Author Topic: Adventures in Cosplay!  (Read 191459 times)

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
Re: Adventures in Cosplay!
« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2011, 04:10:52 AM »
Yeah hi, Crystal City Beth Israel Hospital?  Room for one, please.  What?  Yes.  Yes, that's right.  I'm booking a room.  November 18th.  Yes, non-smoking.  Uh huh.  Yeah, he's going to foot the bill.  What's the problem?  Oh.  Right.  Face trauma from falling down due to walking on obscure Japanese footwear that technically can only be worn by mythical beings that can fly, thus they don't need to walk in the-

hello?  Hello?  They hung up... weird.
Isn't that how like falling down isn't the problem, it's the suddenly smashing into the ground part?
Oh, come on guys, it's not impossible. I've got a few months to practice walking in them, it can be done. I've seen it done before. There's a blog devoted to geta sandals, if you can believe that.

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2011, 07:22:31 AM »
Well, at least you've got fair warning in advance about stairs.

labeth

• Oh my god, it's full of carbs
« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2011, 09:51:12 PM »
Oh, come on guys, it's not impossible. I've got a few months to practice walking in them, it can be done. I've seen it done before. There's a blog devoted to geta sandals, if you can believe that.

Oh, I'm sure it can be done! I said good luck and I meant it!

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2011, 11:20:18 PM »
Oh hi guys, me again.  Yeah, about the guy who had the face trauma.  Can we get a psych eval along with that too? 

Yeah.  Yeah, it's gonna be a shoe-based delusion.  Oh, what's that?  The Carrie Bradshaw Shoe Psychosis Institute?  Yeah, perfect.  Room for one please. 

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2011, 11:30:26 PM »
I'm going to walk, run, hop, skip, and jump in them just to prove the non-believers wrong... but keep that hospital room open, just in case.

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #95 on: August 07, 2011, 02:40:03 PM »
It's more like, my feet were a bit sore after Mamiboots and I stumbled sometimes and those were normal shoes  :(

ANYWHO, I have the pictures from the photoshoot I was asked to join while on line at California Tortilla of all places since they needed a Mami (apparently I need to start asking photographers in advance to make sure I get non-terrible pictures of the things I make!)  Here are the pics, I am really happy with them!

Oh look it's like we're all from a happy anime!
Wait what was that about a happy anime?
You can see the gun and soul gem detail I went batty over (also where I had to put breaks in the white trim on the boots for the elastic :ohdear:)
And probably my favorite photo of all time, but I shouldn't be getting ahead of myself...

My friend needs to boost her portfolio, so I'll be doing an outdoor shoot with that outfit and Beatrice as well in the next few months.  Outdoor fall shots with either of them should be pretty nifty!

I also probably will start MJP's Brohou and my own next Touhou soon, we're both holding out for Ten Desires to see if any of them will strike our fancy.  But I cannot procrastinate for Katsucon since hahaha I cannot pull the all-nighters I did for Mami during the school year :fail:

labeth

« Reply #97 on: August 08, 2011, 10:17:14 PM »
I keep seeing those pics pop up on the Tumblrs, Triangles, so apparently you're not the only person who likes them. =P

They are all really great shots. The lighting is amazing. What is Sayaka reaching for? I can't tell.

Menorah Jams, Pham

« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2011, 02:54:27 PM »
I keep seeing those pics pop up on the Tumblrs, Triangles, so apparently you're not the only person who likes them. =P

They are all really great shots. The lighting is amazing. What is Sayaka reaching for? I can't tell.

Probably something massively spoileriffic if you haven't seen Madoka, which is spoilered below.

Spoiler:
Soul Gem?

labeth

« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2011, 03:16:27 PM »
Ah! Maybe! I kept thinking it was a button or something, which wasn't making sense to me. (I have seen it.)

triangles

« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2011, 03:41:57 PM »
Indeed, she would up
Spoiler:
popping it off her belly since it was attached with body tape or something
kind of like that episode where it's thrown off the truck.

Actually, what I really need to do is hunt down a Madoka cosplayer in her school uniform for pictures, since that's the bulk of the accurate shoots :V

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2011, 03:44:26 PM »
Maybe I should get that slightly cheaper cosplay instead of the magical girl outfit? Hm!

I've mostly been looking at wigs right now... It looks hard to style a wig, especially into a hairdo like Mami's or Madoka's, so I'm glad they're prestyled.

labeth

« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2011, 04:24:54 PM »
I picked this wig up yesterday for my Moetrice/possible future Yukari-dom. Now to procure an appropriate pipe!

Thinking maybe this pattern might be a good starting point for the skirt, if I just get rid of the ginormous waistband.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 11:49:26 PM by labeth »

triangles

« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2011, 05:42:02 PM »
I don't think you'd even notice the waistband under the jacket.  I completely lost the first layer of ruffle on my skirt under it  :V

Grimarg

• B-but you haven't promoted me yet!
  • Thanks Aoshi for the avvy! :3
« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2011, 11:37:40 AM »
I'm toying with being Aaron Yagokoro House, M.D., and walking around with a cane and a tude, but that might be a bit too meta.
:3
I was gonna do it with Eric Yagokoro, but Aaron sounds more awesome.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2011, 04:27:58 PM »
Ran tail harness progress! All in one breath!

Oh-kay. So the original plan was to use a single strip of 14 gauge wire on the inside of the tail to use for support. The end would have a looped/coiled portion which would hold the wire in place. However, it was still too easy for the wire to rotate around the x axis, meaning the tail could go from straight up to Swiffer broom in all of 1 second. Instead, and due to the size of the wire providing roughly half as much support as I originally wanted, a double loop was made. This puts a coiled section at one end of the wire which runs the length of the tail before making a u-turn back even with the coiled section, ending in another coiled section. The loops of the support wire which are pointing vertically are looped through the horizontal hook. The two loops together do not permit the support wire to rotate around the x axis, making them more stable. In addition, the default orientation of the wire causes the tails to point upward by default, which is a desirable trait because it will be easier to orient tails pointing upwards this way while the flexibility of the wire allows them to point down for the lower tails when desired. Still, the tails still moved (as opposed to rotating around) too freely along the x axis because the twin wires turning and twisting. Limiting their movement later on would require more use from a glue gun, which would also mean a very limited working time frame. In order to reduce the amount the wire would turn, duct tape was used to prevent portions of the wire from sliding past one another, thus limiting said x axis movement. Therefore, overall movement of the support wire is further limited by taping them a few times across the length of the wire. In addition, the hooks themselves - made with a slit to allow them to be threaded over a 2'' wide nylon belt which left enough space around the belt and the slit to turn roughly 120 degrees - were glued into place, limiting rotation of the tails around the y axis, further holding the tails in place. The nature of the wire supports still give the tails a good deal of natural movement and bounce though, so they still retain a semi-natural look. *GUUUUUUUUH*

I might do something to stabilize the tails and harness later on, but for now, the idea works and I'm stickin' to it.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Menorah Jams, Pham

« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2011, 10:13:27 AM »
Ah! Maybe! I kept thinking it was a button or something, which wasn't making sense to me. (I have seen it.)

"Crap, has anyone seen my contacts?  I knew I should have wished for LASIK..."

labeth

« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2011, 09:20:40 PM »
Ran tail harness progress! All in one breath!

You should post a photo tutorial if you like how it turns out!

triangles

« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2011, 03:20:22 PM »
Yes tutorial!  I'm trying to picture it in my head and failing at it.  Is this for AUSA?

As for myself, I'm settling on my upcoming costume stuffs.  NYAF/NYCC, if anyone is going (I only am since my friend couldn't do Otakon and needs to meet Makoto Shinkai OH DARN LOOKS LIKE I HAVE TO GET SOMETHING ELSE AUTOGRAPHED :*) I'll just fix up Beato since I'm commuting in, throw the wig on at the con and not be a total weirdo on the train ride in.  I wish I had some costume that fit the comic con/general nerd side of things but alas, not yet...

Katsucon new stuff is going to be (supposedly) easy mode costumes, though every time I say that it's never the case.  Finally going to get around to making my homegirl Youmu, which is nice since it's all components I've sewn before and still have patterns floating around - circle skirt CHECK, green vest CHECK, poofy sleeves CHECK, no stupid long wig CHECK CHECK CHECK. 

...of course then I go and break my own guidelines of no more long wigs with this lady but it's ok because it's a great show. But at least it's mostly thriftstore alterable, and I actually think I have black shorts I made for a costume many many moons ago that I can size down to be booty shorts huzzah.  Low effort costume!

Yucari

• Humble Tengu Reporter
  • Ah! Domo.
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2011, 03:23:52 PM »
Hey so I'm totally selling off some old costumes and wigs and boots here: http://www.cosplay.com/marketplace/showcat.php?cat=500&ppuser=15774
Because I would like to be able to afford to do cool things, so if anyone is interested in any of that stuff, that would be nifty.

triangles

« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2011, 04:20:18 PM »
What's the height on Ronove?  I think we may have had this conversation already and MJP's too big for it, but either way that's something you may want to put in the ads.

Also KUMATORA :*

Reddyne

« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2011, 07:53:31 PM »
Oh, no! Now I have to write a tutorial for something that might not even work? The supports inside the tails alone have undergone around 5 permutations alone! I only have my old cell phone camera too. All I can promise is a completed rig - with non-detachable tails since THAT idea never really worked out - in another... oh, boy.

Yucari

• Humble Tengu Reporter
  • Ah! Domo.
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2011, 08:19:13 PM »
What's the height on Ronove?  I think we may have had this conversation already and MJP's too big for it, but either way that's something you may want to put in the ads.

Also KUMATORA :*

Well, the people who have worn it in the photos have both been about 5-9. I think MJP is a little too tall for it, unfortunately.
YOU WANNA BUY KUMAAAAAA?

Reddyne

« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2011, 05:42:25 PM »
I can't stand this garbage anymore. I might as well give up on Ran because I've invested well over a month on just getting the tail harness done and not a single part of it ever worked. Making this work would require another 6 weeks of redoing.

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2011, 11:29:18 PM »
I can't stand this garbage anymore. I might as well give up on Ran because I've invested well over a month on just getting the tail harness done and not a single part of it ever worked. Making this work would require another 6 weeks of redoing.
It would be a shame to throw out all the work you already put into it, though.

Reddyne

« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2011, 04:51:30 PM »
It would be a shame to throw out all the work you already put into it, though.
Very true, but I have to face up to a bit of reality: I might have to restart the tails from the ground up. That could mean another 6 weeks of time and another $100+ into a new setup because of how much tail fabric I'll need. I've got another costume I'd like to do that I could potentially get done for that price and in that time frame. I dunno if I really want to go through that entire process again for what I thought would be a significant but still limited portion of the entire costume.

I could always just find some compromise, but I don't think that I'd be satisfied nor will it help the costume. I need three tails that should stick up a fair deal and that's just about it. The others should be okay. My saving throw will probably involve wrapping all 4 wires around the hook in some fashion with needlenose pliers so that there simply will be no room for movement whatsoever.

If four 14 gauge steel wires tightly coiled around themselves and their foundation cannot hold some maybe 1.5 kgs of tail aloft at more than the 5 degree angle I have now, then I quit physics and materials science forever. If so, you may catch a glimpse of me casually hovering and doing cartwheels 200 meters over much of the east coast with no means of propulsion while crafting granite balloon animals.

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2011, 11:37:04 PM »
Well... that sounds like fun. Good luck in trying to get the tails to work.

In other news, got the lace bloomers I ordered to add to my costume. Yay :3

labeth

« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2011, 04:53:19 PM »
Very true, but I have to face up to a bit of reality: I might have to restart the tails from the ground up. That could mean another 6 weeks of time and another $100+ into a new setup because of how much tail fabric I'll need. I've got another costume I'd like to do that I could potentially get done for that price and in that time frame. I dunno if I really want to go through that entire process again for what I thought would be a significant but still limited portion of the entire costume.

Arg, that's really frustrating. Honestly, I would probably be too annoyed to work on it at this point, if it were me.

I got my Moe-moe Beatrice wig in yesterday, and luckily the bangs aren't too bad. They'll only need a bit of a trim. Derpy-faced picture here (I am not looking at the camera and thus look mildly stoned.) I might get a cheapie Halloween wig and experiment on it before I take the shears to that one, though.

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2011, 11:42:19 PM »
Call the hospitals kids, and tell them to expect a Tengu, because the sandals of death have finally arrived!

« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2011, 01:51:49 AM »
So for Otakon, I carried around a toy M4A1 as part of my costume.  The M4A1 looked quite good (for a prop) and served its purpose with it's faux red dot sight and foregrip, but even after dissasembly into three parts (which thankfully was possible on this gun), it was still too long to fit into the shoulder bag I had.  As such, I was forced to carry it in a canvas sack (or amusingly enough, a plastic shopping bag) whenever I traveled between hotel and convention center, as I didn't feel particularly compelled to have a conversation with the Baltimore Police Department at REAL gunpoint.  In addition, due to it's somewhat long profile, more than once I demonstrated hilariously amateurish weapon awareness by whacking the barrel on walls, doorframes, and I at least once on another cosplayer (sorry to that other person, whereever you are).  So, upon my return from the con, I made the decision to find a more compact solution to my prop gun needs, and after some review of the options available to me bought a Taidi TD-2009, which is a toy version of the HK MP5SD6, a name that should be familiar to anyone who has played the Rainbow Six series (or for that matter, Call of Duty 4).  As an integrally suppressed sub-machine gun, it possesses badassness and subtlety in equal measure, all in a streamlined package.  So clearly, with such a compact weapon, my days of barrel whacking are ov-wait a minute...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-SpGavSAmgWU/TlR1X3InqSI/AAAAAAAAAJY/90O4lB7jmHc/s640/IMG_1462.JPG

-DAMNIT.  Well, I guess now when I prod somebody out of sheer inattention, it'll at least be quiet...