Author Topic: Fate/Grand Order - Round 3  (Read 208925 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: Fate/Grand Order - Round 3
« Reply #690 on: December 05, 2019, 05:21:24 PM »
Maaan, Salem is pretty great.

No specific spoilers below, but spoiler tagged anyway just in case.

Spoiler:
I'm not *too* far in yet, but this arc is really painting a picture about Fujimura Ritsuka. This certainly isn't the first time I've noticed this, but it's definitely the most intense one. S/he is not just a blank cipher at all anymore, they've become a really competent and skilled Master.

I would have been seriously tempted to snap and seize control of Salem with magic to stop all of the madness many times over by now, weakened Servants be damned, and probably would have gotten eaten by a god pillar as a result. But Chaldea Master has nerves of steel to lay low and keep doing things the right way. Watching a cipher character develop that much over time is pretty inspiring.

The depowered Servants are a great plot contrivance that I kind of wish we had seen in some other arcs now, it really ramps up the tension.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #691 on: December 06, 2019, 04:08:42 PM »
Finished Salem last night, and I think it's my favorite story of the four EoR stories. It did a fantastic job at making me sympathize with a number of people that wouldn't normally deserve it, it had me doing my own mental witch hunt within the Chaldean party (at one point I was convinced that
Spoiler:
Nezha was the Demon God Pillar because of how she just showed up out of nowhere at the very beginning with everyone calling her "newbie" - they had mentioned their memories were getting altered, so I figured Nezha had altered everyone's memories to think she was supposed to be there the entire time
), and the various twists legitimately caught me off guard (outside of instantly recognizing Tituba - such are the dangers of running two years behind JP). Circe ended up being a lot more fun than I expected her to be, too, and it was neat getting to see so many non-gold Servants be important.

The flashback conversation with
Spoiler:
Zepar and Ra?m
was amusing because
Spoiler:
Zepar has been dead and absorbed into Kiara's body for seven slutty, slutty months (I can't believe SE.RA.PH was only back in April/May!) and I was NOT expecting to see his name again in any capacity
and
Spoiler:
Ra?m put everything together based on Lovecraft's works while simultaneously calling him an idiot and a loon the whole time. Couldn't have happened to a nicer racist

Shimosa's final battle is still the top thing this game has done in any capacity, though. I don't think that'll ever be topped.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #692 on: December 07, 2019, 12:33:31 AM »
Meant to do this a few days ago, but I only now just got the time.

107 Unique Servants
-----
No ascensions: 24

Max Ascension - 83

Bond 10 - 5
-----
None Grailed.
-----
8 SSR Servants

15 Welfare SR Servants (Mash Included)

29 Gacha SR Servants
-----
SSR and SR (Non-welfare) NP2: Francis Drake, Tamamo Cat, Nero Claudius, Chevalier d'Eon, Vlad III (Extra), Marie Antoinette, Carmilla

SR: NP3: Siegfried, Lancelot (Berserker)

SR NP5: Altria Pendragon (Lily)

All welfare servants at NP5.
-----
Servants at 10/10/10: Tamamo (Lancer), Francis Drake, Zhuge Liang (Waver), Nero Claudius, Chloe von Einzbern, Tamamo Cat, Gorgon, Mash, Medea, Kiyohime

I've been hoarding my grails for the most point and the only servant I know for a fact that I want to grail to level 100 at some point is Medea because I realized just how good she is under the right circumstances a couple of months ago.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 12:35:55 AM by Kasu »

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #693 on: December 09, 2019, 06:13:00 AM »
Salem Summon 2 is now live; Time to try to get your Sheba and/or Abby.

42 tix in and got one Sheba so far.  Also NP4'd Fran.

- -
Update:
In a single 10 roll (2nd one in)? 
NP2'd Sheba and Saberlot.
And landed OG Saber.

Update 2:
9th and final 10 roll...
Abby came home.

Also NP3'd Wu Zetian along the way  Also MLB'd KScope and 500 Year Obsession.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 06:49:56 AM by Aya Reiko »

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #694 on: December 09, 2019, 10:08:26 AM »
RIP I've already exhausted my quartz, tickets, and the one quartz purchase I allow myself; with only Saint Martha to show for it. At least I might be able to make one more ten-pull if I go bum rush the rest of Salem in anticipation of the next total login bonus?
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Suwako Moriya

« Reply #695 on: December 09, 2019, 02:45:55 PM »
Got a 5* off the Abby banner that wasn't Abby .-.

Do we know if the Abby banner will expire before the Ereshkigal banner drops? I hope that they will run concurrently so I can switch back to trying for Abby if, God willing, I actually get Ishtar Alter.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #696 on: December 09, 2019, 03:10:57 PM »
I blew the handful of stones I had trying to get Circe because I don't really care about Abigail (upsettingly horny design) or worst Ishtar Ereshkigal (too redundant with Astolfo, too worst).

Didn't pull Circe either, but I got a Devilish Bodhisattva that I'm pretty happy about. I could use at least a couple of those and I'm definitely glad to have one. I think this makes Black Grail the last non-limited 5* CE that I don't have and really want to have available.

Meanwhile
Spoiler:
Amadeus continues his bizarre kill streak by finishing Abigail off in her last fight. He's killed like 75% of the strongest enemies in the game I swear.

Edit: Okay, I finished the last bits of the wrapup for Salem. There's some stuff I'm not really sure I understood.

Spoiler:
So wait... what happened? What was Raum trying to do, why, and how? Maybe I should be happy a Fate story focused on the plot on the micro level and not on trying to laboriously over-explain the mystical bullshit for once, but I'm a little confused. Where did Sheba and Circe come from exactly? If Raum's plan involved using fictional characters to do... something and that was the point of Lavinia Whatley being there then how is Randolph Carter also a real living person? Was there actually a holy grail involved?

I liked Salem a lot, it was tense and exciting and the themes came together well, but I feel like I either forgot some important details or misunderstood something as far as the actual mechanics go.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 06:23:15 PM by commandercool »

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #697 on: December 10, 2019, 02:28:47 AM »
I blew around 360 SQ and 80 tickets on the banner, but the only really notable things that occurred were that I landed four copies of Sheba and a Mordred.

I... think I'm gonna save my SQ for Mysterious Heroine XX. I seriously want a Foreigner.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Suwako Moriya

« Reply #698 on: December 10, 2019, 02:36:56 PM »
I blew the handful of stones I had trying to get Circe because I don't really care about Abigail (upsettingly horny design) or worst Ishtar Ereshkigal (too redundant with Astolfo, too worst).

Didn't pull Circe either, but I got a Devilish Bodhisattva that I'm pretty happy about. I could use at least a couple of those and I'm definitely glad to have one. I think this makes Black Grail the last non-limited 5* CE that I don't have and really want to have available.

Meanwhile
Spoiler:
Amadeus continues his bizarre kill streak by finishing Abigail off in her last fight. He's killed like 75% of the strongest enemies in the game I swear.

Edit: Okay, I finished the last bits of the wrapup for Salem. There's some stuff I'm not really sure I understood.

Spoiler:
So wait... what happened? What was Raum trying to do, why, and how? Maybe I should be happy a Fate story focused on the plot on the micro level and not on trying to laboriously over-explain the mystical bullshit for once, but I'm a little confused. Where did Sheba and Circe come from exactly? If Raum's plan involved using fictional characters to do... something and that was the point of Lavinia Whatley being there then how is Randolph Carter also a real living person? Was there actually a holy grail involved?

I liked Salem a lot, it was tense and exciting and the themes came together well, but I feel like I either forgot some important details or misunderstood something as far as the actual mechanics go.

https://www.reddit.com/r/grandorder/comments/7mwc97/about_salem/

This is a pretty good summary of the story. (Obviously Salem spoilers, but also some spoilers for the other EoR stories, as well as the SE.RA.PH event and one of the GudaGuda events)

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #699 on: December 10, 2019, 05:16:54 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/grandorder/comments/7mwc97/about_salem/

This is a pretty good summary of the story. (Obviously Salem spoilers, but also some spoilers for the other EoR stories, as well as the SE.RA.PH event and one of the GudaGuda events)

Alright, I think I understand most of that. Some of it seems a little contrived
Spoiler:
(Could SHEBA summon servants at will without Da Vinci noticing this entire time and just never bothered before?)
but the motivations make a lot more sense to me now.

The main thing I still don't really understand is
Spoiler:
the nature of Randolph Carter and Lavinia. Is the idea that Carter and the Whatleys really did exist historically but Carter created a fictionalized account of his monster adventures that Raum was drawing from or something?

« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 05:18:31 PM by commandercool »

Suwako Moriya

« Reply #700 on: December 10, 2019, 05:31:17 PM »
For the first thing,
Spoiler:
SHEBA auto-summoning servants in this manner was a failsafe Lev Lainur/Flauros put in himself in secret with the explicit goal of taking countermeasures against traitors to Goetia. Da Vinci probably didn't notice this because it had never come up before; Ra?m was the first Demon God Pillar to do anything that SHEBA construed as traitorous to Goetia's goals. Perhaps Da Vinci and/or Holmes will take note now, but perhaps not; Da Vinci will know the mechanics of Chaldea's summoning equipment but may not care enough to look into it since the Demon God Pillar threat is "officially" over, while Holmes is a sufficiently curious/suspicious person as to look into it no matter what but he may not have the necessary knowledge of the mechanics of the equipment to form a proper conclusion. Perhaps this will come up in the Lostbelts!

For the second thing,
Spoiler:
I admit I'm not entirely clear on that either. I had originally figured that the Whateleys were invented by Ra?m for the purposes of using Lavinia to further Abby's torture (since Ra?m explicitly identified Lovecraft's mythos as fiction, which the Fate universe VERY rarely does with material that is known to be fiction in our reality) and Abby's torture combined with her magical nature "speaking" the fictional Yog-Soggoth into reality, but if all that were true, there wouldn't have been an actual Randolph Carter after the fact, or, at the very least, it would be a coincidence of such a massive level that Fate simply doesn't ever do. My guess now is that the Lovecraft mythos originates from a sufficiently alternate dimension to the various Fate timelines that it might as well be fiction to them, but it is, in fact, reality somewhere else, and Abby happened to be a key to unlocking a path between the two dimensions. It is still possible that the Lavinia we saw was still purely a construct of Ra?m rather than an outsider invited to the play, though.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #701 on: December 11, 2019, 12:56:03 PM »
Welp, one of the randos on my Friends List already has a Lv 100 10/10/10 NP2 Abby :V
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #702 on: December 13, 2019, 06:38:07 AM »
Christmas 3 is upon us soon, and so will be part 2 of the eternal choice; Ereshkigal or Abagail (or Hokusai).

I still feel like they should have done Santa Alter(a) instead of using the untranslatable Hun/Sun/Santa joke.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #703 on: December 13, 2019, 07:17:55 AM »
Christmas 3 is upon us soon, and so will be part 2 of the eternal choice; Ereshkigal or Abagail (or Hokusai).
There's also another JAlter banner sometime early next year too.  Plus the New Year's fun too.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 07:27:15 AM by Aya Reiko »

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #704 on: December 13, 2019, 11:56:08 AM »
Clearly the solution is to chuck money at a Guaranteed SSR banner and :BlessRNG:

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #705 on: December 15, 2019, 02:43:38 PM »
HERE COMES A SPECIAL GIRL

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #706 on: December 16, 2019, 10:03:03 AM »
And that's zero for three on December banners. Ah well, Martha, Astolfo, and Herc are... okay consolation prizes, and Abby and Eresh will both get rate ups later next year.

Also, glad to see the translation team is still outputting memes. Uruk in Abyss, indeed.

Move eternally forward,

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #707 on: December 16, 2019, 10:21:53 AM »
Nothing really of note 'xcept a couple of 3* Event CE's on a single 10 roll.  Though I think I cashed out on my luck for now by landing Abby and OG Saber earlier.

Since I have more than enough Event-connected servants to make up for the lack of CE's, I'm not bothering to roll any further.  Gotta stockpile my luck for the GSSR and JAlter banners.

Those of you rolling for Eresh, don't forget to dance.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 10:26:15 AM by Aya Reiko »

qMyon

• Chill - just chill
  • Keepin' it vanilla smooth
« Reply #708 on: December 16, 2019, 10:57:53 AM »
Saved up 180 quartz for Eresh, and she came on the 4th 10-roll, with 3xCas Gil, Yan Qing, and an extra Helena in rolls before that to boot. I certainly made it out of this one very well. Best of luck to those who aren't rolling yet.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #709 on: December 16, 2019, 12:42:13 PM »
Ereshkigal came home on my 3rd 10-pull. Ended up doing 7 10-pulls total and the only other gold servant I got was Medusa Lancer (who was immediately used to NP2 my existing Medusa Lancer), which was mildly disappointing, but I got a bunch of gold event CEs so it's not all bad. Also, y'know, fuckin' Ereshkigal.

She's 4/8/6 Lv 90 with +1000/+1000 in stat boost Fou cards and a snowman drop CE if I'm on anyone's friend list!

« Reply #710 on: December 17, 2019, 06:07:22 AM »
So I find myself in a situation where I need 216 stakes and I only finished Shimousa just shortly before the event started, haven't done Salem yet.

This is definitely, by far, the greatest mat hell I have ever been in. It completely dwarfed the Dragon Fang Hell all in one swoop  :ohdear: I realize everybody needs that insane amount so of course its not just me, but damn lol why does she gotta need so many stakes

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #711 on: December 17, 2019, 01:27:46 PM »
She's 4/8/6 Lv 90 with +1000/+1000 in stat boost Fou cards and a snowman drop CE if I'm on anyone's friend list!

And NP2 now! Thanks summon tickets

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #712 on: December 17, 2019, 02:18:17 PM »
So I find myself in a situation where I need 216 stakes and I only finished Shimousa just shortly before the event started, haven't done Salem yet.

This is definitely, by far, the greatest mat hell I have ever been in. It completely dwarfed the Dragon Fang Hell all in one swoop  :ohdear: I realize everybody needs that insane amount so of course its not just me, but damn lol why does she gotta need so many stakes

Meanwhile I've been finding the ascension materials from this event store to be nearly worthless. Somehow every servant I own just needs the same handful of materials so when Octuplet Crystals, Chaos Claws, and Serpent Jewels aren't on offer I'm kind of just impatiently twiddling my thumbs. Fingers crossed for good farming nodes I guess.

I appreciate that this event is kind of hard. I've died a couple of times on the story missions. I was woefully unprepared for them granted and didn't have much trouble once I saw what I was up against, but still better than bulldozing a bunch of level 20 enemies. Better for me anyway, I know a few people who are starting FGO now because of the anime who are basically locked out of ascension materials for a while the same way I was when I started. FGO needs a welcome pack that gives a stack of each older material or something.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #713 on: December 18, 2019, 03:17:33 AM »
FGO needs a welcome pack that gives a stack of each older material or something.
They will.... eventually.

Angra Mainyu was very much a wake-up call to all the Masters who thought they could just blaze through the event. Turn 3 Verg Avesta means you absolutely need sufficient countermeasures.

EDIT: And my final, final 10-roll got me... Sanzang. NP2 Sanzang is actually useful to me, but god, 2spoopy4me.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 05:48:59 AM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »

Move eternally forward,

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #714 on: December 18, 2019, 04:56:49 PM »
Yeah I got killed by Angra the first time because I don't know he does. I even had a Mozart NP and a Merlin NP up that I could have used to waste two of my cards without dealing any damage (not to mention multiple forms of hard defense I didn't use), but instead I hit him with a bunch of Ishtar buster crits. Oops. :D

Has anyone else found Fragment Of 2004 to be a really excellent Mystic Code? It's quickly becoming my default choice. It's a great damage boost in boss fights and a great consistency boost in boss fights.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #715 on: December 19, 2019, 03:14:36 AM »
2004 is a really good Buster meme MC, especially paired with Merlin, since it covers two avenues of burst he doesn't (NP damage and star gather). The NP Gain Up is really just icing on the cake.

My good Buster Servants tend to already have one of those two already installed (and I generally don't use Merlin at all), so I generally don't use it much myself. Anniversary Blonde (Buster Up, on-demand stars, and Guts) typically see more use from me.

Lostbelt news:
Spoiler:
MOTHERFUCKING ORION IS A SERVANT AND SWOLE AS FUCK
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 03:19:09 AM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »

Move eternally forward,

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #716 on: December 22, 2019, 05:52:02 AM »
Did the Challenge Quest today. Led with Okita/Lizard Brave/Support Musashi with Astolfo and Ishtar Rider on the bench (as well as Tomoe Gozen for bond points). Needed to use one Command Seal on an extra Musashi NP, but otherwise it was a breeze, and honestly I probably could have avoided needing the Command Seal if I had taken it seriously and used Saberlot in the first-off-the-bench slot instead of Tomoe in the final bench slot.

There are no event-specific drops, so feel free to use whatever CEs you like. Single-target NP Sabers are definitely the way to go, though, with a couple of Riders on the bench to clean up afterward.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #717 on: December 22, 2019, 08:31:01 PM »
Man, Lancelot Saber is busted. I prefer him over most 5* Sabers. I would grail mine but I don't love his visual design. I'm all for Shimadoriru art, but Lancelot's rhombus torso is off-putting. He works great on arts teams obviously, but he's so wildly self-sufficient that you can basically just throw him on any team and Order Change him out once his skills are on cooldown. Or haste him with Atlas Uniform. There's something to be said for all of a character's skills being super linear, any points wasted on defense or team support aren't being used on using his NP every single turn forever!

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #718 on: December 23, 2019, 06:46:53 AM »
Did the Challenge Quest today. Led with Okita/Lizard Brave/Support Musashi with Astolfo and Ishtar Rider on the bench (as well as Tomoe Gozen for bond points). Needed to use one Command Seal on an extra Musashi NP, but otherwise it was a breeze, and honestly I probably could have avoided needing the Command Seal if I had taken it seriously and used Saberlot in the first-off-the-bench slot instead of Tomoe in the final bench slot.

There are no event-specific drops, so feel free to use whatever CEs you like. Single-target NP Sabers are definitely the way to go, though, with a couple of Riders on the bench to clean up afterward.
I led with Musashi/Saberlot/Support Nero Bride w/ Ozy/Kintoki/Eggplant in reserve.  Used two seals for an extra NP on Musashi and full heal on her to make sure LAlter goes down.

Abby has proved her worth versus the zerker rounds, even when she was underleveled.  So she gets extra head pats and pancakes.

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #719 on: December 26, 2019, 08:14:26 AM »
Christmas 2019 has ended.

The Prologue of Part 2 has begun.