Author Topic: Dreaming of Doppelgangers- Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion - Ran! (Hiatus)  (Read 64121 times)

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
Re: Dreaming of Doppelgangers- Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion - Ran!
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2016, 11:11:29 AM »
Thank you very much, Dormio, I'll get these sent off soon.

On another note, I'll have to take a short hiatus from the LP, my laptop charger finally gave out and my replacement won't come in the mail until Thursday. I can theoretically use my remaining battery life to get one more update up, but I'll just wait until I get the replacement charger. Thankfully I have my phone, so I can still send and receive emails about the .TARC file unpacker.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2016, 12:01:09 PM »
So, I have two pieces of good news. First, I'm getting my new charger today, so that'll mean I can get back to working on updates. But more importantly, I have gotten a positive response about the unpacker tool.

マンマミーアさんの事情により、私が代わりに連絡します。
ーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーー

I'm the main patch maker of Touhou Genmu Youtan. 
I saw the mail from my online aquaintance.
I'm glad that my program can help your translation progress.
But, as a matter of fact, my program isn't perfect.
There's a little lack in my program,
so if you try to extract 'game.tarc' and repack as it is,
maybe you'll see the error while playing game.
Similarly, you would not be able to replace image in 'img.tarc' or 'img2.tarc', because of memory error.

First problem can be solved if you just replace data file.
Ex) genmu.exe -r game.내 PCtarc [the file you translated] [original file path]
if you want to change the body of 'taisyou_uraki_0101.srsdb' in game.tarc to 'taisyou_uraki_0101_changed.srsdb', you can execute
genmu.exe  -r  game.tarc  taisyou_uraki_0101_changed.srsdb  data\database\taisyou_uraki_0101.srsdb

Second problem can be solved if you just extract 'img.tarc' or 'img2.tarc' and repack.
If you extract TARC file, there will be created another text file, that has same name.
you can repack with this file.
Ex) genmu.exe  -x  img.tarc  ->  (files and txt file will be created)
-> genmu.exe  -c  img.tarc  img.txt

At last, you'll see '.srsdb' file if you extract 'game.tarc'.
These files can be converted using '-xs', '-cs' option.
Ex) genmu.exe  -xs  taisyou_uraki_0101.srsdb   ->   taisyou_uraki_0101.txt file will be created. (You can edit this file using notepad.)
->   genmu.exe  -cs  taisyou_uraki_0101.txt(you edited)   ->   taisyou_uraki_0101.srsdb file will be recreated.

Img files are almost .png file or .dds file.
I think that you can edit these files.
So...good luck!

This is the breakthrough. I have the extractor as I speak, I'm going to mirror it on my MEGA just in case some freak hard drive accident occurs (I'm using what remains of my laptop's battery to do this, haven't touched it in a couple days and it's still got a decent amount left), and I'm going to do a quick extraction and translation so-as to test if it works. If it does, then an English patch is very possible. I'm damn excited to get to work!

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2016, 12:07:48 PM »
ho shet ho shet ho shet

Massive hype.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2016, 12:38:46 PM »
So, initial testing for just messing around with the item.srsdb file has lead to the following:

More or less, it'll perfectly reinsert any edited text, but the original text is going to get messed up pretty bad. So, this will work, but the entire file has to be done all at once. That's no issue, tbh. I'm going to work on a complete runover of the item.srsdb, and then test it with my expansion file (it's all the way at the expansion final boss which I have yet to beat, so I have... what, most items in the game other than those you only get from the last Dream Corridor which is really stupid hard?).

But hey, it's PROGRESS AND POSSIBLE AND AAAAAAAAH I'M SO HAPPY. ;~;

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2016, 12:56:41 PM »
Probably an issue with our computers/programs not being native japanese. If you edit it with notepad, for example... well, you can avoid these issues, in my experience, by getting Notepad++ instead. (It has a fairly different interface you might like more or less.) This could be relevant if a table you want translated includes other junk you aren't planning on translating now/ever or whatnot.
edit:Wait you don't edit table spreadsheets with notepad DERP

But yes. Hype.

I DON'T MEAN TO BE GREEDY, but, super vague estimate on time length until basic gameplay patch, so items and skills and shikigami passives? I'm talking in the realms of "Is this gonna be a few weeks or a couple months or"
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 12:58:26 PM by Serela »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2016, 01:04:45 PM »
A reasonable estimate based off of my previous experience with the DoD patch is "within two weeks if I don't slack off, one week if I really crack down and rush". I don't need to do much more translation since I already have a basis down, so that saves a LOT of time. All skills and most equipment I already had done, so it's stuff like materials, the last couple of equips I didn't translate, and item descriptions and whatnot are all that'll need translation. I can't work on it much more today until my charger comes in, but my goal today is to get as many item names done as possible. Mind you this is without doing images and whatnot, which I want to do but I know given my crappy Photoshop skills won't be done for uh... awhile, not that I could translate a whole lot other than, say, the menu and map names without it getting into the territory of "oh god I need to edit around this background help it's too complex oh god why". I also have another full update to upload and half of another done but I'll probably wait on that, it's just the one for the Pyramid which doesn't have too much interesting going on since I'm waiting out on the boss until I finish the other dungeon.

tl:dr- One to two weeks if I really put the pedal to the metal.

EDIT: Speaking of the DoD patch, while my focus right now is NoR, I will be trying to see if I can't work on the Banquet version of Devil of Decline and get that going. If I can, that opens up every .TARC using game (Touhou Quest, Nightmare of Rebellion, Marisa's Kirisame Magic Shop, Devil of Decline ~ Banquet and Phantasmal Summoners 2).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 01:06:18 PM by Validon98 »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2016, 01:14:50 PM »
I was just thinking along those lines (in reference to the other games), cracking .tarc really opens things up a lot.

You have my endless gratitude. <3 I love Bose's games to death, given I've played both GoS and DoD from start to post-finish twice. It's nice that I've been as important as I have been in getting them translated despite a complete lack of hacking or translation skill. (GoS's patch was in the throes of stalling out because the game incessantly crashed at an unplayable grade 'til I found how to bypass that (And weekend works without a hitch, no workaround! <3), and DoD was frozen apart from me chatting up the translation thread with the situation enough you showed up and took real initiative.)

Also I sent your youtube a message before you posted that :V (No rush 'cause I know you don't have your charger yet)

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2016, 09:02:02 PM »
So, got my new charger, it works like a charm (thank you people who sell new chargers for way less than the company that actually makes them because holy hell I was not about to drop $55ish on a charger when I could get the same thing for $17ish plus shipping and handling), so I'll be able to work on English patch stuff, updates, and the like. I should probably make a separate thread for the translation, but I just want to get a quick opinion since I'm busy with dinner and other stuff at the moment.

I looked over the images that need translation, and a lot of them have the background practically welded onto the text, so unlike DoD, there's not going to be any straight-up replacing the text, I'm probably instead going to overlay the English onto the Japanese and call it good for the time being until someone can figure out how to do some very, very good image cleaning. The biggest offender would have to be the pretty fade-in for each new area. They look nice, but are a several frame long animation with the text welded right to the rest of the animation. It doesn't just fade in separately. In order to get around this, I had an idea as to how to layer it so it works out.

Does that look good? I think the font is a really good fit for this game, kinda gives the English enough of an Oriental feel without it being dumb (I could use Monotype Corsiva, but I think that fit DoD better, Viner Hand ITC fits this a bit more). It's just positioning I'm worried about.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2016, 12:33:39 AM »
I like that text Validon no seriously I like it a lot, here's hoping for a translation.
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2016, 02:23:33 AM »
The overlap with the japanese is slightly janky, but that's still a really good solution for what you've got to work with. The only thing I could possibly suggest is fading the jp beneath the english portion with just a bit of darkness, but in practice that might -actually- just look really weird? It's hard to imagine whether it would or not without seeing it. But in any case, yeah, that looks pretty nice.

Also, just in case, I do want to politely request the doppel classes are kept as the original and not the LP's flavorful versions! I don't think you'd do that on the actual translation patch anyway but just in case :V

Other translation oddities... hmm. The hits list doesn't have a lot of space... Melee/Ranged/Magic/Healing/____/Support/Evasion... I think shortening Defensive Support to just Support would be sufficient as that's intuitive (otherwise, this category does like... exclusively cover buffs, doesn't it? So Buff/Buffs could work), but I don't know what sort of description is short enough to communicate "Offensive Support" in english. It matters for the sub doppel class name too. Hmm... it's not JUST debuffs. Going the other way with status effects and using "Status" is too vague and is just worse. Debilitate/Debilitation is sort of long and looks rather out of place with all the other words. I guess Debuff could still sort of imply statuses?? There's probably a better word somewhere.

HMM. Suppress could be good. That's also the opposite word for Support. Hmmm, I like this, yes, I like this one c: Pairing up Support and Suppress makes it pretty clear which category is covering which, since it's realistic someone could mistake Support for debuffs and such.

The only other awkward thing I could think of is the multi-elemental sub doppel class which could probably just be shortened to "Multi". It's right after the other two groups, I suppose, so it's understandable... <.< There may be a better word, but I'm not as sure.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2016, 03:04:52 AM »
To give you an idea of what the original file looks like for area transitions: https://gyazo.com/9e24723f382e2d837004878ac956f5c6

And yeah nah, I'm not going to use my flavorful names for doppels or anything, I'll stick to the literal. :V

Did make a lot of progress so far. Names for all weapons, all shields, all materials, all enchantment-related things, all key items, and all armors are done, I'm working on accessories now, and I'll be doing the skills after. Then once names are done, it's on to the description text and effects, and then after that I'll probably move on to doppel stuff.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2016, 03:25:19 AM »
Sweet :D

...also, jeez, that's a lot of frames... do you have to add the english text onto every single frame manually...? >.> That sounds like a pain in the neck. At least it's not a high priority thing.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2016, 12:51:44 PM »
Yeah, you'd have to add it to each frame seperately. It's... a pain, but yeah, low priority.

All item names are now done, now working on skill names. I also did some testing and as it turns out, the usual circle/double circle/star symbols for resistances... won't get transferred. No idea why, but they just appear as blank space, probably because of some encoding problem. Of course, if I change the encoding of the file I'm working on, it'll break the game upon insertion, so for the time being, I'm going to do something like "[MYS Resist+++]" instead of "[☆ MYS]", and such. + for circle, ++ for double circle, +++ for star, ++++ for filled star, - for x, and -- for skull.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2016, 12:57:04 PM »
Huh?

So what does the JP version do for them then? o.o You could probably swap ++++ for *, at least. It might be hard to do anything past that unless we could get an easier idea what symbols -are- usable. What does it use for the resistance chart on the stat screen too, then...? (I guess they might just be images, though, so not technically usable.) It's harder to change the used symbols for equipment if the stat screen has it's own list, after all. XD
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 12:58:58 PM by Serela »

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2016, 12:58:58 PM »
I mean, the JP version uses the original symbols and all, but for some reason they just won't work upon insertion. I kinda want to see how it was dealt with in the Korean version, so I'll quickly look that over (I still have the Korean game.tarc, but none of the other ones).

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2016, 01:00:32 PM »
Do you think it might be that the program you're using to edit it just garbageizes the symbols upon saving, kinda like what I experienced with notepad? Not that I'm sure if there's a realistic way to get around that, what sort of program do you use? I assume you already have jp system locale, after all.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2016, 01:03:10 PM »
I use Notepad++ in Japanese locale. If I at all try to swap the encoding to, say, Shift-JIS, when reinserting the file it trashes it. The Japanese shows up completely fine when editing, oddly enough, but not-so with the Korean. Makes me wonder if I have to have a Korean language set installed or otherwise I need to do this in Korean locale. I'm just worried if I swap, then I won't be able to run the game in Japanese locale unless I, say, use LocaleSwitch or something. Which is not a problem, but I dunno what is the exact encoding problem causing this.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2016, 01:11:05 PM »
Hmm.

If the file starts in ANSI encoding then the checkbox on the right might be messing things up, (this is the program's default setting) but not bad enough to crash the game, by changing encoding to something not incompatible but still not good. That's probably the only guess I'll have though.

But yes if you aren't in korean locale the korean won't show up right :V It's not as though you're building the patch off the korean files though, are you?

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2016, 01:15:07 PM »
Oh no I'm not, I'm doing it off the original files. I mean, I can try doing what you suggested and checking if that preference is on, but I am doing that with a backup of the file I'm using. If changing the encoding breaks stuff, I'll be a little upset since that was quite a few hours put into the names alone. X_X

EDIT: Okay, the only encoding that seems to work is UCS-2 LE BOM, the encoding the files are generated with by default. I can't swap it to anything else without it saying "we can't convert this back to a .srsdb file"
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 01:21:34 PM by Validon98 »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2016, 01:17:57 PM »
Save another backup before you do anything then! :D

Backups backups backups!

The easiest thing is probably checking what encoding it's in -now-, though. If it's not "UTF-8 without BOM" then this proooobably isn't it. If it is, there's a decent chance this IS the issue.

Oh, but if you just mean "Oh, if that's the problem, the file I've made is bad now..."... well, hopefully you can just convert it back to ANSI and then it's fine.

Edit response to edit:Oh. Well, that does that, then. Time for me to do some more digging and get some characters to use!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 01:41:42 PM by Serela »

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2016, 01:42:39 PM »
I can't figure this out no matter what I do, so I'm just going to have to do the + thing. I can't even look into the Korean files to see how they did it, the encoding's pretty screwed up even in Korean locale to be basically unreadable garbage. It should be fine, it's not like using one thing instead of the other will make it any more or less understandable. It's somewhat how it's handled in Phantasmal Summoners and other games too, in terms of how resistances and the like are affected. Not a huge game-breaking problem.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2016, 01:45:40 PM »
Oh no, I've figured out what to do.

We just need some new symbols, and now that I know the encoding, I can do that! Here's a double circle for you! ʘ ...hmm. That doesn't look quite as good as I expected in this font. WELL. I've only been looking for like 15 seconds so far.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2016, 01:52:05 PM »

Well... it was an attempt?

EDIT: I've tried out a couple other symbols on my own end. None of them work, I just keep getting ?s instead. I think the way it's encoded, it's not exactly playing nice with some of the expanded Unicode characters, sooooo symbols are out.

EDIT 2:

This'll just have to work...?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 02:01:46 PM by Validon98 »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2016, 02:00:30 PM »
ߡ / △ / ▲ - Triangle weakness ~
☠ - SKULL
✕ / ✖ - Do we even need three weaknesses? It's usually triangle but you said x and skull so I GIB YOU BOTH
Օ / ◯ - Smaller circle or BEEEEEG CIRCLE. It might be -too- big. The small circle looks... normal size.
◉ / ◎ - I found a much better double circle.
☆ - empty star~
★ - filled sta٭r (this weird not-asterisk is really buggy and I seriously can't seem to get rid of it, the star is fine though)

I grabbed these right from the character set sheet for this encoding, so they REALLY SHOULD BE FUNCTIONAL
Cut:Oh. :T
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 02:05:47 PM by Serela »

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2016, 02:07:06 PM »
I think I figured it out. The font for the game is defined in a special font file, which contains the usual symbols and their corresponding Unicode (Japanese Unicode specifically). I'm wondering if I fix the font file to ensure it uses the right symbols, I can fix the font. It'll take some work, but I think it'll work out?

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2016, 02:08:51 PM »
Oh. So me blaming the font, and then deciding that I should shut my mouth and edit that out of my post, was actually correct!

Well figuring things out is always nice :D

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2016, 02:25:26 PM »
I tried to change something in the font files, reinserted the changed files, and... no dice. I dunno what to think at this point. I give up at this point, and I'm just going to go ahead with my backup. I want to get back to skill names and the like and banging my head against a problem that just won't get fixed is not helping. X_X;

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2016, 02:27:07 PM »
Yeah just don't worry about it right now.

edit:although wait, huh, if the game uses it's own font then
huh.
I recall problems with a couple other fangames where on english computers it didn't actually manage to load the game's special font unless you specifically installed the font on your system. Is it like a normal font file where you can realistically try that? (Since that'd either magically make it work next time you opened the game, or the situation hasn't changed and you can keep not caring for now)
edit again:Well, no, that'd not be it. Because the files work BEFORE you reinsert them. How peculiar.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 02:45:28 PM by Serela »

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2016, 02:49:18 PM »
It's a built-in png with .csvs. It's all defined in the style.css file, which I fiddled with a bit to go back to the font used back in DoD.

At this point I'm thinking it's a problem with converting back to a .srsdb file or something. I don't know what else to do really other than just shrug and give up.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2016, 02:51:50 PM »
Yeah. In the end it's not a big deal.