Author Topic: Issue with Touhou 12.3, Utsuho does not display (issue resolved)  (Read 8301 times)

Von Stein

• Just some insane airhead.
  • What's this newfangled stuff?
Exactly what it says on the tin, or rather in the topic.

The reason I am posting this is because Utsuho's sprite does not display in combat. Only her special effects show up, as in her bullets, her shadow, her little restless electron-reminiscent-dot-of-light, etc.

I don't have that problem with any of the other characters so far.

The game is patched to version 1.01 (The same however happens with 1.00 as well).

Now as for my system info...suffice it to say that I am about a millenium behind on almost everything. Well...behind since the last millenium. I have a very low end computer, not compatible with the latest versions of DirectX 9c etc. I am running Windows XP, and the game runs to my own surprise at full speed, only stuttering a bit on higher concentrations of special effects showing up.

Now my question is less off "What can I do to get her sprite to show up" and more "Why is her sprite not showing up?"

I have a feeling it has to do with the constant electron floating around, but I am not certain...

Also of note is that my copy may be corrupted...my hard-drives have seen more time on airplanes than some of us may have, and the CD my friend send me was in a standard case, so who knows what happened...

One final note. I do plan on playing this game on a higher end computer soon anyways (Not my own computer, but my parents' computer, when I get a chance) so this need not be treated as high priority, if someone should be foolish enough to consider it as such.

Anyways, thanks for any help anyone is willing to provide, and sorry for the trouble.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 03:10:02 AM by Edward von Stein »
Can't think of a good signature.
More lilies maybe?

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
Re: Issue with Touhou 12.3, Utsuho does not display
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 04:17:51 AM »
uh, try reinstalling DirectX?
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

AM

• You just ate!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 07:41:59 AM »
If reinstalling directX doesn't work then Utsuho's sprite could be corrupted, run chkdsk and reinstall. If even that fails then it could be that your graphics card is just too old to show the parallax scrolling stars in Utsuho's cape and the whole sprite gets deleted.

Von Stein

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
Hmm, there are supposed to be stars in Utsuho's cape? That might be the problem then. My graphic card is rather old...heck, I tried playing a Sierra adventure game the other day and my graphic card couldn't even handle that. ^_^;; (I think that is however a trouble with XP there. =p ANd not on topic)

Sadly neither reinstalling directx nor running chkdsk are an option for me.

My soundcard is incompatible with the XACTengine API version 3.0 and onward, and my Graphic card can't handle the xvideo API version 20. and onward I think...e.g. the installation returns an internal error 100 out of 100 times, no matter what changes I make, without changing the computer.

And as for chkdsk...Not an option either...computer hangs every time I do that...my hard drives both are corrupted in certain sectors in such a way that chkdsk can't handle it and commits ritualistic suicide in front of me.

I am however afraid it's a combintion of outdated directx and graphic card not being able to handle the combination of electron, stars and sprite...It may try to display the star pattern as a transparent and ends up making the entire sprite transparent...Ah well, I can still play the game, I just can't see her. Might add a challenge when I fight against her. =p

And yeah, I realize with all the limitations I have it's stupid of me to really ask. I should've expected it to not work perfectly. At least it works much better than IaMP, SA and UFO...none of them even start. (Direct X issues on SA and UFO, graphic card issues on IaMP I believe.)

Thanks for the suggestions though. I think I better shut up now. ^_^;;;
More lilies maybe?

Von Stein

Re: Issue with Touhou 12.3, Utsuho does not display (issue resolved)
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 03:11:17 AM »
On the off chance someone else should have that problem and see this...as of patch 1.02 the issue has been resolved for me (See edit below)...I have a solid blue cape instead of a spaced out one, BUT I DON"T CARE, I CAN SEE OKUU! WHOOO!
*cries manly tears of joy*

Edit: I take that back about the patch fixing it...it was the lines I added into the configex123

[etc]
limit= 1

Oh well, as long as I can see my nuclear hellraven. =3
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 03:45:48 AM by Edward von Stein »
More lilies maybe?

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 09:40:29 PM »
Hold on I think the cape might be why Utsuho won't work for me... I'm trying that now.

EDIT: YES! IT WORKS! HOW IN THE WORLD DID YOU DISCOEVER THAT AND HOW CAN I EVER REPAY YOU?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 09:44:25 PM by Rikter »

Von Stein

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 03:02:11 AM »
Be my bitch. Alternatively, just be glad you have lovely Okuu now. =p

And the wiki has that as a fix for another glitch relating to Utsuho and crashes...I figured it was worth a try.
More lilies maybe?