Author Topic: Yuyuko Story Help  (Read 5100 times)

Yuyuko Story Help
« on: August 31, 2011, 09:06:39 PM »
So my friend and I are working on a Touhou game, the main character being Yuyuko. I could go ahead and make things up for what she does before resurrection (In terms of fighting) but I rather not step on too many toes of fans. I'd like to take and get some ideas form you guys, we already have a few but it's always nice to get more opinions. We want to keep it as canon as possible, even through the addition of important Youkai's and some of the more directly connected characters like Youki Konpaku.

Thanks ahead of time, and I'm sure I can expect some great ideas from you guys.

Cheers.

Edit: My friend and I are talking on Skype, exchanging ideas. If you have Skype and have a vast knowledge about Touhou (Like I know you guys do, such smart people) and would like to listen into our talk and point out any conflicts within the story. Please feel free to add me, jinsentou
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 09:15:44 PM by Protomega »

warpshadow

• I get it
    • anifanatikku
Re: Yuyuko Story Help
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 10:29:23 PM »
What kind of game are you trying to make? As for stepping on the toes of fans I think all you have to remember is that Most of the final bosses and their groups didn't show up before the game when they first appeared (exceptions being Eientei and Chireiden but even so Utsuho wasn't as strong as she was before SA) and that Yuyuko's generally accepted pairings are with Youmu and Yukari. Other than that I think there shouldn't be too much to worry about.
Gensokyo Everyday's story My Touhou fangame http://gensokyosnack.blogspot.com/

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 11:01:39 PM »
There really isn't too much official information on what she did before the events of PCB. There's a little information to the be found on the wiki, but most of what's out there is fanon.

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 11:56:04 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the advice. As for what kind of game we are trying to create, it is a third-person shooter following a storyline of Yuyuko.

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 12:08:30 AM »
To add to Proto's post, it should be noted that it will be a 3D danmaku (hopefully).

bennelsey

• Touhou fan-game Developer
  • Will make Touhou fan-games for food
    • EastGap
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 12:36:00 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the advice. As for what kind of game we are trying to create, it is a third-person shooter following a storyline of Yuyuko.
ffff third person games are my life, which is why my mind was completely blown when DynaMarisa 3D came out

it didn't exactly feature dodging and danmaku (it had some in later levels) but it's third person anyway so i loved it

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 02:32:19 AM »
As, um, someone who regards Yuyuko in far too well a light to be sane, I have to ask: does this include pre-death or is it just Ghost Princess Yuyuko?  Because while I kinda like mortal Yuyuko stuff, we pretty much know how that ends - her sacrifice ends the specter of her terrible power and seals the Saigyou Ayakashi from eating all the souls ever.  Yukari and a Konpaku were around, and probably helped out.  There may have been others involved as well but there is no evidence of them; a pity because this is the kind of stuff shrine maidens specialize in.  So it puts some constraints on the kinds of ideas that can be used.
But placing it fully between death and PCB opens up all kinds of freedom to write your own plot lines.  There are 1000 years in there, and a lot of characters and ideas to mess around with.  Did Yuyuko lose her memory slowly or all at once?  How would she react to a young Aya or Ran?  What sort of trouble could there be between Hakugyokurou and Higan?  Did Yuyuko play a role in the whole Hakurei Barrier/Underground Youkai thing?  The ever-popular "Where did Youki go?"  And, of course, anything else you can think up!  As long as it contains plenty of Yuyuko, and doesn't directly contradict the knowns, it's all good.

*can no longer resist and points in a frothingly maniacal manner at Yukari*
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 04:07:43 AM »
Sophilia, will you please help us. You seem to know more than both Proto and I (we were going off of two wikis (neither of us have been able to beat the game sadly *pathetic*), which one said she killed herself), and you seem like you have a lot  you could contribute.

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 06:03:25 AM »
Well, most of the stuff I'm referring to IS in the wiki.  A lot of it's from the PCB official profiles, especially Yuyuko and Yukari's.  There's also the Saigyou Ayakashi article.  The only real deduction I'm doing here is that it probably wasn't Youki himself who was witness to the death of Yuyuko.  Though he does know that the SA is bad news, and the Konpaku are in service to the Saigyouji, so it makes sense that it's something passed down along the line.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 12:34:58 PM by Sophilia »
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

warpshadow

• I get it
    • anifanatikku
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 11:04:16 AM »
One small request, could you put Shou in the game somewhere. I was thinking about what characters could meaningfully challenge Yuyuko in pre PCB Gensokyo and there isn't many that could do so since most of the powerful characters were either sealed away, hidhing or simply not in Gensokyo. However I read the wiki and Shou and Nazrin were the only ones not sealed away and Shou is pretty powerful (a level 5 boss). Other options for characters include Shikieiki and Komachi, as well as the Oni and Yuka. However you would probably have to include a lot of original characters in the game, one suggestion would be Satori's mom or possibly dad as it is never stated how long Satori live.
Gensokyo Everyday's story My Touhou fangame http://gensokyosnack.blogspot.com/

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 03:33:53 PM »
I'll see what I can do. :)

As for what I'm looking for (Which Spice failed to mention) was that because there is a lot of creative ideas to work with and I want to have someone who hears me say a possible event or connection and then being told "We can't do that because of this.."

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 09:32:47 PM »
Shikieiki and Komachi are definitely going to be in this, since they both have to do with the dead.

Now, we have a question, was there anyone else "ruling" in Hakugyokurou before Yuyuko? If so, is there any other information about this?

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 10:21:06 PM »
There's no information available on that, as far as I know. I would think the Konpaku Clan would be involved, though.

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 11:22:26 PM »
There's nothing about whether there were or were not former rulers at all.  The closest we get to that is knowing that the Yama appointed Yuyuko herself.

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 02:09:57 AM »
Thanks for the info. Actually, after reading that link, this gives quite a bit of help in one part of the game that I was thinking about.
This is more of a trivial matter, but would it be right to say that she was appointed around 816 AD or a little later, because of the quote by Li He ("Hakugyokurou has been completely built...")? Although, Youmu carries (what I think is based on the official picture) a tantou (Hakurouken) and a katana or possibly a tachi (Roukanken), which started being crafted since atleast the beginning of the 10th century.
And in what time in her life was this? Was this shortly after she was sacrificed, was it years between her sacrifice and PCB, or was it shortly before PCB? (this is the question that matters more)
Sorry for all these questions, we just want to keep it canon so people can relate this with the original game and not get annoyed at how off it is (historical accuracy comes to mind).

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 03:06:02 AM »
Well, the main historical touchstone with Yuyuko is the monk Saigyou Hoshi, but his life was from 1118 to 1190, and Yuyuko's said to have been around for over a thousand years, so there's a bit of trouble there.
For the swords, it's not impossible that Roukanken is a more recent creation, but Hakurouken is specifically the Konpaku's ancestral blade.
As for exactly when she got her title, I believe that it was shortly after her suicide, because that's kinda when you usually meet the Yama, but that is all it is, a belief.  I don't recall any specific references to either when she became Princess of the Netherworld or her length of rule.  Feel free to point out if you know one.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 06:02:15 AM by Sophilia »

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 02:50:04 AM »
I heard someone needed help~?

I'm quite the resource myself. And I'd be quite glad to help.

Though what do you mean by a thirdperson shooter, cause the only third person shooter i've played was with actually guns and such.

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 03:20:09 AM »
A good example of what I hope it will slightly resemble is (if you've ever played it) the magician class (I think its called that) in the MMORPG Vindictus. Only attacks will be faster and spell cards will be easy to switch through. If you know quite a bit/everything about Perfect Cherry Blossom and things before it, and you also have some ideas you would be willing to share, you're free to join in. Just contact either me (REA0002) or Proto (Jinsentou) on Skype. Also, email me at rea002@gmail.com (don't put a title so I know it's not an automated message).

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 05:41:09 AM »
All this help is appreciated! I know I'm not posting that much, this is because I'm currently trying to get into a college for Software Engineering on the West Coast of the USA. Spice here is the one who is going to be communicating the most with you guys and collecting the information. Thanks for all the help so far and I look forward to at some point posting the game up here for you guys to try out.

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 02:22:43 AM »
Hm...~
So what sort of Time period are you going for?
Also how long do you want the game to be?
How canon do you want it?

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 03:15:53 PM »
You need to think if you want to keep relationships with other characters the same as the original games or mix things up completely. Unless, of course, you already decided on that, in which case I don't have much else to add. You can still do pretty much anything if you don't go with a detailed idea head on (that's usually how promising ideas die over time).

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 07:43:23 AM »
Sorry everyone, I recently had to format my hard drive and install Windows 7 due to massive problems with Vista. We are still working on the details for the game, so help in any way is much appreciated. Thank you everyone for taking an interest in this!

Hm...~
So what sort of Time period are you going for?
Also how long do you want the game to be?
How canon do you want it?

the time period we would like (or atleast I do) it to be is right after Yuyuko is sacrificed and is being taken across the Sanzu River. I'm not sure how long I would like it. We have enough materials that it could be equivalent to 20+ hrs of gameplay, however im not sure if people like long games or not (I haven't been a big gamer since the days before Halo, and back then people liked long games). As far as cannon goes, we want it to be as cannon as possible, but we do understand there is room for creativity.

You need to think if you want to keep relationships with other characters the same as the original games or mix things up completely. Unless, of course, you already decided on that, in which case I don't have much else to add. You can still do pretty much anything if you don't go with a detailed idea head on (that's usually how promising ideas die over time).

I'm not to sure what you mean, but from what I understand you're talking about basically "who knows who during this time." We plan on keeping that cannon; however, like stated above, we understand there's room to play around with due to lack of information.

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 12:56:27 AM »
Yuyuko is sacrificed and is being taken across the Sanzu River.
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think Ghosts cross the river.
As a large number of bōrei are unable to traverse the river, they remain in the realms of the living, or cross over to the Netherworld or to Hell.
So yeah. They don't cross.