Author Topic: Post Your Artwork Thread V5  (Read 255193 times)

Sixten

• Legendary Creature - Frog
  • 6/10
    • House of Sixten
Re: Post Your Artwork Thread V5
« Reply #960 on: June 09, 2013, 05:54:03 PM »
32? :V

33, actually.

(If you think I suck at drawing characters now, my stuff from 2000 will make you throw up. Good thing for everyone that I was strictly on background duty back then.)

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #961 on: June 09, 2013, 07:41:16 PM »
I don't know which impresses me more---that you actually know what Magi-Nation is/was or that you got to work on the GBC game of it. :o

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #962 on: June 09, 2013, 08:09:03 PM »
Fighting game hasn't happened (yet), but Pokemon-style creature collecting game has.

(That moment when people realize how old you have to be to have worked on a game that came out in 2001...)

Wow! Nice, man!

« Reply #963 on: June 10, 2013, 04:19:18 AM »
33, actually.

(If you think I suck at drawing characters now, my stuff from 2000 will make you throw up. Good thing for everyone that I was strictly on background duty back then.)

...Suddenly I'm curious!

ErASeR MOdER MAxiMUM

• sad to the core core core
  • SIE SIND DAS ESSEN UND WIR SIND DIE J?GER
    • tumblr
« Reply #964 on: June 11, 2013, 07:31:45 PM »
Aaaah I'm so jealous!

Everyone draws digitally but I'm only capable of posting art with Instagram.

haha ya im bak lol
3dpig.tumblr.com follow my tumbler

« Reply #965 on: June 12, 2013, 11:31:53 AM »
Have not posted here in years.  Just felt like dropping by with a Yukari.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 03:46:35 PM by Derpius Maximus »

pineyappled

« Reply #966 on: June 13, 2013, 01:57:56 AM »

Where are her internal organs?

ErASeR MOdER MAxiMUM

• tumblr
« Reply #967 on: June 13, 2013, 02:00:22 AM »
Where are her internal organs?
It could just be stylized. Not every style incorporates realistic anatomy.

haha ya im bak lol

pineyappled

« Reply #968 on: June 13, 2013, 02:15:11 AM »
Yeah, but there's a limit to how far you can go without looking silly.

ErASeR MOdER MAxiMUM

• tumblr
« Reply #969 on: June 13, 2013, 02:21:07 AM »
It isn't that bad, though. It's plausible, at least.

haha ya im bak lol

« Reply #970 on: June 13, 2013, 02:39:06 AM »
That reasoning won't work here, because it's not even plausible. I can give a few examples myself.

-Yukari here looks anorexic, yet when she arches her back her ribcage is hardly seen.
-The stomach looks like it has an abundace of fat even when her arms look bony.
-Ass starts too early. You can see the bulge at the back just under where the navel is.
-boobs are angled wrong.
-wrong calf shape.
-uncomfortable position.

This looks more like anatomical fallacies than 'stylistic choice', whatever that means. It's a giant under consideration of what the human body is made up of.

ErASeR MOdER MAxiMUM

• tumblr
« Reply #971 on: June 13, 2013, 02:44:53 AM »
-Yukari here looks anorexic
you really gonna use eating disorders as criticism buddy  ≖‿≖

Regardless, it's not perfect. No shit. There's not really any reason to be so harsh, though.

You can give criticism without being a big 'ol jerk dingus.

haha ya im bak lol

« Reply #972 on: June 13, 2013, 03:51:13 AM »
My point is that you cannot simply wave away such errors as 'stylistic choice'.

I'm only pointing out the flaws. I have no problem with yukari looking excessively thin, but when other parts of the body simply don't fit with that, then that's a mistake that requires pointing out and correction.

If my being straight forward doesn't sit well with you...well, excuse me then.

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #973 on: June 13, 2013, 04:39:17 AM »
To be honest, I find the picture to be pretty incoherent myself. The anatomy unfortunately creates a lot of dissonance with the otherwise good coloring and shading.
I found NotaPirate's critique to be perfectly fine. There are a lot of issues in the picture that are best addressed quickly and bluntly. And looking at Derpius' past works, I think he has enough experience to take this kind of criticism.

pineyappled

« Reply #974 on: June 13, 2013, 05:36:55 AM »
Not to mention the convenient hiding of both hands looks lazy. One? Okay, fine. Two? You're not even trying.

Vento

• Playtime is over!!!!
  • TRIGGER WARNING : #2handsome5casuls
« Reply #975 on: June 13, 2013, 06:32:27 AM »
while being lazy is not a virtue judging ones piece on whether they hide hands or not is kind of unfair because everyone draws things at their own pace, thats like judging 90% of the artwork to be bad because they dont have backgrounds... backgrounds are hard yes? so are hands to lots of people

on the yukari my only comment is that her torso is looooooong but otherwise i dont really have any issues, not everyone knows how to shade a ribcage etc
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:28:47 PM by Vento »
Distasteful Tater Elites 1st division

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #976 on: June 13, 2013, 09:19:11 AM »
>kinoko & pirate
>non-harsh criticism

pick one.

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #977 on: June 13, 2013, 11:28:07 AM »
I think that Yukari looks good too.

@kinoko: but silly is fun :<

@Biohazurd: Their criticism can be reworded to be less harsh yet still keep the essence of importance in it. Besides, most of what kinoko and pirate said isn't harsh, but rather neutral. o_o I'd say all that feedback needs is some pointers on making the picture more anatomically-correct.

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #978 on: June 13, 2013, 12:22:38 PM »

One question about anatomy based in this pic, is it possible to cross-legs like she is doing on the drawing? Her thighs are almost at the same height so it looks that her knee is dislocated.
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

« Reply #979 on: June 13, 2013, 01:21:49 PM »
It's not. That was what I meant by uncomfortable pose, but when i took a look at it again I realised that the only way to do this is if yukari had curved legs.

ErASeR MOdER MAxiMUM

• tumblr
« Reply #980 on: June 13, 2013, 03:54:25 PM »
holy smokes

haha ya im bak lol

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #981 on: June 13, 2013, 05:54:38 PM »
ITT: No one has ever crossed their legs over the knee.

You're not even trying.
Hi, I know it's kind of your schtick to drop these dismissive, super-short posts on people, but try and learn what "criticism" means.

This goes for anyone, really: it's fun and easy to be snarky, dismissive, and come up with colorful comparisons to eating disorders in describing someone's drawing style. Try instead to point out what's wrong, why, and what can be changed. The shittiness around here has made folks reluctant to share anything at all.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #982 on: June 14, 2013, 06:45:40 PM »
Well that escalated quickly. This is also the crappiest greeting I've ever gotten.

Guess I'll say few things too, I would feel bad if I said nothing.

I think he has enough experience to take this kind of criticism.

Art isn't a field full of weirdos who mercilessly shake eachother down, please don't buy into that stereotype, real life isn't a Gordon Ramsay tv show.  There is still such a thing as good and bad critique.  In a good critique, the person attempts to address the flaws in the drawing in ways that is both positive and persuasive.  The goal is to pass on personal experience and hope it reaches the artist.  Bad critique is what this page is full of. Blunt, mostly unhelpful, and needlessly abrasive. Out of respect for the person who spent effort to draw, it's proper etiquette to take the time to craft a proper response.

Also, I'm not trying to downplay anatomy, it's pretty important and I made crappy mistakes,  but there is more to art than anatomy all day everyday.  Anatomy is just something you improve at as you practice or  put more time/effort into a painting, and quite frankly, anatomical mishaps happen all the time, being fully absorbed into that one tiny facet of art is insanity, there are many other components to art to concern yourselves over.  I say this because everyone here seems to be really into anatomy.

Haven't had time to draw more yet, been busy at work, so here's an older Touhou related painting.

Something different to break up the pace

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 06:49:48 PM by Derpius Maximus »

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #983 on: June 14, 2013, 07:02:15 PM »
Something different to break up the pace

Tall chairs :O

I forgot to say in my last post that the coloring in your pictures looks pretty good :)
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #984 on: June 14, 2013, 10:10:09 PM »
Art isn't a field full of weirdos who mercilessly shake eachother down, please don't buy into that stereotype, real life isn't a Gordon Ramsay tv show.  There is still such a thing as good and bad critique.  In a good critique, the person attempts to address the flaws in the drawing in ways that is both positive and persuasive.  The goal is to pass on personal experience and hope it reaches the artist.  Bad critique is what this page is full of. Blunt, mostly unhelpful, and needlessly abrasive. Out of respect for the person who spent effort to draw, it's proper etiquette to take the time to craft a proper response.
I do agree that bad/unhelpful critique exists, and I don't excuse it either. But I still wouldn't say blunt counts as bad. Being polite is certainly helpful to the artist, but if I draw a girl with a freakishly terrible arm, sometimes the best thing someone can say to me is simply, "That arm is completely off in every single aspect, especially because it's way too long. This picture can't be redeemed."
Even better when the person points out various flaws. It gets straight to the point and its boldness reflects just how demanding the need is for me to get it right.
Bad critique, to me at least, is generally when someone doesn't explain their dislike for a piece, or tells the artist to give up.

Zoriri

• Danmaku Trainee
« Reply #985 on: June 15, 2013, 01:59:58 AM »
Hey everyone. Finally decided to make a post here. ^^ Since i don't have any good pictures of any cannon touhou characters, here, have an oc.
http://kururukekeke12.deviantart.com/art/The-Modern-Traditional-378030735?ga_submit_new=10%253A1371261419

Also, sorry for the quality. My scanner was acting up, so I had to take a picture.

P.S: How do you change the appearence of links?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 02:01:38 AM by Zoriri »

« Reply #986 on: June 15, 2013, 02:09:23 AM »
I do agree that bad/unhelpful critique exists, and I don't excuse it either. But I still wouldn't say blunt counts as bad. Being polite is certainly helpful to the artist, but if I draw a girl with a freakishly terrible arm, sometimes the best thing someone can say to me is simply, "That arm is completely off in every single aspect, especially because it's way too long. This picture can't be redeemed."
Even better when the person points out various flaws. It gets straight to the point and its boldness reflects just how demanding the need is for me to get it right.
Bad critique, to me at least, is generally when someone doesn't explain their dislike for a piece, or tells the artist to give up.

I suppose it's a different expectation from a different person, but from my perspective it would be more useful to the person if I were to first say it's all wrong, politely, point the person to some proper resources that is suitable for their level of experience and then give them some personal advice.  For instance I know a general beginners tip is to draw using pencil and eschew digital altogether because using Undo is way too convenient and doesn't challenge the learner to do things correctly the first time.Then I'll cross my fingers and hope that that nudges the person in the right direction.

I would say all that because anatomy is fickle and I don't want someone to lose interest in art or become too frightened to seek advice simply because of anatomy.  It's a highly technical aspect and I've seen commercial pieces where the anatomy was fudged and the piece was done by a well known artist.  That is how hard anatomy is, it's something that requires practice and study, it's not something that improves leaps and bounds because some guy on the internet bluntly pointed it out to you. So I honestly don't feel it's bad  for someone to make irredeemably jank art. and indeed if you're a beginner everything you do will be crappy, lets face it, that's the truth, and you will churn out crappy art for months and months and possibly years to come depending on how much effort you can afford to invest in the hobby.  At that stage I would rather get encouraging advice than something kind of blunt and discouraging that plays with your mood.

And if you want me to be totally ruthless, if the only thing a person can do is call out on anatomical mistakes yet is unable to conjure up a piece of advice or point the artist in the right direction then not only is it really mediocre advice but I would say it also puts the person's own technical competence into question and what business they have giving art advice to someone.  You don't have to be a master chef to know that food is bad, but the master chef wouldn't take cooking lessons from that guy either.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #987 on: June 15, 2013, 03:07:06 AM »
Well said,  mate. Oh, and don't mind Crass Crew here, there's a bunch of other artists, pro and amateur, as well as art lovers, who are capable of more constructive feedback.

Oh and your coloring and backgrounds kick ass, wouldn't mind seeing more.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #988 on: June 15, 2013, 11:51:47 AM »
P.S: How do you change the appearence of links?
Code: [Select]
[url=http://example.example/uri/here/index.php?whatever=somewhat]Nice text[/url]Nice text

Now I should write something about the picture? Oh...
Well, it looks like ZUN could draw it.

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Zoriri

• Danmaku Trainee
« Reply #989 on: June 15, 2013, 12:27:38 PM »
Well, it looks like ZUN could draw it.

I'll take that as a compliment, seeing as how when i try to mimic ZUNs' style it comes out... very bad.