Author Topic: How to upload Touhou videos in HD quality Tutorial  (Read 307424 times)

Re: How to upload Touhou videos in HD quality Tutorial
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2009, 10:05:09 AM »
Can anyone tell me how to dub your own music onto your videos? I have tried taking the muxed file into Windows Movie Maker and adding the music to it there but it didn't really seem to work.

I'd be thankful for any information.

Drake

« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2009, 07:04:12 PM »
Do it in megui.

Take all your audio and audacity it into one clip. Timing music and whatever should be pretty easy if you just open your video clip in VirtualDub; you can see what happens at exactly what time. If you're only using one music clip, then obviously don't bother with that. When you go do this
For the Audio Input option, once again choose your full video file.
Don't choose your video file, but instead use the clip. That's all.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Drake

« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2009, 03:59:55 AM »
Update: Youtube has been denying a bunch of videos made using this tutorial recently. For some reason they no longer like FAAC audio, so it was erroring. I'm sorry if nobody was able to upload any videos for a while, lol.

Bananamatic

« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2009, 08:18:18 PM »
Update: Youtube has been denying a bunch of videos made using this tutorial recently. For some reason they no longer like FAAC audio, so it was erroring. I'm sorry if nobody was able to upload any videos for a while, lol.
Had no problems with the VirtualDub method :V
Had a few vids also denied when I've encoded them with megui, and not only touhou so 60fps is probably irrelevant.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2010, 11:30:37 AM »
My latest tutorial video dates from 24 December. And had no issues because I have been using the same settings in megui as shown in this thread.

But my encoding method is retarted and I don't know why I do this:

Sony vegas -> RAW output ( uncompressed, audio pcm uncompressed )
Virtual dub -> RAW resave because Windows keeps giving error when viewing it in explorer and also Megui whines about "not talking to me".
Megui -> RAWvirtualdub into Muxed mp4.

( if you want, I can post screenshots of the error messages and such. Because this type of conversion takes hours and pisses me off )

ebarrett

« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2010, 06:52:52 AM »
For PC-98:

crop( 0, 40, 0, -40)
BicubicResize(1152, 720, 0, 0.5) # Bicubic (Neutral)
AddBorders(64, 0, 64, 0, 0)
ConvertToYV12()

That's if you're recording at 640x480, which is often the case when recording fullscreen; if recording windowed at 640x400, ignore the first line, of course.

Mitsuhana

« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2010, 11:23:58 PM »
Thanks to this guide I've been able to record and upload my 1st video. Or rather videos  >:( For me the quality of the video goes bad after running them through VirtualDub. I get a huge sound lag and choppy videos as the final product. If I go straight to MeGUI from Fraps I can have clean videos with beautiful quality, but it would be nice to have to upload one video instead of two, plus I have to selectively record segments in Fraps.

So why is VirtualDub being mean?

Well these are the finished products (sans VirtualDub):
1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_l_IE-REic
2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wrSmr5sbsE

Drake

« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2010, 02:03:18 AM »
Beautiful.

Well, considering VDub really only does what you tell it to, you might have an off setting. Although... I'm not quite sure what's wrong with just those details. You can either look around to see what might be wrong, or you can try to use a different program to join the files.

Mitsuhana

« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2010, 02:16:48 AM »
Well, considering VDub really only does what you tell it to, you might have an off setting. Although... I'm not quite sure what's wrong with just those details. You can either look around to see what might be wrong, or you can try to use a different program to join the files.

Well I just did what the guide said, nothing more. So nothing about is changed from default figures & settings as installed. I don't know why VDub gives me bad results. Maybe it's racist, or sexist, or both  :-X I've tried Windows Movie Maker but it just sits there and does nothing when I import a file.

Now I've developed another problem: reading threads in this message board is making me want to play more Touhou at absurd difficulties D: I'm not that good!

LiteYear

• Touhou Fangame Enthusiast
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2010, 01:24:05 AM »
You can use VDub for some basic video editing (like combining files) without it compressing those files.  Under the Video menu, change the setting from "Full Processing Mode" to "Direct Stream Copy".

Bananamatic

« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2010, 01:28:21 AM »
I stopped using MeGUI altogether after finding out how to get HD in VDub. It's much faster :V

« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2010, 09:21:51 PM »
So, I tried this again, after the last time failed, and it sorta worked! Is it supposed to produce 720p or 1080p, though? I keep getting 720p, which is fine, but I'm wondering if I did something wrong...D:

Also, apparently x264 has a Touhou setting. Do you know anything about that, or how effective it is?

Bananamatic

« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2010, 09:23:29 PM »
Also, apparently x264 has a Touhou setting. Do you know anything about that, or how effective it is?
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

ebarrett

« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2010, 09:30:31 PM »

Doesn't seem to make a dramatic difference, certainly doesn't make a difference that Youtube won't butcher anyway.

Drake

« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2010, 09:37:43 PM »
This produces 720p, as the height reaches 720 pixels. Borders are added to the 960 width to make it 1280 pixels. However, stretching a 640x480 video to 1080p nearly triples it's size and will likely skew details, which I wouldn't really recommend. I haven't tried it though, so my word isn't much.

My most recent video used the tune touhou option for x264. I thought it wasn't that great as I didn't notice any significant changes, but again I haven't compared it to a duplicate without the tuning, so I can't say much about that.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2010, 10:19:45 PM »
My most recent video used the tune touhou option for x264. I thought it wasn't that great as I didn't notice any significant changes, but again I haven't compared it to a duplicate without the tuning, so I can't say much about that.
It's somewhat dependent on other x264 settings and it's just there to tune some options:

• --aq-strength 1.3
  • --deblock -1:-1
  • --partitions (p4x4 if p8x8 set)
  • --psy-rd <unset>:0.2
  • --ref (Double if >1 else 1)
The more interesting thing was introduced late last year and should be enabled by default in new builds is macroblock tree ratecontrol.  In simpler terms (as posted by one of the developers):

It tracks the propagation of information from future blocks to past blocks across motion vectors. It could be described as localizing qcomp to act on individual blocks instead of whole scenes. Thus instead of lowering quality in high-complexity scenes (like x264 currently does), it'll only lower quality on the complex part of the scene, while for example a static background will remain high-quality. It also has many other more subtle effects, some potentially negative, most probably not.

Since there's a ton of moving objects on the screen we may not be able to really see a major difference in the videos you upload (and Youtube can always butcher them further), but it at least improves quality enough that the SSIM measurement you can have x264 print shows a noticeable increase (probably from the background).  It'll probably be more noticeable if you lowered the bitrate or raised the qp/crf values.

Here's the test clip they used, though with all the items that drop in UFO it may be a better choice for a new torture test.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
The --touhou settings (changed again) is due to Dark Shikari. <3 Dark Shikari. it helps with some block, getting a bit more qual with little bit less size.
For local stockage, --placebo works well (old insane afaik).

On an interesting note, I'm upload to youtube some of my vid (I'm not a good tōhō player myself, nothing to brag about :().
I did some quality test.

Youtube massacre the quality of 480p game (640x480 for tōhō, for example), to keep a nice quality you have to upscale into 720p.
it's pretty easy, use a spline64 resize, and edit manually the .avs spline64(640;480) into spline64(960;720). Not sure of the exact syntax, I'm not at home right now. :P
That way, the replay are quite watchable in 480p, and even better in 720p.
I could link my channel for you to observe that, but I'm not a youtubewhore (so I will not if not requested).

Another interesting thing with youtube is that they reprocess the vid into A 30fps one. To lighter the upload, there is noneed to encode into 60fps.
I use basic framedrop, with virtualdub, before the x264 encoding (video > frame rate > source @60fps; output at 30 ;; again I'm not sure of the exact syntax but it's close to that).

Is someone know how to resample the video with motion blur (better then framedroping for quality) with uncompressed / x264 project, I'm interested. :)

Barrakketh

« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2010, 11:02:10 PM »
Is someone know how to resample the video with motion blur (better then framedroping for quality) with uncompressed / x264 project, I'm interested. :)
You may be interested in this since it sounds like you're using AVISynth.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2010, 02:54:31 PM »
Megui and Windows 7 makes me cry. Everytime I add the video to the avisynth script it crashes and and closes down. I checked several sources on google but none of them give a solid answer. ( Internet fails )

Barrakketh

« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
Well Baity, It took a bit longer than I expected and I decided to uninstall TF2 so I could record a video, but it's finally done.

Here's two short clips from the beginning of SA's Extra.  This one was made by dropping every other frame so I could get it to 30FPS before handing it off to Youtube.  You can tell it already has some jerky bits, and if you pay attention to the FPS you can see that the person was having more frame rate troubles than you were.

Here's the same clip, encoded the same except without dropping every other frame.

And finally, here is part of one of your UFO Lunatic replays using the V-Sync patch.  It looks fine to me.

I downloaded the videos after Youtube processed them and think that maybe one of the reasons you might be seeing some jerking is that Youtube seems to be changing them to 29.97 FPS as opposed to an even 30 (a strange number since for film at that rate it's supposed to be 30000/1001, and the original for progressive content would be 60000/1001).  If you look at one of the first two clips and pay attention to where those rings of bullets are expanded near the bottom 1/3 or so of the screen the movement isn't as fluid (slightly choppy) as they are at a full 60FPS.  When the bullets are still dense the movement appears to be smoother, so that's either a trick of the eye or some other side effect on their end.

The frame-stepped video looked smoother (though jerkier than the other clip) on my end before uploading it to Youtube, so it could be the case that them dropping frames (which is probably how they're altering the frame rate) coupled with the fact that the video is playing back a bit slower than it should (though I'd like a full 60FPS ;)) is making any jerking movement more obvious.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2010, 08:46:01 PM »
The frame-stepped video looked smoother (though jerkier than the other clip) on my end before uploading it to Youtube, so it could be the case that them dropping frames (which is probably how they're altering the frame rate) coupled with the fact that the video is playing back a bit slower than it should (though I'd like a full 60FPS ;)) is making any jerking movement more obvious.
I'm willing to go with this.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

hinoris

I Just made my first HD Touhou upload!!
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2010, 08:05:27 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4kHFh8weMk

I used Fraps and Windows Movie maker. Its Kinda like a collection of the replays I played. Enjoyed :)

hinoris

Re: I Just made my first HD Touhou upload!!
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2010, 08:09:25 AM »
I made this Video so I can play it in the coffee shop I work. It'll be fun to watch my customers reaction.

(I'm planning to play this only when my boss is not around tho.)

« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2010, 06:01:57 PM »
Really could have just gone in the HD Touhou tutorial thread, but congrats either way. It really is nice to know you've finally gotten an HD video up. :)

But tell me, what SOUND HOLIC album is that Sleepless Night of the Eastern Country arrange from?

also kanako's opener wtf people can actually do that?

Barrakketh

« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2010, 12:55:54 AM »
also kanako's opener wtf people can actually do that?
You think that's crazy?  Watch this.  Fucking insane.

That track is from this album, though the only one I found on Youtube is the wrong song.  SOUND HOLIC's site plays the one we hear in his video.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2010, 12:58:02 AM »
You think that's crazy?  Watch this.  Fucking insane.
That attack looks threatening, but it's actually just simple streaming made to look intimidating via loads of bullets per stream. :P That's actually considered one of Kanako's easiest attacks, while her opener is possibly her hardest.
Let's fight.

Barrakketh

« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2010, 03:38:31 AM »
That attack looks threatening, but it's actually just simple streaming made to look intimidating via loads of bullets per stream. :P That's actually considered one of Kanako's easiest attacks, while her opener is possibly her hardest.
I wasn't talking about the attack itself.  Note that I linked to a specific point in the video, and then look at that dodge that starts at about 1:33.  I know the hitboxes on those things are lenient, but damn.

« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2010, 02:43:49 PM »
You may be interested in this since it sounds like you're using AVISynth.
I'll have a try. :)

« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2010, 04:29:50 AM »
Any chance of adding PC98 recording to this? I wouldn't want to try it and end up with just a black screen.

Barrakketh

« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2010, 02:46:54 AM »
Any chance of adding PC98 recording to this? I wouldn't want to try it and end up with just a black screen.
Why not try it yourself?  You could even try write up a contribution to the guide if there are any differences that should be noted.

I go about things a different way since I use Linux (though I have to use Windows for the actual recording), so I might try writing up a Python script to automate the process since it's a bit verbose the way I do it...I think the mencoder command alone would intimidate some people:

Code: [Select]
mencoder -o vidout.yuv -ovc raw -noskip -mc 0 -sws 10 -vf format=i420,scale=-2:720,expand=1280:720 -nosound -of rawvideo -fps 60
Nevermind how I handle the actual encoding, muxing, and audio.

Maybe an option to let you give it a file with the video segments and beginning/ending timestamps so you can just create one and let it handle splitting and encoding the segments (which would usually be stages). Right now that would just be waiting for me to have the time and motivation to get around to it :yukkuri: