Author Topic: What is worse to play? MIDI or OFF music?  (Read 2211 times)

gabrielwoj

• Is that someone did a 2D Touhou?
What is worse to play? MIDI or OFF music?
« on: May 20, 2011, 07:36:05 PM »
How nobody did asked that?
What is worst? Play with no music? Or play as MIDI?

For me is both, MIDI just makes the music so strange (I play Un Owen, and what? I'm not listening that!)
None because there is no sound, no death sound and nothing!

What is you opinion?
Image on the Avatar by: xephonia-d35lvsi

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
Re: What is worse to play? MIDI or OFF music?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 07:56:41 PM »
OFF only turns off the music, not the SFX (death sound, bullet firing sounds, etc. can still be heard!)
MIDI is... well, better strange than nothing!

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 08:00:06 PM »
eeh... how about WAV music?

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 08:28:43 PM »
I haven't actually listened to the MIDI versions of Touhou music. I've played with no music before though, so I'd say MIDI more out of convention.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 08:37:23 PM »
I've only tried MIDI with EoSD, and honestly, it's kinda interesting. Some songs are worse, some are better. Personally, I think Remilia's track to sound better using MIDI.

That being said, MIDI doesn't always have bad or strange quality sounds, MIDI itself is really little more than just another way to write music (it's not actually just music but whatever), the actual sounds of all the virtual instruments and whatever are NOT part of MIDI, people think they are because the general MIDI sound library is the same across many platforms, and yes, they all suck hard. But you can get a really amazing MIDI sound too, and chances are alot of the wave files you know and love have MIDI recordings within those wave files.

gabrielwoj

• Is that someone did a 2D Touhou?
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 09:42:50 PM »
I've only tried MIDI with EoSD, and honestly, it's kinda interesting. Some songs are worse, some are better. Personally, I think Remilia's track to sound better using MIDI.

That being said, MIDI doesn't always have bad or strange quality sounds, MIDI itself is really little more than just another way to write music (it's not actually just music but whatever), the actual sounds of all the virtual instruments and whatever are NOT part of MIDI, people think they are because the general MIDI sound library is the same across many platforms, and yes, they all suck hard. But you can get a really amazing MIDI sound too, and chances are alot of the wave files you know and love have MIDI recordings within those wave files.

MIDI is kinda nice sometimes...
I haven't played all the musics on EoSD... It's interesting, it remember me a 8bit music (sometimes)...
But well, I still prefer the original sound and musics, it's so damn good
Image on the Avatar by: xephonia-d35lvsi