Author Topic: Least Favorite Spell Cards?  (Read 27909 times)

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
Re: Least Favorite Spell Cards?
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 01:32:10 AM »
Am I, like, the only person who likes Eirin better than Kaguya?

Sure, Eirin's second and third nonspells are retarded and so is Omoikane, but so are Kaguya's second noncard and... basically all of her spell cards.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2009, 01:34:46 AM »
Honestly, Having to face Eirin > Impossible LOLquests.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2009, 01:39:33 AM »
I find Kaguya enjoyable to fight. The only attack of hers I don't like is Salamander Shield.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2009, 02:36:52 AM »
Eirin's just...meh.  Of all 6A, I find Apollo 13 and Astronomical Entombing to be the most enjoyable (Yes, I actually like Apollo 13 for some strange reason).  Other than those, her attacks are mostly either lame visual tricks or simply easy.  And Hourai Elixer is just... stupid.  Kaguya, on the other hand, has a mediocre theme song and the worst attack in the entire series, which I admit can be difficult to take, but aside from those I find her much more enjoyable.

Of course, that's all just my opinion.

Furthermore, I keep hearing a lot of people say that Kaguya's boss fight is BS/luckgarbage, and I've no idea where they're getting that from.  I mean, her attacks are definitely really hard, but none of it ever seemed as unfair as, say, half of what Remilia throws at you.  imo, The only luck-based stuff she really has are Buddhist Daimond and the last wave of Rising World, and even those usually have an opening if you look hard enough (well, usually >.>).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 04:18:11 AM by Azinth »

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2009, 02:37:39 AM »
I find Kaguya enjoyable to fight. The only attack of hers I don't like is Salamander Shield.
Hourai Jewel FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I'm not a fan of Life Spring Infinity, mostly because I suck at thinking backwards, and Salamander Shield just wrecks me, but Hourai Jewel...I just CAN'T GET THE TIMING DOWN.  Bloody enraging card.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2009, 07:08:48 AM »
I have a new hate: Kogasa's "Parasol Star Memories", fuck this card, I clip death worst on this card than Hina's mid-boss spell.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2009, 09:50:45 PM »
I actually like Eirin's attacks, minus the hideously bad ones mentioned earlier.  Astronomical Entombing is entirely possible (more so than Scarlet Gensokyo) without a human.  Game of Rising is just an awesome attack to watch.

Kaguya has... a Sakuya-like opener, bright lasers on a white background tightly spaced with random bullets falling into the cracks, ridiculously dense random bullets, luckgarbage, a decent nonspell, a formulaic but legitimate spell card, a rather annoying noncard with too much HP, Swallow's Cowrie Shell in its awkwardness, and Hourai Jewel in its... well, you know.

Remilia only randomly walls you in with Vampire Illusion and Scarlet Gensokyo.  Kaguya randomly walls you in with every attack up to her third noncard.

Drake

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2009, 10:07:01 PM »
Pretty much Kaguya is the worst boss in all of ever.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2009, 04:27:35 AM »
I have no idea why, but it really annoys me at how Release of the Id I have little trouble with, but Superego I die every time (despite the fact that it's really Id BACKWARDS).

Oh, and Double Death Black Butterfly can go to hell, as well as all of Kanako's spellcards.

?lice Bl?ckb?rn

• The real Alice Blackbarn!
  • "OH DESIRE"
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2009, 05:07:54 AM »
The only luck-based stuff she really has are Buddhist Daimond and the last wave of Rising World, and even those usually have an opening if you look hard enough (well, usually >.>).
Wait, so you think Rising World is luck-based (it...isn't) and you think Life Spring Infinity isn't (jesus I swear that thing is 99% luck)? That doesn't make any sense at all I mean what.

Other than that, glad to finally see *someone* else who thinks that Apollo 13 is a lot of fun. It used to be my favourite spellcard for a bit, and still is one of my favourites.
"Oh, great. Another game where I get screwed by Kilga." ~ Carthrat

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2009, 05:42:53 AM »
Remilia only randomly walls you in with Vampire Illusion and Scarlet Gensokyo.  Kaguya randomly walls you in with every attack up to her third noncard.

You forgot Young Demon Lord at Max Rank and Scarlet Meister (though the latter's less about walling and more about Remi randomly moving off to the far reaches of the screen where you can't damage her).  And of course there's also Midboss Sakuya and all the hilarity that she brings.  btw, Kaguya's second nonspell is pseudo-aimed at you initially and can be misdirected.  Good thing too, since otherwise it actually is quite BS.

Wait, so you think Rising World is luck-based (it...isn't) and you think Life Spring Infinity isn't (jesus I swear that thing is 99% luck)? That doesn't make any sense at all I mean what.

Well, not so much luck-based as just really random in its difficulty.  Sometimes I barely get anything thrown at me, while other times I have to pull the most ridiculous stunts ever to survive.  Maybe I'll think differently when my skill improves some more.

And for LSI, it became quite doable once I realized two things:  That Kaguya's movements depend on your position relative to her (thanks to Baity for that helpful tip), and that the lasers are lethal for a far shorter amount of time than their animations would suggest (visual trickery of a different type, I suppose :P).  After that, it's just a matter of dodging the stars, then ducking down under Kaguya and between the lasers to avoid the halo-ish shot.  In fact, I'd actually go as far as saying that it's her second easiest (non last spell) spellcard, though still way harder than Salamander Shield.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2009, 06:44:03 AM »
Yeah, honestly. Kaguya's fight in highly misunderstood. The only attack I agree will occasionally BS wall you is her second non-spell. I've fought this fight over 50 times (nowhere near my 250+ fights against Remilia >.>), and I understand most of her attacks.

Her opener has a far less tendency to wall you than Sakuya's opener. It is very rare that you are ever walled off with no prior chance to escape, and I find attacks that force you to quickly find an opening before it's closed off to be fun.

Brilliant Dragon Bullet isn't BS and anyone who says so is just butthurt at its difficulty. While I'd prefer the lasers to give you a bit more time to react, the card is pretty much just bullet reading while dodging high speed lasers.

As people have said, her second non-spell occasionally BS walls you, but let's face it: Most final bosses have at least one attack that can BS wall you. If nothing else, one Reimu death bomb completely ruins the attack by destroying the familiars.

Buddhist Diamond is just claustophobic dodging. I can't say it's the fairest attack in Touhou, but even when you're caught in a vertical shaft, the lasers have a smaller hitbox than you'd think.

Nothing wrong with her third non-spell, really.

Salamander Shield is the only spell card I dislike in this fight. It's just mostly simple streaming most of the time, but switching directions is really annoying. The fact that most people call this her easiest spell card makes me feel like I'm missing some trivial timing thing, which if it's the case, proves further that her fight is perfectly okay.

Her fourth non-spell is pretty easy, but in terms of atmosphere it's the best part of the fight. I always try to time the fight (not in an actual run of course) to have the climax of the song before the loop occur within a few seconds of the attack starting...my pathetic and cheesy love of how the music synchs with the battle aside, there's nothing wrong with this easy non-spell.

Life Spring Infinity...people need to stop >:U ing this spell card. Like Azinth and Baity say, it's always possible to survive. I'm not sure exactly how to manipulate Kaguya's movements, but even without that I die to this attack all the time because I suck at reading the lasers and the stars, as well as getting through the stars safely, and not because Kaguya traps me. Honestly, blaming Kaguya by being in the way of the red bullets is like blaming Suwako for you going the wrong direction in Party Start.

...WTF is with the Hourai Jewel hate? Seriously, what? I don't get it. Do you not like how a final spell card is micromemorizable? Do you not know the timing to change directions safely? Do you dislike the tight dodging you get late in the attack (if you use the same rhythm as me)? What? It's true I used to revile this attack, but it was because back then my computer was in slowdown hell, back when my computer dipped to 20 FPS for a quarter of a second at random intervals, making timing impossible. These days I don't have many gripes with Hourai Jewel beyond its nonexistent margin of error, and even then, it's a final spell card, it's SUPPOSED to be hard.

As for the last spells, I never take those into account with difficulty of a boss fight because they're bonus attacks. As long as I don't completely fuck them all up and make it to Rising World (if I don't, I don't get the epic explosion tm) I'm happy, though I'll say Rising World is either low tier hardest spell card in the series or just below hardest spell card in the series tier.

tl;dr: Stop bullying Kaguya. >:(

In other news, isn't it ironic? Most people talk about Kaguya being the weakest final boss in the series. On higher levels of play we're arguing about her being the hardest in terms of a no bombs run. :P
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2009, 07:03:40 AM »
Quote from: Peoples
Salamander Shield
See description.

EDIT:
LSI
~40 attempts to time it out twice in a row.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfeMNQhUelg
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 07:29:48 AM by BaitySM »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

?lice Bl?ckb?rn

• The real Alice Blackbarn!
  • "OH DESIRE"
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2009, 08:16:10 AM »
Do you not like how a final spell card is micromemorizable?
Um, yes. Are you seriously asking this question?

Quote from: donut
Do you not know the timing to change directions safely?
Even if you know this, it's still very very precise, and a tiny mistake can kill you before you even realise it.

Do you dislike the tight dodging you get late in the attack (if you use the same rhythm as me)?
Never been a fan of claustrophobic slow bullets ever, personally, so no.

It's a final spell card, it's SUPPOSED to be hard.
This is a good place to put my complaints:
VoWG is a hard spellcard. A hard and very good spellcard, one which I will play through stage 6 hundreds of times to go against. Scarlet Gensokyo is a hard spellcard, one which is the perfect finisher to one of the most difficult stages in the series.

What do attacks such as these have in common? They're legitimately difficult, and they're fun. Both of them require fantastic reflexes combined with exceptional pattern-reading skill, and that's what they do - they test skill - someone being able to cap attacks like these is someone who truly is good at these games.

Hourai Jewel on the other hand is difficult because it requires you to memorize a bunch of things. Once you do that it is trivial barring timing errors (which basically fuck you over, see above). Its difficulty comes from the fact that it doesn't test skill, it tests whether or not you've played against it for 400+ times in spell practise before finally capping the blasted thing. Finally, it's boring as shit. With VoWG, you have screen movement, realtime pattern reading, reaction! With Hourai Jewel it's just a matter of timing some simple movements right and repeating them. Ad infinitum, until dead. It's just as boring if not more boring than Source of Rains, another terrible spellcard. And that is why it sucks horribly.
"Oh, great. Another game where I get screwed by Kilga." ~ Carthrat

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2009, 03:28:57 AM »
Anything is on Hard/Extra or Phantasm unless otherwise stated. In some cases the name gives away the difficulty in which case there is no reason to mention it as it would seem weird to write Kimontonkou (on Lunatic) as its called something different on lower difficulties.

EoSD:

-Maid Secret Skill "Killing Doll" - Rank decides if you win or die.
-Secret Barrage "And Then Will There Be None?" - I hate the red trap.

PCB:

-Direction Sign "Kimontonkou": I get hit by an arrowhead i don't see coming. That's annoying.
-Gaki Sword "Storybook of the Gaki Realm" I hate how the bullets move so slow here. It messes me up big time. I don't like how the bullets gets all white either.
-Hell Flame Sword "Flashing Slash Formation as Karma Gust". I can't even begin to explain in how many ways this spell is terrible.
-Asura Sword "Obsession with the Present World" I hate this epll too. Its just so stupid.
-Subtle Melody "Repository of Hirokawa -Phantom-" This is just terrible
-Shikigami's Shot "Unilateral Contact"
-Shikigami "Chen" 
-Sinister Spirits "Double Black Death Butterfly
-Shikigami "Ran Yakumo"
-Yukari's Arcanum "Danmaku Bounded Field"

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
  • Telling a mod to basically fuck off... GOOD IDEA!
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2009, 04:53:09 AM »
Am I, like, the only person who likes Eirin better than Kaguya?

Sure, Eirin's second and third nonspells are retarded and so is Omoikane, but so are Kaguya's second noncard and... basically all of her spell cards.

eirin's cards are actually doable to an extent

kaguya's cards are all pure bs