Author Topic: What genre of Touhou remixes most appeal to you?  (Read 18323 times)

Easy Mode

What genre of Touhou remixes most appeal to you?
« on: July 01, 2009, 03:08:42 AM »
I've been thinking about this for a while. I've noticed (from what I've seen) more fans seem to lean more towards the metal and rock arrangements, whereas I prefer either the ear-raping techno (anything that RoughSketch does) or the piano remixes.

What's your opinion? Your preference? Any genre!

Caber Knight Etch-A-Sketch

• The return of something
Re: What genre of Touhou remixes most appeal to you?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 03:19:13 AM »
Ronald McDonald. Hands down.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 03:22:37 AM »
Ones that I think are better than the old ones :P

Okay seriously, I don't usually have a particular preferance or whatever. If I like the way it sounds then it's my favorite it doesn't usually matter what genre it is.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 03:45:40 AM »
Usually the rock ones.  Example:  I LOVE Ezel-Ash.  nazz-can(HOLY CRAP AWESOME), Dark PHOENiX and dBu are probably among the most common on my mp3 player as well.  O-Life Japan also has a bunch (that damn tapdancing song is so bloody good), and Xi makes a few good appearances.  Still looking for more awesome ones.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 03:58:32 AM »
My favorite artists are dBu, Crow's Claw, and t+pazolite.

So I guess my favorite genres are rock arranges, and also t+pazolite's happy hardcore stuff.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 04:43:31 AM »
Honestly, like my tastes in 'normal' music, my preferences are all over the place and I can appreciate just about anything. Rock, classical, trance, etc. can all be cool.

However, I have a soft spot for three genres: Jazz, House, and Eurobeat. The Swing Holic albums and anything else by the Swing Holic Band on the other Sound Holic albums are pure awesome. I recently found a group called Hatsunetsu Mikos who do kind of jazzy house-like muisc and they're pretty good too. I want to get those yearly Touhou Jazz compliations but they're kind of expensive now, being out of print and all, and I don't really know where to find torrents for Touhou music. Eurobeat is sadly underrepresented, and I mean like the kind of Eurobeat you'd hear in Initial D, but the few songs in those styles are fanTASTic. Again, Sound Holic is pretty much the only group I know that does them, and they rule. They've done IN Stage 3's BGM, MoF Stage 4's BGM, Yuyuko's theme, and Aya's theme in that style and they're probably my favorite Touhou songs out of everything.

So yeah, go listen to more Sound Holic. They own.

I still need to listen to Tamusic's Touhou Violin albums I picked up a while ago. I heard good things about them.

I forgot to mention Crow's Claw. I've only listening to his Frozen Frog album, but it's phenominal.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 07:01:18 AM by N-Forza »

Drake

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 06:49:53 AM »
The easiest way to tell is to manage to cram your best music into something like 2 gigs. It's pretty definitive.

Just looking through stuff, I can say...
Violin, lots of Piano and Orchestra in general. Shiraha, Reine Oktave, Mukyou, etc.
Epic, mindblowing pieces such as 藍ノ光 from NeutraL's PCB and pretty much anything from O-Life Japan.
Standard rockin' stuff like AQUASTYLE, NeutraL, Dark PHOENiX, IRON ATACK, GYRO MiX, dBu, etc.
Other oddities that I'll find like one track in an entire album or something. Some happy jumping songs come to mind like As/Hi's GEKKOHSEKI and Soy-W's Marching Cat.

Despite this, I don't have lots from more hardcore groups like MyonMyon and Demetori.
Happy Hardcore, Eurobeat, ear-raping techno and the like is really hit-or-miss. Black and white. I'll like some, but not most.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Kojiremi

• Crimson Asuratic
  • Touhou, Disgaea, Neptunia. Holy Trinity
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 07:23:27 AM »
My faves are nazz-chan's Brightness and Darkness albums, so some rock and contemporry/orchestrated pieces there, And MyonMyon's Steel of Scarlet Tracks which are all rock, IOSYS of course which is kinda all over lol, dbu yeah. Those are my faves off the top of my head. overall touhou or otherwise i like Jazzy and Techno/Ambient etc. And Rock/Metal. I'm more inclined to listen if songs are in those categories but i'll listen to anything just about. I'm not a fan of rap at all but i think Touhou could use some good raps like how these guys did
That would be friggin sweet.
I like rap when its meant to be funny. Otherwise i normally turn away. :/
See the patterns, feel the patterns, become one with the patterns, avoid the patterns
In order to live through the patterns, you must understand the patterns for everything else there is MASTER SPARK.

bloop

• Your local cephalopod
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 07:23:44 AM »
I've enjoyed almost every genre of rearrangements I've come across, but I'm most partial to chiptunes and metal.
sugeee

Drake

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 07:25:08 AM »
I'm not a fan of rap at all but i think Touhou could use some good raps like how these guys did
That would be friggin sweet.
Too bad Touhou isn't near long enough to write a decent rap.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

mark2000

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 08:58:05 AM »
Must be orchestral or piano arrangements; and

Closely faithful to the source material; 

There are some exceptions to the second requirement though. 3 tracks from Reverie come to mind.

oh....I almost forgot a few other honorable exceptions to both requirements:

- Marisa Stole The Precious Thing (annoyingly catchy and epic engrish)
- Usatei (lively)
- Help me, Erin (crazy)

Easy Mode

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 08:59:39 AM »
Speaking of piano-
This must be posted for awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3nZMTzWhHI&fmt=18

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 09:24:37 AM »
I'm a notable fan of four types:

*Chiptunes/FC/8-bit Remixes.  I've been keeping a list
*Donald McDonald mixes.  List
*MAD Mixes.  And again...

The last type can be almost any genre, BUT... I want stuff that sticks close to the original tunes.  It's why dBu is my preferred remix artist - they vary up genre (though mostly rock) according to piece and still stick pretty close to the original.

mark2000

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 11:39:03 AM »
Speaking of piano-
This must be posted for awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3nZMTzWhHI&fmt=18

Awesome. It's about time I added something new to my music collection.

Gpop

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 02:27:55 PM »
Anything hardcore and Metal/Rock. Really, anything that's meant to be loud and/or fast.

I got a lot of favourites, including Demetori, CROW'S CLAW, IRON ATTACK!, UI-70 (their metal arranges, their techno stuff isn't appealing), REDALiCE (hardcore gabber stuff), nazz-can, and many others.

Gambit

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 04:23:54 PM »
Mostly rock, piano, chiptunes/8-bit remixes and orchestra. I especially love piano remixes since it is my favorite instrument, but generally I will listen to just about everything as long as it sounds good. 

As for favorites: Nazz-can, UI-70, dBu, Sekken-ya (love their remix of Mystia?s theme and Ancient temple) and Tamusic.

Herasy

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 05:51:28 PM »
My current playlist
Rock/Metal arranges: Myon Myon x Pizuya's Cell, Crow's Claw
Techno: Alstromeria Records (Currently only have Lovelight in there though)
Some random blues songs, I think the Orchestra SWR album somewhere in there too.

While I primarily listen to the Rock/Metal arranges, Alstromeria Records rocks just as hard! (Especially with that Bad Apple mix, that always gets me pumped)

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 12:28:22 AM »
Im another Metal Remix fan, but i do like some of the Dance & Orchestral remixes too (i had a song in mind that i was gonna link but i can't find a bloody YT vid of it ._.)

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 12:57:24 AM »
Yeah, rock and metal for me mostly too. Favorites include Sonic Hybrid Orchestra, UI-70, dBu, IRON ATTACK!, KOUICHI from NEUTRAL2 and Dark PHOENiX. I recently found an album by SOUTH OF HEAVEN as well, and was really impressed.

Discord Registers' album that came out a while back, FOGGY NIGHT, was another one I really liked, but it kind of went under the radar. :/

Reeaaallly not a fan of techno though. Kind of a shame, really, considering how much of that there is out there. Also, I don't really like CROW'SCLAW aside from one or two songs, like their recent Alice remixes and their old Emiya remixes.

Umm, epic orchestral arrangements are pretty cool too, like that Fuujin Shoujo arrangement that guy from the Super Robot Wars music team did. It's in Touhou Anthology 3, released by Tora no Ana(the doujin shop) but damned if you can find it anywhere but a nico video(and I can't even find that, now). The second one is floating around on mediafire though, and that's also really good.

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 01:20:24 AM »
I like the more atmospheric electronic music, as opposed to the more hyperactive stuff (hate IOSYS, hate Alstroemeria). I think Reflection, the CD by emroots, is my favorite from C75. I think Sensitive Heart's earlier CDs were great too. It's tough to find whole CDs of it, I usually have to pick through other ones.

Some rock I really like, and some of it I don't. It's hard to name exactly the qualities I look for, but most of UI-70 appeals to me and I like what I've heard from Dark Phoenix. I think a lot of metal remixes are just way too fast and loud and don't have any sense of pacing. Also, <3 anything with acoustics.

dBu is a nice staple for more conservative remixes.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 03:00:56 AM »
I think a lot of metal remixes are just way too fast and loud and don't have any sense of pacing.
So it's not just me, then.  Compare Demetori's older music, like the Necrofantasia remix that was also on the Liverne album, with their more recent stuff...it really makes the new ones sound like loud noise a lot of the time.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Gpop

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 03:12:31 AM »
When it's fast it really pumps you up. That what I feel like for really fast metal arranges. It takes a lot of stamina to play them as well, so it's really impressive, especially for the drummer.

Also:
Also, I don't really like CROW'SCLAW aside from one or two songs, like their recent Alice remixes and their old Emiya remixes.

How can you enjoy metal but not enjoy CROW'S CLAW?

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 04:09:21 AM »
I guess I'm not the only one that enjoys them rock remixes as well. I've been lately loving C-CLAYS' works as for me.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 04:51:18 AM »
Normally I'd say something along the lines of remixes with housey elements to tech house.

Estha plays a good part in this.
Tsukasa is more Garage or mid-tempo house.
Delights Music is more on Trance and Tech Trance so that is dependable, sometimes they are good, sometimes not.
Ryo Ohnuki type mixes I like too, but only Alice Maestra. (I like to see a version of Bad Apple!)

For the rest
Alstroemeria Records, you gotta admit Nomico songs just sticks to you like a drug, I been having Strawberry Panic on my playlist all day and every month for the last 5 months. Alice Maestra, Bad Apple! and such are evergreen to me, since I just love their beats so much.

I will be honest when I say Alstro's latest 3 album offering along with Tsukasa, Estha and crew from ALiCE is a bit sad, it wasn't anything noteworthy and plenty of songs with good starts end up fucked over by Trancey elements. I'd say the only these guys I enjoy is their consistency in their quality tracks, if not, it is pretty much lukewarm response.

Sound Horizon has some good ones, not having any right now.

Sound Holic is something new I decided to look into, I hate ~AYA~'s voice, too engrish for me, but the music is always pleasant. Playin in Asia is one of my favorite tracks thus far.

W*M occasionally joining for some tracks is always a welcome addition, this guy can really play the instruments right to any track.

So personally a selection of jazz, techno house, and some decent anime-esque rock is fine.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Tenbatsu! Myon Rabbie

• I cannot and will not learn.
  • Letty is sick of my shit.
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 03:28:20 PM »
Electronic, Orchestral and Metal.
Almost everything..

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2009, 05:54:24 PM »
I really love any music that conveys power. Hardcore, whether ear-raep, happy, or the old school punk of Learning to Fly. Glad to see some new names mentioned in this thread. I'll have to check them out.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2009, 06:56:11 PM »
Too bad Touhou isn't near long enough to write a decent rap.

http://www.duane-and-brando.com/2009/06/lyrics.html
I guess Duck Hunt isn't long, but for them, it's just long enough :D

anyways, my favorite genres are metal/rock (examples: Ezel-ash and Neutral) and classic arranges ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BAvLYgq5m0 ). But this doesn't keep me from enjoying other types.
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Alphanish

• P41!!!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2009, 07:34:47 PM »
Gabba FTW! i guess...
SEIHOU RULZ!!!!!!!!!!!

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2009, 08:23:41 PM »
Also, I don't really like CROW'SCLAW aside from one or two songs, like their recent Alice remixes and their old Emiya remixes.

How can you enjoy metal but not enjoy CROW'S CLAW?

At least in their C75 album, most of the tracks were like, okay heavy guitar, but no melody. I dunno, I just don't like the really heavy stuff.

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2009, 11:25:25 PM »
Personally I get really tired of the sped up cheesy electro you hear associated far too often with Touhou, and cheesy IOSYS type stuff.

To me it's kind of the opposite of what I like in Touhou music. That kind of music reminds me of the really annoying Kingdom Hearts obsessive Weeaboos rather than the cool Touhou loving weeaboos. It reminds me of the shitty music you get played in some gay bars, it's like living up to a stereotype.

A lot of the Touhou music was really unique and interesting and sometimes beautiful. Personally I don't want to hear it turned into a generic SPEED TECHNO track.