Author Topic: DMF Wiki - This needs to get worked on  (Read 10485 times)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: DMF Wiki - This needs to get worked on
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2014, 08:32:00 AM »
Several pages being purged as they belong on bullet forge and promotion/publication can be done here on the forums.
  • Stages / full games
  • Spell cards

Player list will be scanned by Naut and updated in his thread (send him a request to do this). The media page is for now questionable. I am not quite sure what to do with it. Suggestions are welcome.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2014, 12:34:41 AM »
I would say to get rid of the media. Quite a few of the links are broken, and some of them are only compatible with 0.12m (the version they're meant for isn't even visible until you get an error message).

As for players, it's pretty hard to keep track of all player characters, especially since many of the new ones aren't on the thread on MotK (which feels completely abandoned). Most of the ones on the Wiki are either available on Bulletforge or are dead links. It's probably safe to scrap the section.

NOTE: A friendly reminder that on the left sidebar, both Function pages are linking to the category pages and not the function pages.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:37:37 PM by Sparen »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2014, 08:03:34 AM »
Isn't that what we want anyway? A quick link to an overview of all catagories / functions of ph3/0.12m for quick lookup? I don't see the issue.

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2014, 08:07:59 AM »
I would think the "Functions" link would be better linking to this rather than the Danmakufu Ph3 category page. It's misleading and most of us are looking for the function listing i believe.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2014, 08:21:20 AM »
Explain why it is better and define why it is misleading? I am curious about this viewpoint difference.

Let us suppose a person is looking for a specific function about Player scripting, doesn't know exactly the name neither knows what the function does. He/she is obviously trying to look for a general/catagory section called "Player scripts/codes".

1) According to you and Sparen, we should link them to the entire list of functions. The reader will be summoned a huge page with all the functions of Ph3. No problem you might say as a quick search for 'player' will be pointing him to the right section. The reader discovers he/she was looking for 'IsPermitPlayerShot'. Clicks on the link and ends up at http://dmf.shrinemaiden.org/wiki/Player_Functions#IsPermitPlayerShot

2) According to the current situation, the reader is summoned an overview of all catagories of functions. Let us say the player remains point of interest. The reader looks at P and noticed Player Functions and clicks it ending up on the same link.

Both situations are valid and useful, except the latter gives in my opinion a pleasant overview for the eye and look up. We shouldn't forget that people who are unsure about a certain name of a function, should be given a helping hand to look under a category. Both styles do this, but the latter is has a better structure and more overview. I remember 0.12m on touhouwiki was put roughly like this which is why I kept this style currently.

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2014, 10:58:24 AM »
The only reason I say it is misleading is because the link says Functions but actually gives anything under the Danmakufu Ph3 category, which can include pages not directly related to functions, like How to Write Scripts and Default Bullet Graphics.

Honestly, I probably prefer the layout of the full function list simply because I've used it far more. We need more people's opinion on this than just yours, mine, and Sparen's.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2014, 03:37:04 PM »
We need more people's opinion on this than just yours, mine, and Sparen's.
Imagine if this thread has been created since 5th of November 2013 for this purpose, wouldn't that been great?

Drake

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2014, 11:04:55 PM »
I too think the functions list should be kept in the nav sidebar. Instead, I think the Category should just be easily found elsewhere on the front page. The big header for each section links to the Category, but nobody clicks those.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

gtbot

• Master of ScreenSplit
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2014, 12:16:52 AM »
I think it should link directly to the functions page; after all, there's the table of contents at the top of the page that shows the sections of functions that you'd see in the Category page, but in a cleaner list and of only functions.

Perhaps a link to the category at the top of the functions page would be better, so that if the reader cannot find what he's looking for in the functions page (like possibly the list of default bullet graphics), they can search all pages in the specific danmakufu version.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2014, 12:27:30 AM »
Perhaps a link to the category at the top of the functions page would be better, so that if the reader cannot find what he's looking for in the functions page (like possibly the list of default bullet graphics), they can search all pages in the specific danmakufu version.
Actually, this might be particularly helpful. Especially since the tutorials will pop up in the category.

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2014, 09:43:36 PM »
Explain why it is better and define why it is misleading? I am curious about this viewpoint difference.

Let us suppose a person is looking for a specific function about Player scripting, doesn't know exactly the name neither knows what the function does. He/she is obviously trying to look for a general/catagory section called "Player scripts/codes".

1) According to you and Sparen, we should link them to the entire list of functions. The reader will be summoned a huge page with all the functions of Ph3. No problem you might say as a quick search for 'player' will be pointing him to the right section. The reader discovers he/she was looking for 'IsPermitPlayerShot'. Clicks on the link and ends up at http://dmf.shrinemaiden.org/wiki/Player_Functions#IsPermitPlayerShot

2) According to the current situation, the reader is summoned an overview of all catagories of functions. Let us say the player remains point of interest. The reader looks at P and noticed Player Functions and clicks it ending up on the same link.

Both situations are valid and useful, except the latter gives in my opinion a pleasant overview for the eye and look up. We shouldn't forget that people who are unsure about a certain name of a function, should be given a helping hand to look under a category. Both styles do this, but the latter is has a better structure and more overview. I remember 0.12m on touhouwiki was put roughly like this which is why I kept this style currently.
1) It's misleading because the "functions" category page actually just includes all ph3 pages, not just functions. I don't have an objection to a category page for ph3 stuff, but at least label it properly.

2) You can't search for individual function names on the category page, but you can search for function categories on the full function list.  Therefore, the latter offers more functionality.

Example: You gave the example with IsPermitPlayerShot where it might be slightly easier for a novice to find, but consider this...  Say you want to know about the function GetPlayerRenderPriorityI. On the full function list, you can find it easily even though it's actually a System function. On the category page, it's easy to make the mistake of looking through ObjRender functions, ObjPlayer functions, Player script functions, etc.  This can easily happen to both novices who don't know the exact name, and experts who do.

Things like that should be placed under a different category of ph3 documentation, along with default render priorities, event types, and other things that aren't functions. They would be on the category page for ph3, and for this new type of miscellaneous documentation, but not on the function category page as they currently are.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2014, 10:29:42 AM »
I was wondering why nobody went ahead to edit the link in the nav panel, but I remember that only admins can perform that action.

So the goal is to link to the all functions page which was proposed? Can someone then go ahead and perform the other suggested edits/changes as I have limited time on my hands recently.