Author Topic: (WIP) Heavenly Gathering of Cloud  (Read 10950 times)

(WIP) Heavenly Gathering of Cloud
« on: May 17, 2016, 12:08:00 PM »
Hello everyone!

As you may known, Heavenly Gathering of Cloud (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoFYYAZ3dg0&list=PL3tBsvvsFuHZJH7giHwVMNCtC52yoxxOE) is a famous music project that is beloved by most of Touhou fan for its great quality, and lots of them wished there's an actual game, not just a music project.

And now, I'm trying to make everyone's wishes come true. I'll try my best on creating an actual Touhou game based on this music project.

For now, I have finished the danmaku for the first boss, Mayle. Since she's a aquapony, she has a very fast speed (not to be confused with Aya). What software can I use to record this? (FRAPS has limit of 30 seconds, Camstudio is as lag as hell)

Also, there're a lot of picture that contain information about all the character (you can find them by some image search on google with the key "heavenly gathering of clouds"), but all of them are in Japanese. I would be very appreciated if someone help me translate those into English, since I'll need these information to create correct danmaku for each character.

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
Re: (WIP) Heavenly Gathering of Cloud
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 08:27:59 PM »
Took only 2 years for someone to actually start.

OBS is a good recording software.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 10:26:05 PM »
I'm curious to see how the game looks like currently, do you have any screenshots available of your progress...?

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 11:25:57 PM »
Took only 2 years for someone to actually start.

OBS is a good recording software.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll try that software.

I'm curious to see how the game looks like currently, do you have any screenshots available of your progress...?

I've just started this project some days ago, so there's a lot of stuff unfinished.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 11:33:26 PM »
I've just started this project some days ago, so there's a lot of stuff unfinished.

Even so, since you are ready to make a video, I would assume you would be able to provide some form of proof of concept through still images...

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 07:20:14 AM »
Stage 1 Boss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPezDNVWi8g

Sorry for the bad quality of the video. The GPU of my computer isn't strong enough to use neither OBS nor OBS Studio. I'm using Rylstim Screen Recorder as a temperated solution. (It's harder to find a good screen recorder than I thought)

KaiserKnuckle

• You better stop,
  • and think about what you're doing
    • Music interests and whatnot
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 02:31:36 AM »
I saw this just now, and felt like adding a reccomendation since you seem to be using your own spellcard names (not nitpicking, don't worry) compared to those that are shown in the book that comes with the album.

The spellcard names (while mostly untranslated) are available at the Chinese Touhou Wiki. Go down to the tracklist, and the blue links will lead to the character articles, alongside their Japanese and Chinese spellcard names, as shown here;

Apologies if this is any type of hinderance.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 06:25:50 AM »
I saw this just now, and felt like adding a reccomendation since you seem to be using your own spellcard names (not nitpicking, don't worry) compared to those that are shown in the book that comes with the album.

The spellcard names (while mostly untranslated) are available at the Chinese Touhou Wiki. Go down to the tracklist, and the blue links will lead to the character articles, alongside their Japanese and Chinese spellcard names, as shown here;

Apologies if this is any type of hinderance.

Thanks a lot for this resource!

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 11:06:04 AM »
A new HUD I made for this game.

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 07:34:53 PM »
Some advice based on your video:

The first nonspell has pretty obvious gaps. Deal with them in some way.
Since the second nonspell has the boss moving below the player often, you might want to reduce the HP for that attack; otherwise things would get tedious. You'll also want to reduce the first spell's HP, to a lesser extent.
It's also unusual for a stage 1 boss to have a survival spell either.

I also recommend working on the package script early, since doing so will reduce the trouble you encounter later on. Don't forget to think about survival and scoring mechanics as well.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 04:25:56 AM »
The first nonspell has pretty obvious gaps. Deal with them in some way.

Can you show me that gap?

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 09:44:34 AM »
Can you show me that gap?

Pretty visible at 0:10.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 12:14:16 PM »
Pretty visible at 0:10.

At the first nonspell, the ring of scale bullet aimed randomly, so in theory, there's no safezone.

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 02:51:55 PM »
Finally, I found a good recording software, called XSplit BroadCaster.

I also found a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MwdMDk_Rtk) that may contain some good information. Unfortunately, it's in Japanese. Can anyone help me translate the dialog in the video? Thanks in advance.

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 02:38:15 PM »
More progress on stage 1. The danmaku for midboss and boss is now completed.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=y68A_X7Q-aM

I'm not good at drawing, so I'll need help with the boss sprite and boss portrait (when dialog-ing and declaring spell card).

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 05:26:47 PM »
More progress on stage 1. The danmaku for midboss and boss is now completed.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=y68A_X7Q-aM

I'm not good at drawing, so I'll need help with the boss sprite and boss portrait (when dialog-ing and declaring spell card).

Excuse me, you forgot to publish the video the link to the video is wrong.

Edit: found the video.

First of all, the sound effects are too loud and overpower the BGM. I had this problem too, by the way.

And I hope you can run the game at 60fps (if without recording). And that you're planning to implement a proper scoring system.

For the survival card, I'd suggest making the bullets appear more often as time goes on. Maybe reduce the timer to 20 seconds from 25.

Last of all, make sure that you get permission from the original creators of HGoC!!! We don't want another 東方大戦闘 incident.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 06:03:04 PM by Uruwi »
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 05:39:23 PM »
The original link in his post contains 'edit' in the URL instead of 'watch'. Nothing to do with publishing.

Btw, what is a 東方大戦闘 incident anyway?

XvSpitFirevX

• ForsakenSpitfire
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 06:51:09 PM »
Listened to the stuff on the YT link, I really liked them.

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 01:17:16 AM »
Excuse me, you forgot to publish the video the link to the video is wrong.

Edit: found the video.
Last of all, make sure that you get permission from the original creators of HGoC!!! We don't want another 東方大戦闘 incident.

Oh wait, I must get permission from original creators, too? I thought I'm going to make a free game, so I won't have problem with pirating. So if I keep making stuff without permission, I will get a court summon? How can I get permission from original creators?

Also, what is the "東方大戦闘 incident"?

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 04:55:53 AM »
Oh wait, I must get permission from original creators, too? I thought I'm going to make a free game, so I won't have problem with pirating. So if I keep making stuff without permission, I will get a court summon? How can I get permission from original creators?

Also, what is the "東方大戦闘 incident"?

Technically it is illegal to use music that someone else created without their permission. Same goes with dialogue and images. You might also get in trouble if you use other peoples' characters willy-nilly. You might not get a court summon, but on the other end, given Japan's issues with the death penalty, you might want to play it safe with copyright.  :V

I was going to say "just look for the contact info on the HGoC webpage" but it's not too easy to find. If I'm not mistaken, it says that まっきー is the one who organized the project. After some clicking around, I found this page with their e-mail address. Ideally you should be contacting them in Japanese, but if you don't know that language well enough then you might try using English to see if they understand.

As for the incident, feel free to read this thread.

Edit: disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, much less your lawyer. Please see a lawyer if you're still not sure.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 05:01:48 AM by Uruwi »
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 09:30:55 AM »
It doesn't matter whether your game is free or not, you have to get permission for everything that will be used in your game that wasn't made by you. Using music from a CD without permission is also piracy. Only royalty-free content and content offered under a free license can be used without permission, or if it's stated somewhere by the author that it's ok to use his work.

You probably wont get sued if you decide to continue your project without getting permission, but doing so can be seen as disrespectful and may stop similar music CD projects from happening in the future.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 09:41:38 AM by Romantique Tp »

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 12:07:20 PM »
Is the following permission-getting letter OK?

"Dear まっきー,
I listened to your "東方天流宮 ~ Heavenly Gathering of Clouds" Touhou music project, and I really love it. So I started to make a free fan-made Touhou game based on the music project. This game will use music, characters and story from your music project, so first, I will need your permission to use these material in my game.

I understand that you are the owner of the copyright in this music projects, including all the songs, characters, story and dialog. I am hoping that you will allow me to use these material without any charge. If this is not possible, please let me know what fee would be required for this use. I will put a disclaimer in my game that I did not own the music projects.

Thank you for your help with this matter and I look forward to hearing from you.

Very truly yours,

(My name)"

Drake

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2016, 01:13:54 PM »
There are some pretty key misunderstandings there. If nobody else gets to it I'll have a better response when I wake up. In any case, this definitely isn't as serious as Fluffy is making it out to be, but you'd still be using others' content and that requires some level of agreement between you all. Using the IP of the circle like characters and story is slightly different too.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2016, 09:52:00 PM »
Is the following permission-getting letter OK?

"Dear まっきー,
I listened to your "東方天流宮 ~ Heavenly Gathering of Clouds" Touhou music project, and I really love it. So I started to make a free fan-made Touhou game based on the music project. This game will use music, characters and story from your music project, so first, I will need your permission to use these material in my game.

I understand that you are the owner of the copyright in this music projects, including all the songs, characters, story and dialog. I am hoping that you will allow me to use these material without any charge. If this is not possible, please let me know what fee would be required for this use. I will put a disclaimer in my game that I did not own the music projects.

Thank you for your help with this matter and I look forward to hearing from you.

Very truly yours,

(My name)"

Why are you asking us?

He obviously asked a question to the community. Please don't speak for 'us'. You're not the only forum user roaming here. Either be helpful or don't post please. -Hele
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 08:33:21 AM by Helepolis »
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2016, 12:30:53 AM »
Why are you asking us?

I want to make sure that there is no mistake in the letter, so the chance that I can get permission is higher.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2016, 09:23:21 AM »
Drake probably fell asleep quite well so I'll respond.

Not quite sure why words like 'lawyer', 'sue', 'court summon', 'trouble' are being tossed around scaring people unnecessary. The point Fluffy (now nicknamed as Uruwi it seems), makes is valid but not that dramatic. Especially not for you.

Simply put: You need to request permission when you want to use and publish your game which contains materials made by others (sprites, images, sfx). If the author provided "usage conditions", read and follow these. Otherwise when in doubt: Ask the author by PM, Twitter, E-mail etc. If the author is Japanese, he might not be able to communicate in English. Keep this in mind.

If you don't get a response, then don't publish. Never assume 'no response' means 'there are no objections'. This is a false assumption in general.

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2016, 09:40:56 AM »
There are two emails I found in author's webpage:

tekito_niアットマークmsn.com

「アットマーク」を「@」にして下さい

I tried both of the email, but it's seemed that Gmail can't recognize any of them. What should I do now?

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2016, 10:51:26 AM »
There are two emails I found in author's webpage:

tekito_niアットマークmsn.com

「アットマーク」を「@」にして下さい

I tried both of the email, but it's seemed that Gmail can't recognize any of them. What should I do now?

Those aren't two emails but in fact the lower line is telling you to replace アットマーク (at mark) on the top line with the actual @ symbol. That is the one actual email address.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 10:54:52 AM by ReimiliaScarlet »

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2016, 02:12:01 PM »
Those aren't two emails but in fact the lower line is telling you to replace アットマーク (at mark) on the top line with the actual @ symbol. That is the one actual email address.

Thanks a lot!