Author Topic: Tales of Phantasmal Land Redux (NOW RECRUITING PLAYERS FOR INCIDENT!)  (Read 212085 times)

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
Re: Tales of Phantasmal Land Redux (WIP D&D-style RPG)
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2012, 11:26:28 PM »
u gaiz suk becuz ur caracters is not as good as mine

my character is Stephenia GoldenHeart Lavender-Rose, and shes a princcess who is byooteefull n can beet every1, lik even yuka, but dosent becuz shes so nice n reimu luv her.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2012, 11:31:40 PM »
u gaiz suk becuz ur caracters is not as good as mine

my character is Stephenia GoldenHeart Lavender-Rose, and shes a princcess who is byooteefull n can beet every1, lik even yuka, but dosent becuz shes so nice n reimu luv her.

STFU

MANPUNCH MCKILLFIST IS BEST CHARKTER

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2012, 11:31:51 PM »
Pffff...The quintessential Mary-Sue.

...Ironically, one event that took place with the original Suzu(The aforementioned Magician Girl), was a spark-off with Marisa. Using the party's tank as the test dummy. (He's the chew toy, and the butt of every joke. It helps that he's insanely durable. And emphasis on 'dummy'.)
Needless to say, Marisa won that one at the time. There'll be a rematch once things actually get started back up again. (Read: When things get properly scheduled)
Needless to say, she also falls strongly into the Heroic Sociopath category, much like Richard from LFG, or Belkar from OoTS. But with an added helping of Vaarsuvius(OoTS).
Though there's more, but that's just a general overview of her personality. (She's also the second strongest 'Fragment' that resides in my mindscape.)
(She also has a strong dislike of most Crow Tengu, given their typically arrogant and cocky nature.)
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2012, 11:33:42 PM »
MANPUNCH MCKILLFIST IS BEST CHARKTER

I appear to have misplaced my excrements.

Anyway, if anyone on this thread fills out the aforementioned character sheet, I'd like to receive it so I can compile them and stuff.

Plus I love reading about new characters...

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2012, 11:36:41 PM »
I'll see what I can do over the night. Shouldn't take too much finagling to make sense of things with the help of the basic guide yeah?
I just need to find out how many stat points a specific class starts with to customize and such, and go from there.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2012, 11:39:08 PM »
I'll see what I can do over the night. Shouldn't take too much finagling to make sense of things with the help of the basic guide yeah?
I just need to find out how many stat points a specific class starts with to customize and such, and go from there.

I've already set all stats to 2, and you have 12 points to spend wherever you want.

The rest is pretty much all about characterization, so understanding the (weird) rules of the game isn't necessary anyway.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2012, 11:45:51 PM »
Yeah, I just like making the stats fit the characterization too. You wouldn't see a Fairy known to be a Leeroy Jenkins with maxed-out cunning after all.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2012, 11:51:33 PM »
Yeah, I just like making the stats fit the characterization too. You wouldn't see a Fairy known to be a Leeroy Jenkins with maxed-out cunning after all.

Yeah, though exceptions can be made, nobody expects the Spanish inquisition magicians to have a high Might stat. A Byakuren-like-buffing-magician could work, but not a randomly bodybuilder-like magician.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2012, 12:08:31 AM »
Byakuren's the notable exception, given her heritage as a Monk. Which naturally means she's just as capable of busting heads as your average musclebound bloke.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2012, 12:10:13 AM »
Byakuren's the notable exception, given her heritage as a Monk. Which naturally means she's just as capable of busting heads as your average musclebound bloke.

Yeah, but normal humans wouldn't be able to crack oni skulls like she can. :V

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2012, 12:11:53 AM »
Oni fall under that category of 'average musclebound bloke', given how most male Oni are regarded as total bricks.
(As compared to the female Oni, who are generally more Amazonian in nature. If Yuugi's anything to go by.)
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2012, 12:16:44 AM »
Okay then, how about a CELESTIAL skull for reference? :getdown: I always figured oni were at minimum as tough/strong as a well-built human.

EDIT: Also Suika is a loli-midget but apparently hits harder with her fists than Yuugi so let's just go with "Byakuren hits really hard" because common sense will only avail us so far in Gensokyo. :getdown:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 12:24:50 AM by Purple-haired Pacifistic Pasuhead »

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2012, 12:25:43 AM »
Well, it's also been shown that as of right now(until others are revealed), Suika was pretty much the de-facto leader of The Four Mountain Deva. So her ass-kickingness comes par for the course. Plus, Two-horned Oni. Rare as fuck, even among the already rare Oni.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2012, 12:26:27 AM »
I think your thinking of Shaolin monks, Byakuren's a BUDDHIST Monk, and as far as I'm aware, Buddhism doesn't teach any kind of martial arts :P

Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2012, 12:28:45 AM »
Actually, Monks in general know at least a little. They did get accosted by less-scrupulous bandits on their travels after all. So it's a common thing for them to know at least a little.
That, and the primary religion for Shaolin varied between Taoism and Buddhism. So it's not too much of a stretch to figure she picked up at least a little along the way. Monks in general were all about being both physically, spiritually, and mentally fit. "The Body is a Temple", as some say.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2012, 12:29:53 AM »
I think we're derailing quite a bit here :P

Let's agree on the fact Yuuka is da bess.

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2012, 12:31:33 AM »
Actually, Monks in general know at least a little. They did get accosted by less-scrupulous bandits on their travels after all. So it's a common thing for them to know at least a little.
That, and the primary religion for Shaolin varied between Taoism and Buddhism. So it's not too much of a stretch to figure she picked up at least a little along the way. Monks in general were all about being both physically, spiritually, and mentally fit. "The Body is a Temple", as some say.
Oh yeah, dunnow how I forgot about that :V

Also, what should I open this character sheet in seeing as I don't have Office installed?
Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2012, 12:33:35 AM »
Oh yeah, dunnow how I forgot about that :V

Also, what should I open this character sheet in seeing as I don't have Office installed?

Allow me to make a notepad version. It'll be attached to this post in a minute or two.

Edit: Done. Notepad file, attached!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 12:36:14 AM by Ikari »

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2012, 12:35:00 AM »
Ah, that'll make it much easier on me as well. I already had a similar idea, but it didn't get much further than showing the stats, and how much of each point that's pertinent at creation is left to work with. (CP excluded, because I don't think we've gotten the ruling on that, or if it even IS different from the guidebook.)
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2012, 12:37:20 AM »
Oh yeah, CP is still a very undetermined area. I'll have to tweak a few things about it.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2012, 12:38:27 AM »
THE YUUKA TRAIN HAS NO BRAKES.

Also, that is why you don't use fire magic in the vicinity of the Garden of the Sun.

And yeah, monks often picked up at least some judo basics for self-defense.

As for the game...Hey, Ikari, you think you can post the charsheet materials here as an attachment for me to work with?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 12:40:39 AM by Purple-haired Pacifistic Pasuhead »

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2012, 12:40:41 AM »
THE YUUKA TRAIN HAS NO BRAKES.

That is why you don't use fire magic in the vicinity of the Garden of the Sun.

And yeah, monks often picked up at least some judo basics for self-defense.

As for the game...Hey, Ikari, you think you can post the charsheet materials here as an attachment for me to work with?

That picture will give me nightmares forever. WHY WOULD YOU POST THAT.

Also by charsheet material, you mean?

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2012, 12:43:13 AM »
That picture will give me nightmares forever. WHY WOULD YOU POST THAT.

Also by charsheet material, you mean?

Because it's metal as Hell. :dragonforce:

And I meant the notepad document that I just now noticed you already posted so NEVERMIND. :getdown:

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2012, 12:49:13 AM »
That's alliterator for you. He's an oddball like that. I remember when I first saw that while browsin' danbo for Yuuka images for a little project I finished a while back.
My reaction? "Shit. Somebody dun goofed. I'm outta here!"

Either way, that text file's a major help. Maybe you could rework CP by improving the gains from using an FP. Because the guide says it's 2 CP for every 1 FP.
I don't know about you, but some folks like to start off with a relatively reliable spellcard. Marisa in particular comes to mind.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2012, 12:55:52 AM »
That's thing; So many possibilities;

- Keep it as it is right now with some minor tweaks

- Remove CP completely and substitute it for FP

- Gain CP through other ways

- Increase CP gains

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2012, 01:00:14 AM »
I think a combination of the last two would work quite well. Increase CP gains by trading in FP, and make it so that you can also get CP for similar reasons as FP. For example, a low level quest might reward some FP, and maybe the same amount in CP. or a little less.

Removing CP altogether would just make FP even more of a valuable commodity.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2012, 01:02:15 AM »
Hmm...

I have an idea, tell me what you think.

Cp would still exist, and would be traded as 2 cp for 1 fp.

PLUS! The player would get 5 CP at each level up, making his spellcards grow stronger even if he doesn't spend his FP on them.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2012, 01:10:02 AM »
That could work! But I think that to allow for stuff on par with what some of the stronger ones can do(since I know some of us will want to pit our strength against the shining example of their chosen race for the hell of it(because you don't need common sense in gensokyo!), and not have them have to hold anything back), it miiight also make sense to have CP as an occasional quest reward too. Or as brownie points of a sort for pulling something off with aplomb. Like say, managing to outfox Ran, or out-charisma Remilia...Eh, or out-crazy Flan.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2012, 01:12:16 AM »
Yeaaaah, like one can be normal EXP just for getting something done, the other is like style points. Or something.

Or maybe fandom points can be spent on external things and function as fate/karma/whatever dice, though I think we already have enough luck-fudgey mechanical things.

I'm rambling.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2012, 01:12:39 AM »
That could work! But I think that to allow for stuff on par with what some of the stronger ones can do(since I know some of us will want to pit our strength against the shining example of their chosen race for the hell of it(because you don't need common sense in gensokyo!), and not have them have to hold anything back), it miiight also make sense to have CP as an occasional quest reward too. Or as brownie points of a sort for pulling something off with aplomb. Like say, managing to outfox Ran, or out-charisma Remilia...Eh, or out-crazy Flan.

True, that's indeed a very good idea.

*snaps his fingers*

How about awarding CP by accomplishing bonus goals set by the GM when doing a certain mission for someone or something?