Author Topic: Maple Story  (Read 16468 times)

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
Re: Maple Story
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2009, 04:40:24 PM »
I'm surprised it isn't higher up.
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2009, 05:13:13 PM »
The problem with death is not "lugging around ten trillion potions to prevent it," it's "if you fuck up at all with using them, or, say, lag for five seconds while stuck among a mob while the game actually goes through using that potion" (fuck satellite connections for gaming, seriously) - less a matter in difficulty of preventing in optimal conditions, and more a matter of how harsh the punishment is when you screw up, whether it's your fault or not.

You just stated one of my biggest complaints with MMOs and similar games. Players can recover all their HP in less than two seconds, so the only way for enemies to actually threaten players with death is to give them completely absurd DPS. This means if you get mobbed by more than one of the things or there's a lag spike or something, you're dead.

I'd prefer to see a setup where healing is much more limited and is a resource that must be carefully managed, and players get worn down over the course of a raid, rather than getting knocked to critical and healed to full every few seconds. This would also remove the constant need for a healbot, which nobody likes playing.

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
  • Trying to be an engineer
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2009, 05:22:18 PM »
That game, I downloaded it and played it for half an hour before quitting.  Aside from the tutorial island where you got to go around and kill the oh-so-deadly snails, some guy by the name of fr0zen_dick1 followed me around and kept calling me a kill stealer.

I just knew it was bad news from the start.

shinyjam

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2009, 11:22:13 PM »
Hint: Quit any mmo that monsters can kill you in less then 1 minute if you just stand and do nothing. It will catch up exponential to the point you will die easily even at high level without perfect healing/dodging routine.

shinyjam

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2009, 08:32:23 PM »
The idea of monsters damaging you if you touch them was supremely retarded,
Yes, yes, yessss, why do I keep forgetting this one! It make no sense when I am higher level! I should be damaging them when they touch ME!

Most bs thing in so so many side scrolling game...include castlevania.

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2009, 07:15:53 AM »
Most bs thing in so so many side scrolling game...include castlevania.
That's why Puzzle World in Henry Hatsworth is complete BS. I hate these little explosvie guys... >:(

shinyjam

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2009, 03:38:19 PM »
Who the bastard that started this idea of enemy touching you equal you get hurt!

Edit: Might be super mario...

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2009, 08:18:49 PM »
The idea of monsters damaging you if you touch them was supremely retarded,
Yes, yes, yessss, why do I keep forgetting this one! It make no sense when I am higher level! I should be damaging them when they touch ME!

Power Guard says hi.

In other news,

am i exalted yet
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 08:48:25 PM by Rika »

shinyjam

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2009, 08:58:42 PM »
At least you don't need to kill and collect things by the hundreds...yet.

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2009, 07:50:18 AM »
It's been more like thousands, actually.

Note my level in that screenshot, despite the deceptive gear setup... unless there's something I'm missing from that statement.