Author Topic: Undefined Fantastic Object: Enemy Unknown (Let's Play X-COM!)  (Read 50408 times)

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
Re: Undefined Fantastic Object: Enemy Unknown (Let's Play X-COM!)
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2010, 11:36:30 PM »
Hopefully these MediKits will turn down the expiry rate of the agents.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Doll.S CUBE

• I Have A New Obssession
  • ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2010, 12:26:23 AM »
Hopefully I wouldn't really need them.

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2010, 01:01:31 AM »

A routine aerial patrol had spotted a UFO over central Asia.

While it initially outran our detection range Interceptor-2 caught up with it in eastern Russia and shot it down. The Skyranger, which was already deployed on patrol, was rerouted to examine the wreckage.

The autocannon was given to Kusanagi instead of Zengar this time, and Acidus retained the use of explosives.

The transmission log did not start recording until shortly after the deployment, due to technical errors.

ANTHONY: Don't see anything out here, although it's hard to tell. There's a lot of trees, it's a bit difficult to get a visual.

DOLL SOLDIER: Zengar, Chaser, Enough and I are moving out.

DOLL SOLDIER: Anthony's got a point here, these trees are really impeding visibility.

DOLL SOLDIER: We've spotted the ship, though.

KUSANAGI: Okay. Proceed with caution.

DOLL SOLDIER: We're advancing toward the ship, using the HWP as cover.

DOLL SOLDIER: We're ready to move on the ship. Good Enough, take point.
?GOOD ENOUGH?: Got it.

?GOOD ENOUGH?: We're clear.

DOLL SOLDIER: Okay, Zengar and I will take the right side. Chaser, Good Enough, take the left.

?GOOD ENOUGH?: Indigo on the left side!

?GOOD ENOUGH?: It's down, move up!

?GOOD ENOUGH?: Cockpit looks clear so far, moving into cover.

?GOOD ENOUGH?: Indigo on the right side of the cockpit, didn't see it earlier.

?GOOD ENOUGH?: It's down, I'm back in cover until further instructions.

DOLL SOLDIER: Me and Zengar will move in on the other side.

ZENGAR: Indigo coming out of the engine room!

MADNESS CHASER: I've got this one. Didn't exactly get to kill anything last time, so...

ZENGAR: Another Indigo, I've got this one!

[END TRANSMISSION]

While what we have obtained from this mission is nowhere near as exciting as the recovery of a large craft and a live alien, we were able to retrieve this ship without any casualties on our side.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2010, 02:09:22 PM »
WHOOOOOOOOOO!  No casualties.  :3

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2010, 06:03:15 PM »

Chaore, previously known as ?Throwing Arm?, has returned from his diplomatic tour visiting representatives, as has Purvis.

Our research team has had a major breakthrough, finishing analysis of the materials recovered from the alien crafts' hulls. There are two details of particular interest to us. First, these metals can be processed into a variety of forms, meaning we can use it to manufacture armor, weapons, and vehicles with further research. Secondly, now that we have fully determined the chemical structure of the alloy, our manufacturing division can reproduce it; this will likely be unnecessary, as we have a significant stockpile at Firstlight, and the likeliness is that we will obtain more from further operations.

The research team has set to work on developing armor derived from the alien alloy, which we hope will reduce casualties in the field. Work also continues on the laser rifle and ?Elerium? projects.

Firstlight's living quarters and storage facilities have been expanded. We are taking advantage of the expanded living space to hire more research and manufacturing staff; they should arrive in a few days.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2010, 06:32:26 PM »
Awesome.  Can't wait to get that armour.

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2010, 12:40:05 AM »

We received a significant addition to our research and manufacturing staff. The engineers were assigned to the continued production of medikits. The scientists would be placed on the laser and armour projects, as well as the beginning stages of analysis into the alien craft components.

After approximately two weeks of radar silence, we detected a large craft in eastern Europe. An interceptor was sent in pursuit, but the craft lost track of it. We spotted two more craft; one of them was a routine small UFO, while one was massive; like nothing we'd ever spotted before.

We were able to shoot the small craft down over the Sea of Japan and relocate the craft we had originally spotted. However, we were unable to shoot it down.

The interceptor was ordered to break off before it went down. Our other interceptor was forced to return to base due to low fuel. Both remaining craft escaped, disappearing from detection range.

Despite our failure to completely stop the alien activity in their airspace, Russia and Japan were satisfied with our attempts and have agreed to provide additional funding for March.

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2010, 11:05:07 PM »

Only a few hours after March began, we spotted yet another UFO, which had landed in Central Asia. With the Skyranger still refueling from its aerial patrol and one interceptor heavily damaged, we only had Interceptor-2 available to pursue it. It did a flyover of where the UFO had landed, but due to the yields of our missiles, we are not allowed to make air-to-ground attacks. Instead, we maintained a patrol of the area. We hoped the UFO would take off again before Interceptor-2 ran out of fuel.

Our hopes were quickly answered.

The Skyranger would be sent a few hours later as dawn broke.

KUSANAGI: Ready to deploy. Anthony, deploy the HWP.

ANTHONY: I've spotted the ship and two Grays, opening fire.

ANTHONY: We've got a problem. I clearly hit two Grays, but I'm only seeing one body here. Couldn't have blown it away entirely, its weapon's still here.

ANTHONY: We've got another Gray off to the side here.

ANTHONY: ?Good Enough? and ?Mr. Average? are moving toward the ship behind the HWP, I'm sending it to scout ahead.

?MR. AVERAGE?: We're ready to move in on the ship.
KUSANAGI: Confirmed.

?MR. AVERAGE?: There's pretty much nothing left of the ship's interior here... there's an unarmed Gray here, I'm using the stun rod.

ANTHONY: We've got a Gray around the corner of this building.

ANTHONY: First shot went off course.

ANTHONY: Gray's firing on the HWP... some minor damage to the armor and targeting systems, but it should still work. I'm backing up until it's rearmed... okay, firing again.

ANTHONY: Target down.

[END TRANSMISSION]

This mission went extraordinarily well. In addition to no casualties, we were able to recover another live alien specimen, this time of a Gray. While it's a minor disappointment that there wasn't more of the ship to salvage, we already have enough components to analyze as it stands.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2010, 11:58:07 PM »
Have we any idea what the craft that escaped were up to?

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2010, 11:59:33 PM »
Why the hell did I not read this before

X-Com is one awesome game

Good work chap many people try to LP X-Com but I've only seen a handful that are actually worth their salt

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2010, 12:08:20 AM »
Have we any idea what the craft that escaped were up to?
Unfortunately, not as of yet. Our scientists are working on finding a way to communicate with the live aliens we have captured; they speculate we may be able to get valuable intelligence from them, such as information on the alien species we have encountered, their craft, and their activities on Earth.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2010, 01:55:41 AM »
How're the various research subjects coming?

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2010, 03:08:28 AM »
How're the various research subjects coming?
No major progress has been made on the analysis of the "Elerium" or the development on the laser rifle, and research of the UFO components is going extremely slowly due to a lack of staff. However, the armor research appears to be making significant progress, and should hopefully be done by halfway through March.

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2010, 07:46:43 PM »
The active duty roster has been rotated again. Purvis has returned to active duty, and is again leading operations. I believe he said something about ?pecking order? to Kusanagi, but I can't be sure. Other rotations have also been made.

It's starting to become apparent that alien activity has extended beyond Firstlight's range, so we have started construction on a new base.

Construction on the intercept base ?Pacific Eye? has begun on the Korean peninsula. Work crews are currently assembling a hangar and storage facilities there; we do not expect that it will reach full operational capacity for at least a month.

R&D informs us they've finished work on a rifle variant of the laser; it should be more powerful and more accurate than the both our conventional rifles and the laser pistols.

Further, we're told that the research team has plans for a larger variant of the laser. A small team has been assigned to investigating this; other staff have been assigned to the ?Elerium? analysis and continued work on armor development.

Manufacturing of the laser rifles has commenced, and the order should be completed in less than two weeks.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2010, 07:48:52 PM »
Aw yeah.  We're getting better stuff soon.  :3

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2010, 08:13:27 PM »
Laser Rifles. Delicious~

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2010, 06:44:30 PM »

The research division informs us they've completed work on the advanced body armor that has been under development for the past few weeks.

While nowhere as resilient as the armor used in our heavy weapons platforms, the personal armor is lightweight and unobtrusive, and should help reduce casualties. Our scientists also noted that ?that metallic blue looks really nifty?. With several researchers freed up from the completion of the armor project, work has now begun on reverse-engineering of alien weapons andequipment we have recovered over the past few months.

We have begun manufacturing of this armor; it requires some alloy to produce, but we have a large stockpile. Some engineers have been transferred from the development of laser rifles to make armor; it will take significant time for either order to be finished. We are hiring additional staff to speed up production and get the new armor and weapons into service as soon as possible.

The interceptor that was damaged at the end of February has been repaired and returned to service. We are considering transferring it to Pacific Watch once a hangar becomes available for use there.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2010, 07:02:14 PM »
Sweetness.  Everything seems to be going pretty well right now.

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2010, 07:58:37 PM »

The additional engineering staff arrived a short while ago; all of them have been assigned to the armor project. Without additional workspace or living quarters, it is unlikely we will be able to increase our staffing levels for manufacturing projects much further.

One of our interceptors on patrol spotted a large ship over central Asia, but it would evade tracking.

We'd soon find out where it had gone.

We never wanted this to happen, but at the same time, we're surprised it took so long. An alien force has landed in a populated area and launched a direct assault on civilians.

Our best available personnel available have been deployed. This attack came so soon, and the manufacturing division has only completed five laser rifles and two sets of armor of the requested sixteen. The armor has been given to Kusanagi and Chaore, who will direct combat operations once we arrive at the site. The laser rifles will be assigned once we have arrived in the field.

The entire world will be watching us at Novosibirsk, and watching our performance. If we succeed, we will obtain increased public support, along with further funding and resources. If we fail, our backers may reconsider the X-COM initiative and withdraw, leaving humanity at the mercy of unknown forces.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2010, 10:39:26 PM »
Shit just got real. Strife!

Chaore

« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2010, 10:46:52 PM »
Let's do this thang.

ES-Anthy

• *Roll*
  • *fwump*
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
LETS SHOW THEM THE POWER OF EARTH!

And by that, I mean the barrel of the cannon on my tank HWP

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2010, 11:48:03 PM »
Oh damn.  It is so on you wish it wasn't so on.

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2010, 12:55:52 AM »

PURVIS: Firstlight, this is Captain Purvis. We've arrived in Novosibirsk, we're ready to deploy.

ANTHONY: We've got an Indigo outside.
PURVIS: Fire with extreme caution, we can't risk hitting civilians.

ANTHONY: Another Indigo spotted across the road here.

CHAORE: Moving out to take the shot.

CHAORE: Nailed it. These new laser rifles are incredible. Rest of the street looks clear.

PURVIS: We've spotted an Indigo off to the side here.

CHAORE: We've got a Bull down the street here.

ANTHONY: See a crater off in the distance. Looks like an Indigo tried to use an explosive and blew itself up.

CHAORE: Bull is down.

DOLL SOLDIER: I've got the Indigo.

DOLL SOLDIER: Chaore's definitely right about the laser rifles.

ANTHONY: There's another Bull here, looks like I can hit it without too much collateral damage.

ANTHONY: Shot just hit the HWP from the side... nothing major, just a few paint scratches. Checking it out.

ANTHONY: It's another Indigo. I don't think I can safely hit it.

ZENGAR: I'll take the shot.

ZENGAR: Indigo is down.

PURVIS: We've spotted another Bull on the far end here.

PURVIS: Got it.

ANTHONY: There's an Indigo on the other end of the street.

PURVIS: Got this one too.

CHAORE: I've spotted another Bull, bringing it down.

ANTHONY: There's two bodies here, sending the HWP to search the area.

ANTHONY: There's still someone alive here!

ANTHONY: No...

ANTHONY: Indigo spotted!

ANTHONY: DAMN IT! A civilian's in the way, but if I don't fire...

ANTHONY: Forgive me... oh God, I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry...

PURVIS: It looks like there's one more Indigo here.

PURVIS: Careful with your shots, we can't risk setting off the gas tanks.

PURVIS: Okay, that should be the last of them.

[END TRANSMISSION]

This mission went very well. While we were unable to completely stop civilian casualties from the attack, we were able to repel the aliens and contain the damage to a small portion of the city, without any casualties to our own side. However, this was not a flawless operation. We have received heavy criticism from the media for a collateral death caused by use of an HWP. Early reports we have received from the site state that Anthony, our remote operator, was acting in good faith; however, we have decided to temporarily remove him from duty for counseling.

We still do not know the purpose of the attack on Novosibirsk, and it is unlikely we will find out soon. We can only hope that further attacks of this nature do not happen soon.

Chaore

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2010, 04:22:21 AM »
Ouch. Damn media, he was in the way!

Guess that means we're not getting that massive media support, then?

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2010, 09:10:45 AM »
Fuck the media, it's the money what we need. Maybe we'll get sweet laser sniper rifles to avoid all collateral damage later on?

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2010, 01:38:23 PM »
Well at least the operation was successful in stopping the aliens.

ES-Anthy

• *Roll*
  • *fwump*
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2010, 04:02:26 PM »
Hooray.jpeg I'm gonna be traumatized for live :VV:

Either that or I'll just get more pissed off and start killing more aliens, either way works.

Doll.S CUBE

• I Have A New Obssession
  • ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2010, 08:57:11 PM »
Aww, didn't get to do anything, oh well at least the mission was a success.

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2010, 10:37:25 PM »

Zengar, Doll Soldier, and Kusanagi have been deployed to every ground mission that has been carried out by X-COM so far. It's been decided to temporarily rotate them out of active duty.

...we've received unfortunate news about Pacific Watch. An alien ship attacked the base, which was still under construction. With no armed personnel to defend the facility, it was quickly destroyed. We are currently considering that this a retaliatory strike for our defeat of the aliens at Novosibirsk.

One of our aerial patrols has spotted some sort of alien outpost in the Philippines. We now believe the large spike in alien activity at the end of February was for the purpose of establishing this base. It is unlikely we are prepared for a direct assault on the aliens at this point, but leaving something like this unchecked could have severe political consequences for the organization. We will wait until the manufacturing of armor and laser rifles is completed, and then deploy.