Author Topic: Help: How strong a computer do i need?  (Read 2823 times)

Help: How strong a computer do i need?
« on: July 23, 2009, 12:52:59 PM »
I'm about to purchase a new laptop but i have no idea how powerful i need it to be. I want it to be able to record Touhou games using the FRAPS program.

I'm pretty much a noob at this area so i guessed that somebody on MoTK maybe would know what kind of specs you would want for your PC if you were to record Touhou games.

Thanks in advance.

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
Re: Help: How strong a computer do i need?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 02:07:19 PM »
get a core 2 duo processor with a nvidia graphics like 9300 or better.

or a turion dual core and some ati HD4300 or something...
Current Goal: PCB Lunatic 1cc
Watch me on Youtube

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 04:40:04 PM »
Okay, thanks.

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 12:53:33 AM »
As an example, I'll just throw out my laptop's basic specs:

Core 2 Duo T9300 @ 2.5 GHz
4 GB RAM
GeForce 8600M GT
7200RPM HDD

I'm able to pretty much record anything Touhou-related without problems. A few hitches tend to occur though, especially when the 4GB max is reached for each individual .avi (at this point, FRAPS makes another humongous file). To get past this issue, I usually make 2 or more recordings of the same replay, starting at different times. I then splice them together to get a single video that runs perfectly fine from beginning to end. The laptop is a year old now though, so obviously you should try to aim for something better (especially if you're getting a desktop, at which point, getting something way better won't be expensive at all). You'll probably run into no recording issues whatsoever with a better setup, aside for the possibility of a quick bump when the aforementioned 4GB max is reached.