Author Topic: Battlefield recruitment for fun and profit! Let's Play Fire Emblem!  (Read 40029 times)

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
Re: Battlefield recruitment for fun and profit! Let's Play Fire Emblem!
« Reply #210 on: June 27, 2010, 02:04:41 AM »
Thankfully, your memory is a bit off, then.  Uhai doesn't move.  He'd be completely overpowered if he did.  (And keep in mind he gets a Killing Edge on Hector Mode...)

Actually, I could swear I remembered him moving before too. And I remember someone else was playing through it, talking about it on IRC, said he remembered Uhai moving too... Perhaps he only moves under certain circumstances?

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #211 on: July 15, 2010, 12:31:24 PM »

they venture deep into the forest?s heart. Lyn moves in utmost silence, cautious not to alert any hidden enemy. However, following on her path, a new Black Fang shadow appears.

This would appear to be the place of which Uhai spoke.

So if we move west from here, we?ll reach the Dragon?s Gate, right?

OK, let?s go!

??

Lord Eliwood, are you well? You have a pallid look about you?

?Oh, it?s you, Marcus.

Is something amiss?

You heard what Erik said when we were in Lahus, Marcus? What do you think?

That Lord Elbert was involved in a rebellion plot?

Yes.

It must be a mistake. Your father is loyal to Lycia. He?d never break his oath.

You?re right. I can?t believe he?d be involved in this conspiracy. Yet?why do I feel so anxious? When I think of my father, I can?t catch my breath.

Lord Eliwood, do not mistake your feelings. That feeling that strikes you when you think of Lord Elbert? It springs not from a distrustful heart. It comes from concern for your father, who needs your help. He is involved in something larger than all of us. This is all happening so fast; it?s easy to lose sight of that.

I see? You? You?re right?. Thank you, Marcus. I feel a bit better.

I?m glad to be of service. Bah. The air on this accursed isle? It?s disquieting.

?It feeds the despair already lurking in our hearts. If you hadn?t been here for me, Marcus, I?

Eh? Something is happening ahead.

It?s Hector. Let?s go!

Stop yelling at me! It?s because of that clattering armor you?re wearing! I?m just saying we have to move cautiously. Nothing more!

I know! And I?m saying that I?m doing my best!

Quiet, both of you! Armor or no, if you two keep shouting like that, every enemy from here to Pherae itself will hear us!

Ah?

Sorry.

We must proceed with caution. I can?t believe Uhai was the only Black Fang in these woods.

Lord Aion, we?ve received word from the Pegasus unit. Targets are approaching from the far side of that mountain to the east.

Hmph? Uhai must have failed after all. I?m not surprised. We?re talking about the shallow wisdom of a Sacaen nomad, after all. He possessed a certain rough talent, but no mind for planning. Our units are in place, are they not?

Yes.

Ha ha? Good. Very good. In confined spaces like this, my thunder magic devastates. The battle has already been won? I cannot lose. Combat is an equation. Those with intelligence have a natural advantage. Those imbeciles will not reach the Dragon?s Gate. Never. I will bury them here in this forest!

??

Ninian? Are you all right?

?Beware!......The enemy comes!

Enemy?

Oof!! We won?t reach the Dragon?s Gate if we stay on the defensive. Hit their commander, and attack the ruins!

Here we are, back again. Our map looks like so:

We are being forced to go around that mountain range to get to the boss. Why is this a problem?

That?s the problem. The boss will not hesitate to nuke us with his long-range artillery as we plow through his flunkies. Fortunately, Bolting has a weakness ? it only has 5 charges. I?ll have him waste his charges on a high-Resistance unit, and then attack with impunity.

First things first:

Our lineup! Then?

Boosts all around! And with that, we?re ready. Let?s go!

The enemy commander is readying his troops beyond that mountain. I can fly over the mountain and direct you, but? Getting too close could prove to be dangerous. Bear that in mind when you give me my orders.

Right, first of all, I send Lucius to start tanking the Bolting attacks from the boss.

Raven will keep him company. Fiora takes the lead to beat up the enemy mages up front. In addition, look at these fellows:

I have a feeling they?ll be coming around to my rear. I?ll leave Rebecca to take them. Everyone else follows Fiora.

Enemy turn, a few mages move up to attack Merlinus, but don?t do much damage. The boss doesn?t feel like using Bolting on Lucius, so I?ll have to change strategy. First of all, however, those mages have to go:

Florina visits that curious-looking temple just south:

Don?t be frightened. I am not your enemy.

Huh?

My name is Renaud. I?m on a pilgrimage.

What?! A bishop?! Please forgive me! I didn?t know, but my behavior was?

What are you doing here? You don?t appear to be with the dark-robed group I saw earlier.

?We are here to fight that group.

To fight? There is no reason one such as you?

It?s for very dear people? I am protecting someone. Please?Your Excellency, forgive me. I?I?

I?m sure that I cannot convince you to lay down your arms. That being the case, I give you this.

What is it?

It may help you live longer. Even if you face the misery of defeat in combat, you might yet find another road if you but live.

Th-Thank you. Truly, thank you.

May the forces of goodness surround you always.

Thank you. Blessing upon you, too, Your Excellency.

Got another one. Who gets +2 Luck? You decide!

Enemy turn, the Pegasus knights come in close, one attacking Merlinus, and a Shaman breaks himself on Canas.

Obviously, those Pegasus knights have to go. I send a squad to clean them up, with the rest of my group continuing towards the boss.

And on the enemy turn?

Wha-What?! The magic power of this place? The source is?distorted? I?I can?t use any of my magic!

Lord Aion! Disaster! A magic seal!

A magic? That good-for-nothing has shown his face?! Curses? I?d not forseen this!!

So what the hell?s going on? Let?s have a look:

A bringer of silence. His identity is unknown.

Curiously, we do not actually have to defeat him to win the mission. Moreover, defeating him is going to be quite hard in the first place. But I?ll get to that later. First, I have another enemy group to take care of. The enemy mages are cannon fodder, what with being in the magic seal area. Fiora?s going to go get some free XP, while the rest of the group catch up.

Continued in next post!

Fightest

« Reply #212 on: July 15, 2010, 12:31:44 PM »
Continued from previous post!

A few more enemies later?

And we are here. Now, I?m going to have a bash at Kishuna, but even getting to him is challenging ? those are level 15 Snipers and Knights. Let?s see how it goes.

Raven gets a finishing shot on a Sniper that I mob. Not doing too badly:

Hector finishes off another Knight:

Florina gets a level from chipping away at the Sniper.

And Dart levels from finishing him off.

I?m ready to start wailing away at Kishuna.

Aaaand that?s what happens if you don?t succeed in one turn ? he books, taking his magic seal with him.

Thunder, hear my cry!

His Bolting misses Dart. I gather my troops for the final push.

On his turn, Aion continues firing his long-range nukes. I missed taking a few images with his attack on Dart, so here?s one against Matthew. It?s quite an impressive attack:

Unfortunately, that?s the last we?ll see of him.

And Eliwood seizes the Gate for the win!

Yes, somehow.

Eliwood, I?m sorry. I said things I shouldn?t have.

No, I was shouting without thinking. I was wrong. Forgive me.

No, it was my fault. If I hadn?t?

It?s no one?s fault. There?s an eerie power here.

Eerie power?

I don?t feel it any longer, but? It was meant to make us uneasy. Was it connected to that area where magic was nullified?

Now that you mention it, I was so irritable? I couldn?t let even the smallest thing go by without complaining? What could that have been? The Black Fang couldn?t use magic either. So it wasn?t an ally of theirs?

Who knows?

It?s gone now, so no sense in worrying about it. We should concentrate on pushing forward.

Hmm. Let?s make haste to the Dragon?s Gate.

Next time on Fire Emblem: Here Be Dragons

Pick our team!

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #213 on: July 15, 2010, 02:39:21 PM »
Hooray, updates!

Couple of disappointing levels for Fiora there...

Anyway, Dart is a good contender for that Goddess Icon.  Him or Lucius, or possibly even Hector.  I see no problems with our current team...you might want to drop Fiora for Sain just for the next chapter, as both survivability and mobility are concerns, but perhaps not.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
« Reply #214 on: July 15, 2010, 11:15:12 PM »
Yay, you're back!

I actually don't remember that magic seal on my playthrough. Does something trigger it, or did I just not get this far? And what happens if you kill him?

theshirn

« Reply #215 on: July 16, 2010, 02:55:14 AM »
Yay, you're back!

I actually don't remember that magic seal on my playthrough. Does something trigger it, or did I just not get this far? And what happens if you kill him?
The magic seal automatically shows up on the third turn of this chapter or so.  Killing him just nets you some paltry experience, but in Hector Mode, if you got Nils up to level 7 in Lyn's tale and kill Kishuna here it unlocks 19xx.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Fightest

« Reply #216 on: September 23, 2010, 12:21:02 PM »

He is greeted by an extraordinary sight. A building unlike any he?s ever seen. It was clearly not wrought by human hands? It is waiting?waiting for the masters who abandoned it centuries past. Massive beyond belief, these ancient ruins have nothing to do with humankind. Eliwood has arrived. He has found the Dragon?s Gate.

??

What?s wrong, Ninian? You?re trembling.

?This place?so frightening. Something?powerful?

Good to see that Ninian hasn?t let off her abuse of the ellipsis all this time.

It?s her power, isn?t it?

Her power? What?s that?

Ninian has the ability to sense impending danger. Her memory may be gone, but her power remains.

What is it you sense, Ninian?

Something awful will happen if I?m here. Ah!!

Ninian!? Snap out of it!

This place? No? I?I?

She?s getting worse! Let?s get her away from here!

Now that she?s back, she?ll not be allowed to fly away again.

Who are you?

We meet at last. I am Ephidel. Pleased to make your acquaintance.

You?re Ephidel? I?ve been looking forward to this.

?Gallantly spoken. Of course, I know who you are. Marquess Ositia?s younger brother, Lord Hector.

??

By the way, the gift I left for you in the forest? Was it to your liking? The corpse of that filthy red-haired traitor?

Monster! Stay right there! I?m going to crush the life out of you with my bare hands.

Now I see! She was an Ositian spy, wasn?t she? Don?t worry, she did not suffer. It only took one blow.

Die!!

This girl is needed for my master?s ceremony.

Ninian!

Lord Eliwood! Let me go!

Blast!

As you can see?

Oho! The ritual can take place at last!

Yes. However, we have an infestation of mice to deal with? They should be scurrying in here momentarily. They must be dealt with before the ritual takes place. May I entrust this task to you?

Of course! Who do you think I am? I am Darin, Marquess Lahus! Ruler of the world!

Very well, I leave it to you.

Ruler of the world. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Shall we prepare for the ritual?

Nergal!!

Does it gall you, Marquess Pherae? It?s destiny. There could be no other outcome. Despite all your mischief, the girl was fated to return to me.

My son? Where is Eliwood?

He?s still alive. Of course, it?s only a matter of time before the Black Fang finishes him.

?Nergal! Prepare to die!!

Eh?

??

?That was a surprise. How did he undo his bonds? Heh heh? why did you not heed my warnings, Lord Elbert? You cannot alter destiny. Stop this foolishness.

?Urrgh?grraa?

Jaffar, take the girl and Marquess Pherae to the far chamber. I will begin preparations for the ritual.

Thy will be done.

?

Where is my father?

Inside?he?s farther inside. You will never see him, though. Even if you break through here, the path you seek is guarded by Marquess Lahus. Will you not withdraw? It?s too late for that, isn?t it? You will never leave here alive.

And we?re back! I cannot guarantee for how long, but, for now, it?s Fire Emblem time! We?re being taunted by all sorts of unsavoury sorts, and the only solution to that problem is to stab it repeatedly. So, let?s see what we?re up against!

Quite a sizeable map, with a whole bunch of enemies and goodies thrown around.

This is our lineup, along with Sain there at the bottom. Dart gets the Goddess Icon.

And with that, we?re ready to go!

That traitor, Lahus? He harmed Lord Hausen, caused grief to Lady Lyndis? As a true knight of Caelin, I will make him pay! Leave him to me!!

Quite straightforward for the moment ? our troops are strong enough to sweep the enemy units as long as we are careful about weapon triangles and not being stupid. I spread out so as to maximize killing potential. I use Matthew and any spare Door Keys to clear my way of those pesky doors.

Oh, Hector. Thank you for reminding me why you are on the team. Lyn and Florina get some catching-up done. They haven?t spoken all summer.

Lady Lyndis! I?m well, thank you.

Good, I was worried?But don?t go out alone if you can. You never know where archers might be lurking.

Yes.

Are you carrying enough healing salve? Your weapons?are they all in order?

Eh? Well? Let?s see? A vulnerary? And, um? My lance is here?

That bit makes me laugh every time.

And?eh?

It?s all right, Florina. Take your time. I?m here should anything happen.

But, Lady Lyndis? It should be the other way around! I?m here to protect you?

Don?t worry about me, I?ll be fine. Didn?t I always look out for you back on the plains? Remember?

Of course, but?

No buts! Let?s head out, Florina.

Ah! Lady Lyndis!

On the enemy turn, however?

What am I doing? Is that a proper greeting? If you don?t know me, you must be a new recruit, yes?

Uh? I was assigned to the Dragon?s Gate about one month ago.

I thought as much. I am Legault. You?ve heard my name, yes?

Legault?Ah?You? You?re the Hurricane? Second in ability to none but the Four Fangs?

Yes, yes. That?s me.

I? I beg your pardon.

No worries.

?time to fill my purse with treasure and leave the Black Fang behind. No sense in staying on a sinking ship. No sense at all.

Thread title sense?tingling! I?ve got to get to him before he steals all the goodies!

Down below, Matthe and Fiora gang up on the Sniper:

Dammit Matthew. Now I?ve got to get your sorry ass out of there.

I pull off Erk from the main group to help with the Sniper.

The rest push northwards. Sain prepares flanking shenanigans.

By the end of the turn, I?m in a pretty solid position. Next turn I?ll be ready to take on one of the bosses of this chapter:

Enemy turn goes well ? Sniper goes after Erk, who doubles in return.

He?s?really lagging behind on those levels.

Rebecca kills an attacking Nomad so fast I missed the screenshot. Got a level, though.

On my turn, I have Fiora drop Matthew on the treasure chest so he can start looting soon. The rest of the group keep going like nothing has happened.

Cheeky bastard that I am, I put Florina in plain view of enemy Nomads. Not like they can hurt her. Plus, it allows us to bash through the wall and bring Sain, with his Horseslayer, to bear on the cavalry-heavy enemy lines.

I skip a turn, and let Sain loose:

Heh. Good times.

Florina continues indulging in irony.

Matthew gets to work on the chest he?s been sitting on:

Ah. Now we?re cooking with napalm. Brave weapons are a unique class of weapon that hits twice per attack. They break very quickly, as each hit uses a charge, but they are absolutely devastating when they are used. I?ll have to get it to Rebecca pronto. Speaking of Rebecca?

On the enemy turn, a bunch of reinforcements spawn in. Nothing we can?t handle.

Continued in next post!

Fightest

« Reply #217 on: September 23, 2010, 12:22:47 PM »

Look at this, however:

The troubadour has intentionally placed herself in the path of Sain, who is now unable to ride out into the front courtyard and continue his murder spree. Florina is unable to kill her in a single turn. Quite clever, on the AI’s part. Still…

More enemies spawn on the enemy turn, and Legault runs out into the front courtyard, no doubt to get at the treasure chests on the west side of the map.

Who’s a little mass-murdering monstrousity? I’ve heard people say that arrows turn away from Florina from sheer terror.

The boss takes the bait, and goes for Sain. Swing and a miss, opening him up to be taken down.

I’ve heard say that Sain hovers three feet above the ground, and only keeps a horse under him so as not to unnerve everyone around.

Fiora and Matthew, in the meantime, head off on a secret mission…

The rest of the group try to catch up with Legault. I thought that Hector could talk to him, but it turns out that no, no he cannot. Hector can only kill, so I have Priscilla drop Eliwood off near Legault.

Oh look, Eliwood gains a level.

Not bad, actually. Erk kills some archers near the south-east, and gains a level off them, too:

Several things proceed to occur:

Two Pegasus knights spawn in. They could give Merlinus some trouble, so I send Lyn back to cover him.

Eliwood catches up to Legault.

I must thank you for coming so far.

What!? You’re a…

Mmm… To be accurate, I would say a former Black Fang member.

Black Fang!!

Metal Gear!

Ha, no! “Former” Black Fang. Now I’m simply a thief.

Huh? So you’re not my foe, is that what you’re saying?

Correct. So let’s pretend we never saw each other.

Hold on!

Hm?

If you’re not my enemy, may I ask for your aid?

Me? Help you?

I want to know about the Black Fang… Please.

This is a surprise. Are you really going to battle the Black Fang?

Yes.

Your enemy is not Brendan Reed, but a horrible man named Nergal.

Yes, I know this already.

You’re quite plucky. I like you! However, I know almost nothing of the current Black Fang. If you still want my aid…

I do! Thank you. My name’s Eliwood.

I’m Legault. I’ll help you as long as I feel safe.

Legault joins us! Let’s have a look at him.

A former Black Fang once known as Hurricane.

Legault is a Thief, much like Matthew. His stats, however, are strictly superior to Matthew’s, which, unfortunately, phases poor Matthew out, as we will rarely need two thieves.

Our team chats some more:

Huh? Are you talking to me?

Oh, uhh…

Ah, a case of mistaken identity? Forget it. No bother. Now get lost.

I’m sorry… From behind, you look just like my brother who ran away from home.

…What was his name?

Dan… His name was Dan.

Hmm…Don’t know him.

What is your name?

I’m Dart! Mate on the Davros, vessel of the feared pirates of Fargus!!

P-Pirates!?

…Hey, now that’s the reaction  like to see!! You don’t just go walking up to any man you see and take his arm, missie!

…Dart…

Could always just ask him to remove his headband. Hair colour is a pretty defining genetic feature in Fire Emblem.

In other news, that thief over there looks like he has something useful. Also he’s started nicking things from chests, and I can’t have that. So I do some thief-hopping:

Fiora also takes a potshot at a Fighter, and gets a lucky critical hit, leveling her up.

Florina then takes Matthew all the way up to the enemy thief, who will no doubt let his greed get the best of him and try to steal from the other chest, too.

Sain finishes off the other Fighter before he can do any damage.

Well, look at that:

Dirty coward. Come back here with what’s rightfully mine!

No more useful, he is offered as a sacrifice to Florina, lest she turn her anger on us.

That’s better. Another Guiding Ring, for another one of our mages!

Back near base, Lyn tears into the Pegasus knights.

Florina gets pegged by a Poison lance by one of the Knights. I’m surprised they didn’t go for Matthew, as he is most certainly a better target. Oh well.

I placed Hector near the entrance of the main structure up north with a Handaxe to bait out the Shamans there. It worked.

Over the next few turns, I move my troops here and there to prepare for the attack on Darin.

NOTHING SUSPICIOUS

GOING ON HERE

The Secret Shop. There are a few hidden around the map on certain levels starting from this one. They can only be accessed by a unit holding the Member Card, and they sell really good stuff. I sell off a bunch of loot to stock up on these here Killer weapons.

With that out of the way, I go stab at Darin.

I couldn’t care less if you’ve a grudge against Ositia. I’ll put up with your treachery no longer!

Heh heh heh… Ositia is no longer my main concern… Nor is the whole of Lycia… The only goal worthy of my attention is the entire world!

You’re mad!!

Ephidel! Come to me!! Your master… calls you! I am the ruler… of…the…world…

Hector finishes off the remaining units on the map, mostly because I wanted that lootable Short Spear.

I’ve heard say that Hector doesn’t need to eat or sleep. Hunger and fatigue cannot get past his armour.

After a bit of back-and-forth, Matthew comes to the other Secret shop, loaded with gemstones.

Those Blades are amazing, but the real treasure is Physic – a heal staff with a long range, making our units very difficult to hurt indeed.

With all my shopping done, I seize the throne to end the chapter.

Consumed by his own lust… Pitiful fool.

…Lord Darin.

C’mon, Eliwood! This is no time for sentiment.

Your father needs you!

…Let’s go!

Father! Father!? It’s me! Eliwood!! I’ve come to save you!... Father?

It’s dark in here. Can’t see a thing…

Ah!! Father! Where are you?

Back there! Eliwood!! His voice is coming from back there!!

Continued in next post!

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 12:30:05 PM by Fightest »

Fightest

« Reply #218 on: September 23, 2010, 12:25:25 PM »

Ah! Father! You?You?re all right?

Eliwood? Wait! For-Forget me! Take that girl and flee!

??

That girl? She?s the key to the Dragon?s Gate. Hurry! Go, before Nergal notices you!

Ninian! This way! We must flee!

??

Something?s wrong with her? Yet we?ve no time to hesitate.

Eliwood! I?ve got your father! You take Ninian!

I understand!

I?m going to move you a little. Be strong.

Hector?you came, too? ?Thank you.

Don?t worry about that. Come, let?s leave this place.

Eliwood! Hector!! Hurry! This way!! Ah!!

When did you??

What!?

That man?is dangerous. You cannot defeat him on your own.

Father, there?s no time. This danger must be faced.

?Be a good boy, and listen to your father, young master Eliwood.

Ephidel!!

Even among the Black Fang, this man is feared for his skill? You are no match for him, not even as a group.... You?ve done well, Jaffar. That is all. Return to Biran and begin your next assignment.

??

Hear my word! I have an invitation from my master. I honor of your hard-fought arrival, he?s prepared a special show for you.

Stop it! You cannot release the dragons!!!

Father? What?s all this about?

?You will know shortly. At the expense of your father?s life!

Father! What?s wrong? Father!

Lord Elbert! Hold on!

Huh? ?Ninian?

Pow?pow?er??power?

Gahaaa!

Father!!!

?Gate?Open?gate?

Whoa! What?s?What?s this rumbling!?

Unh! I can barely keep my feet!

Nergal?What?What?s happening!?

Come?to me?

Ah? No?It isn?t?

Is that?truly???a dragon?

Ha ha ha ha ha! Yes! Use all your strength! Squeeze every drop from your body! You will call dragons!

Who?s there?!

Nils!

Ninian! Come to your senses! You must not do what they want!

?Ni???Nils?

Nils? Not now! Grrr?Ephidel! Stop him!!

Desist, Nils! The power? It runs wild!!

Ninian!!

???Nils?

Here! Hurry!! The dragon is crumbling. Everyone flee!!

??

Lord Nergal! Lord Nergal! Please??!!! Guwaaaaaaahhh!!!!!!

?

?Something?happened.

Is it?gone?

No! I?ve failed! Nils, you whelp! If not for your interference??Come! Both of you!

What? No!

Never! We will not follow you!!

Ninian! Nils!

Eh!!

What!?...Impossible?Not?by your hand?

?I told you. I will?oppose?you always??

?Why?won?t?you?die? Nnn?

Father!!

?Eliwood. Be prepared. He will return?

All right, but for now? Let?s leave this island? Let?s go home.

No, my son? I?m done here. You, Eliwood? You must finish this.

Don?t say that! Mother is waiting in Pherae?She?s waiting for you, Father!

Ah? Eleanora? She will be cross with me. Eliwood? Your mother?I?m sorry? Tell her? I?m?sorry?

Father?

No?Please, not now? Not after all we?ve done to find you again?Father? Please? Open your eyes??

Next time on Fire Emblem: Otzy I Deti.

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
« Reply #219 on: September 23, 2010, 03:20:56 PM »
Good to see you're back!
Quote from: Fightest
I?ve heard say that Hector doesn?t need to eat or sleep. Hunger and fatigue cannot get past his armour.
And this may have been the most awesome sentence I've read all week.

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #220 on: September 23, 2010, 03:49:09 PM »
Arrows do turn away from Florina in terror though. What do you think happens every time they miss? :V

Fightest

« Reply #221 on: September 23, 2010, 04:04:44 PM »
Arrows do turn away from Florina in terror though. What do you think happens every time they miss? :V

It's a little-known fact that, after battle, Florina eats every single arrow that hit her. So really, the arrow that miss do so out of self-preservation.

Fightest

« Reply #222 on: September 24, 2010, 11:12:35 AM »

as well as their painful farewell. After escaping the Dread Isle, they return to the port city of Badon. Eliwood remains silent for the duration of their passage. He sits cradling his father?s cold hand as if to warm him back to life.

Yes?

That?s good? Long time, no see, Nils. You?ve grown, haven?t you?

?Is it really you, Lyndis? It seems like it?s been so long.

Even though it?s only been a year since I saw you last?

So much has happened since we left you and Caelin.

Hey, care to talk about things the rest of us can follow?

Hmph. Who?s he?

This is Hector. He?s Marquess Ositia?s brother. Don?t let his attitude fool you. He acts mean, but he?s decent enough.

?Acts mean? seems pretty mean to me!

Heehee? And you might remember this one. He?s?

You?re Elbert?s son, aren?t you? Your red hair, gentle eyes, and even voice. You?re just like him.

Where did you meet my father?

At the Dragon?s Gate. He set us free after we?d been captured. We escaped in a small boat, but I was thrown out in a storm. When I woke up, I was back on Valor. For a time, I hid in the ruins by myself. Then?I sensed something really dangerous. When I raced to the Dragon?s Gate, I? I saw everything.

?Nils.

When we pulled Ninian from the boat, she?d lost her memory. I can?t believe we brought her right back to her captors. What a horrible thing to do??. I?m sorry.

Lady Lyn? Lady Lyn, you did nothing wrong?? When Nils fell overboard, I didn?t know what to do? I became lost within myself. If only I?d been stronger???All of this could have been avoided? I am?truly?sorry.

?Ninian?s power is greater than mine, but it costs her physical and emotional strength??. Nergal exploited that?weakness?

?Ninian?Nils?

?Was he after you because you have the power to call dragons?

?I think it?s because we can open the Dragon?s Gate. Just calling them? Nergal can do that on his own.

Are you serious?

Yes, but it requires a tremendous amount of quintessence.

Quintessence?

That?s what Nergal called it. The substance of the human spirit? Power. Energy. The essence of life itself? Nergal, he stole this quintessence.

Stop making me type that word!

?What happens to those whose quintessence is stolen?

Dammit, Hector!

?They?They die?

??

Neither Ninian not I have that power. Lyn knows. We only have our special power? Anyway, Nergal needed to gather a large amount of quintessence. So he sent his henchman, Ephidel, to get close to Marquess Lahus. He sought to plant the seeds of war in Darin?s power-hungry heart.

?To what end?

It seems the quintessence in each person varies in strength. A person of strong mind and body has hundreds of times more energy than the average person.

?!

It sounds like there aren?t many people like that, though. It took too long for Nergal to find people with enough strength. Although it would take time, Nergal said the easiest way to get that much quintessence was by starting a war.

?So he planned to make up for quality with quantity? Is that it? Black-hearted fiend! Are all men nothing but pawns to him?

?Ephidel brought Elbert to the Dragon?s Gate. He said he?d found the ideal source they had sought. Nergal?s plans for war had been stopped, and yet?he was happy. He?d taken so much energy from the knights traveling with Elbert. He was sure he?d get even better quintessence from Elbert?

Nils!

Oh, I?m sorry? Lord Eliwood.

?When I found my father at the Dragon?s Gate, I knew his knights were no longer alive?

Eliwood?

?Your father told us that he had a son. He said you were blessed with natural fighting ability. But he also told us you were compassionate and disdained fighting. He told us that his son would be a better ruler than he was.

??

He told us that he would sooner sacrifice himself than see his homeland, Lycia, embroiled in the flames of war.

?That?s?

When we?d lost all hope at the Dragon?s Gate, your father always spoke to us of happy things? Well, he mainly spoke of his cherished son and his dear wife, but Ninian and I? We loved him very much. His stories about his family??They saved us.

Oh, Fa--?Father???

??

?Hector?

We should let him be alone for a while?

?Sure. Come on, Ninian, Nils.

?As you say.

?

Hm? Ninian?I didn?t see you. I?m sorry about before. I just?needed some time to think.

?

Should you be up? You?ve had a rough time? Your coloring?s not very good. You should rest.

?

?Look at you, all scratches and bruises? You need to be properly taken care of?

?Why?

Hm?

Why was Lord Elbert so? Lord Eliwood, why were you both? so kind to us? It?s? This is? This is all my fault? These nightmares? All these terrible things?

Ninian, crying ill suits a girl of your beauty. I?m fine? Please don?t cry.

I?m sorry? So?sorry?

There?s something you must hear. You?re not responsible for what happened to my father. You suffered as much as he did. Please don?t punish yourself further.

?Lord Eliwood? I? I? Ah!!

Huh? What is it?

?Oh?

Ninian?

?Enemies???Enemies draw near!!

?

I wonder what happened to Nergal. Lord Elbert gave him a grievous wound when he stabbed him.

His wounds will not kill him.

That?s what Lord Elbert said, too. Do you know what he meant?

?Nergal uses quintessence on himself as well. His wounds heal quickly? His body does not age.

So he isn?t?human?

?If nothing else, he?s?Ah!!

What is it?

Call everyone! Enemies approach!

Bah. Eliwood deserves a little more time to rest?

Well then, we?ll handle this ourselves, shall we?

Ah!

Eliwood!

Listen! Get ready for battle! I want to get this over with quickly to protect villagers [sic, he probably means ?protect the villagers?]. Meet the enemy commander, and drive them out of here!!

No way! I can help you out!

Nils, you really are a big help, but? shouldn?t you be with Ninian now?

Ah? All right!

Let?s go!

All right! Here?s the map:

Small and dark. We?re going to need some visibility, but I have a spare torch or two, and Priscilla still has her staff, so we should be fine.

That said, here?s our lineup!

I spread out the Killer weapons amongst my troops. The Silver weapons cannot be used yet. Let?s go!

I? I?m going to help!

Oh, no, you?re not! You?re still too weak!

But?I merely wish to help Lord Eliwood? Even if just a little. I? I stole his father?s life from him??I know this?this will never make up for it? Nils! Please?

?I understand. Give me your hands.

Nils?

I?ll give you some of my power. You?ll just get in the way if you go out like this.

Nils, I?m sorry.

?Whew! That should do it. Help them for me, too.

Thank you.

Ninian!? You shouldn?t be here!!

?Please allow me to help.

Help? I?ve no intention of making you fight?

?I?m no mere dancer. My dances? They will help you.

Uh, Ninian. Now might not be the best time for that kind of help?

I?m wrapped in?some sort of?energy?

I used Ninis?s Grace and danced for you, Lord Eliwood. It will only last a short while, but while it does, you are protected.

Oh. Oh! That?s okay then. Carry on.

?Please?allow me?to remain at your side.

Ninian? Of course. If it will make you feel better. Let?s rejoin the battle. Don?t leave my side.

OK!

?

I cannot fight, but? I can aid with my dance. I ask for your understanding and assistance.

Ninian joins our group!

A somber girl. Quiet, but filled with a solemn energy.

Ninian is a Dancer, and, like Nils, exists only to buff our party. Like Nils, she can allow a unit to act again, which is immensely powerful. In addition, she has Ninis? Grace, which boosts Defense and Resistance by at least 8 (the game doesn?t say), which is very significant.

With that, let?s go. First of all, let?s light up the area. Dart, Lucius and Priscilla all use their items to help me see what?s going on:

That?s better. Hector and Florina, the overleveled powerhouses that they are, visit the houses in the back, while the rest of the group heads right.

What? A fight? Are you going to do something? Really? Then?here, take this. It should aid you. It?s a Restore staff. It?ll wake you from sleep and cure poison. Basically, it?ll cure what?s wrong and bring you back to normal. Now I?m tired? Why can?t you people fight at a decent hour?

Say, I?ve got something here you can use to buy some time. Set this Light Rune, and it?ll block the enemies? advance. Only thing is, it?ll stop allies, too. So?watch your step!

Very nice defensive boost ? the normally Resistance 2 Eliwood takes no damage from the Attack 9? attack.

Might as well take advantage of that and have Eliwood run out like a crazy man out into the centre of the map to try to draw some fire.

The rest pull up behind to watch in bemused fascination.

On the enemy turn:

Hm. That?s actually pretty funny. Oh, Dart kills a monk in counterattack, leveling up:

Florina takes out a monk in the back of our formation. Didn?t notice him before.

Look at that. She one-shots people now. Anyway, the main group advances to sweep up after Eliwood?s one-man charge.

On the enemy turn:

Look at that! Don?t think we?ve seen these guys before.

Continued next post!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:22:30 AM by Fightest »

Fightest

« Reply #223 on: September 24, 2010, 11:12:57 AM »

Wyvern riders are the bad-guy equivalent of Pegasus Knights. They tend to have higher defense and strength, but lower skill and speed. In later versions, their vulnerability to bows was removed, making them very powerful units to contend with.

For this game, however?

They

Get.

Ganked.

More mop-up follows.

Lucky crit from Lucius takes out the monk just north of the group. I was originally planning on weakening him with Lucius and then killing him with someone else to minimize damage taken, but this works, too.

With that victory, Lyn?s sword-using level increases to A, which allows her to use Silver weapons. Excellent.

A Torch Staff use reveals the boss of the chapter:

I don?t think we?ve seen Warriors, either. These guys are Promoted Fighters, and, as you can see, they can use Bows. Still, this guy?s main threat is that Silver axe, which gives him a ridiculous 31 Attack. Fortunately, he?s not that quick. There are several ways to approach him, and I?ll go into them in a bit.

First of all, I finish visiting everyone:

I want to know what Biran?s wyvern riders are doing here! Are we under attack? C?mon, do something! I?ve heard that wyvern riders are fast and really tough. Sure, arrows and magic can bring them down, but?This?ll cause ?em trouble, too! It?s a wyrmslayer. Here! Take care of ?em!

Does what it says on the tin ? kills Wyverns dead. Not particularly useful, really, what with Rebecca and all.

The item?s different for different units, too. Cavaliers and knights need a Knight crest. Folks skilled in magic and staves need a Guiding ring. And wyvern riders and Pegasus knights need this: an Elysian whip. You can have it. Don?t be shy now. It?s not like I?ll ever be able to use it. Now, if I were a cute little Pegasus knight, I?d use it in an instant!

? Creepy old dude, you?re my new best friend. Florina?s path to world domination is now open!

Ninian levels up!

First, I clear out the rest of the enemy, as I need some breathing room before going up against the boss.

During the enemy turn:

Your journey is over, and only oblivion awaits you.

Hector takes the hit just fine. Legault comes up and?

Awesome. I finish off the rest of the enemy units, and gang up on the boss.

With Oleg dead, the chapter ends!

Mm. Sorry to worry you.

You don?t have to push yourself so.

We?ll have time for mourning when this is all finished. For now, in my father?s name? I will do everything I can to stop Nergal and protect our lands.

I see. So what do you have in mind?

?We need to see Marquess Ositia.

My brother?

After all we?ve learned? We can?t not tell him, can we?

Sure, I guess?

Hector? Why that odd expression?

Hector doesn?t want to meet Lord Uther. He?s been lax in contacting him and is afraid to face him, right?

What! And how did you expect me to send him any messages when we?re traipsing about the isles like merchants on holiday?

Ha ha ha! He is going to be so mad!!

C?mere!

Ha? They?re both in good spirits? It?s a lot better than giving in to despair, I suppose.

?

Lord Eliwood? Are you feeling better?

Marcus? I?m fine. I know I worried you.

About Lord Elbert? At my own discretion, I sent a messenger to Lady Eleanora.

?I see. Thank you, Marcus. That was well done.

?I thought she should know as soon as possible. The marquess?s final moments were so?very noble??

??

Ah!!

I?ve finally found you. I?m glad you?re well?

Isadora, what are you doing here? Don?t tell me something?s happened to Mother?

No, Lady Eleanora is well. Do not worry. When word of Lord Elbert?s death reached her yesterday? She said not a word? She merely gave her full attention to the messenger.

?Mother.

Then, she issued me orders without hesitation. She commanded I deliver this sword to Lord Eliwood and remain at his side.

But?the castle defenses will be shorthanded.

Lord Eliwood?please?Understand your mother?s feelings. Lord Elbert is not coming home. All your mother can do now is pray for your continued safety. ?Obey your father?s dying wish.? That is her message to you, and I have delivered it.

Why not petition Ositia for reinforcements to help ward Castle Pherae?

?Good idea. I guess it would ease my mother?s fears and bow to her wishes.

It?s that thinking that makes you Lord Eliwood.

Our battles are like nothing you?ve ever prepared for? Are you ready to face them, Isadora?

Yes. I will serve with my very life.

?

Oh, you were worried about me. I apologize for all of the trouble. I?m fine now. I have my friends to lean on. Hector, Lyndis, and you, Tony? Thank to all of you, I?m getting stronger. I am coming to believe that together, we can overcome anything!

Well, not alone you can?t, certainly not with those stats!

?

Limstella.

You called, Lord Nergal?

??

My wound?needs time. It was a deep cut, and my strength is not what it was. The man who did this to me is dead. I?d like his son?s death as compensation. Sonia. You will use Brendan to move the Black Fang. I do not need mere underlings now. I need the Four Fangs.

Hee hee, leave it to me. I?ll have them bowing their heads to you, my lord.

Limstella. I want you to gather me quintessence. For this injury to heal, I will need much. You are the strongest of all my morphs. Kill all those who bear signs of great power.

As you will?

Next time on Fire Emblem: Tower Defense.

theshirn

« Reply #224 on: September 27, 2010, 07:31:09 PM »
I keep stopping to giggle.  Great to see you back at it!

For the record, Ninis's Grace is +10 to defense and resistance.  Used in conjunction with the Rescue abuse, you can break the game with the arenas with ease.  Fun times are had.

Fightest

« Reply #225 on: September 28, 2010, 11:59:08 AM »
I keep stopping to giggle.  Great to see you back at it!

For the record, Ninis's Grace is +10 to defense and resistance.  Used in conjunction with the Rescue abuse, you can break the game with the arenas with ease.  Fun times are had.

Updates are going to be sporadic as usual, but this is still alive. For those playing along at home, what theshim refers to is the fun glitch where Rescuing a unit prevents its Ninis' Grace counter from going down at the end of a turn. This means they can roll over anything they might be faced with in the Arena for all eternity, allowing one to rack up levels and gold until the cows come home.

Of course, I've been prohibited from abusing the arena, so no such shenanigans will be seen here.

Fightest

« Reply #226 on: September 30, 2010, 09:23:38 AM »

They pass through Laus and continue through two more territories. After a time they arrive at a fortress separating Thria and Ostia.

You?re not fooling anyone, game! I can see Ositia and Lahus quite clearly on the map!

That?s everyone, is it not? If I have you, the Four Fangs, together, I need no one else. I have need of you to eliminate a man whose living plagues me. His name is Eliwood, a noble of Pherae.

??

?Pherae?s located in Lycia, is it not?

That?s right. But he is no simple country lord. He has friends. Other Lycian lords. Individually, they are no match for you, and yet? Carelessness invites death.

Do not make that mistake. [Not sure what?s up with this line. Maybe it was supposed to be Sonia?s?]

Lloyd, Linus? I have work for you, the Reed brothers, as well. All right?

One question. Are these our father?s ord?I mean?the orders of the head of the Black Fang?

Hee hee? Why, naturally. Isn?t that right, my beloved?

Mmm? Ah?yes.

There! Are you satisfied? Remove Eliwood. Your orders come from the head of the Black Fang, Brendan Reed. As members of this group, you will follow that order, yes? Or?does your opponent frighten you into immobility, Lloyd?

Sonia! How dare you speak to my brother in such a?

Linus.

?I know.

Sonia, we do not need to be chastised by you. Under our father, we are the ones who?ve carried out the law of the Fang. If Eliwood is an evil person, there is no reason for us to hesitate.

The Fang lets none escape.

We, the brothers Reed, dispense the Fang?s justice.

??Ursula, Jaffar, you understand your orders, yes? Once you find the target, you eliminate him at once!

It will be as you say, Lady Sonia. Anything for you.

?I?ve received my orders. I will do my duty.

Your target?s name is Eliwood, noble of Pherae! Bring him down. On the Black Fang?s honor!

?

He?s already on his way here. We?re to wait for him.

Lord Uther is coming here himself?

So it appears. I told you of this before, but Castle Ositia, not to mention the city itself, is filled with countless foreign spies. I assume he thinks it will be easier to speak freely here.

But?wouldn?t leaving Ositia generate even more attention?

He?s traveling in secret with very few attendants. He?s skilled at this sort of thing. There?s no need to worry.

How unconventional. It must run in the family.

?And what exactly is that supposed to mean?

Nothing. I?m very much looking forward to meeting him.

?

I?m fine. Just a little tired. If we can sit still for one night, I?ll be bet?ter?

Nils!?

Nils! You all right?

Nils!!! Open your eyes!

Ninian! Calm down!

?Ah, I??

Let?s move him into the back room and call a healer.

You mustn?t move him!

Huh?

Ninian?

I?m sorry, I? Um? Please, just for now?Don?t move him.

But?

Please?

?Let?s do as Ninian says. She must have her reasons.

?Please, just one night?s rest? That should?make things right.

If it?s going to make him feel better, fine. Whatever you do, don?t move him. I?ll let the others know.

Lord Hector??My apologies.

No worries.

?

Very well, Heath, your unit will attack from west of the fortress. Your mission is to put an end to the entire group. Make no mistakes.

?Are you serious? Marquess Lahus abandoned us and just vanished. We?ve no reason to engage this group.

We answered Marquess Lahus?s call, and we will honor our duty. Regardless, we cannot remain in Lycia any longer. We rebelled against Ositia, and our entire mercenary force is hunted? If we take their heads, we can join the Black Fang in Biran.

I?m opposed to this plan. There are women and children in their group.

Gil, no?!

Women and children!

Get back in the box!

What you would ask of us? It?s something no knight? no man could do without shame.

Listen well, Heath. You?re a wanted man, a fugitive from Biran. How about we take you and hand you over to Biran?s wyvern riders? We might even be knighted as a reward, given honest work.

??

Hah! Thought as much. Everyone wants to protect his own skin. Now, get your unit together. We attack!!

?

It?s the east gate! The foe is already inside!

Blast! They would show up now.

We can?t move Nils. Let?s try and hold them off! Protect Nils! Don?t let them near him!

That?s our objective!

We get a huge 14 units, with Ninian and Canas at the bottom in addition. Lyn gets a Silver Sword to improve her murder potential. The rest still haul around Killer weapons, so I?m set for this map. I sense Rebecca will be the MVP for this map, so I bring along Ninian for extra turns.

The map is pretty large, with all sorts of units and features thrown about. Nils is parked in the red-carpeted room up north, and I?ll leave Hector in there with him. That?s about all the protection he?ll ever need, leaving my other units available to gang up on anyone coming up through the front. An early objective will be to have Sain rush down the Thief in the middle-left before he can steal any of my goodies. For reasons that will soon become evident, I sell off a whole bunch of useless items in my inventory.

Finally, as I?m sure you?ve all figured out, what with the custom portrait, the noble attitude and the unusual unit type, Heath might well be joining us soon enough?

Let?s go!

Lord Eliwood has told me much about you. I?m a knight in service to House Pherae. My name is Isadora. I?m under your command. Please instruct me.

Isadora joins us officially! Let?s see what she?s got:

A paladin in service to House Pherae. Modest and polite.

Unfortunately, she?s near-useless to us. Her stats are completely overshadowed by most of our units and, to top it off, she?s Promoted, meaning that she will be getting severely reduced XP gains until she fights other Promoted units, and she?ll be barely able to stand up to them. She does have an Angelic Robe, which will boost one of our units? HP by 7. Vote now!

With basically nothing better to do, I have everyone but Hector and Isadora charge southwards. I don?t need to worry about survivability ? my weakest combat unit is 3 levels above them. I think it goes to say something about his ability when I say that that unit is Eliwood. He gets to lead the charge.

As you probably noticed, we got some allies. They are marked in green, and they will ?help? us in the defense, but usually they will get themselves killed. Still?

We?re a small group, and we?ve some mercenaries among us.

?Understood.

Ah! Rath! A welcome addition, now that he?s not overleveled.

Hear me!! We?re here to protect Lord Hector, Lord Eliwood, and Lady Lyndis!

Lyn?

I send over Lyn to talk to Rath. The two probably have lots to catch up on.

The enemies, as you can see, poured in through the front door.

Giving me plenty of targets for my happy gang of murderers. One thing to look out for:

That?s Heath. He will move and attack, so we?ll have to be careful not to get him killed before we can lure him over with promises of hot milk and delicious cookies. All that said? charge!

?It?s like he wants to suck.

All that in one turn.

Now I?m up against an issue I never thought I?d have. On the next turn, Heath attacks Canas, who doubles and kills him in counterattack. He doesn?t even go for the delicious Rebecca-shaped target that I place up front for that very reason. I have no other units available, so what I do is trade Canas? Flux to Rebecca so that he doesn?t have it to counterattack with. The things this game makes me do.

So instead Canas just stands invincible by regenerating his HP with Nosferatu. Still, Heath survives.

On my turn, I commence mop-up. I?d hang around a little more and have the characters chat a bit with each other, but there?s a timer on this mission. That said?

Rath! Rath of the Kutolah! Well met! What are you doing here?

?After we parted company, I?ve made my way as a mercenary here.

I see? You haven?t changed at all. It?s?good to see you again.

?Do you need my help?

Do you want an honest answer?

Are you offering?

?You?If you desire it.

Yes, please! Lend us your strength! We?re?involved in something terribly dangerous!

I see. When this is finished, I will end my service to this place.

Rath?

And so we get Rath back! He?s still level 7, which makes him our lowest-leveled unit. Getting him up to speed could be challenging, but it might well be worth it. Up to you folks, whether I use Rath or not.

Back on the front lines:

Continued in next post!

Fightest

« Reply #227 on: September 30, 2010, 09:24:42 AM »

I once again realize that Heath is about to get his sorry ass killed if I don?t do anything expedient. One of our lords should be sufficient talking to get him on our side, so I play some shenanigans with Rescue:

Then?

And, finally?

Who are you?

I?m Heath, a wyvern rider serving Eubans?s mercenaries. I wish to surrender.

Surrender? Why?

I?ve no wish to harm women and children. I?m a soldier, but? I?m trying to be human, too.

?I understand. However, as you know, we?re under attack. It will be hard to guarantee your safety.

No, that?s fine. I will fight alongside you.

Yet?

I will stop Commander Eubans when the moment comes? With this, my lance.

With that, Heath joins!

A deserter from Biran?s wyvern riders. Prideful.

As mentioned before, wyvern riders have high Strength and Defense, making them highly-mobile airborne tanks. They have a vulnerability to bows and, with their god-awful Resistance, to magic. These are minor when compared to a wyvern rider?s advantages. On a hunch, I checked our other units, and, with the exception of Hector, Heath already has the highest Defense. This, I feel, bodes well. Should I use him? You decide.

Heath shows off his Axereaver on the two Fighters nearby.

Canas clears the Fighter out of the way?

So that Sain can go run down the thief before he steals my stuff.

?Actually, on second thoughts, I?ll use the thief to my advantage. It?s a bit of a hassle to bring in Legault, so I?ll just wait until the thief is done robbing the place, and then have Sain run him down, and pick up my loot off his corpse. With that in mind, I have everyone resume the charge.

I then change my mind, having an uncanny ability to see the future, and have Sain take out the thief now.

That Brave axe is much like the Brave bow ? attacks twice per attack, up to four attacks, making it deadly in the right hands. Legault starts moving in to grab the second chest. Now I resume the charge.

On the enemy turn:

Canas and Dart kill all incoming attackers ? two Knights, a Fighter and a Monk, and get levels out of the whole deal.

On our turn, Legault finally gets to the chest.

And that?s why I didn?t let the thief go for the second chest ? you can always get items they loot back, but not money. Sain picks up Legault and heads off towards destinations unknown. My main group continues to hold the front gates.

The archer on the left has grabbed a ballista, and is probably going to make my life somewhat difficult, so Rebecca grabs one of her own and engages in a sniper duel.

On the enemy turn, nothing of note happens beyond the enemy units attacking my allied units, but no fatalities occur on either side.

On my turn, I notice a few incursions from the flanks. Nothing to worry about:

The Pegasus knight down south-west is too tempting a target to pass up for Rebecca:

Canas and Dart keep the front doors clear:

Next turn, Lyn reaches her target ? the archer on the east flank.

And Rebecca deals with the one on the west.

Eliwood steals the kill on a wyvern for some free XP:

On the next turn, a whole bunch more reinforcements spawn in on both sides.

I?m not too worried about beating them, but I?ll go for targets of opportunity when they present themselves:

And that?s Lyn?s Speed stat maxed! Until she promotes, Lyn will not gain any more speed.

Rebecca ballistas the targets on the left with Ninian?s help, but doesn?t kill anyone quite yet, and breaks the Ballista to boot. I?ll have her go in personally next turn.

Of all the things? On the Allied turn, a Mercenary attacks the boss:

Heh! Still, I won?t lose! I live and breathe the air of war! I can?t be beaten!

I?m shocked. The Mercenary survived. Anyway, I clear up the map before going for the boss.

Dart and Canas kill a Pegasus knight on a counterattack and gains a level again:

Rebecca and Lyn counterattack and kill a few units on both sides of the map. And, finally, after a misinformed detour?

I get to this map?s Secret shop, which is on the unusual tile in the top-left corner of the map. Once again, the item to get here is Physic, so I load up on two more staves, and a spare set of Lockpicks, just in case. Shopping done, I take on the boss:

Dammit, Canas, now my plan for Eliwood to get the kill is ruined!

?Hold on. Florina? No, you?re carrying someone, you?ll get doubled!

?Huh. Florina laughs at your pathetic attempts to kill her whilst she carries a dude slung around her back!

With this little diversion, Eliwood goes in for the kill:

Too little, too late, Eliwood. Got a Spear, though!

Uh?Sound the retreat!! We?ve no more reason to fight!!

And with that, the stage ends.

Continued in next post!

Fightest

« Reply #228 on: September 30, 2010, 09:25:01 AM »

You were so long gone that I feared you dead. Another day, and I might have arranged you a funeral rite.

…My apologies. Been a little busy.

Yes…Leila’s final report covered much.

I am sorry about Lord Elbert. I was powerless to help.

No…Nothing could have been done…More importantly, do you know of Nergal?

Only what was reported to me. He appeared a year ago and seized control of Black Fang. Then he ensnared Lahus in a plot of rebellion against Ositia. I can’t see what he’s after…

The dragons that vanished after the Scouring… He wants to…bring them back again.

What!? Can that be done?

Yes. Let me explain.

He’s always been a firm believer in quick decisions. Yet he wishes for more time…that’s never happened before.

…It’s gone from a simple rebellion to a threat to the human race. We saw it with our own eyes, and yet… It’s all so unbelievable.

Yet…it’s all true.

Yes. I wonder what will happen next. Ideally, we could bring the whole of our lands together to fight as one. It would be a return to the time of the Scouring…

However, this all hinges on the existence of dragons themselves. Unless dragons are seen in the skies, I doubt anyone will believe us.

Right. And once the dragons are here it’ll be too late.

We must stop all of this now. And we’re the only ones who know enough to do it!

Right!

I agree.

There we have it! Come on, let’s speak to my brother!

Ye-Yes…

And yet, I can see no other choice before me. Listen, my brother…Eliwood, Lyndis, are you determined to act on your resolve?

Yes, we’re prepared.

Me, too… I don’t care for sitting back, waiting for others to act.

And you, Tony. My brother and his friends are in your debt. What role will you play? Will you help them? See them through their coming trials?

No.

…I see. Then I have no more to say. I will aid you as much as I can… Good luck to you all.

Oh, Ninian.

It.. It’s an honor to meet you, Marquess Ositia…

Both Ninian and her brother, Nils, possess a special power.

Is that so? Then I would ask you. Do you know where Nergal is at this moment?

Yes, I can sense him… To the east… He is…very far.

East… Is he targeting Biran next?

That bodes ill. Biran is a powerful and militant country. If Nergal ensnares it… We’re done for.

…There’s still time. He is still…very weak…… Now… We must act……

So, Nergal can’t act right away, is that it? Yet, what can we…

We’ve no choice but to depart for Biran.

…If there’s time, make your destination Missur.

Missur!? That’s the wrong direction!

Go to the Nabata desert… You may find aid there.

What do you mean?

Go and meet the living legend.

Living…legend?

Next time on Fire Emblem: The Beach.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 09:34:28 AM by Fightest »

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
« Reply #229 on: September 30, 2010, 02:13:46 PM »
Give a medal to that mercenary who attacked the boss. Not just for being stupidly brave, but for actually surviving. Nameless NPCs need appreciation, too! And Florina keeps kicking butt like usual. I say you should use both Heath and Rath, just for variety (plus, you seem to be mowing down the enemies way too easily now with your current setup, heh). Good luck with your continued murdering.

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #230 on: September 30, 2010, 07:24:50 PM »
I'd say to use Heath, but NOT Rath. Honestly neither are really amazing in combat on average, but Heath has the sheer awesome factor of riding a freaking DRAGON! (Well, wyvern, but come on they must at least be smaller cousins or something)

Also,

?It?s like he wants to suck.

He does. Oh how he does.  He is Eliwuss, and he shall eternally fail.

theshirn

« Reply #231 on: October 05, 2010, 05:02:25 AM »
Use Heath, drop Rath and Isadora.  Angelic Robe might want to go to Priscilla.  And your Rebecca desperately needs some defense. :(