Author Topic: What's your general skill level?  (Read 11590 times)

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
  • ♪ Present World Overhaul ♪
What's your general skill level?
« on: April 18, 2014, 09:22:28 AM »
I noticed a lot of people play at different difficulties here. :V I'm probably more towards the lower-middle "tier", so to speak.

What difficulty level do you manage, on average? Extras aside, assuming. I can do Normal, most of the time, depends on shot type. I'm not good with very narrow-ranged shot types. I need a good range on the shot type to be able to use it or outright have some sort of homing capabilities, but otherwise Normal is my typical skill level. I'm _slowly_ moving up to hard, but outside of the one time I managed it recently with EoSD I've yet to actually survive a Hard mode, and I'm still working on Normal for several characters and shot types in several games.

What about yourselves?
I play Touhou on Twitch and YouTube. I'm not that good, but I'm informative when I can be. Follow me.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
Re: What's your general skill level?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 09:40:30 AM »
Code: [Select]
0----1----2----3----4----5----6----7----8----9----10
-----E-------N------------H-------L--------L+---LNN--OFF THE CHARTS
--------------------------------------*------------
I felt like making it a chart, where the letter means "can consistently clear that difficulty" up until LNN where it just means "has perfected a lunatic".  I can't consistently do lunatic with any conditions applied, but I can consistently clear lunatics quite handily.  The exact scale might not be completely respective of an overall skill level, but it's approximate based on what I feel the gaps are for the difficulties-can't say for certain around the 8.

Szayelaporro Granz

• You can't use spellcards within my range
  • since I've already analyzed and sealed them all
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 09:45:37 AM »
*borrows off ARF's chart*

Let's see... I'm somewhere between level 5 and 6. Not that proud with that. I'd like to scrap the retirement part though. Touhou is too fun to quit.
Normal 1cc: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC / Hard 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF*, TD / Lunatic 1cc: PoFV / Extra 1cc: EoSD, PCB (+P), IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
*Bug abuse.
Feel free to watch my crappy replays and twitch channel
My favorite touhou music

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 09:53:21 AM »
Huh, my arbitrary placements are very close to ARF's arbitrary placements of things, cool.  By both charts I'm around a 7.6 though, but again, totally arbitrary number.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 10:07:08 AM »
Somewhere between ⑨ and 1.

Smokey

• Not the cat
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 10:07:51 AM »
Below average, sadly. I spend lots of time practicing (sometimes more than 2 hours a day!) and I can still only consistently LNN SA. :(

Drake

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 10:14:07 AM »
I can still only consistently LNN SA. :(
reactionimage.jpg

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Szayelaporro Granz

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 10:22:14 AM »
Somewhere between ⑨ and 1.
Badass.
Normal 1cc: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC / Hard 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF*, TD / Lunatic 1cc: PoFV / Extra 1cc: EoSD, PCB (+P), IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
*Bug abuse.
My favorite touhou music

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 10:23:15 AM »
By that chart I guess I'm possibly around Level 4, then.
I play Touhou on Twitch and YouTube. I'm not that good, but I'm informative when I can be. Follow me.

Noobzor

• Grazing is fun
  • I like grazing
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 10:26:35 AM »
I'm 6.5, yay!
Hard 1cc's: all windows games :3
Lunatic 1cc's: EoSD, PoFV, PCB
My replays

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 10:30:20 AM »
Can we please not do this? It has been discussed before that there are some people on this board that constantly shit on themselves and for some reason that annoys some people. Now you're making a thread that is literally just asking for posts that contain an easy stage 1 game over or something with a tag saying "my approximate skilllevel". Selfevaluation is very difficult and oftentimes flawed. 9 out of 10 people will either overestimate or underestimate themselves. Generally speaking. Trying to assign a number to skill is even worse (no offense intended towards either IHNN or Yomihime, nothing of what you said was wrong). Why do I say that?

In Arf's chart, playing for score is rated a 10. It does not differentiate between playing for a scrubscore on easy mode compared to going for a WR on lunatic mode. It puts those 2 players on the same level. Some of you might be saying that that is only a problem on the 10-rating range, but that's not true. Compare someone who can consistently clear LNB with 3-5 misses to someone who just barely cleared an LNB once or twice. Again, they're put on the same level when the former is actually quite a bit better. As IHNN said: It's arbitrary.

Saying what sort of things you have done is more objective, but that leads to the following: What's the point? That would be no different from the first two pages of every achievement thread we have. Not to mention that in some cases, there might be people that get offended at the bragging of the better players. Since I would feel uncomfortable using other people as examples, I'll go with myself. Some people here seem, for some reason, to think that I'm competent in any way. I personally don't agree, but that's okay. Now if I posted of past achievements, people would go like "you had a WR and still say you're bad? I feel offended, muh comfortzone/confidence. Don't apply your crazy standards to us etc." And then we have another senseless and endless discussion, similar to what we had here. To me, and a few other people I know (and have already posted here), this feels like a shitposting thread, which I know is something MoTK tries to avoid. This is basically the player version of Powerlevel-discussion. Or at least I can see it becoming just that

This is strictly personal, but I would rather see this thread being closed for reasons stated above. Whether a team member agrees with me or not is, of course, an entirely different matter. And to actually not get completely offtopic, this is my approximate skilllevel

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 10:32:38 AM by Sakurei »

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 10:49:06 AM »
[...]

This is strictly personal, but I would rather see this thread being closed for reasons stated above. Whether a team member agrees with me or not is, of course, an entirely different matter. And to actually not get completely offtopic, this is my approximate skilllevel

I agree with a lot of the mentioned points, though I'm against rating your "skill" using numbers in general - there's just something irritating about using numbers to express your capabilities, whether it's because the system does not make a lot of sense or because expressing your "skill" using a number automatically puts you above or below someone else. Quite frankly, numbers are sometimes best left out of certain things, and this is, in my opinion, one of those cases.

I'm not saying I want this to be locked - however, those who eagerly jump into the whole numbers-game should be aware of the implications and decide whether they want to participate or not.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 11:22:38 AM by Lepetit89 »

Szayelaporro Granz

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 11:04:35 AM »
I don't take the numbers very seriously, just doing it for fun. I bet there are easy mode players out there who only score on Easy, which I find rather amazing and silly itself. But overall, I think I'm just a mediocre player. While I admit I'm somewhat jealous to veteran players, I don't rush whenever it comes about Touhou or else I'll just hurt myself while I'm supposed to enjoy the game.
*Bug abuse.
My favorite touhou music

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 11:39:45 AM »
I'm not saying I want this to be locked - however, those who eagerly jump into the whole numbers-game should be aware of the implications and decide whether they want to participate or not.
I like objective metrics more than subjective metrics, even though I'll be the first to admit that I pretty much pulled those numbers out of nowhere (by that, I mean vague memories of results of Touhou popularity polls).  I'll also be the first to admit that there's multiple types of skill involved in this, so one number doesn't mean much of anything.  But hey, it's a game and it's fun.

In Arf's chart, playing for score is rated a 10. It does not differentiate between playing for a scrubscore on easy mode compared to going for a WR on lunatic mode. It puts those 2 players on the same level. Some of you might be saying that that is only a problem on the 10-rating range, but that's not true. Compare someone who can consistently clear LNB with 3-5 misses to someone who just barely cleared an LNB once or twice. Again, they're put on the same level when the former is actually quite a bit better. As IHNN said: It's arbitrary.
The 'playing for score' is a partially joking placement, from what I remember.*  Every other point on his chart I would view as a progression-you reach it by achieving it, and the more consistent you get the closer you get to the next point.  That said, I think a better question that could have been asked is "what difficulty do you usually play on", which I think is what the original intent was.  (obviously, with further questions such as "what do you do on that difficulty", but as Sakurei mentioned, that could turn into the opening of an accomplishments thread very very quickly)

*disclaimer: playing for score, especially on lunatic, is quite insane and definitely deserves the top.  As Sakurei mentioned, though, it doesn't make an explicit distinction, though I do still believe one is implicit there.

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 12:09:22 PM »
I consider myself an off the charts 12/10 by IHNN's chart.  I know how to 1cc games.  I am the best in the west.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 12:11:36 PM by Great Birdhou Daishougakusen »

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 12:18:04 PM »
I like objective metrics more than subjective metrics, even though I'll be the first to admit that I pretty much pulled those numbers out of nowhere (by that, I mean vague memories of results of Touhou popularity polls).
I'm sorry for interrupting a post not to mention Touhou. But what triggered one of my pet peeves that I would like to rant a little time. For some reason, people believe that sticking numbers on anything done instantly objective. This, however, is far from the truth. All that application numbers is allow to associate the rigorously defined properties, for instance notions of order and arithmetic basic, as a model for what you are trying to study. It does not, however, make inquiries of any other land in the truth, as opposed to opinion, which is what it should be to be truly objective.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 12:20:36 PM »
I'm somewhere around 5.8 on ARF's chart. I'm CLOSE to 1ccing Lunatic, but not quite there yet. Meanwhile I occupy myself with challenge runs on lower difficulties just to see what m experience with Hard and Lunatic has given me.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

ElDestructoe

• This one time
  • I got all the way to stage 2
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 12:33:12 PM »
I'm 2dx/10.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 12:41:08 PM »
I tear Easy apart, feel myself comfortable in Normal, slowly claw at Hard and am not scared by Lunatic. I'd say I'm at 4. Shinugayoi.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 01:41:50 PM »

I agree with this, and with Sakurei (by the way guys, don't be scared of the Report button - it's just a Batsignal for someone on staff to come look at a post or thread; not an automatic lock/delete/ban button).

If this is a comedy thread, go nuts. But if this is an actual attempt at an objective measure of your Touhou Power Level, then it just strikes me as a e-peen measuring contest.

Btw, my general skill level is somewhere between tengu and kappa.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 01:50:53 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 01:48:41 PM »
Secondary as HELL and damn proud of it.

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 01:56:13 PM »
I don't take the numbers very seriously, just doing it for fun. I bet there are easy mode players out there who only score on Easy, which I find rather amazing and silly itself. But overall, I think I'm just a mediocre player. While I admit I'm somewhat jealous to veteran players, I don't rush whenever it comes about Touhou or else I'll just hurt myself while I'm supposed to enjoy the game.

By ARF's chart, I'm a definite level 10!!! EZ modo scoring insta level 10. On a serious note, I can clear most games on Hard and a few on Lunatic, that's the extent of my clearing ability anyway. I usually prefer to just score Easy / Normal anyhow.

Visit #sokumaidens on irc.ppirc.net for discussion and matchmaking for a wide variety of fighting games!
Feel free to message me if you need anything!

Szayelaporro Granz

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 02:18:18 PM »
^Nice. My scoring ability is near zero because I only focus on clearing all games until Lunatic, then I can focus on LNB and stage practice LNMNB. Scoring is out of question for now :)
*Bug abuse.
My favorite touhou music

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 03:49:06 PM »
I guess I'm in the 6-7 range, closer to six than seven. I can't handle L90FPS but I want to clear that eventually.

Oh

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 04:22:31 PM »
4.20/10

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2014, 06:34:17 PM »
Normal is pretty easy for me (except in SA). I can 1cc hard if it's a good day. I can beat lunatic on some games but only with excessive bomb spamming. So probably a solid 5/10.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2014, 12:12:48 AM »
I tear Easy apart, feel myself comfortable in Normal, slowly claw at Hard and am not scared by Lunatic. I'd say I'm at 4. Shinugayoi.
I'm pretty much what you said except that Lunatic still DOES scare me.

Jirachi

• Wish Maker
  • yawn...
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2014, 12:28:00 AM »
5/10, can clear most games on Lunatic but that's it.

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2014, 12:55:10 AM »
In the end. There's no real "Best" player. At least not in the western community. (Not even in Japan, considering how so many people specialize in different things). Since a best player would have to be good at both scoring and survival in all categories and all games. Since there are so many games, people specialize in different ones and go far with them. Some people main only one, and have got to extreme levels. But there's also which have gotten good general scores in most of the games.

I think that it's best to not worry about how good you are compared to others, or at least not take it too seriously. Because in the end, as long as you're having fun with the game, it shouldn't matter if someone's better or worse. Plus, putting "best player ever" labels on people may rub off on people the other way.

-

As for how I feel about my playing in general. I've come a long way. I hope to see what kinda achievements I'll cook up in 2014~

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:56:44 AM by Mino ☆ »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2014, 01:04:23 AM »
Probably somewhere in the range of 2.5 to 3.5. Which I'm totally comfortable with, given that getting that high has been quite a ride for me.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.