Author Topic: [東方意地奴 ~ Touhou Ijiyatsu] - Monarchly Moron (Ver. 1.00f)  (Read 106430 times)

Drake

Re: 東方意地奴 ~ Touhou Ijiyatsu - Monarchly Moron (Ver. 1.00f)
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2009, 12:46:31 AM »
Drake do you have an up to date list of Embodiments sorted by stage like you had in an earlier topic?
The only one that bothered to come forwards and actually made sense was Xan, who is Theorin's maid, and as such is confirmed for Stage 6. All other positions are still open. If anyone decides where they want to be, they should PM me or tell me on IRC or something for what stage they want into, and a reason why they would fit there, if said stage is after 3.

Planning for dialogue that isn't Extra Stage is beyond me. I would like to be notified if something is planned and/or if people can spontaneously get together (like Nobu said, for story coherency and fluency), but otherwise me making a conscious effort to grab everyone is too much for me. If I happen to see people that may be available I'll message them, but don't count on me for this please. Only stage left for Nwbi is Rou+Serp, right now.

For settings, the first three have already been more or less chosen before. Stage 1 is in some kind of field like UFO S1 (a bit more geared towards autumn, maybe). Stage 2 is going from the field into possibly a valley, before the mountains. Seems like a place Tenshi would be in. Stage 3 would be in the mountains and reaching the shrine, although I feel very heavy MoF S3 vibes from it and the background will probably resemble it a lot.

For the later stages, it's still up in the air. It was decided that the power of IE would influence the shrine, making the inside huge and each area will be totally different from one another, to make it not so boring and "hurrrr we're in a shrinelol".
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 12:48:36 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2009, 12:57:42 AM »
I'm not saying hedge out the people that want to do their dialog, but for the people that either can't or don't want to, there is the option of their dialog written for them by others and coming to an agreement about it. (I mean, it's not like any of us had much of a say as to what our character designs were either, right? ;P)

@Drake: What season is it? (Or even better, maybe we can vary it up and have it spring/autumn like in the field, blazing sun in the valley, and snowing by the shrine, explaining the weather as one of the problems caused by the wonky Idiot Energy. I actually like this idea.)

I was thinking less Stage 3 and more like  like PCB/MoF stage 4, having most of the stage approaching the shrine, then reaching the entrance to the shrine when you get to the boss.

As for the inside of the shrine, I figured that'd be what we'd be doing anyway (and since it's a shrine set in the mountains, the later stages would be deeper and deeper in, but still completely weird until you get to the end which is completely dark and like a void, or however else we want Theorin's stage to be)

EDIT: Drake, about the dialog, i'll have much more time to devote to trying to get people together to do this after next week. Until then, i'd suggest people to brainstorm ideas of how the dialog could flow, or little things to throw into the dialog so there's something to work with. How long is Baity roadtripping for?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 01:01:58 AM by Noburoni »
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Drake

« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2009, 01:05:08 AM »
I like that idea. As for the valley I'm not quite sure how it should look, so I'm up for suggestions here. But who would ever think of a battle outside a shrine, in the winter?

Although I wasn't talking about how Stage 3 would be structured, that much I figured would be like you said. I just meant how the mountains are represented by the nice autumnal colors and leaves everywhere. Maybe it could gradually switch to winter after Baity midboss?

EDIT: oh yeah i forgot
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 01:09:01 AM by Drake »

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2009, 01:21:07 AM »
I feel like something amazing will happen once you complete the 9th digit. Hopefully it's not the end of the world.

If we wanted to be a little silly (and I don't see a problem with this given the subject matter of the game), we can start it off with autumny colors and leaves making it really obviously parodying MoF Stage 3, but then have Letty come by randomly and smite the area with winter. :V (And i'm sure we'd get bonus cool points if the beginning of the Stage 3 background music sounded like the intro to Stage 3 MoF)

And the potential dialog once reaching the end or midboss can comment on the sudden weather change with something like "Brr. What was that all about? Now it's cold." "Beats me. *or* That's just Letty being Letty.", something like that, followed by Baity appearing to address the PCs.

Well, since stage 4-6 would take place indoors so the season wouldn't be an issue (But then again, having weather indoors can be part of the IE weirdness).

Serp

• It's all about overwhelming force and irresistible style
  • And in a pinch, style can slide
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2009, 01:53:51 AM »
Rou and I were waiting after the forum wipe to put our Stage 1 dialogue and other important concept stuff together, but now it looks like we don't have an excuse to wait.  I'll be hanging out at #ijiatsu so we can get something going next time he gets on.

As to the setting for Stage 2, the BGM gives me this image in my mind of the heroines flying into a craggy fissure in the mountainside with shafts of sunlight shining down from above.  The heroines would fight Tenshi (We should probably pick an alias for him so he doesn't get confused with the Touhou character, shouldn't we?  Angel Milk, maybe?) as they follow the valley, and the boss fight would take place just after emerging from the fissure into the cold mountain air.  After beating Tenshi, they'd see the snowy shrine grounds laid out down below.  Anyway, that's just one idea to consider.

Also, do we have an archive of the spellcard concepts that people want to use?  I've been learning Danmakufu, and I'm confident enough of my abilities to make a basic spellcard proof-of-concept, if not one polished enough to make it into the final game.  I'm one of the playable characters, so it's not like I'm going to be making spellcard designs for myself, but if there's need for some raw pattern ideas to work with, I suppose I can help with that.
[15:13] <Sana> >:<

Nine West

• Shrine maidens? Evil spirits? Magicians?
  • How wonderful!
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2009, 01:59:04 AM »
Physical interpretation:
Stage 3 End -> enter shrine (no flying inside shrine) -> shrine is pitch black -> suddenly the ground disappears -> freefall into ocean (fly now to save life) -> Stage 4 Go (weather can go here) ->End -> gigantic long corridor IN style (dim, no weather) -> Stage 5 Go -> End -> [Next stage]

Game interpretation:
Stage 3 End -> enter shrine (background is pitch black) -> dialogue and shaking (if possible) -> zoom into ocean -> Stage 4 Go (weather can go here) -> End -> zoom into gigantic long corridor IN style (dim, no weather) -> Stage 5 Go -> End -> [Next stage]

As for Stage 6 background, I'd like this, but in brighter color (water is unnecessary maybe). For Theorin's boss fight, make it a huge spacious room at the end of the cave with whatever she already have for Rin's ritual in the middle. When entering Endgame Survival Card, the background BREAKS and the last sequence of the game is being held inside a void or some kind and
Quote from: Drake
followed with CLIMAX IN THE MUSIC GUITAR RIFFS AND SLOWMO EXPLOOOOOOSIIIOOOON.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 02:00:55 AM by Nwbi »

Drake

« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2009, 02:02:37 AM »
I was planning on having the background explode, yes.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2009, 02:26:18 AM »
Physical interpretation:
Stage 3 End -> enter shrine (no flying inside shrine) -> shrine is pitch black -> suddenly the ground disappears -> freefall into ocean (fly now to save life) -> Stage 4 Go (weather can go here) ->End -> gigantic long corridor IN style (dim, no weather) -> Stage 5 Go -> End -> [Next stage]

Game interpretation:
Stage 3 End -> enter shrine (background is pitch black) -> dialogue and shaking (if possible) -> zoom into ocean -> Stage 4 Go (weather can go here) -> End -> zoom into gigantic long corridor IN style (dim, no weather) -> Stage 5 Go -> End -> [Next stage]

Stage 4 Go = when the splash screen appears? I think the entering the shrine can be done offscreen at least. Don't know about putting dialog at the beginning, traditionally this has never happened. (Also, random potential dialog:  "I don't remember there being an ocean in this mountain?!" "But this makes no sense!" *BOSS appears* "Exactly!")

And I don't think there would be a 'oh shit freefall, fly to save life', because would the PCs ever stop flying to begin with if they were flying through a void? :V

Nine West

• How wonderful!
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2009, 02:38:54 AM »
Physical interpretation

As in, how this would look like if this was reenacted outside the game. Thought I'd just put that in. :V

And yes, entering the shrine should be offscreen. Changing backgrounds between stages has always been done offscreen anyway.

And I don't think there would be a 'oh shit freefall, fly to save life', because would the PCs ever stop flying to begin with if they were flying through a void? :V

The temple/shrine is normal in structure. There's really no point in flying inside a house-like building. Also, it's pretty normal inside until you enter in deeper where you can't see anymore (walking). In-game, it should just be all black.

Edit: Aaaand Tenshi's on while Gpop's gone. Beautiful. >_>
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 02:42:58 AM by Nwbi »

Drake

« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2009, 03:41:09 AM »
jesus christ i have obtained sd-90 piano

« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2009, 03:45:54 AM »
We will be expecting much from you then :V

Drake

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2009, 04:46:48 AM »
Well that's good, I have much to offer.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jmduvgz3bnn

Fetch()tirade

• serial time-waster
Re: ~ Touhou Ijiyatsu - Monarchly Moron (Ver. 1.00f)
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2009, 05:10:26 AM »
I've been throwing out a few spellcard ideas.
Since I can't really do anything right now, I'll post a couple of old links along with the ones I sent Skye if you want. I'm not finished with some new designs yet, so those'll be up later.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2009, 05:52:12 AM »

Is that you playing the piano? Hooooly shit.

As in, how this would look like if this was reenacted outside the game. Thought I'd just put that in. :V

I was referring to the game interpretation, not the physical one. :V

The temple/shrine is normal in structure. There's really no point in flying inside a house-like building. Also, it's pretty normal inside until you enter in deeper where you can't see anymore (walking). In-game, it should just be all black.

Tell that to ZUN, in the games it's pretty much assumed that every place is gigantic enough to fly through. :V I mean, look how damned big the road to the shrine is on Stage 5 and Extra in MoF.

I mean, yeah, if this was ever adapted into some kind of anime, live action or what have you, you'd have a point. But it's not something that translates well in-game, since the sprites are not at all to scale with the background.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2009, 05:53:54 AM »
There's really no point in flying inside a house-like building.
Scarlet Devil Mansion
Eientei

:V

Nine West

• How wonderful!
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2009, 05:55:40 AM »
Tell that to ZUN, in the games it's pretty much assumed that every place is gigantic enough to fly through. :V I mean, look how damned big the road to the shrine is on Stage 5 and Extra in MoF.

I mean, yeah, if this was ever adapted into some kind of anime, live action or what have you, you'd have a point. But it's not something that translates well in-game, since the sprites are not at all to scale with the background.

For the game interpretation, did I specify that they should be walking? :V

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2009, 06:00:13 AM »
For the game interpretation, did I specify that they should be walking? :V

Well, you were replying to my comment about the game interpretation by saying "The temple/shrine is normal in structure. There's really no point in flying inside a house-like building." So, do you see why it seemed like you were referring to the game interpretation?

Here's some more boldface if you still don't understand.

:V

Nine West

• How wonderful!
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2009, 06:03:18 AM »
Well, you were replying to my comment about the game interpretation by saying "The temple/shrine is normal in structure. There's really no point in flying inside a house-like building." So, do you see why it seemed like you were referring to the game interpretation?

Here's some more boldface if you still don't understand.

I thought it was for the physical one since you also quoted it. Don't make me cry. :<

« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2009, 06:03:50 AM »
I thought it was for the physical one since you also quoted it. Don't make my cry. :<
CALM DOWN NWBI

dustyjo

« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2009, 06:30:27 AM »
CALM DOWN NWBI

oh god

is this going to be the new stop helepolis?

Serp

• It's all about overwhelming force and irresistible style
  • And in a pinch, style can slide
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2009, 06:38:35 AM »
Another point I've been meaning to post:  Stage 1 is going to be the most-played stage.  It should be the easiest, but it's also going to need to be interesting.  When designing the enemy patterns and such, we should probably consciously try to make getting "optimal" completion of the stage (getting all the power items, or getting as many lives/bombs as possible) quite difficult, so that it's not just a snoozefest.  I just want to put this out there since it looks like we might be designing the levels pretty soon.
[15:13] <Sana> >:<

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2009, 06:44:36 AM »
Yeah, and Stage 1 is pretty much our "first impressions" to people picking the game up so to speak.

I think good flow (which essentially means good stage design) is important, which is pretty much what you're talking about. I think if we design it right, the interplay of stage events matched with good music and good danmaku flow will keep it from being boring. Also, making sure the stage isn't too long is an important one too.

And I think "optimal" completion of the stage will be difficult anyway, because of how the embodiment system works, and the fact that embodiments make things a little different each time.

« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2009, 07:09:44 AM »
Any of the programmers know 3d in danmakufu very well? Kinda important for stage design. If not, I'll have time over Christmas.

Drake

« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2009, 07:20:20 AM »
I'll be learning at least basics sometime soon. I don't think we'll need really complicated stuff (tree models etc) especially since danmakufu does such a terrible job at rendering things anyways. Mostly angling objects, layering things over each other and a bit of camera moving, I'd think.

« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2009, 07:38:12 AM »
I'm more talking about familiarity. It's one thing to know how to draw object effects, it's quite another to be able to do whatever you want with them, without error. I'd kinda like somebody to have that familiarity with 3d, but I dunno if anybody other than Stuffman even comes close.

Anyways, Christmas, etc.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2009, 08:09:05 AM »
3D enough ? ( I was experimenting crazy with it until my life became busy )

The thing is, I have a very complex idea with 3D drawing for my own game which benefit Ijiyatsu as well. All I need is some bloody time to finish this graduation paper :V

You know, I can probably even make an animating windmill with 3D drawing. It becomes easy and common when you learn the functions and modification of the variables. And 3D rendering isn't that bad Drake. Take a look at Azure's last 3D Stage background. You just need the right textures for them ( and alot of patience ).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 08:13:44 AM by Helepolis »

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2009, 08:13:14 AM »
Looks sweet, but shouldn't the view be of the floor and not down the corridor, since that's the direction the PC is flying? :V Unless they're flying to the ceiling, of course.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2009, 08:15:22 AM »
Looks sweet, but shouldn't the view be of the floor and not down the corridor, since that's the direction the PC is flying? :V Unless they're flying to the ceiling, of course.

IN stage 5 has fly down the corridor as well. It is just want you want to achieve. We can aim the camera at any point like having a top view ( like in UFO ) or down the road view which often used in IN. Stage 4A/B for example where you fly through the bamboo forrest. Camera angles can be shifted during the stage ( like UFO stage 3 when approaching the ship ) and even completely change the backgrounds / layers etc to show a new area ( IN Final A/B , UFO stg 6 , SA stage 6 , MoF stage 6 ).

« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 08:16:59 AM by Helepolis »

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2009, 09:30:02 AM »
I'm not sure about the other stages (though I'd imagine a fast moving top-down view would work well for the first 2 stages), but I think Stage three should be either top down or angled towards the point of motion progress is made to the temple, and then have the camera pan up at the end to show the temple entrance right before Stage 3 boss appears.

IN stage 5 has fly down the corridor as well. It is just want you want to achieve. We can aim the camera at any point like having a top view ( like in UFO ) or down the road view which often used in IN. Stage 4A/B for example where you fly through the bamboo forrest. Camera angles can be shifted during the stage ( like UFO stage 3 when approaching the ship ) and even completely change the backgrounds / layers etc to show a new area ( IN Final A/B , UFO stg 6 , SA stage 6 , MoF stage 6 ).

I think what threw me off about your SS is that you can actually see the final destination in your down the hallway shot, where in the Touhou examples it's either angled downward so you can't see straight down, or the path ahead is obscured with shadows.