Author Topic: Games You're Playing Right Now Thread VI - Even in this thread, F O E  (Read 281808 times)

Re: Games You're Playing Right Now Thread VI - Even in this thread, F O E
« Reply #300 on: October 27, 2015, 08:53:23 AM »
JRPG that I still haven't finished yet:
- Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 2
- Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC
- Fairy Fencer F
- Xenogears

And soon, I'm adding Mugen Souls to my list .
Just wait a few years, that list will balloon to dozens of games.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #301 on: October 30, 2015, 01:34:52 PM »
Waiting for Afterbirth.

It says it's out so I boot up BoI. Says it's installed.

Go into a run.

Turns out it's actually not active yet [It was pre-loaded or something]. Still; I won the run and had to work rather hard for the win. [I had to fight Carrion Queen with -Speed and base damage... ended up just relying on Leech]

Basically ended up with a lot of early HP and Old bandage [HP Up + Chance to drop a heart when you get hit]. Then got Leech. [Pet which attacks things and can heal you sometimes when it does]. I then proceeded to get a few shop items like the Map and played an arcade a lot because of Old Bandage. I then got Bloody Lust [When you take damage get a damage boost for the floor].

At this point I have a ton of HP; decent healing and a damage steroid based on getting hurt. I had Lard too so I was slow as molasses. I had a lot of money from my arcades and got Humbling Bundle.

Then I finally got a Devil Deal; got Brimstone but my rate of fire was garbage. I also got Contract from Below; basically giving me x4 drops. Then I got the Child's Heart trinket which makes health drop more often. This insane HP regen carried me to The Chest where I got Antigravity Tears and Strange Attractor.

What does this do with Brimstone? You fire it, it becomes a swirling vortex and THEN the laser fires. Except with Strange Attractor said vortex pulls enemies in.

The Chest got completely wrecked. I kept on healing due to all the hearts the enemies dropped/Leech/Old Bandage. My damage kept rusing until it hit the Lust Cap. And then Swirling Brimstone Vortexes did the rest.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 01:37:25 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #302 on: October 30, 2015, 03:03:10 PM »
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is the most addicting thing I've played in ages. The open world thing really gives you a lot of freedom to tackle things how you want. Sneaking about is satisfying and gives you lots of ways to accomplish your goals. It's also really tense and gives you the feeling that every meter traversed without being caught is well-earned. Missions feel like they take forever because of the tension, are satisfying to complete, and don't beat you over the head with anywhere near as much filler exposition, getting to the root of events, characters, and their personalities quickly. Enemy AI is good but not punishing and you are given a fair bit of leeway. There are enough surprises to keep you on your toes when dealing with them. Operating Mother Base requires lots of effort that pays off in spades. The number of gadgets you can make and stuff your buddies can do really adds a great deal of depth. Even just going around the base and boosting morale is great. Kiefer Sutherland does a... respectable job and even if you're on the fence or worse with his voice work, Boss doesn't need to spout a copious amount of exposition. The humor of the game is still present, too. The cardboard box is equipped as an item BY DEFAULT and the other nods and thoughtful nuances throughout really add to the fun. Oh and the intro is an hour long thrill ride, the soundtrack is solid (the loadout screen is a remix of the Peace Walker theme tune! YES!) and the visuals are flat-out gorgeous.

The only thing I don't like is that the iDroid interface can be a bit daunting. THAT'S IT.

Yeah it's a whole lot of gushing but man it's been a long time since I've been this into a video game.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #303 on: October 30, 2015, 06:33:17 PM »
Wow I've unlocked Lilith before some people like Bisnap who are renowned in Issac.

I'm surprised.

I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #304 on: October 30, 2015, 09:20:40 PM »
Nope, LoT is too grindy for me. But I found a more interesting time waster instead.

Doom, the Roguelike

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #305 on: October 31, 2015, 03:48:37 AM »
Wow I've unlocked Lilith before some people like Bisnap who are renowned in Issac.

I'm surprised.
I would have streamed Isaac tonight if not for the fact that apparently I... didn't preorder it.  I swore I did.  And I certainly don't have the money now ;-;

Doom, the Roguelike
DoomRL is possibly my all time favourite roguelike.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #306 on: October 31, 2015, 11:10:45 AM »
DoomRL is possibly my all time favourite roguelike.

I'm not really a fan of the genre (magical all items usually needing identification being the main reason), but this one is comparatively simple yet no less enjoyable. Plus it did manage to keep the original's gameplay's spirit.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #307 on: November 01, 2015, 07:42:24 PM »
I would have streamed Isaac tonight if not for the fact that apparently I... didn't preorder it.  I swore I did.  And I certainly don't have the money now ;-;

Interesting; if you want a fun seed; I'll give you one I just had with Lilith [And do it with Lilith for it's full absurdity]:

B9JY
VX0R

The first item is sack of Pennies. There is also a very early Maggie's Faith. There is a distinct lack of keys for a couple of floors. You want to make use of shops when you have 15 pennies; since there are two VERY good shop items that are new that I found this run. One in particular is completely absurd with Lilith.

Don't take the first Devil Deal; I didn't take it because Judas' Shadow was kinda pointless when I was going for my Lilith Post-stick.

Spoilers: I got Satan, Lamb and Mega-Satan in this run. That's the level of potential and absurdity. Both Lamb and Mega-Satan did not even deal damage to me or break mantle.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 07:48:45 PM by Raikaria »

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #308 on: November 01, 2015, 09:27:45 PM »
Just finished Croc a few days ago. A lovely early 3D platformer, pretty easy and with rather simplistic gameplay, but absolutely charming audiovisually and simply very addictive. Too bad it's pretty short and the bonus world is largely disappointing. I'm cautiously approaching Croc 2 now and while the gameplay is somewhat more complex, I'm not sure if I enjoy all the changes. Going to the shop all the time is annoying, and so is repeating a level you just cleared merely to use a buyable item allowing you to grab a collectible.
Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #309 on: November 03, 2015, 02:48:43 PM »
Triforce Heroes ahhhh!
Save the world and be fashionable at the same time!  I've been having a blast playing it, though never the single player mode (that probably plays a huge role in the mixed reviews the game was getting)  It's fun to play with a group of 3 in the same room or with a random person online alongside my sister, but there is definitely something to be said about the challenge of communicating when playing with strangers with the emotes.  Also all the fantastic outfits.  Win/win.

« Reply #310 on: November 03, 2015, 03:12:05 PM »
Tried out the demo for Stella Glow. It's basically kind of like Ar Tornelico but it's a strategy RPG and the singing isn't nearly as interesting or actually are a gameplay mechanic and it's really not all that interesting to be honest. Oh, and the more interesting seeming of the heroines is the villain. So, I think I'm gonna skip it.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #311 on: November 03, 2015, 09:26:15 PM »

Guys I think I broke Issac Lilith.

Oh and in The Chest I picked up Robo Baby and Dry Baby because my luck stat was insane from PHD+Lil Baggy. I was also Guppy with Hive Mind and BFF.

In two runs the only part of the Lilith Post-Stick I've not got are Boss Rush and Greed.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 09:32:24 PM by Raikaria »

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #312 on: November 04, 2015, 09:27:47 AM »
So, Mushihimesama is getting on Steam on November 5, Superbeat XONIC is releasing next week, and SAO Lost Song the week after...

Too many games I want being released, right when I'm strapping myself for cash after succumbing to temptation and dropping 500 on that Muv-Luv pilot jacket and 100 on Guitar Hero Live. blarg :ohdear:

Also, Mass Effect 2 is on Playstation Plus right now. Probably not the best idea to get it without owning the first one.

Also also it's Naval Team Deathmatch time - and I get so annoyed when people drop in the selection screen when it turns out that the host made it a Piston Naval Team Deathmatch, and we have to recreate a small naval sortie from World War II. I still see way too many Zeroes and Lightnings, not enough Spitfires or 109s. I had a sortie where I was the only plane not in a P-38 -FA- in a field of seven (due to aforementioned drop).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 09:46:35 AM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #313 on: November 09, 2015, 06:23:41 AM »
A couple of months ago I picked up a copy of Katamari Forever on a whim and I've been slowly playing through it. I love the original Katamari Damacy (as all good-hearted people do) and I like to revisit it every few years, but I had never played any of the sequels.

I've got to say, I'm not really liking Katamari Forever that much. I don't care for most of the new mechanics (except for the ability to jump, which is great, although the input method for it is obnoxious) and the level design seems like it's trying way too hard to give me a challenge. I don't want a challenge from my Katamari games, I just want to steamroll everything. I'm not playing these games to lose a bunch of times and gradually get better as I learn the best route for the levels, I'm playing them to see crazy designs and feel like a big man rolling over everything. The magnet powerups seem to make the stages a lot more route-based though since you kind of have to go through them in a certain order at the right times to do well.

I'm also not enjoying the soundtrack that much. It's mostly remixes of tracks from the first game, but the remixes have little of the charm of the originals. There's still plenty to like about the game (I love the Robo King's design and dialogue), but overall I don't care for it particularly so far. I don't know how much game I have left, since the original Katamari does just end out of nowhere, but it's been slow going up to this point.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.

Reddyne

« Reply #315 on: November 10, 2015, 01:20:48 PM »
Goodbye, cruel world. It was nice knowing you while it lasted.
The irony that the game was released many other places prior to Boston has not been lost on me. One LP'er I follow posted a video of it, and one Steam friend of mine started playing it while I was 'stuck' playing MGS5. Both are British. Considering how many nods there are to the Revolutionary War in the game, it feels really bizarre. The time has come to end their imperial tyranny.

I HAVE WORK TODAY AND THEN RUNNING AND THEN I GET TO PLAY FO4 AND WALK AROUND THE RUINS OF WHAT'S BASICALLY BEEN MY PLAYGROUND/WORKPLACE FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS AAAAAAAAA. Maybe the traffic will have improved.

« Reply #316 on: November 10, 2015, 10:20:21 PM »
I'm still waiting for it to finish downloading. I guess I could work on homework in the meantime...

Reddyne

« Reply #317 on: November 11, 2015, 01:12:53 AM »
Straight outta Canton.

YES! My town got namedropped! Nothing else matters 13/10 best game evar.

« Reply #318 on: November 11, 2015, 05:59:45 AM »
Straight outta Canton.

YES! My town got namedropped! Nothing else matters 13/10 best game evar.

My town is in the game.  :justasplanned:

Also, seriously, spending thirty to forty-five minutes designing my perfect husbando only for
Spoiler:
him to die ten minutes later.
At least they know how to get you invested.

Reddyne

« Reply #319 on: November 11, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
You guys are all of 4 miles up the road from me. I will be mildly perturbed if BT only gets a single namedrop.

Also to hell with the haters. Yes it's a bethesdarpg.jpg but my imagination was trained long ago to fill in the blanks that fair-not-great graphics left. Crafting stuff is useful right out of the gate. I've barely delved into the game and still already have stories to tell about what happened. Also, they sold this game on just how MA it is and hoo boy does it feel like it fits. Stumbling right into Concord at the start, talking to locals who have inherited the accent that belongs to Massachusetts at large and not the focused, distinct Boston one, steep slanted roofs ready for snow, etc. Even stuff like the layout of the forests and the road signs that mark the town borders are all dyed-in-the-wool Massachusetts. I can appreciate that level of detail.

« Reply #320 on: November 13, 2015, 01:33:41 AM »
I can see the dislike a lot of people are having for the game, and I don't think that it really should be getting the 9+ ratings that it has been (then again, I think the rating system really needs to be revamped because the bar is set way too low anyways), but there are things that I do like about the game such as the settlement system, and the power armor is both the best implementation of power armor in the series in my opinion (it feels less like a "pretty good" set of armor that doesn't do much and more like the war machine that it's always hyped up to be) and the worst implementation (you're given a set WAAAAAAY too early). Give me a week or two and I'll have a more concrete idea of what I think.

Reddyne

« Reply #321 on: November 13, 2015, 03:23:19 PM »
I can see the dislike a lot of people are having for the game, and I don't think that it really should be getting the 9+ ratings that it has been (then again, I think the rating system really needs to be revamped because the bar is set way too low anyways), but there are things that I do like about the game such as the settlement system, and the power armor is both the best implementation of power armor in the series in my opinion (it feels less like a "pretty good" set of armor that doesn't do much and more like the war machine that it's always hyped up to be) and the worst implementation (you're given a set WAAAAAAY too early). Give me a week or two and I'll have a more concrete idea of what I think.
The power armor is balanced by a lot of things. You're given the basic set with no power source and no readily available way to resupply ammo. So it really feels like a privilege not to be abused at the start, but you're still given the chance to play around with it.

The settlement system is complicated but I'm still having fun with it. I've at least cleaned up Hometown USA and given the new residents some stuff. I'll probably keep coming back to it a lot. Even if the system is unintuitive (great, that corner wall is facing backwards by default, I can't attach a roof to it the right way, and I have no idea how to flip it), there's still a lot there and it's a great sidequest to keep yourself busy.

The gun/armor/general crafting stuff finally scratches my pack-rat itch. Collecting everything now makes perfect sense. Putting perks towards gunsmithing also pays off in spades from the start.

Stupid stories: I accidentally removed all the junk I had collected from the town cleanup operation from the workbench and wound up carrying like 700 lbs of stuff and got an achievement for that. I also took a mini-nuke to the face from a legendary raider well east of Hometown USA and got an achievement for that.

Finds: Right in Concord there's a sewer system with goodies to find. South of town there's some groovy equipment indicative of just how much you can modify basic weapons and an abandoned church with a bunker.

Bad stuff: I made my arms, gun, and Pip-Boy disappear by trying to pick something up while jumping. Hurrah, glitches! Also, I'm level 8 and I still don't know  how to scroll down the list of perks. Whoops.

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #322 on: November 15, 2015, 09:08:03 PM »
Been playing some Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 3 lately. Am before the boss fights with
Spoiler:
Anonydeath and Peashy
, but their specials always oneshot my characters. The first fight is bearable, but the lack of healing for the second fight makes it undoable for me.

According to a faq for the original game, Plutia's Meanie Face ability makes it so you dont get oneshot by the specials, but the event for it never came up in my playthrough. :/

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
  • in the emptiness of reason.
« Reply #323 on: November 16, 2015, 03:04:31 PM »
Grind more. Neptunia games have really, really bad balance, and this is coming from someone who loves IF/CH. Either that, or check the free DLC and hope there's an OP weapon/armor in there. You might also be able to get some above-and-beyond gear if you run through all the non-story dungeons, avoiding all the enemies and picking up every treasure chest.
I need an option, a reason, and some hope.

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #324 on: November 17, 2015, 12:26:58 PM »
Will do, thanks! : >

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #325 on: November 19, 2015, 02:56:52 AM »
It's been a fun 10-11 months but....

FINALLY DONE

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #326 on: November 20, 2015, 09:11:33 AM »
Playing Afterbirth still. Working through Greed Modes.

Currently only have Judas [Not looking forward to 1 heart in Greed Mode. At least Belial should help out]; Blue Baby [Yaaay no red hearts] and The Lost [Not until I get that Mantle] to go for that. Well; them and the new secret character.

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #327 on: November 20, 2015, 09:45:38 AM »
So after almost a year of playing BoD Rebirth sporadically, i finally unlocked RPG.

Final stats that matter:
Deaths - 1027
Mom Kills - 210.
Since i have no idea how to check total time played on my Vita i can't say how many hours played, but i am guessing it's over a hundred.

I am not sure what was the worst part. Probably
Spoiler:
The Lost Hardmode
playthroughs since it's was the cause of ~500 deaths total. Actually getting unlocked
Spoiler:
The Godhead
took quite a bit of Judas runs since it has stupidly low chance of spawning. And the absolutely last secret that i unlocked that counted for RPG was Super Meat Boy. I somehow unlocked Super Bandage Girl in one of my normal runs. And to get SMB i had to suffer quite a bit until i got Dr Fetus, Sharp Plug and Pyromaniac (which i got in one of The Chest well chests.) as Isaac in one (final) run of the game.

And now i am playing Dungeon Travellers 2. Ignoring the fact that it's Not Safe for Any Public Place to play, the gameplay itself is kind of more or less standard dungeon crawling and reminds me of old EO games quite a lot. It does not have FOE, but aside from that it's really similar. The party level up mechanics, stupidly overpowered random encounters that result in you getting a total party kill, if RNG decides it does not like you today, prohibitively expensive revival items. It's all there. And i am having lots of fun playing it. My habit of almost never saving notwithstanding...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 09:52:29 AM by CF7 »
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #328 on: November 20, 2015, 07:24:46 PM »
It's been a fun 10-11 months but....

FINALLY DONE
You can never be done with NV.  The closest you can come is taking a break. :V

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #329 on: November 23, 2015, 08:04:08 AM »
So you might have noticed I picked up Superbeat XONiC and Drakengard 3 recently.

It's kind of crazy how similar the difficulty setup of XONiC is to Technika 3 - that is to say, schizophrenic as fuck.

And I'm honestly surprised Drakengard 3 only got an M rating. I'm also honestly surprised how much I'm laughing at the events in the game, even through nonsense like the censor screen during Five's death, Mt. Whatever, punching out faeries, etc.

Also totally salty about how Bamco didn't dub SAO: Lost Song.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 08:06:45 AM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.