Author Topic: What's your general skill level?  (Read 11588 times)

Smokey

• Not the cat
Re: What's your general skill level?
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2014, 03:08:15 AM »
According to these sharts, my skill level is
Spoiler:
OVER 9000!!!!
XD

SIRookie

• I have no idea what I'm doing
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2014, 04:47:37 AM »
Somewhere around a "2" on both of the scales. I don't really play on easy, but I can get to stage 5 consistently. I usually play on normal and can easily get to stage 4 but go down on the boss (usually their final spell), and on the times I've tried hard I can get to stage 2. I'm not willing to try lunatic just yet. It's not really limited to any particular game, although since my initial runs a few months ago when I was going down in stage 3 (E) and stage 2 (N), I'd say I'm progressing slowly, but progressing nonetheless.

I don't really care how comparatively poorly I preform, I watch other people's replays (high score and/or 1cc) to try to figure out how to beat certain patterns/get out with the most lives/get a good score/get gud/whatever

Although I would like to clear something one of these days...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 04:51:54 AM by SIRookie »

Emerald Mint

• Gemstone
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2014, 05:15:31 AM »
I consider myself a casual player whose strengths reside in TD and single stage scoring. Survival wise, I'd rate myself 5.5. A straight 10 does not feel like the right award for me, as I always make mistakes from anxiety, avoid extreme tactics that feel impossible and end up in the 50-60% range on average.

Mesarthim

• Oh no, which direction should I move?
  • Clumsy
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2014, 06:22:26 AM »
I don't rate myself numerically. I can clear half of the games on lunatic, all on hard, and all extras.

Hard 1cc: 4 (LLS), 6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW)13 (TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)
Lunatic 1cc: 8 (IN), 9 (PoFV), 11 (SA), 12.8 (GFW), 14 (DDC)
Extra Clear: 4 (LLS) ,5 (MS) ,6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW),13(TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2014, 07:57:44 AM »
I guess i should be almost rank 4.....

I've played only EoSD for now and can 1cc Normal. Atm i'm getting close to clear the Extra Stage while training in Lunatic (Patchy please don't rape me every single time T_T)

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2014, 12:37:16 PM »
Hmm...
Wherever you are  , there seems to be someone wanting to classify all players ...

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2014, 01:37:25 PM »
I don't want to bother with those numbers, so words will do.

My general skill level? Rusty as hell since I haven't played in a long time. :V But I am otherwise a solidly Lunatic player, having 1cc'd all the main Windows shooters on that difficulty. My focus is more on survival play than scoring, and I am familiar enough with the aforementioned games to have achieved no-bomb 1ccs on several of them and a one-life clear on another. Even though I've always touted my ability to memorize static/aimed patterns quickly, I also take a bit of pride in how I approach my dodging ability, which I think leaves me a lot more room for error in case the pattern gets nasty. However, I don't have a whole lot of patience for scoring. I've tried it with a few games, but it's not something I can really keep myself doing for too long without it becoming a chore.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2014, 02:36:31 PM »
I don't really know how to classify myself along the scale others are using, but I'd probably consider myself one of the better players around here. I managed to perfect every boss pre-DDC if only out of sheer tenacity, and am pretty consistent at all lunatic modes in the shmup games (I'm...less consistent in the fighting/phantasmagoria games). But, I never do any of the challenges other people do beyond lunatic such as VoWG timeout, so that would exclude me from all those upper-tier requirements - the only no bomb 1cc of lunatic I've ever done is PCB, and that had a couple unintentional border breaks (and one semi-intentional one, though I think my life stock implies I would have 1cc'd anyway).
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Fuyuumi

• A fairy pichuu'ed me.
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2014, 06:43:45 PM »
1cc'd easy IN as team A and D. My level is 2.5, I guess... ?

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2014, 06:52:46 PM »
Hmm...
Wherever you are  , there seems to be someone wanting to classify all players ...
It's a problem of human nature. :P

Pirated

• Fairy of Average Intelljence
  • Touhou... that's an anime, right?
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2014, 07:57:42 PM »
Main Series (including PC-98):
I'm more of an okay player. On any game (except 10, 11 and 12) I can 1cc easy, and go through normal and hard. On TD,  due to the insane 9 continues you are given on lunatic, I can beat it with a couple of continues in reserve. In 10, 11 and 12, due to the fact that you can't continue on the spot and are you are given 2 lives every time you continue, 1ccing is required. I cannot beat any stage 6 boss with 2 lives. So I have 1cc'ed on easy every game, but on 10, 11, and 12, I haven't even beat normal.

Photography:
Not very good. I can only get up to stage 3 on StB, and 5 on DS. The games are a matter of diligence and patience. After about 50 failed attempts. I lose it.

Phantasmagoria:
Pretty good for 9. I can beat easy, normal, hard, and extra without a sweat. Lunatic gets a little crazy, but I can beat if I'm using Tewi. As for 3, I can only do easy and normal. One thing I find weird is people who can't 1cc a phantasmagoria. The game is just a matter of if you're good enough to defeat the boss. Sure, you might lose 1 life, but not 1cc is a foreign concept to me.

Fairy Wars:
Terrible. I can barely beat easy, I cannot pass level 2 on normal. I didn't know fairies were so strong.

Fighting:
Average player. I can beat easy and normal just fine, but hard gives me a challenge. Lunatic is off limits for me.

Overall, I find myself to be just an okay player. Not terrible, but not very good. Just average. :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 02:34:51 AM by Pirated »

1cc N: PoDD, LLS, MS, PoFV
1cc H: You're joking, right?

Zil

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2014, 10:19:38 PM »
You're saying the best you can 1cc is Easy in most games, but you can 1cc Lunatic in PoFV playing as Tewi?

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2014, 10:51:37 PM »
But Tewi has autobomb :P

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2014, 02:00:33 AM »
I'm a meh player.

I can consistently clear Easy (not sure about that; only plays Normal), and can reach around Stage 4 or 5 in Normal. If I'm lucky, I'll get to 6, but that's very rare.

As for Extra stages, every one of them, I can get to the boss and maybe get past three or four spell cards if I have the resources. Except for SA. SA is Hell.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2014, 02:32:23 AM »
I'm somewhere between "I suck" and "replacement keyboard".

Phoenix-P

• Reisen...it's punishment time...
  • One Optical Camouflage please
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2014, 04:10:41 PM »
i think im between 2.5 and 3, easy is no problem in what i have played, normal is the one im currently trying to beat in most games. Right now the only normal 1cc i've done is IN with Reimu/Yukari, cleared normal with sakuya/remilia all continues and got to Stage 6 (died on eirin's first spellcard) in hard using Reimu/yukari but with all continues. SA in easy 1cc with all shot types, and normal with Reimu/Aya, all continues. FW...easy 1cc all routes but cant win normal yet  :V

in fighting games im quite good, playing in lunatic is the main difficulty but without counting the story mode, there im around normal and hard (Hisoutensoku with sanae: whyy reimuu?!!!)
The Power of Baka!

Szayelaporro Granz

• You can't use spellcards within my range
  • since I've already analyzed and sealed them all
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2014, 04:37:03 PM »
I think it's best to talk about details rather than numbers...

Main series: I'm pretty good at it as vertical danmaku shooting game is what I play Touhou for. I breeze through Easy, can easily clear all games on Normal (I'm a bit lazy with SA), have recently cleared several on Hard and Lunatic still requires at least 1-2 continues. I've cleared Extra on about the half of main games. Danmakufu feels too unbalanced(?) for me, so I only play it for fun.

Phantasmagoria: Also equally good with main series, in fact I treat both as the same. I've recently cleared Lunatic, but I haven't done it on match mode let alone Hard.

Photography: I've stopped for a long time, so I'm very rusty with it. StB (especially stage 10) is crazy and I haven't unlocked Extra yet, my old DS dat file is in my broken laptop and I'm way too lazy to redo the whole thing. Once my step uncle gets some datas out of my broken laptop I'm sure I'll do this again, good times :) This's pretty much the last glimpse of my beloved old DS.

Fighting: A complete noob. Can only beat easy modo, sometimes with 1-2 continues. I guess it's true that most players who are bad in fighting games are significantly better in bullet hell and vice versa :wat:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:26:03 PM by Yomihime »
Normal 1cc: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC / Hard 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF*, TD / Lunatic 1cc: PoFV / Extra 1cc: EoSD, PCB (+P), IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
*Bug abuse.
Feel free to watch my crappy replays and twitch channel
My favorite touhou music

Koog

• I live to protect those dear to me,
  • as a good friend would.
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2014, 07:21:40 PM »
Level 3 Loves playing PoFV with Lyrica and also beat story mode Normal with her, and IN Normal with Remi and Sakuya... I'm now playing SA Normal and EoSD, still losing to Patchouli/Satori.
Mwahahahahha!

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2014, 09:24:24 PM »
Well, if we're going to break it down by category ...

PC-98: This is a paradox for me, because while I enjoy the games more on Hard, I haven't 1cc'd any of them. And in stages where the color clash between bullets and backgrounds is straight-up painful, I just don't even bother. Not hating; I just haven't made enough of an effort in PC-98 to be able to even rank myself.
Skill Level: Nameless Fairy

Windows Era: I have 1cc'd IN, MoF and DDC on Easy and Normal. Where the other games are concerned, on Normal, I used to be lucky to reach the beginning of Stage 6, usually dying somewhere before the Stage 5 boss fight. Then I took the sage advice to try playing runs on Hard to get better at Normal, and have since reached the ability to die somewhere in the final boss fight.
Skill Level: Diligent Kappa

Fightan Games: I putzed around a little with IaMP; couldn't get SWR to run with any effectiveness; and had no interest in HM. If I want to play a fighting game, I'll spam A in Mortal Kombat. Sorry.
Skill Level: N/A

Photography Games: Level 8 or 9 in StB (can't remember, as I lost my save file when I got a new hard drive, started over, and by that time DS came out, so I'm only up to Level 5 there) and Level 9 in DS.
Skill Level: Arise, Chickun

Phantasmagoria Games: PoDD is my favorite PC-98 game. I remember getting ... pretty far? On Normal anyway. PoFV gave me freezing issues for the longest time, but on Normal as Reisen, Stage 9 is usually what ruins me.
Skill Level: A useless bunny, only good for my sex appeal

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2014, 10:21:09 PM »
I'd been at about a 3.5-4ish level(at the time I'd 1cc'd MoF and PCB Normal, and beaten Phantasm in PCB somehow, along with at least being able to 3-5cc PCB Hard relatively routinely), but after a while of nonplaying I ended up reducing pretty badly and now I'm probably about Level 2.  (Levels according to the infographic in Reply #2)

Trying occasionally to play stuff I used to be able to and getting mauled.  Maybe I should try the 'Play Hard to beat Normal' thing, too, like Ammy up there.

Also the farthest I've made it in MoF's Extra is to I think Seven Stones or something, while IN's extra which I unlocked with Easy mode because I'm lame now, the farthest I've gotten is Mokou's...3rd card or so, I wanna say.

So yeah, was about 3.5-4, bumped down to 2 due to rust, slowly trying to work on returning to my former level when the tons of other things I like to do don't distract me.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Szayelaporro Granz

• You can't use spellcards within my range
  • since I've already analyzed and sealed them all
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2014, 10:24:30 PM »
Gotta love Tengukami's "skill level" :derp:
Normal 1cc: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC / Hard 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF*, TD / Lunatic 1cc: PoFV / Extra 1cc: EoSD, PCB (+P), IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
*Bug abuse.
Feel free to watch my crappy replays and twitch channel
My favorite touhou music

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2014, 10:37:36 PM »
I'm trying my best to become a secondary again.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2014, 10:52:07 PM »
To break it down into different categories-

Main games: 2.5-3.5. I am very bad at shmups. I don't have any inherent talent in this kind of game at all. Definitely improved a lot since I started, but my time investment just isn't there yet due to the relative infrequency that I can find the time to play.

Phantasmagoria: 4-5. I've probably played PoFV more than any other Touhou game in the last year and have gotten sort of good at it. I can reliably clear Normal and can make a decent attempt at Hard, although I haven't invested enough time in single-player to clear much above Normal yet. I have never play PoDD.

Photography games: I have no idea, I've never played either of them. Bad I assume.

Fighting games: I haven't played any of them in quite a while, but probably 5-6. I'm definitely better at fighting games than I am at shooters, although I don't know that the amount of practice it takes to get competent with the fighting games is really the same as being equivalently good at the shooting games. It certainly isn't for me.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Pirated

• Fairy of Average Intelljence
  • Touhou... that's an anime, right?
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2014, 01:45:32 AM »
You're saying the best you can 1cc is Easy in most games, but you can 1cc Lunatic in PoFV playing as Tewi?
PoFV is just a matter of strategy. I spend a lot of time playing it, so I'm okay at it. It's much easier than most main series. I think it's because all of the lifelines. If you're stuck with a heap load of bullets, just use your gauge attack.  Need to fill up the gauge? Just defeat the boss or Lily to get a gauge fill.
As for the 1cc, it happened once. I'm sure it's out of freak (or Tewi's?)  luck.  :P

1cc N: PoDD, LLS, MS, PoFV
1cc H: You're joking, right?

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2014, 08:43:25 AM »
"Normal" Games:
I like to think myself as around hard mode (almost?) even if I've never bothered to clear it in any game, go figure. I attempt lunatic mode from time to time to feel like I'm bomberman. (What is Stage Practice?)
Feel sad because I haven't beaten all the Extras yet.

Fighters:
No idea.

Photo games:
Pretty good since I've cleared most of them, because of the great amount of attempts I put in the scenes. Still have a hard time to get used to Aya's incredible speed.

Phantasmagorias/GFW:
I have no idea what I'm doing.
Couldn't even 1cc against Yumemi Crosspam on Normal ;_;
Still fun though

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2014, 11:58:15 AM »
"Normal" Games: I can clear extra difficulties and hard mode without much effort. Hard ufo can be troublesome. I believe i have cleared lunatic EoSD and MoF(almost? can't remember).

PoFV is my specialty out of all touhou games, clearing anything there is not an issue.

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2014, 12:22:31 PM »
Clears Easy consistently. On Normal usually dies at Stage 5 or 6. Haven't bothered with Hard or Lunatic at all

« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2014, 01:55:52 PM »
I am completely incompetent at everything.

Thanbo

• Wow! I can have a "Custom Title" now!?
  • Take risks! No regrets...
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2014, 03:30:40 PM »
"Normal" Games:
I'm slowly climbing up that "hard ladder", I kept bomb hugging in extra stages and failed them... I think I dislike bombing...

Fighters:
seen through all the storylines on normal.

Photo games:
Beat up those pictures. The number of shots in some scenes is roughly over 1k.

I personally like the photo games more than any of the "normal" games because of the vast creativity in it... and probably because there's no bomb too.

Let's not talk about POFV...

« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2014, 12:44:42 AM »
I am rank 0