Author Topic: The Perfect, Elegant Maid (NEW INSTALLMENT 3/9)  (Read 33886 times)

ArteShy

• Sure you're straight dash....
  • ...I totally believe you
Re: The Perfect, Elegant Maid
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2010, 08:00:45 PM »
I! NEED! MORE! PERFECT! MAID!

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2010, 01:17:31 PM »
Oh god I want to hug Sakuya forever.

Also Flanplot thickening~
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2010, 01:59:42 PM »
(I'm running out of ways to thank you guys for your comments. :V )

Patchouli sat at her desk, reading a novel she had been meaning to finish. As usual, a cup of coffee sat on the desk, steaming away. She occasionally took a sip from it, never taking her eyes off the book. With all the reading she did, it was a wonder her eyesight was still so good.

There was a loud thunk as the hands of the giant clock on the roof met at the 12:00 o?clock mark. The tolls started, announcing the time.

One?two?three?

Patchouli took a sip of her coffee. Any second now?

Seven?eight?nine?

Maybe she forgot that she can stop time. They would have to work on that.

Eleven?tw-

?Good afternoon, Lady Patchouli.?

Ah, just in time. ?Good afternoon, Sakuya.? Patchouli slipped a bookmark into her novel and looked up to see the maid standing a few steps away, hands folded in front of her. She looked quite elegant, a stark contrast from when they first met. Remilia was right; she would fit into her new position nicely. ?Koakuma isn?t too hard to keep up with, I hope??

Sakuya shook her head. ?No, I?ve been able to help her. She has to do the tasks that require flying, though.?

Patchouli pushed herself out of the chair, hovering above the ground as usual. ?Well, now I know where to start with you.?

She floated up to the top of the nearest bookshelf and sat on the top, her legs hanging over the edge. ?When you can sit on this bookshelf, then I?ll know that you?re finished with your first lesson. To fly, you have to focus your spiritual energy in the direction you want to go, then you can go there.?

This was easily one of the worst sets of instructions Sakuya had ever experienced. ?Um?Lady Patchouli, I don?t think I understand??

?You can feel it. It?s the energy keeping you alive, the force that moves through everything. Imagine the energy of your body flowing toward one point and let it pull you in that direction.?

The maid sighed and closed her eyes. Alright, it shouldn?t be too hard. Patchouli did it all the time, after all.

She focused, visualizing an energy pulling her up into the air. A rainbow of light wrapping around her like a harness and lifting her up.

She felt her feet lift off the ground. It was working. She was flying.

Sakuya opened her eyes and saw Patchouli looking down at her, eyes wide in surprise. The maid was at least six feet off the ground and still ascending. As practice, she strafed in the air, moving in every direction she could think of. Then she increased the force of the pull and shot up to the top of the bookshelf, where she turned and sat next to Patchouli.

She did it. She really did it. She flew. Sakuya sat up straight and grinned like a giddy schoolgirl, waiting for Patchouli?s reaction.

??I didn?t expect you to get that nearly so quickly,? the magician finally said. ?You?re a fast learner. Even Meiling took the whole day to catch on.? Patchouli pushed herself off the bookshelf and hovered in front of Sakuya, leaning back as if she were in a reclining chair with her legs crossed. ?Alright, since you got through that lesson so quickly, I?ll give you the rest of the hour to look around the library as much as you would like. At one, the entrance is over there.? She indicated a large, blue flame floating in the air in the distance.

Sakuya nodded and flew off in the direction of a random bookshelf.

?Oh, and Sakuya?? The maid turned to see a small smile on the edge of Patchouli?s mouth. ?The books on the higher shelves are better reading material.?
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2010, 02:35:33 PM »
Nice.
I have...a terrible need...shall I say the word?...of religion. Then I go out at night and paint the stars.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2010, 10:21:06 PM »
Your running out of ways to thank us, I'm running out of ways to compliment this, so I'd call it even :D The story title is exactly what this is, perfect.

ArteShy

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2010, 12:23:12 PM »
I already use the sentence Perfect Maid so i will use : I!NEED!MORE!PA- *knifed*

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2010, 04:43:03 PM »
HIGHER SHELVES

BETTER READING

GO FOR IT
                                                                                   .

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2010, 06:19:35 PM »
this goes on the top shelve. Of a bookcase on top of the other ones.

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2010, 03:54:45 AM »
 At sunset, Sakuya exited the Mansion through the front door and was greeted by a beautiful sight. The sun was on the horizon directly in front of her, coloring the sky with yellow and orange. The hundreds of different kinds of flowers were made even more colorful by the light of the setting sun.

Meiling poked her head around the gate, smiling at Sakuya as the maid gaped at the view. ?Hey, Sakuya! C?mon, are you gonna just stand there all day??

The maid dragged herself back to reality and returned Meiling?s smile. To show off what she had just learned, she floated down the path and through the gate, landing in front of the guard. Meiling, needless to say, was speechless.

?Huh, you learned that fast? That?s impressive. Guess ya won?t need to train for long, then.?

With that, Meiling walked into a small building nearby, likely the house she stayed in, and emerged carrying a training dummy made of straw. She set it down on the ground, then turned back to Sakuya. ?Alright, you?ll be using this for your training. You have some knives, right??

Sakuya shook her head. Why Meiling expected her to carry knives around with her wherever she went was beyond her. It?s not like she was still living on the streets.

?Yeah, I guess ya wouldn?t.? Meiling disappeared into the small building again and emerged with two chef?s knives. ?You can use these for now. Not the best, but it?ll work. Patchouli can probably make you some tomorrow.?

Sakuya took the knives and eyed them. They were about the same as the ones she used before she came to the mansion, so it wouldn?t take her time to get used to them.

Meiling moved over to a tree nearby and cracked her knuckles. ?Now, I don?t use weapons myself. I?m better with my bare hands, but I'll see what I can do for you. First we?ll work on physical combat. Attack the dummy and show me what you can do so far.?

-------------------

A minute later, Sakuya stood breathing heavily in front of a very torn up dummy. Meiling leaned against the tree, impressed. ?Huh. Looks like you?re pretty advanced. Guess we don?t need to work on technique.?

She picked up the dummy and carried it back into her house. Meiling returned massaging her hands. ?Alright, we?ll go for some hand-to-hand. Don?t worry too much about stabbing me, I can always regenerate. I?ll try to go easy on you, though.? She entered a battle stance, crouching and ready to act.

?Are you sure about that,? Sakuya asked. Even if Meiling could regenerate, Sakuya was pensive about hurting her.

?Don?t worry about it. Just don?t hit me in the head and I?ll be fine. C?mon, we don?t have all day.?

Sakuya nodded as her face hardened. Without warning, she lunged at Meiling, slashing at the other girl?s shoulder. Meiling swiftly grabbed Sakuya?s attacking arm and drove her palm into the maid?s stomach, knocking her back.

Sakuya grunted and fell against the wall surrounding the mansion. That blow knocked the wind out of her, and she coughed a few times before straightening up again. Meiling was already ready for another attack. Rainbow flames covered her forearms and fists. Her flaming palm suddenly flew at Sakuya?s head.

Sakuya had no time to react. She stared in shock, watching as the palm shot closer to her face. This wasn?t really happening, was it? Meiling wouldn?t-

CRACK
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

ArteShy

Re: The Perfect, Elegant Maid (NEW INSTALLMENT 10/4)
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2010, 10:31:27 AM »
At last!

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2010, 05:56:05 PM »
CRACK :3c
                                                                                   .

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2010, 05:33:14 AM »
KrackoCloud enters the PSL for no reason, and finds this gem!
I really like this story. It portrays the relationships in the SDM very nicely.
Man, I should visit this board more often.

Re: The Perfect, Elegant Maid (NEW INSTALLMENT 10/12)
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2010, 07:14:22 PM »
(Not sure this one came out so well. I had about as much trouble as Meiling did with what I wanted to say. :/)

When Sakuya opened her eyes again, she saw Meiling?s wrist embedded next to her head at least two inches into the stone wall behind her. Her heart was pounding in her chest as she breathed deeply to calm down.

Meiling pulled her hand out of the wall and dusted off her hands. ?You should?ve reacted. If I wasn?t your friend, you?d be dead right about now.? She sighed and put her hands on Sakuya?s shoulder, leading the shaking girl over to the small house nearby. ?C?mon, I think there?s something I should tell you. I?ll get you some lo mein while we talk. You?ve gotta be pretty hungry right about now.?

They entered the one-room house, and Meiling asked Sakuya to have a seat at the low table in the middle of the room. ?You hafta kneel to sit there. It?s how we used to do it back home.?

Sakuya nodded and kneeled at the table, looking around the room while Meiling got to work at the stove. The room was furnished mainly by the stove, a sink, a large bed, and the table Sakuya currently sat at. The walls were painted with Chinese murals of strange dragons and unicorn-like things, and various charms and lanterns hung from the ceiling. A single window let a lot of light into the room.

After a while, Meiling placed a bowl of noodles mixed with steamed vegetables and pork in front of Sakuya, then plopped down on the other side of the table with her own bowl, sitting with her legs crossed. She produced a pair of chopsticks and began to eat, before realizing that Sakuya was looking at her own chopsticks in confusion. The gate guard slapped herself on the head and chuckled quietly. ?Sorry, I guess you don?t know how to use those. Just a sec, lemme get you a fork.?

Once the issue of utensils had been resolved, the two of them sat quietly for a short time while they ate. Finally, Meiling set down her bowl and broke the silence. ?Did ya enjoy the lo mein? It?s an old recipe I learned from my parents a while back.? Sakuya nodded and thanked Meiling, eliciting a smile of pride from the gate guard. She quickly regained composure, though, becoming quite serious as she began her speech.

?Alright, Sakuya, I?ll be honest. I don?t think that your current situation has registered in your head yet. I mean, you?ve only been here two days now, so it?s understandable.?

?What do you mean, Meiling??

?I?ll put it this way. I?m a youkai. Like all youkai, I eat stuff like pork and beef, but humans taste delicious to me. I can shatter the trunk of an oak tree in one punch, and even if you cut me into five pieces, I?ll come back together. Going by the fight we just had, if I lost control and tried to kill and eat you, do you think you would stand much of a chance the way you are right now??

Sakuya shook her head.

?Now look at Remilia. She?s a vampire, so she lives off human blood. Now, she may look delicate, but damn if she isn?t nearly as strong as I am. She knows some good magic, too, and that spear of hers, Gungnir, can run you through like a knife through butter. If she attacked you for some reason, how long do you think you could last??

?Probably not very long??

?Then there?s Koakuma. She?s a demon. A lesser demon, of course, but a demon nonetheless. You might have a chance against her, but then there?s Patchouli to contend with. She?s the best magician on this continent, and she?s a magician by species, not just occupation. That means she?s lost her human soul and replaced it with magic, so she?s basically a youkai no better than me. She can control every element you can think of, and she?s studying new spells every day. I probably don?t need to ask you how you think you?d fare against her right now.?

Sakuya shook her head again. ?I don?t know why you?re telling me all this, though. I already know I need to work on combat.?

?It?s not just that, Sakuya. I?ll be blunt. You?re a lamb in a den of wolves. We may seem nice, we may act human, but that doesn?t change the fact that you?re the only human in this entire mansion. If you?re going to survive here, you don?t just need to fight better. You need to be willing to stab your friends in the chest. You need to understand that if we?re willing to kill you if, for whatever reason, we give in to our natural urges, you need to be willing to kill us if you want to stay alive.?

Meiling sighed, rubbing her temples. ?I?m probably sayin? this wrong. What I?m trying to say is, you don?t need to just work on your skill in combat. You need to work on your mindset, the way you think. Back there, you trusted that I wouldn?t hit you, right? You trusted me to let what?s left of my human side take precedence over my youkai side, right? And I did. But once in a blue moon, I might not be able to do that again. The youkai that I am might beat my humanity into the curb and try to kill you. You understand??

The maid nodded. ?I think so.?

?Sakuya, I want you to trust me. I want you to trust all of us. Remilia, Koakuma, Patchouli. But don?t trust us so much that you let your guard down, alright? No matter how human we may look or act, we?re all monsters here.? Meiling shuffled over to Sakuya?s side and put an arm around her friend?s shoulder. ?You?re a good person, and I don?t want you gettin? hurt just ?cause one of us screws up. I don?t want to scare you, I just want you to be safe here. Okay?? Sakuya nodded in response.

?Good. Now c?mon, cheer up. Can?t have you going back to work with a face longer than one of Miss Patchy?s novels.? Meiling beamed down at Sakuya as the shorter girl giggled quietly.

A little while later, Sakuya met Koakuma at the gate again, and the cheerful demon led her back into the mansion. Meiling smiled and waved at them as they walked away, but her face became serious once the maid and the demon were out of sight.

?Sure hope I didn?t screw up there??

Aterisk

• アタリスク・アイダロ
  • 男は僕の心を素早く盗みます。
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2010, 08:25:24 PM »
I need a love button on  posts...

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2010, 08:32:47 PM »
I've always loved Meiling. <3 This makes her even more awesome, because not only did she narrowly avoid exploding Sakuya's head, she's also a lot damn wiser than people credit her.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2010, 08:41:17 PM »
"A lamb in a den of wolves" XD I liked that, it sums up Sakuya's position nicely, even though the Sakuya we know is closer to "A lamb with a gun in a den of wolves"

I already said this before, but Perfect Elegant Maid is Perfect and Elegant.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2010, 04:38:47 AM »
That's um, a very nice perspective.
                                                                                   .

ArteShy

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2010, 05:45:44 PM »
Here, have a cookie box.

No, seriously now, this thing gets better and better and better.

Smallfry

• Life.....Death.....
  • I own it all
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2010, 12:30:07 AM »
Why didn't I find this sooner?? You need to get payed for writing this masterpiece.   :o
SOMETIMES YA DON'T NEED TO BE FASTER THAN THE BEAR, JUST FASTER THAN THE GUY NEXT TO YA

Aterisk

• アタリスク・アイダロ
  • 男は僕の心を素早く盗みます。
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2010, 05:27:24 AM »
Needs moar perfection and elegance <3

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2010, 02:13:27 AM »
This story deserves cake of the highest caliber.
*gives a slice of perfect, elegant cake*

Re: The Perfect, Elegant Maid (NEW INSTALLMENT 10/25)
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2010, 08:55:41 AM »
(This took longer than expected. On the plus side, I'm finally at one of the points I really, really wanted to get to. As usual, thanks for all your comments!)

Time passed.

After the maid figured out how to control the pocket watch, Patchouli gradually taught Sakuya a form of metal magic, one of the six elements the magician could control, allowing the maid to summon knives. First she was only able to create the knives out of thin air, solid metal utensils that looked like sharpened table knives with flowery patterns engraved on them. Then she could create portals to launch the knives. Finally, after only a month of practice, she could freely manipulate the weapons, making them bounce off surfaces or change course in midair. She became truly deadly with them, even beating Patchouli once or twice in practice sessions.

Her physical combat classes experienced similar progress. She could give Meiling a hard time in their bouts now, though the gardener still surpassed her when going all-out. Sakuya also had taken over Koakuma?s job almost completely, using her stopwatch to stop time, shrink the huge rooms of the mansion, and clean them quickly and efficiently, flying to clean hard-to-reach locations. She was fitting into her job very well. The perfect maid.

Finally, a month after she arrived at the Scarlet Devil Mansion, Remilia called Koakuma and Sakuya to her room to speak with them. She sat in a chair next to one of the windows, the curtain open just enough that she could see outside, but not enough to let sunlight hit her. Patchouli sat on a sofa nearby, intently reading a book as usual.

Koakuma and Sakuya entered with a brief knock and a ?good morning, milady?. Remilia turned to look at them, smiling, while Patchouli didn?t bother looking up from her book.

?First, Sakuya, I would like to congratulate you on how well you?ve been doing with your new job. While I never actually see you do much work, which I assume is due to the pocket watch you have, the mansion has remained clean and tidy all month. I appreciate your hard work.?

?Thank you, milady,? Sakuya replied, bowing politely.

Remilia?s face suddenly became serious. An air of apprehension filled the room. ?Now, you?ve been here long enough that I think you can fully take over for Koakuma. That means that, starting today, you will start caring for our?special situation in the basement. Koakuma will explain the situation to you as you go down there, and after you are finished you are to return to speak with me. Understood??

?Yes, milady.? Remilia dismissed the two of them, and Sakuya and Koakuma headed for the kitchen. Koakuma prepared the usual tea and cake as she explained what they would be doing.

?To be honest, I?m not really sure how to explain this to you,? Koakuma began, smiling sheepishly as she prepared the food. ?You see, we have someone staying in the basement. I think it would be best if you find out for yourself, really. Anyway, I bring her three meals every day, and then stay with her for an hour before returning to work.?

?Wait,? Sakuya interrupted, shaking her head. ?You?re keeping someone in the basement? Why? Why don?t you ever let?her?out??

Koakuma?s gentle smile faded. She was silent. ??I?I really think Remilia should explain that to you, Sakuya. I understand the situation, but I don?t really know how to explain it.? She finally finished putting together the meal, placed the tea and cake on a tray, and handed it to Sakuya to carry. ?Let?s go. I don?t have anything else to say right now.?

They went to the door that led to the basement, a door Sakuya had been told never to open. Koakuma produced a key from her pocket and unlocked the door, pushing it open. It creaked on its hinges, revealing a stone staircase that led down into the earth. Candelabras lined the walls, making the shadows in the staircase dance. ?The doors are really just for show,? Koakuma said, starting down the stairs. ?If she really wanted to, she could easily break out, locks or no locks.?

At the bottom of the stairs was another pair of doors, which Koakuma unlocked with yet another key. ?Young mistress, it?s me. I?m bringing you breakfast,? she called.

As Koakuma quietly pushed open the door, Sakuya could hear the voice of a little girl singing. She sounded a little younger than Remilia, but with a slightly more obvious French accent.

?In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.?

Koakuma turned to Sakuya and raised a finger to her lips as she walked into the room. It was quite large, but surprisingly empty, save for a few old bookshelves, a large four-post bed, a child-sized desk equipped with brushes, combs, and a large mirror, and a table next to the bed. Various toys, stuffed animals, and dolls were strewn all over the bed and floor, some of which were torn apart, and others that looked like they had been patched together several times.

?We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.?

It was also dark. Very dark. The only light came from a couple of lit candles, one on the table and one on the desk, and the mostly-closed windows that lined one wall near the roof. There was, however, one odd light source; sixteen crystals, in all colors of the rainbow, hanging from rods or sticks that emerged from the back of a small girl sitting on the bed. She was the one who was singing, reading the words from a book in her lap.

?Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.?

When the girl finished reading, Koakuma applauded, smiling broadly. The girl looked up at her, at first surprised, then overjoyed. ?Koa! Good morning!? She leaped off the bed and ran over to the demon girl, hugging her around the waist. Koakuma laughed. ?Good morning, Flandre. Did you sleep well last night??

Flandre let go of Koakuma and nodded vigorously. ?Yep. I didn?t have any nightmares tonight! Isn?t that great?? Finally, she noticed Sakuya standing nearby. The maid looked both confused and surprised. When she saw that Flandre was looking at her, she quickly composed herself and bowed her head. ?My name is Sakuya Izayoi. I?m the new head maid of the mansion, and I?ll be filling in for Koakuma.?

Flandre suddenly looked terrified and clung to Koakuma?s skirt, staring at Sakuya as if the maid just gave her a death sentence. ?But?but?why? Did Koa do something? Is she fired? Did I do something wrong? Whatever it is, I?m sorry! Don?t fire her, please.?

Koakuma gave Sakuya a look that said ?why did you have to say that? before patting Flandre on the head and shushing her. ?Shh, it?s okay. I?m not fired, and you didn?t do anything. Your sister just wants Sakuya to take over my job so I can focus on working in Miss Patchouli?s library. It?s not your fault, don?t worry.?

?Remilia is her-? Sakuya started, but was quickly silenced by another look from Koakuma. ?Sakuya, why don?t you go set up Flandre?s breakfast on the table over there? I?m sure she must be ready to eat by now.? She jerked her head over to the table, and Sakuya quickly obliged. Obviously she was messing up with Flandre.

?So, Flandre,? Koakuma began, ?what was that you were singing when we came in??

Flandre quickly let go and beamed up at Koakuma. ?I got it from one of the books you brought me. It?s called In Flanders Fields. I thought it was In Flandre?s Fields at first, so I was excited, but it wasn?t. I?m trying to learn it so I can show Remi when she comes to visit me again. When is she coming? Do you know??

The demon girl shook her head. ?No, I don?t. She?s awfully busy, though. I?m sure she?ll come down the moment she finds the time.?

Flandre?s face quickly fell at the lack of news. ?Oh?alright. I wanna see her soon, though. Can you tell her??

?Yes, I?ll be sure to. Now come on, you should have some breakfast. It is the most important meal of the day, after all.? Koakuma led the little vampire over to the table, where they sat with Sakuya, keeping Flandre company while she ate.

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2010, 12:57:02 PM »
 :*
*gives a truckload of perfect, elegant cake*

Aterisk

• アタリスク・アイダロ
  • 男は僕の心を素早く盗みます。
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2010, 02:42:12 PM »
The newest installment made me have a braingasm .___.
I love you

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2010, 09:05:48 PM »
You are killing me with this Elegant Perfection! Please, do keep this up if at all possible.

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2010, 12:45:55 PM »
Sakuya look after Flandre>>She must be more mother like :3
Alice Margatroid

Now writing:
Negative Explosion Chapter 3

ArteShy

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2010, 07:02:08 PM »
The cake is NOT a lie. This is the cake.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2010, 06:18:36 AM »
Well the cake in this case is also a lie, seeing as it's actually human blood in disguise.

Anyway, this story goes so deep into the roots of the SDM, it's just

:o
                                                                                   .

ArteShy

« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2010, 09:23:27 PM »
Portal cake is NOT a lie. Flan's and Remi's cake IS a lie.

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2010, 08:36:39 AM »
A perfect and elegant cliffhanger.
I have...a terrible need...shall I say the word?...of religion. Then I go out at night and paint the stars.