Author Topic: What order do you like the games?  (Read 18798 times)

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
Re: What order do you like the games?
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2009, 01:42:25 AM »
StB is a great game, it's definitely growing on me.

one of the things i appreciate most, is the consistency the game makes you have.

sometimes when you're playing one of the danmaku games, you capture a spellcard, and next time you can't capture it...

to clear scenes in StB you need that, consistency.. You need to be able to repeat your feat 5, 6, 8 times... all in a short spam of time, something you don't have in most games except for IN's spellcard practice.

I really like the game because of that.
Current Goal: PCB Lunatic 1cc
Watch me on Youtube

Redmark

« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2009, 02:34:12 AM »
Bullet-cancel points'(what I meant when I said "lots of bullets on the screen") values in themselves aren't too important, though,
Touhou Wiki says that grazing affects this, though, when it's from max-energy or boss health-bar star items.

SukiSynth

• Your average mature 13 years-old kid~
  • UFO's hype is going to kill me. SAVE ME TOUHOU 13
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2009, 10:49:36 PM »
1. LLS
2. PoDD
3. MS/MoF
4. SA
5. HRtP
6. IN
7. PCB.
8. PoFV
9.EoSD
10. UFO
11. SoEW

Not couting the .5s.
Avec des ''si'', on mettrait Paris en bouteille.

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2009, 08:10:16 PM »
10. Shoot the Bullet: An interesting experiment, sure, but something I hope ZUN never repeats. Aya's controls - specifically the third (terminally slow) movement speed when holding focus and fire - are hopelessly counter-intuitive to someone who's played the regular games a lot. It artificially increases the difficulty of the danmaku, and detracts from the enjoyment.

9. Phantasmagoria of Flower View: Despite being generally in favour of the concept of VS shooters, I just don't enjoy this game. What's the point in busting out an awesome attack against the Lunatic CPU when it easily dodges everything like a TAS'er, before getting hit by something semi-trivial?

8. Immaterial and Missing Power: I know some fighting purists like to argue at lengths about how IaMP is superior to SWR, but I'm not a fighting purist. This is a decent effort, but SWR is so much more enjoyable to play that I haven't returned to its predecessor since it was released.

7. Embodiment of Scarlet Devil: The majority of the stage sections bore me to tears, and while the bosses are decent enough I still find this to be the least satisfactory of the 'core shooters' overall. The primitiveness of the game also bugs me a little, though the texture/hitbox patches rectify this somewhat.

6. Unidentified Fantastic Object: A couple of niggling issues stop me spending any real time with this, most notably the inability to settle on a main shot type (I'm finding ReimuB too weak now), the sheer misplaced difficulty of a number of attacks, and a feeling of being generally underwhelmed by both the aesthetics and the danmaku. Maybe I'll warm to it given more time.

5. Imperishable Night: Poor stage sections, but the bosses compensate by being generally enjoyable and varied in their attacks. Probably my least favourite game in terms of presentation and characters. Spell Practice and the variable stages are a nice touch though, and the Extra is one of the series' best.

4. Scarlet Weather Rhapsody (+UNL): More characters, more cards, more accessible, and generally more fun. I echo sentiments that some of the weather effects (you know which ones) can be a pain, but I'm willing to bear with them for the sake of the gameplay.

3. Mountain of Faith: A rarity in that I find it consistently entertaining from start to finish; it's one of the few games where I don't mind playing through the early stages. Has my favourite overall aesthetics, and some of the best stage sections of any of the games, though the bosses let things down somewhat. While in general they're some of the easiest of the series (when comparing Lunatics, at least), the difficulty of some of their attacks can be incredibly inconsistent at times.

2. Perfect Cherry Blossom: Combines quality stage segments with excellent boss fights, culminating in a superb climax with Yuyuko. Throw in excellent presentation on top of great danmaku and a solid scoring system, and you've got one of the best entries in the series. My only major criticism is that Reimu - who I use - doesn't handle nearly as well as the Reimu from MoF onwards. That said, the recent discovery of the Vsync patch could very possibly push this above SA.

1. Subterranean Animism: The opening stages are decent enough, but the real strength of this game lies in the second half; no entry in the series currently has a more entertaining Stages 4-6. Superb danmaku, great aesthetics and characters, and an explosive finale that has to go on record as being the most awe-inspiring battle in Touhou thus far. Also, not having to go above the PoC all the goddamn time is an absolute blessing.

Spoiler:
I speaketh not the PC98 tongue.

« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2009, 08:25:37 PM »
no entry in the series currently has a more entertaining Stages 4-6.
I'd take SoEW stage 5 over SA's any day.

maybe

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2009, 08:30:09 PM »
no entry in the series currently has a more entertaining Stages 4-6.
I'd take SoEW stage 5 over SA's any day.

maybe

I meant as an overall package, not individually. Heck, I prefer PCB's stage 6 to SA's.

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2009, 08:40:39 PM »
I don't agree at all with what you guys say about SA. I absolutely hate all of the characters, utsuho seemed interesting but didn't really seem relavent to the world to me, satori's concept is amazing but she's so... boring? And orin is pretty much the ugliest character ever. And with that I also think the art in this game is generally awful, eventough that also seems to be the case with mof and ufo. And about danmaku: Only utsuho is interesting and satori had so much potential but just couldn't get it right. All others are just plain boring.

Slowpoke

• Media Analyst
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2009, 08:41:39 PM »
1. MoF
It's the second easiest, a game I can almost clear. I also like the fact that it's the only Touhou shooter that doesn't involve any dimensional hax. You start in Gensokyo, and you stay in Gensokyo.

2. IN
The only shooter I can clear. Packed with enemies: 11 (counting EX-Keine, Reimu and Marisa) compared to UFO's 7.

3. PCB
I love all the characters, and I like the plot.

4. PoFV
I prefer this over the fighting games. I don't have time to develop skills in two greatly different styles of videogames. Also I love Yuka and Aya.

5. EoSD
Same reason as PCB. The art is less than spectacular, though.

6. MS
This, along with SoEW, has the best music of any game.

7. LLS
Almost tied with MS. I love it so much I based my Art final painting on it.

6. UFO
I like the UFO system. Anything that adds an element of strategy is something I can appreciate. But to be honest I was slightly disappointed with the characters added in the full version.

7. SA
Controversial, I know, SA seems to be everyone's favorite. Like UFO, I like the demo characters more than the rest. Marisa/Patchy is a fun shot type. I don't think the original soundtrack is the best, although people have made great remixes. What I hate most about SA is the plot. I can't make sense of it.

8. PoDD
Fun, but I don't play it as much as PoFV.

9. SoEW
This game trolls me to no end.

10. SWR/Hisoutensoku
I tried to get good at this and couldn't, and again, it's a different kind of game, so time spent on this is time I could be spending practicing shooters. So I've abandoned the fighters.

11. HRtP
Too hard.

12. StB.
10 year olds have beaten more stages than I can.

13. IaMP
I only even played it a couple of times.

I don't agree at all with what you guys say about SA. I absolutely hate all of the characters, utsuho seemed interesting but didn't really seem relavent to the world to me, satori's concept is amazing but she's so... boring? And orin is pretty much the ugliest character ever. And with that I also think the art in this game is generally awful, eventough that also seems to be the case with mof and ufo. And about danmaku: Only utsuho is interesting and satori had so much potential but just couldn't get it right. All others are just plain boring.

I agree with you in some ways. When I first saw Utsuho I thought ZUN had gone completely insane, and maybe that's why she has fans. I dunno. And I agree on Rin, I find her costume ugly. As for Satori, I don't like the way ZUN drew her, but overall I like her character.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 08:44:46 PM by Slowpoke »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2009, 08:54:14 PM »
12. StB.
10 year olds have beaten more stages than I can.

Heh. I oughta post that replay again.

REF: A ten-year-old cousin of mine cleared Level 1 Stage 1 of Shoot the Bullet on her third try.

EDIT: I attached her replay. Download and enjoy the gaem skillz of a ten-year-old girl!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 09:01:51 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2009, 08:59:42 PM »
1) EoSD (first impressions and all that)
2) SWR/UNL (I fail at fighters)

Haven't played the others yet.