Author Topic: Phantasmagoria of Dim. Dream  (Read 5153 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Phantasmagoria of Dim. Dream
« on: August 02, 2009, 10:11:51 AM »
I have issues with PoFV - if I don't hit the Z button at juuuust the right time at the end of a stage, it will either freeze or crash. The only two things that console me are 1) I bought the official CD of this game, and 2) installed it on my wife's Windows XP machine.

However, going through the PC-98 games recently, I started playing Phantasmagoria of Dim. Dream and I have to say, this is a very good game. Perhaps even better than PoFV.

I can't be the only one who plays this, so what are your thoughts? Any favorites PCs/stages/bosses/spellcards? Let it all out.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: Phantasmagoria of Dim. Dream
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 10:17:02 AM »
I agree that it is a better game than PoFV, because it is a fairer game. No matter how many times you die, your chances of defeating a boss are the same in terms of the computer AI. This way, the game doesn't pity you as you lose lives.

I have to say that its lunatic is absolutely brutal though. It takes a lot of effort to beat this game on it period, let alone 1cc. The bullets are fast and the charge attacks are (mostly) fierce. However, there is a lot less focus on "LOL I WALL YOU IN" than in PoFV (the one big factor that makes me despise the game) and more "can you dodge this," which is what Touhou's all about.

And anyone who doesn't love Kana and Chiyuri and Yumemi are heathens.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 10:21:19 AM »
It'd be great if the patterns weren't so ridiculous at the higher end... other than that I have no quarrels about it either.

'nut video post Strange things happened.

@'nut: "walling" in PoFV rarely happens if you know how to "control" the incoming bullets.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 10:57:07 AM by BaitySM »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

nintendonut888

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 10:28:26 AM »
...WTF happened to that video? It's now 1:03 long, and super speedy.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 10:56:45 AM »
What. Well damn. Might as well cross it off.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 05:39:57 PM »
PoFV is probably better.

I want to know how well this runs on the actual PC-9801.
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 08:33:53 PM »
I simply can't agree with the TC. Most clone games have that aspect of "tried really hard, but didn't quite get it". This is the case of HoD and PoDD. They are good, but if you play the game they're based on, you might not want to play the clones again. After playing TSS, I saw what the Amusement Makers were trying to achieve, and also noticed that the gameplay in it is still a lot better, not to mention the visuals and sounds.

When ZUN developed PoFV, he took a step away from PoDD (and consequently TSS) by making the bomb system integrated with the charge system and making more out of the focus ability. These made PoFV become a game on its own, rather than completely inspired on TSS.
The result is that I won't play PoDD when I can turn on my DS and play TSS, but I might still want to play PoFV and even Kioh Gyoku because the three are different.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 08:37:12 PM »
@donut:  By calling PoDD fair I'm assuming you mean "in PoDD you have to get the AI to glitch in order to score a hit EVERY TIME instead of just in the first round".

Also, Rikako > Chiyuri :P

Also, there's more "walling" in PoDD than there is in PoFV (so say Chiyuri and Yumemi).

Also, the above poster is correct.  I still like the PoDD soundtrack though.

Also, also.

nintendonut888

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 08:41:21 PM »
I can heartily disagree. To make up for the AI never getting easier, the AI is pretty weak until stage 7. While it does come down to outlasting the opponent, there's actual strategy to outlasting the opponent. If you just blindly fire, of course you're gonna get walled. Trust me, I had to learn this the hard way. >_>

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 08:51:41 PM »
Well, the AI is problematic in both Phantasmagorias...

In my opinion, ZUN should have asked for help to make different AI levels, but what is past is past.