima fans seem to take Touhou Soccer as canon, which is a bad, bad thing.

Kosachi

• Te-Te-Te-Te-Tenko
  • Hinanai Tenko~
« Reply #235 on: May 12, 2013, 11:57:40 AM »
Depends how you look at it. It's very understandable if someone interprets her Mystic Square bomb as a spark like deathray falling from the sky :P

Just no twilight spark :(
I finally got ahead!

« Reply #236 on: May 12, 2013, 01:01:06 PM »
The mirror would probably be important when the character sticks to her own individual weapon and then has to face off the youkai that is possessing it. Abandoning the weapon would lead to an alternative path in which the player meets the fortune teller you mentioned - Probably telling the character that she will choose the other path (making it a bad and also silly ending which ZUN is known for implementing).

Just tossing out some speculations here.  :getdown:

it may be possible that there's (another) Stage 6B in the series, or even a True Last Boss (there were borderline examples of TLBs in the Touhou series, though they would be considered easy to get to: Mima's final pattern in SoEW, Yuuka's stage in LLS, Stage 6B in IN)

also, speaking of special attacks, Marisa has copied Reimu's pine tree shots from SoEW, Patchy's Non-Directional Laser nonspell, besides Mima's orreries sun and Yuuka's "Master Spark".

today's speculation: Sanae and Youmu will be in TH13.5 to make for their absence in TH14, or they'll be unlockables in TH14 :D
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #237 on: May 12, 2013, 01:24:28 PM »
As far as I know, ZUN didn't bother with the actual spell card naming until Touhou 6? (Windows games era launch). He clarified this somewhere in the afterword translations of either PCB or IN that danmaku has become more than just bullets, but a form of expression dialogue. So not quite sure if we can name PC98 attacks/appearances as they aren't like the Windows Era games.

« Reply #238 on: May 12, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
As far as I know, ZUN didn't bother with the actual spell card naming until Touhou 6? (Windows games era launch). He clarified this somewhere in the afterword translations of either PCB or IN that danmaku has become more than just bullets, but a form of expression dialogue. So not quite sure if we can name PC98 attacks/appearances as they aren't like the Windows Era games.

Not only were they not named, they weren't spellcards.

Mayson

• The future... A new age!
« Reply #239 on: May 12, 2013, 01:38:33 PM »
Not only were they not named, they weren't spellcards.
Indeed. Wasn't Touhou quite more "dark and edgy" before the Windows era? For instance during the fight against Mai and Yuki one of the two dies, in HRtP one of the two final bosses suicides and wants to take Reimu with her, in several games several bosses state that they don't want to die yet and then there is Yuuka with "Genocide is just another game".
The spellcard rules in the Windows era were implemented to basically prevent the residents of Gensokyo from killing each other off, as far as I remember.