Author Topic: Difficulty Levels in Games  (Read 25486 times)

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
Difficulty Levels in Games
« on: July 07, 2009, 10:16:08 PM »
So, I'm a newbie at Touhou, been playing for a month and a bit, I'm yet to finish all the games on easy, I keep dying at Yuyuko on PCB, it's the last Windows game for me to finish on easy mode...

I was trying to make something like a beginner guide for what order should I aim to finish the games..

I think the easy list goes like this from easiest to hardest:
IN, PoFV, MoF, EoSD, SA, PCB

Normal mode I think that MoF is the easiest since I've gotten to Kanako twice already... Can anyone make a list ordering the games in normal  and maybe even Hard modes? I'm sure it would help other people like me :)

Edit:

(Gpop) Normal Mode:
MoF, IN, PCB, EoSD, SA

(Drake) Hard Mode:
EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 03:46:12 AM by lmagus »
Current Goal: PCB Lunatic 1cc
Watch me on Youtube

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
Re: Difficulty Levels in Games
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 10:21:04 PM »
MAAAJI? EASY MODE? KIMOI!!!!!

Also: I find PCB to be the easiest one. People keep trying to convince me about IN but, yeah, I might find even EoSD easier than that. MoF seems alright, but I've never played it much. And even REACHING Utsuho is a victory for me... I actually haven't beat her a single time yet (neither Kanako.. I start trying then I "Meh" and gradually lose concentration)
rofl bye

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 10:59:28 PM »
alot of people have different opinions on whats easiest to hardest in the series. I believe the majority opinion (for normal difficulty) is:
easiest to hardest:
IN,
MoF,
PCB/EoSD (tied, though PCB may be harder if you don't use the input lag patch thingie..are you using it on easy btw? DO IT NOW)
SA (duh, no dispute here).

I personally find IN and MoF to be more difficult than people make it out to be though.

EoSD is probably easier than IN on easy because it completely lacks a stage 6 on easy, which is kinda unfair. Try comparing IN to stage 5 only >=P.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 11:27:41 PM »
I think LLS easy may be the easiest of them all, considering NORMAL is as easy as most easy modes. Again though, it lacks a stage 6. :P

I was gonna help, but then I realized that I'm in no way qualified to rank easy modes. >_>
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 11:41:13 PM »
what is this input lag patch? o_o
Watch me on Youtube

Gpop

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 11:45:30 PM »
I think LLS easy may be the easiest of them all, considering NORMAL is as easy as most easy modes. Again though, it lacks a stage 6. :P

I was gonna help, but then I realized that I'm in no way qualified to rank easy modes. >_>

If I recall correctly, there IS a stage 6. You just fight Yuka again though.

Now I can't really rank Easy mode since I haven't played them in a LONG time. Maybe I'll get my sister to play all of them and ask what her opinion is.

nintendonut888

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 11:47:35 PM »
No, I mean LLS is like EoSD, in that the game automatically ends on stage 5 with easy mode. In this game, you also lose on any difficulty if you continue before or during stage 6.

Anyway, TC, look at this thread:

http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?topic=357.0

Find Phar's post and follow the instructions given from then on. The input lag patch fixes the game to make your movements more precise. It's a godsend, as EoSD and PCB suffer a lot from delayed controls.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Gpop

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 11:52:22 PM »
No, I mean LLS is like EoSD, in that the game automatically ends on stage 5 with easy mode. In this game, you also lose on any difficulty if you continue before or during stage 6.

Anyway, TC, look at this thread:

http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?topic=357.0

Find Phar's post and follow the instructions given from then on. The input lag patch fixes the game to make your movements more precise. It's a godsend, as EoSD and PCB suffer a lot from delayed controls.

Oh yeah I forgot about that >.<

Well I didn't know that LLS lacked a stage 6 in easy =/. I haven't played it in a while, and I never played Easy mode on it.

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 12:51:08 AM »
haha just finished PCB on easy with that patch... it's like playing another game! and i thought the lag came from my xbox wireless controller..

anyway... can't anyone make a list of difficulty for normal and hard modes?
Watch me on Youtube

Gpop

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 12:55:09 AM »
Normal Modes? I can do that.

Btw this is my opinion on normal mode, so I can't really say anything if others argue about it =/

MoF
IN
PCB
EoSD
SA

I'm not counting the LLS games because I don't remember them too clearly. Also, I didn't include PoFV because it really depends on the character you use.

Drake

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 12:57:46 AM »
I went through Hard modes following game order, and I found that the games follow a linear difficulty on Hard. EoSD being the easiest, SA being the hardest. MoF and IN I'm not so sure though, I think MoF is only more difficult because of VoWG.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 01:00:23 AM »
Thanks a lot everyone :)
Watch me on Youtube

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 02:12:32 AM »
Not really on topic, just a small advice to help you in PCB.

Unless the screen is clear of bullets, or you want to capture spellcards, always break your borders. This clears the screen, and makes it safe for a good three seconds, while giving you some cherry points to get a border faster.

Or maybe you're like me and lose like 20 bombs in stock every run. When going for a clear, your bombs are additionnal lives, so if you die with 5 bombs in stock you lost 6 lives right there.

This won't really help with Yuyuko, but it should get you the necessary 1 or 2 lives in stock to clear her two last spells.
"My friends are coming for Poker tonight. We will require Koolaid."

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 02:21:47 AM »
yeah i just learned how to properly use bombs today and with the patch for PCB it became much easier... I got to Yuyuko with 4 lives and finished the game with 1 :)

thanks for the advice!
Watch me on Youtube

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 03:00:41 AM »
INPUT LAG PATCH IS CHEATING

I dunno, PCB was my first 1cc (on Normal), but IN was way easier.  I'd still put it significantly below SA.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 03:19:41 AM »

x2

Seriously, suck it up wussies.

nintendonut888

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 03:22:08 AM »
It's not cheating at all. Do you honestly believe ZUN intended for there to be input lag or designed the game to accomodate it? This patch simply allows us to play the game with better controls.

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 03:33:13 AM »

x2

Seriously, suck it up wussies.
k right. You keep telling yourself that, because apparently, the movement in the games past PCB is cheating, and ZUN designed EoSD and PCB with Input Lag, something that shouldn't even be there, on purpose. Yep.

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 03:34:24 AM »
well, sincerely, it made me feel like i was playing MoF, which was my first Touhou game.
it felt weird before.
Watch me on Youtube

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 03:36:45 AM »
Intended or not, it's a hack that makes the game easier to play.... Which is cheating. It's cool if you want to use it and find it more entertaining, but don't for a minute think it isn't cheating. If ZUN cared enough to fix the input lag he could've released a patch.

Just like he released a patch for Marisa B ffffff

EDIT: Ok well look at it this way, whenever I download a replay now I'll look at it and go "oh nice dodging, you're pretty awesome but lol I have no idea if you're actually playing it on an easier level than most people so fuck your shit".
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 03:40:00 AM by Naut »

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 03:38:22 AM »
Non-input lag is easier than input lag.  People played the game for years with said input lag.  It's part of the game, whether intentional or not.  Using the patch cheapens everything done in the last couple years, and people will have to note "patched" or "unpatched" for challenges to appreciate how hard it actually is.

I'd love to grab the patch and finally clear PCB Hard without all the BS, but...it wouldn't feel right.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 03:44:19 AM »
Intended or not, it's a hack that makes the game easier to play.... Which is cheating. It's cool if you want to use it and find it more entertaining, but don't for a minute think it isn't cheating. If ZUN cared enough to fix the input lag he could've released a patch.
1)ZUN never releases patches for older games, and he's starting not to release any patches at all.
2)CowCaster for IaMP falls under "Cheating", as it makes it easier to play, more entertaining, and is a hack.
3)Everything you can do with the Input Lag patch you can do without. It just requires more luck or the ability to LOOK HALF A SECOND INTO THE FUTURE!

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 03:46:53 AM »
I edited the first post to be a reference for other users.
Watch me on Youtube

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2009, 03:59:52 AM »
1)ZUN never releases patches for older games, and he's starting not to release any patches at all.

Sucks for you.

2)CowCaster for IaMP falls under "Cheating", as it makes it easier to play, more entertaining, and is a hack.

You catch on fast.

3)Everything you can do with the Input Lag patch you can do without. It just requires more luck or the ability to LOOK HALF A SECOND INTO THE FUTURE!

This is sounding like bitching more than it is evidence against my argument. Using third party programs to make a game easier is cheating, it's not really debatable.

"More luck"... Seriously.

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2009, 04:13:37 AM »

But you see, that argument doesn't really work simply because, no matter how you look at it, the lag is not meant to be part of the game.  Fixing it allows it to be played the way that ZUN meant for it to be played.  If it made it easier than it was meant to be, then it would be cheating, but it doesn't, so it isn't.  It just makes it easier than you're used to it being.  That might not go along with your personal idea of how it should be played, which is fine (far be it from me to tell you the 'right' way to play it), but in no way is it cheating.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 04:18:06 AM by Azinth »

nintendonut888

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2009, 06:14:25 AM »
But you see, that argument doesn't really work simply because, no matter how you look at it, the lag is not meant to be part of the game.  Fixing it allows it to be played the way that ZUN meant for it to be played.  If it made it easier than it was meant to be, then it would be cheating, but it doesn't, so it isn't.  It just makes it easier than you're used to it being.  That might not go along with your personal idea of how it should be played, which is fine (far be it from me to tell you the 'right' way to play it), but in no way is it cheating.

This, seriously.

Drake

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2009, 06:16:58 AM »
hitbox patch is cheating gaiz

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 09:47:28 AM »
It should be added that not ALL people have the input lag, even without the patch. I know for a fact that I don't have the lag on my old P3 850Mhz. I have no clue about the technical details, but it mostly seems to be modern hardware causing it. In any case, the lag is a bug that's not supposed to be there. Period.

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 09:57:13 AM »
It should be added that not ALL people have the input lag, even without the patch. I know for a fact that I don't have the lag on my old P3 850Mhz. I have no clue about the technical details, but it mostly seems to be modern hardware causing it. In any case, the lag is a bug that's not supposed to be there. Period.

I'm on a Dell Precision M6300, that has a 2.2GHz Core2 Duo and a Quadro. Never had any problems with that, as far as I know. The only BS I get on PCB is that Stage 4 seems to be bomb-protected or something at times, often to my demise
rofl bye

Herasy

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 12:17:11 PM »
The patch really hasn't made any much of a difference to me, I just suddenly seem to do better without anything feeling any different. (Although I have yet to try it with IN Normal...)