Author Topic: RaNGE 15 Contest - Trick or Shoot!  (Read 40343 times)

Re: RaNGE 15 Contest - Trick or Shoot!
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2015, 01:16:16 PM »
Very good point Vigor! In the past we encouraged scripters to release more than one difficulty mode for the exact same reasons you're pointing.

I removed difficulty options initially thinking I'll tune it to what I find fun but I'm adding it back and re-tuning since it's so little work.
It's only an extra 5% or so work to make 4 difficulties I find, at least in my setup.

It's hard to come up with spooky themed spells but I have some candy danmaku. http://i.imgur.com/M62bRy7.png  :V NOM... I need a creativity burst.

How is everyone else going?  :ohdear:

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2015, 07:38:57 PM »
For some reason my pause menu just crashes now...
But otherwise it's coming along great. http://puu.sh/kRo4q/8d7e9b2585.png

I'll be replacing a lot of those numbers and stuff with my own fonts later.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 07:45:37 PM by Dark Kitsune »

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2015, 02:13:35 AM »
I had considered difficulty even when making my first two attacks, especially because my engine is different from Danmakufu (and unfortunately not completely fine tuned yet).  I don't want to make it too hard, because I don't want my lesser engine to completely undermine people's enjoyment of my entry.

(Note my engine is based around GameMaker but I have my own unique way of making bullet patterns and doing movement, focus mode for example is slightly different)

In any case, school projects have recently been limiting my time lately.  I hope to meet the deadline, but it may be difficult for me.  If I don't make it this time, that is why.

Tl;dr My engine is inferior, and I spend a lot of time working on difficulty so my engine doesn't ruin the player's enjoyment of the game.  I also have very little time due to school and I may not finish as a result.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 02:16:04 AM by WishMakers »
Return of Eastern Wonderland! Made by a PC-98 fan FOR fans!
1ccs: SoEW (N), LLS (N), MS (N), EoSD (N, H), PCB (N), IN (N, H), PoFV (N, 5 char), MoF (N), SA (N), UFO (N), TD (N), DDC (N), LoLK (N), HSiFS (E, N, L), WBaWC (N)
Extra: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, HSiFS, WBaWC
Scoring: HSiFS Easy (PB: 1.1b), Barrage Musical Hard (PB: 28.?b)

Lunarethic

• Local Trashy Edgelord
  • I can cut people with all this edge
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2015, 06:17:05 AM »
いつもニコニコあなたの隣に這いよる!生放送!は好き。月です~す。略してニコニャル
Learned how to use a custom shotsheet : 12/28/13 *clapclapclap*
東方謎佚光 ~ Dimensional Light Abscence Work In Progress Touhou Fangame

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2015, 09:53:33 PM »

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2015, 10:20:53 PM »
As of now, the Opening Post has been cleaned up significantly and the rules, judgement criteria, and some of the guidelines should be much cleaner and less vague. More may be added, but we will not change the rules significantly as people have already begun submitting entries.

« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2015, 02:09:52 PM »
I'm kinda late to say this, but oh well...
If you want feedback for your entry, ask someone else via messages or something else
Don't ask / give feedback here
It might affect the judging process for later on...
Also, no need afraid to ask for feedback as long you're ready to accept the feedback...
Well, I'm certainly open for feedback asking if you ask
Not to mention, my entry has been submitted long ago...

TTBD

• The Terrible Bullet Dodger
  • ^ This is a meme. Praise it. ^
    • I have a Youtube account!
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2015, 04:19:44 PM »
Note that although making a Halloween themed script is highly preferred, it is not required.
Welp, I didn't know about this! I'm entering back in with Yukari Yakumo instead.  :3

Also I should note that i'm not trying to get a high score this time. I'm just entering the contest for fun, not to win~
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 06:08:41 PM by auto2112 »
Looks like I don't need a signature either...

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2015, 11:44:24 PM »
To the judges (specifically, Sparen)...

Do I need to export to Mac to be able for you to judge it?
GameMaker:Studio is extremely dumb in the way it exports to Mac, so I need to know if this will be necessary come exporting time. :V
Thanks!
1ccs: SoEW (N), LLS (N), MS (N), EoSD (N, H), PCB (N), IN (N, H), PoFV (N, 5 char), MoF (N), SA (N), UFO (N), TD (N), DDC (N), LoLK (N), HSiFS (E, N, L), WBaWC (N)

« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2015, 01:16:24 AM »

GameMaker:Studio is extremely dumb in the way it exports to Mac, so I need to know if this will be necessary come exporting time. :V
Thanks!

I believe as long as you put a check to see if shaders compiled right and disable all shaders if they don't, then games can be played played under wine (albeit without shaders).
Danmakufu has to be run under wine I think.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2015, 02:10:11 AM »

Thanks!

It should not be too much of a problem. I've been able to play Game Maker games in the past (although I need to change my input settings from Japanese to English). If you're worried, send me a sample game using a similar system in Windows and I'll see what I can do.

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2015, 03:54:49 PM »
I believe as long as you put a check to see if shaders compiled right and disable all shaders if they don't, then games can be played played under wine (albeit without shaders).
Danmakufu has to be run under wine I think.

Tyrz, I think you know a bit more about GM:Studio than I do, so I trust your word :V
I can get Wine going on a school laptop, so I'll try that Monday and see what happens.

It should not be too much of a problem. I've been able to play Game Maker games in the past (although I need to change my input settings from Japanese to English). If you're worried, send me a sample game using a similar system in Windows and I'll see what I can do.

Okay, I just needed to make sure that you could play GM games.  If you've played them before, you should be fine.  I currently haven't used shaders, so maybe it won't be a problem.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2015, 11:31:13 PM »
A reminder that there is less than one week remaining until the submission deadline!

TTBD

« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2015, 10:45:34 PM »
http://www.bulletforge.org/u/auto2112/p/range-15-border-of-phantasm

Happy early Halloween! I'm pretty tired, so i'll upload a video tomorrow.

Also reminder that I only made this for fun, so i'm not expecting to get high points. (And I should note that the "lastspell" one that says it's optional ISN'T. If you play the Plural, it will be there, and IT'S MEANT TO BE JUDGED. I was tired so I forgot to edit that part out, sorry.)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 09:48:04 AM by auto2112 »

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2015, 09:22:42 AM »
I don't know how "fun" the actual game play will be as it's the 2nd fight I've done and I haven't got anything fancy happening.
I'm hoping people can tell me how I can improve! I'm not that good at Touhou yet but I did my best to make a do-able(??) Lunatic, just note I can't test it properly.

I've tested in Wine on Linux Mint 17.2 and removed some shader crashes, presumably it should work in OSX although I can't confirm.

My RaNGE 15 Download Link

http://i.imgur.com/SAzdue0.png
http://i.imgur.com/hRGxWrY.png
http://i.imgur.com/Ed3Cvbc.png

I post known bugs in the engine on my site. This is in version 0.92.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2015, 03:56:35 PM »
http://www.bulletforge.org/u/auto2112/p/range-15-border-of-phantasm

Happy early Halloween! I'm pretty tired, so i'll upload a video tomorrow.

Also reminder that I only made this for fun, so i'm not expecting to get high points. (And I should note that the "lastspell" one that says it's optional ISN'T. If you play the Plural, it will be there, and IT'S MEANT TO BE JUDGED. I was tired so I forgot to edit that part out, sorry.)

Remember that you still have time to update if you want to.

TTBD

« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2015, 04:45:18 PM »
Remember that you still have time to update if you want to.

My internet goes slow most of the time, so I doubt i'll be able to do so.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2015, 07:33:11 PM »
My internet goes slow most of the time, so I doubt i'll be able to do so.

After actually taking a good look at the Bulletforge page, 250+ MB for a single script is not acceptable. Entire 7 stage games can fit into 100 MB. Given this fact, you have no right to complain about your internet speed.

Now, I *highly suggest* (i.e. I'm not the only judge that has complaints) that the following be implemented before the contest deadline:
-I don't know what you're doing with a 140 MB audio thing, but if you have any form of unused audio or super-extended versions of tracks, you should definitely address those issues. You can use Audacity to find loop points and export as .ogg. PlayBGM(music,0,907); is not acceptable.
-Please merge your two sound effect libraries. Unorganized redundancy results in code pointing everywhere and duplicate sound effects
-Whatever is in thimg.dat should actually be *used* in the actual script. Otherwise, please remove any textures you do not use and do not plan to use. If you are using Dairi's raw cut ins, scale them down before adding them into your script.
-Additionally, please (for the sake of whoever plays your game) move your plural someplace where it can be found easily. As of right now, you have to go into the scripts directory to find the executable. It is also recommended that you comment out the #TouhouDanmakufu on your dialogue scripts. They all crash with something along the lines of
Code: [Select]
Next(Text):すでに終端です -> Junko[
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 08:51:58 PM by Sparen »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2015, 08:14:24 PM »
@Sparen, perhaps a more friendly approach to the situation would be in place, now don't you agree. There is no need for the current kind of approach.

Though a good question raised: Auto2112, how did you manage to get the filesize that large? Plain wav files? Overusage of mp3?

Edit:
Checking the file out of curiosity. Why are there 2 dat files in the package? One is 99mb and other is 140mb. That doesn't look right :V :V :V
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 08:16:23 PM by Helepolis »

TTBD

« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2015, 08:46:02 PM »
The PlayBGM(music,0,907); part was actually just something I left there for some reason, the music file is only about 2 minutes long~

Also I actually have no idea why it's so big. I don't have that many unused files (there's a couple, but I can't actually remember what ones are unused and what are =3=) but i'll try to find them and delete them ASAP.

EDIT: Alright, I've done what Sparen said, and all my future scripts will have lower file sizes (I probably won't have enough time to edit the Yukari script, but if I get the time I will edit it, and upload a new version (new version uploaded now, 29.3 MB is good now, right?)).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 09:07:53 PM by auto2112 »

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2015, 08:54:58 PM »
The PlayBGM(music,0,907); part was actually just something I left there for some reason, the music file is only about 2 minutes long~

Also I actually have no idea why it's so big. I don't have that many unused files (there's a couple, but I can't actually remember what ones are unused and what are =3=) but i'll try to find them and delete them ASAP.

Just a note about archiving: Although it compresses its contents, its main purpose is to protect assets. Danmakufu's archiver does not do a significant amount of compression on certain file types.

In other words, if you have nothing to protect, it may be better to leave the music assets (at the very least) available in their normal form. I.E. it's not possible for me to run your script at all without going to a computer lab or dual booting Windows because I can't export assets I cannot access.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2015, 09:06:53 PM »
Also I actually have no idea why it's so big.
Why are there 2 dat files in the package? One is 99mb and other is 140mb. That doesn't look right :V :V :V

I guess a personal choice and people's own decision but I always found the DAT archiving a bit awkward thing. 95% (or maybe more) of the world who does Danmakufu doesn't bother with protection of file contents. Usually because generally plagiarism in Japanese Doujin activities is considered bad manners by default so people don't bother. Why the remaining 5% or less really intends to do that is a mystery for me.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2015, 09:35:30 PM »
@auto2112: Thank you for decreasing the size of your script by 220 MB. :)

Just out of curiosity, what was in that 100 MB worth of images?

TTBD

« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2015, 09:54:52 PM »
@auto2112: Thank you for decreasing the size of your script by 220 MB. :)

Just out of curiosity, what was in that 100 MB worth of images?

Actually (you're not going to believe this), it was an image extraction from Phantasmagoria of Imagine Breaker. I once planned to use some of the images from it, but never got to it. It's the exact same with the bgm file. I've deleted them now though, so no need to worry.

« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2015, 07:42:37 PM »
Actually, I can't do anything enough good and Halloween fiting with Touhou characters for the contest. So, I do something with fandom characters.
For sure, I can't participate to the contest and the final results. But can I still submit it for judging/feedback and eventually live and video (but like a out entry that don't count for the final results)?

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2015, 09:00:47 PM »
Actually, I can't do anything enough good and Halloween fiting with Touhou characters for the contest. So, I do something with fandom characters.
For sure, I can't participate to the contest and the final results. But can I still submit it for judging/feedback and eventually live and video (but like a out entry that don't count for the final results)?

You can release it and post it here, but it will not be counted as a submission if you used fanon characters. If you would still like feedback, just remind us.

« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2015, 01:37:27 PM »
Sorry for the inconvenience for deleting the link for previous version
So, here's the updated version
https://www.mediafire.com/?r01dvvuc0hecti1
What's the change you say?
- I add Ultimata's DDC Reimu as default player (to keep everything in sync)
- Make all the "unfair" attacks becomes more "fair" enough
- Some of the pattern was resist to spell, to make the pattern still visible
- No spellcard bonus (There are some troubles with this one so I skipped it away)
- You can play each part separately if you want, Midboss part, Boss part, and Last Spell part
*PS : You can quick-finish the last spell if you know the "what-to-do"
Spoiler:
Just stand near the place the ball was summoned, the rest, well... no need to explain...
I was planning to make more "Undertale"-ish at the end, but the deadline won't wait that long... *sigh*

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2015, 02:40:34 AM »
The hope that I may one day finish this contest entry...
...it fills me with DETERMINATION.

I'm gonna be honest guys, this project has taken a bit of a toll on me.
I've been working all week to get it right, with parental restrictions and all as well.
And, I think I have it in the best shape possible at the moment.

So, yes!  I am finished!
Here is the Dropbox link (v.1.1.3)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uumicf4hjjmed4r/RaNGE15%20-%20Kogasa-Default-1.1.0.3.zip?dl=0

HOORAY!  FINALLY DONE! :V

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2015, 05:09:34 AM »
Wishmakers, I'm not entirely sure why, but your game runs at an incredibly slow speed for me.  I haven't heard other people have this same complaint yet, but I highly doubt it was that way for me due to system limitations.  For the record, I have Windows 7, if that helps.  If you have any inkling on what the problem might be, I'd appreciate it if you could look into it.

EDIT: I figured out the problem.  It seems playing as Needle-type Reimu causes slowdown that intensifies throughout the script until the game's practically running at a snail's pace during the final spell...  at least for me.  With Homing-type, I experienced no issues whatsoever.  I dunno if anyone else is having this problem, but perhaps it's something worth looking into?  In the meantime, if this is your final draft, I'll just judge based on my Homing-type playthrough.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 05:21:43 AM by AJS »

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2015, 05:24:04 AM »
Wishmakers, I'm not entirely sure why, but your game runs at an incredibly slow speed for me.  I haven't heard other people have this same complaint yet, but I highly doubt it was that way for me due to system limitations.  For the record, I have Windows 7, if that helps.  If you have any inkling on what the problem might be, I'd appreciate it if you could look into it.

EDIT: I figured out the problem.  It seems playing as Needle-type Reimu causes slowdown that intensifies throughout the script until the game's practically running at a snail's pace during the final spell...  at least for me.  With Homing-type, I experienced no issues whatsoever.  I dunno if anyone else is having this problem, but perhaps it's something worth looking into?  In the meantime, if this is your final draft, I'll just judge based on my Homing-type playthrough.

This is what I got during the cutscene (which, by the way, you should provide instructions for. Do you press a button to move forwards? Does it move forwards on its own? I was confused. It's not in the README):

minFPS, maxFPS, avgFPS
-72, 3816, 386

Don't know if it helps.