Author Topic: RaNGE Contest #20: New Stars of Four Seasons (deadline extended to Apr. 28)  (Read 28348 times)

Andi

• World's Gayest Danmaku
  • PlaySE("./se/Nyaa.wav");
    • 2hu blog
Andi, I've tried playing your script, but Danmakufu just closes every time I try to start it.  No error message or anything.  I even made sure I downloaded your latest version.  ???
Oh boy. I'll look into it. Could you try watching the log as it loads and let me know about where things went wrong/what it was trying to load when it crashed/generally the last thing you were able to catch of the log?

I'm definitely learning a lot here and most of it is that my codebase is full of awful hacks that can't be relied on to work on others' machines.
Literally everything in this script will crash and burn.
1CC tracker

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
Oh boy. I'll look into it. Could you try watching the log as it loads and let me know about where things went wrong/what it was trying to load when it crashed/generally the last thing you were able to catch of the log?

I'm definitely learning a lot here and most of it is that my codebase is full of awful hacks that can't be relied on to work on others' machines.

My suggestions for this kind of issue are as follows:
- Download a clean copy of ph3, and rename the ph3 folder to the name of your script (or something else; the point is to locate absolute pathing issues)
- Install your script *exactly according to the directions that you have provided*
- Test for crashes and errors on the separate version

This will remove all of the issues related to absolute pathing and missing dependencies.

Kinedyme

• Dream Magic - Duplex Spark!

If it helps, this is what my log window gave me before the interpreter crashed.
https://pastebin.com/hugGKgiL

I don't actually know if the log buffer is flushed when the system crashes?

The script was launched at line 34.

Andi

• World's Gayest Danmaku
    • 2hu blog
I went ahead and did as Sparen suggested and installed in in a fresh copy of Danmakufu; I still have no idea what the problem was (I was unable to reproduce it on my machine), but here's said copy of Danmakufu with the script already installed. This version works on my machine. Hopefully it will work on others.
1CC tracker

tsunami3000

• Touhou is cool i guess
I went ahead and did as Sparen suggested and installed in in a fresh copy of Danmakufu; I still have no idea what the problem was (I was unable to reproduce it on my machine), but here's said copy of Danmakufu with the script already installed. This version works on my machine. Hopefully it will work on others.

Aaaand danmakufu just freezes now. Not even an error window, it just freezes when I try to play the main script, so I don't know if the problem is mine. The individual scripts, however, work fine (they didn't with the last version I tred), and I've been able to play through all of the attacks. I've got to say the work you've done is incredible, both in the beauty of the patterns, and in the camera system itself. I really hope that, if there is still a problem with the main script, it can be fixed in time, because playing the entire script has got to be great, considering how the attacks are really solid on their own.

Edit: i was stupid. The main script works, as Kinedyme said, it's just that it took my laptop like a minute to load it
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 10:40:02 AM by tsunami3000 »
some day i'll finally beat UFO... some day

Kinedyme

This works for me now.
This is the log file which my machine saved: https://pastebin.com/4PTBMJ6A
If something is causing a crash, I would look at the loading of the boss scene objects, specifically Intro.dnh, because that is where I can hear my computer struggling the most to load. This happens on line 124 and 125 of the log file.
My machine also couldn't load some textures starting at line 147. I think this happens when the intro dialogue is running.
During the script, I also had some texture reading failures for taken photographs:
data/photo_41.png - line 305
data/photo_51.png - line 328
data/photo_54.png - line 336
I don't think these have the capacity to cause the script to crash, but it might be worth looking into.

On top of this, the bullet spawning of some of the patterns on Easy Difficulty is bugging out.
I had problems where bullets did not appear to be spawning correctly/at all here:
1st Summer Nonspell - 2nd phase
1st Winter Nonspell - 2nd phase
1st Spring Spell Card - 3rd phase
2nd Summer Nonspell - 2nd phase
2nd Spring Nonspell - 2nd phase <-- Maybe? I'm not sure if the pattern is working as intended or not.

The script eventually crashed after the second-last spell. There is no information regarding the crash given by the log file.

I hope this helps you fix it, because your script is really really cool.

Andi

• World's Gayest Danmaku
    • 2hu blog
This works for me now.
On top of this, the bullet spawning of some of the patterns on Easy Difficulty is bugging out.
I had problems where bullets did not appear to be spawning correctly/at all here:
The script eventually crashed after the second-last spell. There is no information regarding the crash given by the log file.

I hope this helps you fix it, because your script is really really cool.
Aaaand danmakufu just freezes now. Not even an error window, it just freezes when I try to play the main script, so I don't know if the problem is mine. The individual scripts, however, work fine (they didn't with the last version I tred), and I've been able to play through all of the attacks. I've got to say the work you've done is incredible, both in the beauty of the patterns, and in the camera system itself. I really hope that, if there is still a problem with the main script, it can be fixed in time, because playing the entire script has got to be great, considering how the attacks are really solid on their own.

Edit: i was stupid. The main script works, as Kinedyme said, it's just that it took my laptop like a minute to load it
Glad it seems to be working for everyone this time! Also thank you so much for the feedback, I hoped people would like it but I hadn't expected so much positive reception! <3
I'm kind of in love with this style of gameplay so I'll probably make more scripts in this style in the future. I'm feeling really happy that it seems like people will be interested enough to check them out when I do ^^

I'll look into the issues with Easy mode bullet spawning, I'll admit to not having testing Easy mode as thoroughly as the rest lol. Hopefully I'll figure out that crash at some point.
E: Easy spawning issues should be fixed now
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 06:49:39 PM by Andi »
1CC tracker

This is my entry (even though I already posted in bulletforge)
http://www.bulletforge.org/u/necroheart/p/unseasonal-mooning-daydream

SEASONAL CHAOS
Download link here

This script contains two (or three if you count Aiden's clone) OCs
Please read README.txt, it contains gameplay info of the players.

edit1: 26/04: Changed some errors really quickly, please download again if you didn't.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 12:34:09 AM by Zinochan »

Andi

• World's Gayest Danmaku
    • 2hu blog
SEASONAL CHAOS
I'm having a little trouble seeing the connection between the danmaku and the seasonal theme, but the danmaku itself is pretty good - I liked the one where the red and blue fields were changing the bullets' speeds. It has kind of a lot of survival cards, though, maybe change some of those to regular spellcards?
1CC tracker

Crescendo

• Trying to be a little less lazy
  • ;
Seasonal Misplacement

I'm actually surprised I got myself to finish considering my personal lazy track record  :V

Enjoy~

Edit:
Put some last minute, tiny QOL stuff in. If you already have it and aren't a judge, don't sweat redownloading this. I've just polished some things, which I went over on my script page.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 08:32:25 PM by Crescendo »
Normal 1cc's: EoSD(RA), PCB(SA), IN(BT), MoF(RA), SA(MC), UFO(RB), TD(R), DDC(SA), PDLoLK(Reimu, 921 tries), HSiFS(CWin)
Fangame 1cc's: HSoB-Normal(SPurple,KWhite)
Current goals:  EoSD hard, EoSD extra.
Attempting the art of danmakufu.

I'm having a little trouble seeing the connection between the danmaku and the seasonal theme, but the danmaku itself is pretty good - I liked the one where the red and blue fields were changing the bullets' speeds. It has kind of a lot of survival cards, though, maybe change some of those to regular spellcards?
Thanks for saying that! Your commentary is appreciated!
I already replaced the link (the download link is the same) with updated graphics to better represent the seaons (couldn't do patterns due to how close it is to deadline).

Tad Marx Barba

• Mastermind Behind the Mirror
  • Struggling with my boring life =w=
Re: RaNGE Contest #20: New Stars of Four Seasons
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2019, 06:05:18 AM »
Sparen: Seasonal Rabbit - Download
Danmakufu Video Database: DVDb

Kinedyme: Shrine-Visiting Season - Download
Videos:

Andi: Hanami in Four Seasons - Download
Videos:

JDude: Seasoned Alice - Download
Videos:

NecroHeart/Vigor: Unseasonal Mooning Daydream - Download
Videos:

Zino: Seasonal Chaos - Download
Videos:

Conarnar: Youmu but with Seasons - Download
Videos:

Crescendo: Seasonal Misplacement - Download
Videos:

Tad Marx Barba(I supposed that I'm not so knowed): Seasonal Dreams; I don't have any video for my script, but the thing is to enjoy it!

Links:

Contact me if the script crashes, but I don't think fix it due to the lack of time (I was busy in these two weeks, my apologies :P )

Credits:
  • Some Len'en Sound FXs, bullet sprites by Jinx
  • Some Touhou Sound FXs, bullet sprites, some backdrops, Doremy Sweet and Seija Kijin sprites by ZUN
  • Doremy's theme by ZUN
  • Ridicule Rondo by 深蒼穹

Python

• Plains of Chi-u have no end.
  • They are boundless and last forever.
Yay I made a script, are you happy Tricky?

I didn't want to participate at first but one thing led to another and eight hours later this thing...happened: Four Colors of the Moon
And I seriously tried my best not to make it an impossible mess like...virtually every single one of my other scripts. Especially the contest entries.
Have a look at my truly scrumptious scripts!.

Trickysticks

• What am I? TRICKYSTEAKS I AM!
  • A stick of the tricky variety.
Are you happy Tricky?

No, I'll only be happy when we have 50 entries in 0.5 days. Good job.

The contest officially ends in around 2 hours and 15 minutes as per the countdown timer. I'm not going to close submissions right on the dot, so there's a little bit of leeway, but please get your stuff in soon :). I'll make a post that marks when entries are no longer accepted.

Interested in playing some boss fights I made? Have Danmakufu? Then check out my Danmakufu creations!

Gregory

• I draw stuffs
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 10:51:09 PM by Gregory »

TTBD

• The Terrible Bullet Dodger
  • ^ This is a meme. Praise it. ^
    • I have a Youtube account!
Here's mine and Adam's entry!
http://www.bulletforge.org/u/adam/p/range-20-the-netherworlds-feast-of-four-seasons
Due to deadlines there were a few things we couldn't really fix (there's lag in some of the later things), but we tried our best!
Looks like I don't need a signature either...

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
I see thirteen entires. Looks like we have some good turnout (and some good danmaku ideas)!

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
As we're approaching the deadline and Tricky is too busy/lazy playing League to want to do a stream himself, let's do a livestream of all the entries!
I'll be hosting it on my Twitch page at https://twitch.tv/wishmakers at 8:30 EDT (UTC-4, if reading at the time of posting about an hour from now).
I'm not a judge this time around (so I guess it's not official xd) but I may be able to get one or two of the judges in voice call, we'll see.
Return of Eastern Wonderland! Made by a PC-98 fan FOR fans!
1ccs: SoEW (N), LLS (N), MS (N), EoSD (N, H), PCB (N), IN (N, H), PoFV (N, 5 char), MoF (N), SA (N), UFO (N), TD (N), DDC (N), LoLK (N), HSiFS (E, N, L), WBaWC (N)
Extra: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, HSiFS, WBaWC
Scoring: HSiFS Easy (PB: 1.1b), Barrage Musical Hard (PB: 28.?b)

Trickysticks

Achy also has an entry but forgot his MoTK credentials so I'll post it for him yay: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hSthyIACeWEzsVyx3skqhzL3WK0V7dS0

~~~

Okay, I said I'd close entries a bit after 7:00 PM my time. An hour and 10 minutes is a generous bit. After this post new submissions are late and will be turbo-penalized but if you still have stuff pls submit it don't waste good scripts. Judging will start now and Wish's stream seems like a pretty cool thing to watch if you want to. I'll be there!

Interested in playing some boss fights I made? Have Danmakufu? Then check out my Danmakufu creations!

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
1ccs: SoEW (N), LLS (N), MS (N), EoSD (N, H), PCB (N), IN (N, H), PoFV (N, 5 char), MoF (N), SA (N), UFO (N), TD (N), DDC (N), LoLK (N), HSiFS (E, N, L), WBaWC (N)

Kinedyme

https://www.twitch.tv/wishmakers

Thank you to Wishmakers for his stream.
I have updated the script to reflect the feedback given during the stream.
The new version can be found here:
Shrine-Visiting Season
The contest entry version can still be found at the old post.

Trickysticks

As a bit of an update, I've been slammed by final exams and then graduating from college and it's been a lengthy process so judging took a bit of a backseat. However, I'm picking up the pace and I should be done very soon. Crested's already done with his and yeashie's in the process of finishing up too. So, what this means is...

We will definitely be done before Tuesday is over (like 32-36 hours from this post). We might be done by the end of today (like 8-12 hours from this post). Thank you for your patience.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 04:28:56 AM by Trickysticks »

Trickysticks

The results are in. Woo.

#1) TTBD & Adam: The Netherworld's Feast of Four Seasons
#2) NecroHeart/Vigor: Unseasonal Mooning Daydream
#3) Python: Four Colors of the Moon
#4) Sparen: Seasonal Rabbit
#5) Gregory: Twin Seasons with The Most-Despicable and Disastrous Gods
#6) Achy
#7) Conarnar: Youmu but with Seasons
#8) JDude: Seasoned Alice
#9) Andi: Hanami in Four Seasons
#10) Crescendo: Seasonal Misplacement
#11) Asthmagician
#12) Kinedyme: Shrine-Visiting Season
#13) Zino: Seasonal Chaos
#14) Tad Marx Barba: Seasonal Dreams

There were a lot of interesting ideas used in this contest! There was also a higher minimum amount of patterns than usual, so good job to all of the contestants for meeting that.

Score Spreadsheet Here

Congratulations to the winners!

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
Yooo, congrats to the winners!  I really liked this contest idea.  :toot:

Crescendo

• Trying to be a little less lazy
  • ;
For a first competition being my second script, that wasn't as bad as I'd thought it'd turn out. I still got a long way to go though...

I got a ton of experience and future advice though. Thanks for the opportunity by hosting these!

Congrats to the winners as well!
Normal 1cc's: EoSD(RA), PCB(SA), IN(BT), MoF(RA), SA(MC), UFO(RB), TD(R), DDC(SA), PDLoLK(Reimu, 921 tries), HSiFS(CWin)
Fangame 1cc's: HSoB-Normal(SPurple,KWhite)
Current goals:  EoSD hard, EoSD extra.
Attempting the art of danmakufu.

Kinedyme

Congratulations to TTBD & Adam, NecroHeart/Vigor, and Python!
Your scripts were great!

Thank you also to the judges for your valuable feedback, and also for holding the contest.
It was a lot of fun.

Andi

• World's Gayest Danmaku
    • 2hu blog
"I wonder if the judging for this will be done soon" *forgets to check the thread for a month*  :derp:
Congrats to the winners!
Looking back, I agree that my nonspells were too samey. I'll probably do fewer of them in the future.
1CC tracker