Author Topic: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 5  (Read 99440 times)

Re: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 5
« Reply #570 on: July 21, 2017, 06:33:17 AM »
>Rin and Lily went on ahead with another miko and a Brightblood. Youmu wanted to talk to me in private. She... she sensed my true identity, despite this form. Something to do with her ghost half and her familiarity with me.

>Whoa, wait a minute. Reisen starts, halting abruptly. She did what?

« Reply #571 on: July 21, 2017, 06:53:23 AM »
>Yes, she asked me directly 'Are you Byakuren Hijiri?' She did not seem to be completely certain, but... I could not bring myself to lie to her face. And as head miko of this shrine, she has already been in the business of keeping supernatural goings-on under wraps, so I believe she can be trusted not to spread this around. We didn't finish speaking before you showed up, though.
>I did not tell her anyone else's identity, incidentally.

« Reply #572 on: July 21, 2017, 06:59:14 AM »
>Yes, she asked me directly 'Are you Byakuren Hijiri?' She did not seem to be completely certain, but... I could not bring myself to lie to her face. And as head miko of this shrine, she has already been in the business of keeping supernatural goings-on under wraps, so I believe she can be trusted not to spread this around. We didn't finish speaking before you showed up, though.
>I did not tell her anyone else's identity, incidentally.

>Then all our identities could be compromised? If she could see through your glamor, she may be able to do the same to the rest of us.

« Reply #573 on: July 21, 2017, 07:14:04 AM »
>It's very possible, I admit. I do think it required having a fair bit of familiarity with me, though.
>How much more familiar do you think we were with each other than Youmu was with the others?

« Reply #574 on: July 21, 2017, 07:25:25 AM »
>How much more familiar do you think we were with each other than Youmu was with the others?

>If you had to guess, you would say that Youmu was more familiar with you than the other three she saw you with today. She's definately seen Lily and Minoriko around school, but you've never personally witnessed them interacting beyond a nod in the hallway or similar instances. She has spoken with Rin, but you think the two of them are more acquaintences than anything more. Youmu seemed to treat Rin with the same sort of politeness that she addresses just about everyone other than Yuyuko.

>It's very possible, I admit. I do think it required having a fair bit of familiarity with me, though.

>Reisen sighs and lowers her head. She seems to think for a moment, her ears drooping slightly, then straightens to look you in the eye. If you want, Mistress, I could try to get her to forget.

« Reply #575 on: July 21, 2017, 07:32:05 AM »
>Do you really think that's necessary here? She's an ally and accustomed to keeping things related to the supernatural threats secret.

« Reply #576 on: July 21, 2017, 07:36:50 AM »
>Do you really think that's necessary here? She's an ally and accustomed to keeping things related to the supernatural threats secret.

>I don't know if it's necessary. she admits. I just know you needed to know it was an option. I'm not even sure I CAN. I've never tried to hypnotize a half-ghost before. But if you wanted to ensure your secret, and for that matter our secret identities, then I will try.

« Reply #577 on: July 21, 2017, 02:53:40 PM »
>I'll keep it in mind for the future.

« Reply #578 on: July 22, 2017, 05:16:22 AM »
>I'll keep it in mind for the future.

>All right. Reaching the door, Reisen pauses again. I'm not saying I like the idea, but you're my owner now. You need to know when you have options available. I'm still a new resource for you.
>The room on the other side of the large wood double door is much larger than you were expecting, and has the appearance of an arena moreso than a dojo of some kind. It is more than a dozen fathoms across, its walls lined with benches. Spectator stands, really, enough to accomodate around a hundred people, give or take. There's only a few people in the stands right now. Most are either on the arena floor or in the air above it. But it's the tingling magic sensation that draws your attention before noting any of the people in the room with any detail. You appear to have entered into a magical barrier of some kind, one that was undetectable from the outside.

« Reply #579 on: July 22, 2017, 05:22:18 AM »
>What can we tell about this barrier? Is it just to conceal any power unleashed within?

« Reply #580 on: July 22, 2017, 05:31:09 AM »
>What can we tell about this barrier? Is it just to conceal any power unleashed within?

>That's part of it, but not the whole story. There's more to it than that. This is a very well made barrier, and fairly complex. There's something like... you're not sure the words for it, but something inherantly non-lethal about its power. Something that restrains without really restraining. There's nothing holding your power back, you're sure of that, but you suspect that when you use your power, it will be lacking some if not all of its inherant lethality. Well, yours always did, but for other people who rely on more run of the mill types of sorcery, there's only so much you can do to make fireball less lethal. Your theory is that this field not only serves to keep the mikos' magical training a secret from outsiders, but also to ensure the miko's safety while they're training. Observation of other's practice, and there are a couple of practices going on, could confirm this.
>But the former point leads to something of another mystery as well, as you're familiar enough with the miko's magic to recognize that there's more than that involved with this barrier. They had to have received help from at least one outside source, possibly more. Who that was, you can't tell.

« Reply #581 on: July 22, 2017, 05:35:24 AM »
>To Youmu: "This barrier... makes magic used inside it less dangerous, doesn't it?"

« Reply #582 on: July 22, 2017, 05:51:48 AM »
>To Youmu: "This barrier... makes magic used inside it less dangerous, doesn't it?"

>The temple head nods. "You noticed. Impressive. That's part of its purpose, yes. It gives us the ability to employ our spells and weapons to the best of our ability without worrying about inflicting serious harm upon each other. The worst one could suffer here is some exhaustion from pressing too hard or taking too much damage, and possible some damage to ones' clothes. So far as we know, it works on all forms of magic. Of course, I would prefer to try your particular kind of magic at something less than full power before making the assumption it will work as well on yours."

« Reply #583 on: July 22, 2017, 05:55:21 AM »
>"Of course, though my magic is typically non-lethal in the first place."

« Reply #584 on: July 22, 2017, 06:09:31 AM »
>"Of course, though my magic is typically non-lethal in the first place."

>"Mine isn't." says Poppy. "I might make a better test subject."
>Youmu winces. "That's a harsh way to put it."
>"Sorry. I didn't mean it that way. I just meant that since my magic can be more lethal than my leaders', I would make a better person to test this barrier, to see if it affects my power as its designed. With your permission, Lotus." she adds as the messy biker wanders off.

« Reply #585 on: July 22, 2017, 06:12:37 AM »
>"Of course. I trust you to be as gentle as necessary to be safe."

« Reply #586 on: July 22, 2017, 06:58:39 AM »
>"Of course. I trust you to be as gentle as necessary to be safe."

>"Thank you. Now, I will need someone to practice with."
>"You have one." Youmu states clearly. "Me."
>"You?" Reisen blurts before collecting herself. "Very well, if that's how you wish. Um, you said weapons as well?"
>"Yes, including your sword. But if the goal of this is to test your magic, then how will using your sword help?"
>"My sword is manifested by my magic. Like this. Saber Blade!" she calls, manifesting the sword amid a burst of light. "If this barrier works on my sword, it will work on Lotus's spells. Also, it can do this." Reisen gives Youmu little in the way of further warning before, slower than normal, points the weapon at the temple head and fires burst of light at her. The blast, carefully aimed, catches Youmu on her left forearm and she yelps in surprise.
>"Are you alright?" Reisen asks, her sword lowering.
>"It seems I am." Youmu assures her, raising her arm. The sleeve of her robe is slightly damaged, but she appears to be in no pain and has no trouble moving her arm. "I believe the barrier works on your power just as it should. Would you care to test it yourself, Lotus?"

« Reply #587 on: July 22, 2017, 07:09:30 AM »
>"Shoot you, you mean?"
>Assuming she says yes, let's hit her with a Scarlet Lotus - gentle at first, but if things seem okay, let's give it a little more juice

« Reply #588 on: July 22, 2017, 07:25:36 AM »
>"Shoot you, you mean?"
>Assuming she says yes, let's hit her with a Scarlet Lotus - gentle at first, but if things seem okay, let's give it a little more juice

>"Unless you have a weapon of some you'd rather test, like your companion here?" she asks.

« Reply #589 on: July 22, 2017, 07:27:31 AM »
>"This scepter is all the weapon I have."

« Reply #590 on: July 22, 2017, 07:30:54 AM »
>"This scepter is all the weapon I have."

>"Then unless you'd rather hit me with it, fire away."

« Reply #591 on: July 22, 2017, 07:31:47 AM »
>Okay, then. Let's give her a Scarlet Lotus.

« Reply #592 on: July 22, 2017, 07:45:17 AM »
>Okay, then. Let's give her a Scarlet Lotus.

>Having settled on your choice of attack, you point your scepter at Youmu and, as you did with Komachi days before, deploy you magic in a test against one of your allies. The shotgun like busts of red and white light that pop against the miko's body are more intense than you'd estimated, and it is now that you realize that you have experienced another jump in power level, a fairly noticable one this time. Youmu staggers backwards, seeming to have to work to stay on her feet, and you decide to arrest your fire for now rather than recalculate on the fly.
>To her credit, Youmu stayed upright. And just as you saw with Reisen's attack, the miko appears physically unharmed. There are no bruises or marks upon her skin that you can see. And you can see a fair bit more of it now that you could before. Reisen's shot put a small in her the sleeve of her robe. Your unexpectedly powerful attack did... a fair bit more damage to her outfit.

« Reply #593 on: July 22, 2017, 07:52:11 AM »
>How much more?

« Reply #594 on: July 22, 2017, 10:16:47 AM »
>How much more?

>Not total devastation, enough to cause more than a little embarassment. For instance, you now know that she isn't quite as flat as her clothes might have indicated. She's been binding her breasts. Said bindings remain intact, as do her panties, and while neither of them are fully on display, anyone looking her way will get a nice view. It IS a nice view, too.

« Reply #595 on: July 22, 2017, 03:51:36 PM »
>"Um. My apologies."

« Reply #596 on: July 23, 2017, 02:21:26 AM »
>"Um. My apologies."

>Youmu's expression fluctuates between consternation, surprise and embarrassment, before she finally settles on putting on a brave face. Which would be more effective if she wasn't blushing slightly. "That... just means the barrier is working." she says, trying very hard not to sound like she's trying very hard not to be embarrassed. "Excuse me, please." she finishes before turning and heading away from you.
>She looks just as cute going as coming.

« Reply #597 on: July 23, 2017, 03:12:35 AM »
>Spare a sheepish smile with Poppy, then let's go catch up with the others

« Reply #598 on: July 23, 2017, 05:52:10 AM »
>Spare a sheepish smile with Poppy, then let's go catch up with the others

>Reisen does not return your look right away. She seems a bit distracted by the retreating shrine maiden. Not entirely puzzling, that. But after Youmu ducks into a side room, of which there seem to be a few of in this sizable room, Reisen glances your way, the hint of a grin on her face. Until she sees the smile on your face, at which point she flushes slightly and glances down. You stifle a laugh. This could be a very interesting day indeed.
>No longer distracted by half-ghost booty, you have more chance to take in the sights of this room and the people therein. You see that Kiku is already here, in her guise as Magical Chrysanthemum, and that's a puzzler. There's no way Youmu could be less familiar with Kiku than she is with you. If she was able to sense your identity, you can't imagine her being unable to sense Kiku's. Then again if she had, Kiku probably would have warned you about Youmu's ability. The likelier option is that the two haven't met personally since Kiku began her double life. Well, triple, if you consider the magical aspect of the miko's lives to be a double life.
>Lily is presently outside your normal range, flitting through the air, evidently having a game of aerial tag with a trio of smaller shrine maidens, two of which are fairies. The other two members of your group, Pink Carnation and White Rose, are currently standing with Haruka, two other mikos, including the loud one who accompanied her to the meeting at the police station, and a rather tall man who seems vaguely familiar. As you approach the group, your memory clicks. The tall man is Kenyu Hiroichi, star firefighter here in Mayoiga. He's a local hero, just recently having been on the news for saving a group of children from a burning orphanage, leaving one of his shorter-than average horns broken and a faint scar on his forehead. As for what he's doing here, you're not sure at this point.
>"Magical Lotus." Haruka calls out to you. "Glad to see you again."

« Reply #599 on: July 23, 2017, 06:01:03 AM »
>"Likewise."
>Approach