Author Topic: BloomDev v1.0.2 - Make your own Touhou games!~  (Read 41194 times)

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
Re: BloomDev v1.0.2 - Make your own Touhou games!~
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2013, 11:38:10 PM »
Why Game Maker? GML implements arrays very poorly, and it's a scripting language, which tend to run slower then compiled languages. Plus, GML is interpreted by LUA, which I heard is also a slow language. I guess these didn't turn out to be a problem since you've already been working with Game Maker, GML, and this engine?
From what I've heard, and experienced to some extent, Game Maker isn't bad. However, it's meant to make game making accessible to the less computer (specifically coding) savvy user, and as a result it becomes exponentially worse with increasing complexity. Do you think that's true?
GML has functions restricted to the full version of Game Maker. Can we use those restricted functions?

I've got some patterns on my mind that I want to try making, so I really want to try your program. I actually decided to go with Danmakufu ph3 because I kinda felt it would take me longer to learn your GUI then it would for me to pick up how it's code worked. Now that I've made my first pattern in Danmakufu I think I might try to implement the same pattern in Bloom Dev and see how they compare.
I'll admit that Game Maker is rather slow in terms of drawing, but it works well for creating things quickly and easily. The runner is built with GM8.0 "Pro" and loads the code directly into generated objects. So all Pro functions are available to you.

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2013, 11:49:58 PM »
Where do you get documentation for GML, I can't seem to find the place where I used to get it. Also, that should really be linked in the original post, since you're trying to help people learn GML.
Also, you should REALLY thoroughly comment all the code on your Example Game. I wouldn't even touch this thing if I didn't already feel like I knew GML.

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 12:23:07 AM »
Where do you get documentation for GML, I can't seem to find the place where I used to get it. Also, that should really be linked in the original post, since you're trying to help people learn GML.
Also, you should REALLY thoroughly comment all the code on your Example Game. I wouldn't even touch this thing if I didn't already feel like I knew GML.
I added some links to info and tutorials on GML to the OP.

And now that I'm done with finals, I can start working more on this and Iridescent Bloom.

Imosa

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2013, 06:09:23 AM »
I'm just gonna write this post as I go along

I wanted to recreate the pattern I was working on in Danmakufu but ended up not doing so for a few reasons. First of all, it requires bullets to be way off screen and I didn't know how to stop the program from automatically deleting bullets (I think it does that). Second, as far as I know GML doesn't have a default function to do things like insert elements into arrays, and without the ability to define one's own functions in the code (I also don't think that can be done) this would be a very tedious problem to solve.

Can your Icicle Fall be made in Bullet Pattern Studio? Seems like it might be able too.

Do you know about the modulo operator:
Code: [Select]
a mod b //returns the remainder of a divided by bIt seems like you might use this in a few places, like the places where you have:
while slavedir[si]>=360 slavedir[si]-=360
It might be helpful to include a test player with a hit box that's always showing, is invincible while focused, and who's shot simply decreases the enemy's life. I was wishing I had something like that in Danmakufu.

Is the health of a boss directly tied to the time given on the spell card?

Is player a global variable? I tried to put this into a bullets step function but it doesn't seem to work:
point_distance(x,y,player.x,player.y) <= 20 {
speed = 0;
}

I seem to be having trouble getting a second spell to work. If I switch the order of the two spells, the problem is also switched.
Also I tried just erasing the second boss fight and it caused the game to never get passed the loading screen.

When I pause the game, the exit button in the top right stops working. If I try it and then unpause, the game closes.

I couldn't create my own project. I had a similar error the the aforementioned one, but I'm too tired to get a picture of it now.

I'm just going to attach what I made in the fast few hours and you can see if you can glean any insight from that.
Also, the documentation that I was looking for seems to have been taken down. http://wiki.yoyogames.com used to have very comprehensive documentation but it looks like it was cleaned out. I made do with what I could find.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 06:15:24 AM by Imosa »

ErASeR MOdER MAxiMUM

• sad to the core core core
  • SIE SIND DAS ESSEN UND WIR SIND DIE J?GER
    • tumblr
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2013, 04:17:19 PM »
I feel a little silly for not understanding how to code things, even with BloomDev.  :qq:

However, I've been playing with the bullet pattern maker, and it's really fun! I've come up with a few different patterns and had fun doing it.

If only I could figure out how to actually implement them.  :ohdear:

haha ya im bak lol
3dpig.tumblr.com follow my tumbler

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2013, 04:51:03 PM »
I'm just gonna write this post as I go along

I wanted to recreate the pattern I was working on in Danmakufu but ended up not doing so for a few reasons. First of all, it requires bullets to be way off screen and I didn't know how to stop the program from automatically deleting bullets (I think it does that). Second, as far as I know GML doesn't have a default function to do things like insert elements into arrays, and without the ability to define one's own functions in the code (I also don't think that can be done) this would be a very tedious problem to solve.

Can your Icicle Fall be made in Bullet Pattern Studio? Seems like it might be able too.

Do you know about the modulo operator:
a mod b //returns the remainder of a divided by bIt seems like you might use this in a few places, like the places where you have:
while slavedir[si]>=360 slavedir[si]-=360
It might be helpful to include a test player with a hit box that's always showing, is invincible while focused, and who's shot simply decreases the enemy's life. I was wishing I had something like that in Danmakufu.

Is the health of a boss directly tied to the time given on the spell card?

Is player a global variable? I tried to put this into a bullets step function but it doesn't seem to work:
point_distance(x,y,player.x,player.y) <= 20 {
speed = 0;
}

I seem to be having trouble getting a second spell to work. If I switch the order of the two spells, the problem is also switched.
Also I tried just erasing the second boss fight and it caused the game to never get passed the loading screen.

When I pause the game, the exit button in the top right stops working. If I try it and then unpause, the game closes.

I couldn't create my own project. I had a similar error the the aforementioned one, but I'm too tired to get a picture of it now.

I'm just going to attach what I made in the fast few hours and you can see if you can glean any insight from that.
Also, the documentation that I was looking for seems to have been taken down. http://wiki.yoyogames.com used to have very comprehensive documentation but it looks like it was cleaned out. I made do with what I could find.
You should use list data structures instead of arrays if you want to insert things.
Sorry, it auto-deletes bullets to save on speed.

Icicle Fall can be made quite easily, but it takes a bit of editing the code of the icicles so they either turn or create new icicles and destroy.

And I know about the mod operator I just tend to not use it for some reason...

The timer is, for now, tied to the health, but I might want to increase it.

And I fixed up your game by adding a missing "if" in the icicle bullet's step code, adding a declaration for the 2d array "stars", clearing timeline2 of all enemy references (there are no enemies in your game, so it broke) and removing the spellcards in boss2 (they used bullets you didn't have).

I love those graphics XD
http://www.mediafire.com/download/q3tuo59pt7r6mio/ExampleGame2.zip

I feel a little silly for not understanding how to code things, even with BloomDev.  :qq:

However, I've been playing with the bullet pattern maker, and it's really fun! I've come up with a few different patterns and had fun doing it.

If only I could figure out how to actually implement them.  :ohdear:

Don't feel silly, GML can take a bit to learn as it's quite different from other languages. But luckily it's also very flexible and nearly all formats of loops, conditions, indentation, etc. work.
Did you try any tutorials? Look at the example game alongside the tutorials to get an idea of how to utilize the things you learn.

And unfortunately, at the moment, spell card patterns must be implemented outside BloomDev, in the project folder. There should be a stages folder inside with 2 boss folders, which contain the spell card info and code.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:58:26 PM by Ran Yakumo »

Imosa

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2013, 08:37:12 PM »
Sorry, it auto-deletes bullets to save on speed.

Icicle Fall can be made quite easily, but it takes a bit of editing the code of the icicles so they either turn or create new icicles and destroy.

The timer is, for now, tied to the health, but I might want to increase it.

And I fixed up your game by adding a missing "if" in the icicle bullet's step code, adding a declaration for the 2d array "stars", clearing timeline2 of all enemy references (there are no enemies in your game, so it broke) and removing the spellcards in boss2 (they used bullets you didn't have).
Have you considered doing what Danmakufu does? Every bullet has a toggleable flag that determines if the bullet should be deleted when too far away from the play area.

Seems like you could make one of those shot types (I forget what you call them) that aims all bullets of a certain type, at the player.

I'd suggest just making them separate values in the info file.

I'll be sure to look into your edited file later. Thanks.

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2013, 08:53:48 PM »
Seems like you could make one of those shot types (I forget what you call them) that aims all bullets of a certain type, at the player.
You mean the "omni" ones? Hmm, maybe.
For now, you can use
with (bullet) {
    direction=point_direction(x,y,player.x,player.y)
}

Imosa

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2013, 08:58:32 PM »
You mean the "omni" ones? Hmm, maybe.
For now, you can use
with (bullet) {
    direction=point_direction(x,y,player.x,player.y)
}
Actually not even the "omni" things. Slaves already have a toggle-able thing which makes them aim at a player, and it doesn't seem to do anything right now if you use and omni setting.

Imosa

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2013, 01:09:04 AM »
Ok, I finished the other spell card I wanted to make. I discovered two nice things about Danmakufu. First is the fact that since all it's spell cards can be accessed individually, you can just test a single spell card instead of having to deal with an entire stage. The second is that it has a test mode in which you can make yourself invincible.
The big down side to your engine, right now (other then some obvious things), in my opinion, is that it's so rigid. The biggest example is that if I want to test, my spell card, I need to play through my entire boss. If I wanted to make a stage along with my boss, I'd have to go through a little hell before I could even see the boss on the screen.
Of course, this kinda comes with the territory of what you're making, a danmaku engine with a GUI. I had a lot of trouble with file management, but I shouldn't because that's what the GUI should simplifying for me. I think what you really need to focus on next is filling out the Stag. tab.

Also, I tried to edit a bullet in the Bul. tab and it didn't save when I hit save.
Also, here are my two spell cards. The second is quite devious if I do say so myself (also maybe unbalanced).

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2013, 01:48:00 AM »
Ok, I finished the other spell card I wanted to make. I discovered two nice things about Danmakufu. First is the fact that since all it's spell cards can be accessed individually, you can just test a single spell card instead of having to deal with an entire stage. The second is that it has a test mode in which you can make yourself invincible.
The big down side to your engine, right now (other then some obvious things), in my opinion, is that it's so rigid. The biggest example is that if I want to test, my spell card, I need to play through my entire boss. If I wanted to make a stage along with my boss, I'd have to go through a little hell before I could even see the boss on the screen.
Of course, this kinda comes with the territory of what you're making, a danmaku engine with a GUI. I had a lot of trouble with file management, but I shouldn't because that's what the GUI should simplifying for me. I think what you really need to focus on next is filling out the Stag. tab.

Also, I tried to edit a bullet in the Bul. tab and it didn't save when I hit save.
Also, here are my two spell cards. The second is quite devious if I do say so myself (also maybe unbalanced).
I've found that it's sometimes just easier to edit the files outside BloomDev, then use it to compile the game. And the Spell Card Viewer allows you to test the spell card outside the game...
And about that saving thing, I thought for sure that it worked before, but I'm getting the same problem now too...
I'll try the new version you made soon. I'm really busy trying to add dialog to the engine but there's a weird bug that I can't find the source of DX

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2013, 06:51:48 PM »
Hi Ran
Its a great job you had done there.
Are you still going with this engine?
^^

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2014, 02:51:55 PM »
This actually looks pretty interesting and I hope you're continuing on it. The only thing I want you to add is more bullet types in the Bullet Pattern Studio. I think it would be great if all bullets were available and you could choose what color you want (e.g. red knife, blue kunai etc)

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2015, 06:42:41 PM »
Question: If I have a ready self-written danmaku code, how can I put it in your engine and more interesting to compile it?

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2015, 06:57:08 PM »
I wouldn't recommend using this engine. It's terrible compared to Danmakufu and I regret making it.

« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2015, 07:04:17 PM »
I wouldn't recommend using this engine. It's terrible compared to Danmakufu and I regret making it.
Ok. I see your engine can compile files! I'm searching something that can compile my code/music/graphic (or hide my stuff). Maybe.. You know something about that? I would be very glad (Sorry my English)

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2015, 07:06:25 PM »
If I remember right I used this archiver extension for GM 8.

« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2015, 07:15:09 PM »
Wow. But how can I compile my stuff with Archive.dll ? (Using Game Maker??)