Author Topic: Awesome RPGs  (Read 40203 times)

FallenAngelV

Re: Awesome RPGs
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2009, 10:35:51 PM »
OH GOD YES SOMEONE ELSE KNOWS ABOUT THIS GAME.

Didn't think of mentioning it here since I wasn't sure how far it qualified as an RPG, but I ADORED THIS GAME TOO. I played it so damn much that the case snapped in half.

Too bad the GBA sequel was fucking horrible.

Oh hey, we meet again. Guardian Heroes was and still is the best 2D/2.5D beat-'em-up ever created. It was the 2nd game I bought for my Saturn along with Worms, and I still fire it up from time-to-time even now. The VS mode was awesome as well, even if the character balance was fairly lol. Never played the GBA 'sequel' thank God.

For the sake of staying vaguely on topic, Dragon Force and Mystaria (both Saturn SRPGs) rock.

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2009, 10:53:35 PM »
never seen a GBA sequel... I had no idea. also it had one of my favourites intro movies... it was awesome!
I always played the mage.. Saturn games are often forgotten :s

Oh i forgot Beyond the Beyond for the PSX.. that was an awesome RPG :D
Current Goal: PCB Lunatic 1cc
Watch me on Youtube

« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2009, 01:01:34 AM »
Geeze, I play a lot of RPGs but I mostly stick with popular titles and 'secially Square's. Even Super Mario RPG, as awesome as it was, is starting to become a sleeper hit so it's really hard to say. This thread does bring a few new things into my radar but not a whole ton to be honest.

Since we're not being purists about it though, I love the Escape Velocity series. Escape Velocity Nova is the only shareware game I've registered to date and is advertised to have RPG elements. I'll admit there are some like the shops but there really aren't too many conventional RPG mechanics and plays a bit more like a super advanced version of Asteroids, kinda. On the other hand, it captures the heart of what an RPG really should be; that is, allowing you to play virtually any role you like in its immersive sci-fi setting. You can choose to be a part of one of any of the six main storylines and twelve subplots, as well as having a plethora of side options available to you like space trading, piracy and courier service. Getting even further into the being anything you want to be aspect, the game has an expandability aspect, which allows for add on content like plug-ins and total conversions, if you find yourself bored with the regular game. I've spent many an hour, attempting total galactic conquest.

Moogy

• ※中の人は可愛い男の娘(嘘)
  • 覇道型流離人
    • tsukuru
« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2009, 01:56:34 AM »

Blackraptor

• Furniture
  • The guy with the thing over there at the place
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2009, 09:40:19 AM »
Disgaea.  That is all.

Also, Battle Moon Wars is pretty damn awesome.  It's the only game where you can have a psychotic maid dope up Fem!King Arthur before she obliterates Getter Robo with a giant sword laser (among other things), and that's got to count for something.

Of course, you'll only enjoy it half as much if you haven't read pretty much every Nasuverse canon work in existence, seen all the Kara no Kyoukai movies to date, and played Melty Blood.  Super Robot Wars experience not required, but it sure does help.

Saber Lily was great in the first 3 Acts of my 3rd playthrough...then Act 4 came along and she can't hit anything with Caliburn anymore ;_;. Magical Amber is awesome all-around though, she's the Basara Nekki of BMW!

I'm just sad that it's all over. No more Fate/Zero characters aside from Kritisugu and Irie. And Fake Assassin...poor Fake Assassin ;_;

« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2009, 01:42:26 PM »
I didn't see the Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3 and Secret of Evermore... I think they were the first wave of action RPG's. Then again, I could always be wrong. Still, I enjoy them and I still think every gamer that likes action RPG's should play them.

Seiken Densetsu 3 is probably my most played RPG of all time. I once played two games of it. One with Duran, Kevin and Hawk and the other with Lise, Angela and Charlie.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2009, 02:36:41 PM »

::)

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2009, 02:52:17 PM »
er... what o.o
Current Goal: PCB Lunatic 1cc
Watch me on Youtube

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2009, 12:11:16 AM »
I didn't see the Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3 and Secret of Evermore... I think they were the first wave of action RPG's. Then again, I could always be wrong. Still, I enjoy them and I still think every gamer that likes action RPG's should play them.

Seiken Densetsu 3 is probably my most played RPG of all time. I once played two games of it. One with Duran, Kevin and Hawk and the other with Lise, Angela and Charlie.

I have a legit copy of sd3 with a real super famicom to play it with >=)

Obviously I enjoy the game alot, but from an unbiased perspective, I can't help but notice that the boss battles are kinda not really action rpg.. I mean almost all boss attacks have no element of dodging to them, they just home in on you and attack, or cast spells which you cannot avoid. So you're still basically fighting an ordinary rpg, only diff is the movement in and out of combat do not have different screens.

I'd love it if that game had bosses that were potentially much more powerful, that could only be beaten if you had some fancy footwork dodging their attacks or whatever.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 12:20:16 AM by Ghaleon »

« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2009, 12:49:52 AM »

I have a legit copy of sd3 with a real super famicom to play it with >=)

Obviously I enjoy the game alot, but from an unbiased perspective, I can't help but notice that the boss battles are kinda not really action rpg.. I mean almost all boss attacks have no element of dodging to them, they just home in on you and attack, or cast spells which you cannot avoid. So you're still basically fighting an ordinary rpg, only diff is the movement in and out of combat do not have different screens.

I'd love it if that game had bosses that were potentially much more powerful, that could only be beaten if you had some fancy footwork dodging their attacks or whatever.
True. Most of the game isn't really about movement(well, save Secret of Evermore)... the movement is pretty sluggish there and the enemies will most likely hit you anyway so I don't bother... usually. Still, I'd still play it as a ordinary RPG.

But yeah I agree with you that it could have been better with more emphasis on movement.