Author Topic: The Legend of Hieda III: Esteemed Companion  (Read 44670 times)

Re: The Legend of Hieda III: Esteemed Companion
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2013, 10:28:29 AM »
> Oh man, if she's set loose on the market, the gettin's will be juicy.
> "Lady, lady, they've got all those things over here."
> Tug a sleeve.

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2013, 11:21:32 AM »
> Oh man, if she's set loose on the market, the gettin's will be juicy.
> "Lady, lady, they've got all those things over here."
> Tug a sleeve.

> Maybe you should not have touched her. In the instant you touch her, the world loses all colour, and
> WHEN IS THE LAST TIME YOU HAVE SUFFERED?
> and you feel glass breaking underfoot
> TRULY SUFFERED, SUCH THAT SUFFERING DEFINED YOU?
> and your hand recoils, as if from a flame, and you finally give in to the urge to look down, but the colour has come back and there are only cobblestones there.
> The brief dizziness wears off, and your head clears. Like an ache from being struck, all that remains from the moment is a question.
> What is the Anguish Engine?
> The weird ocean lady is now looking at you. Of all things, she looks lost, like a pet left at the side of the road.
> "I... I have no name. I have been called Dream-Child, Esteemed Companion. Everywhere I walk I step on broken stories and dreams, and the ones I put back together are too weak for lack of suffering. And now there is a jumble of meaningless commands in my head and I do not know what to do."
> You've seen this sort of thing before. Not this exactly, but it's close enough: she looks like she's cursed up to her eyeballs. You know someone up at one of the shrines who deals with that sort of thing.
> But first things first. Esteemed Companion is a dumb name. So is Dream-Child. Archaic as all get out, as well. Let's see if you can simplify it to something reasonable.

« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2013, 08:27:42 AM »
I'm amused by the possible nickname of EC/DC, but I really don't have much of a preference.

> What nickname conventions are popular now?

Fightest

« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2013, 04:19:29 PM »
> What nickname conventions are popular now?

> Simplification of archaic names has come up in baby fashion recently.
> That would make weird ocean lady Reimu Hakurei.

« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2013, 07:14:32 AM »
You're too good at this.  Never would have thought of the Fantasy Heaven link.

> "Dream Chil- er, Esteemed what? That'd make-chu a... Rei-mu, er, Hakurei, I think?"

Fightest

« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2013, 11:21:09 AM »
> "Dream Chil- er, Esteemed what? That'd make-chu a... Rei-mu, er, Hakurei, I think?"

> She looks at you blankly.
> "So easily giving me a name," she says quietly, "but it sounds...correct. What is yours?"
> After all that you can't just go and tell her the, frankly, frustrating name you were born with. You add your long-abandoned family name, do some mental gymnastics and end up with

> You are now Reimu Hakurei.
> "Marisa ... Kiri, uh, sah-meh. Kirisame!" the sun-haired girl says, stumbling over some of the syllables.
> Burn the effigy, Pull the rope flashes briefly in your mind.

> You are Marisa Kirisame again.
> "Kirisame," Reimu Hakurei repeats, slowly. "Hakurei. Kirisame. Burn the effigy, pull the rope?"
> She is starting to mutter again.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 11:23:39 AM by Fightest »

« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2013, 08:23:39 AM »
> "Er, before ya get sidetracked again, you seem new, and there's somewhere I wanna show ya. To get-cher bearings."

Fightest

« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2013, 11:41:18 AM »
> "Er, before ya get sidetracked again, you seem new, and there's somewhere I wanna show ya. To get-cher bearings."

> She seems to snap out of it.
> "Alright, lead the way, Kirisame."
> It is just as well, a bit of a crowd of gawkers is starting to form.

« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2013, 03:22:52 AM »
> Lead her to the market.

Fightest

« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2013, 11:02:27 AM »
> Through side streets, down alleys, cross a disused lot and now you are back at the market, where the morning trade has picked up fully and noises and smells come from every direction. Reimu Hakurei shows no curiosity, absorbed in her strange five-beat thoughts.

Fightest

« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2013, 09:50:50 AM »
> She should attract enough attention here. As the crowd swells, you slip away from her and make way to a vantage point. You spy her, standing there every so often. It is as if whatever curse holds her has taken away all her impetus. She will live out her life, but it will be an empty existence, locked in whatever thought-loops torment her. It is a shame, she looks a decent enough sort.
> Soon enough, Reimu Hakurei returns to muttering and, once again, passers-by start rubbernecking, altering the flow of the crowd. You have made your opportunity to swipe some valuables.

Fightest's note: To those still reading: I am very curious, what was it about Her Mother's Sword that encouraged your participation? I do understand plenty of readers are comfortable enough just following along the story, with one or two making inputs, but I got more participation in HMS than typical.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2013, 12:05:46 AM »
> She should attract enough attention here. As the crowd swells, you slip away from her and make way to a vantage point. You spy her, standing there every so often. It is as if whatever curse holds her has taken away all her impetus. She will live out her life, but it will be an empty existence, locked in whatever thought-loops torment her. It is a shame, she looks a decent enough sort.
> Soon enough, Reimu Hakurei returns to muttering and, once again, passers-by start rubbernecking, altering the flow of the crowd. You have made your opportunity to swipe some valuables.

Fightest's note: To those still reading: I am very curious, what was it about Her Mother's Sword that encouraged your participation? I do understand plenty of readers are comfortable enough just following along the story, with one or two making inputs, but I got more participation in HMS than typical.
>Commence to swiping, but try to keep an eye on Reimu Hakurei.  She seems nice enough, and it'd be quite sad for her to be stuck this way.  Of course, we have to get some loot after all of our work to set this up, so she can probably stand to wait a short while longer.

re: Fighest's note
I think the fact that HMS was highly action-based, while Esteemed Companion is decidedly less so at present, might have had an effect. I personally wouldn't want you to change things to something outside your plans too much(I still feel kinda bad for how much you had to do to get people back on track in the story following Akyu, though I joined after it was already at the final phase), but injecting more action and stuff might generate more activity.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2013, 04:12:51 AM »
> How much do we know about the shrine that deals with curses?

Fightest

« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2013, 09:39:24 AM »
> How much do we know about the shrine that deals with curses?

> It is not so much the shrine as one of the spirits that inhabits it. A small wandering god called Key And Mountain took up residence there a while back and has become very popular with the poor and destitute by taking some of their suffering upon herself every so often. She has occasionally done the same with curses.

>Commence to swiping, but try to keep an eye on Reimu Hakurei.  She seems nice enough, and it'd be quite sad for her to be stuck this way.  Of course, we have to get some loot after all of our work to set this up, so she can probably stand to wait a short while longer.

> Opportunities abound! With this much attention drawn away, you go for quantity over quality and soon have a sack near-overflowing with all sorts of loot from the market stalls. Just in time, as well - there is a small, hooded figure with crow's legs tugging at your shirt.
> "You, thief. The Dream-Child needs your help. Now."

« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2013, 12:25:18 PM »
>"Hey, I'm not stealing, just borrowing it until I die, they can have it back when I am dead!"
>Return to previous vantage point and see if we can catch a glimpse of Reimu.
>Inventory
>Abilities

RE: Fightest's note
I just like the fact that your series of games makes people think, your unusual style of storytelling is a plus too.

Fightest

« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2013, 03:14:58 PM »
>"Hey, I'm not stealing, just borrowing it until I die, they can have it back when I am dead!"

> The hooded figure looks up at you and you catch a steely glint off a dark eye.
> "Your demise is the last thing you will find yourself concerned about soon. Now hurry."

>Return to previous vantage point and see if we can catch a glimpse of Reimu.

> On the same spot where you left her, she is kneeling on the ground, clutching at her head. The crowd is giving her a wide berth.

>Inventory

> Your sack is full of stuff! You have no idea what any of it is, you snatched without looking for the most part. You will need time to sort through it all.
> Otherwise you're wearing comfortable street clothes, quite ragged from exuberant overuse.

>Abilities

> You are pretty good at snatching stuff. You are well-acquainted with just about every settlement on the island, but not much beyond.

« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2013, 09:24:22 AM »
>Go towards Reimu and help her up.
>"Whats wrong, Reimu?"

« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2013, 01:45:43 AM »
> Foist bag o'goods on Reimu. Drag by hand away from market.
> "C'mon. We're going."

Fightest

« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2013, 09:03:31 AM »
>Go towards Reimu and help her up.
>"Whats wrong, Reimu?"

> It is like it was back then. Glass underfoot. The sound of knives. Don't look down.
> And a terrible wind, blowing away the world's colour, with Reimu at the centre.
> "How can there be so much and nobody notices?" she says, her eyes darting, "burn the effigy, throw the spear-"

> Foist bag o'goods on Reimu. Drag by hand away from market.
> "C'mon. We're going."

> The closer you get to her, the worse the terrible wind gets, and you feel it rushing through you and it begins to change you.
> Young adventurer. Replaced. Now orphaned as a child.
> You grit your teeth and toss the sack into Reimu's arms. You catch her attention.
> Friendly and outgoing. Replaced. Now dependent and aggressive.
> Your vision blurry, you grab her hand. Your grip is far stronger than it needs to be, and you know your fingers are digging into her skin, but the contact keeps you real.
> Part-time thief. Replaced. Now compulsive kleptomaniac.
> You realise your vision is blurred from the tears. Yet you keep going, no longer with a proper destination in mind, just keep moving, keep moving, and the wind follows you.

> Time passes.

> The sharp sting of cold water wakes you up and it is all around you and rushing into your mouth and you thrash around and hit your ankle on a rock and finally come to your senses.
> You, Marisa, are still you. But it is so cold being you, and you do not know if it is the water or something deeper.
> You reorient yourself and stand up. The water comes up to your waist. You are in a pool of mountain water, caused to form by a hand-built dam of rocks that redirects flow from a little river nearby. All around is forest, but through the trees you can make out the colours of shrine buildings. Reimu is sitting in the pool across from you, her eyes unfocused. Both of you are undressed.
> "Get back in the water," a voice says from behind you, "I am about to start."
> You recognise the voice - it is Key and Mountain. You must have made it to the shrine, after all.

« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2013, 06:15:40 PM »
> Did we get here in a da ze'?
>Examine Key and Mountain.

Fightest

« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2013, 08:05:49 PM »
> Did we get here in a da ze'?
>Examine Key and Mountain.

> You'll be getting around in a body bag if you keep that up, bub.
> Key and Mountain approaches the pool. She is also undressed, her brilliant-green hair tied up tight with red and white ribbon. Despite her stern expression, the kindness in her eyes is unmistakeable.
> "Forgive me for setting up the rite without permission," she says, getting into the pool and standing at its centre. "Steel yourself. Do not be afraid. There is still some love left in the world."
> And a wondrous golden glow comes from her, surrounding her and the pool and bathing you in its light, and it is like being amongst the closest of friends, like a warm fire after a long day, like a wound healed and like a job well done.
> Key and Mountain starts slowly turning on the spot, around and around, and the water soon begins to circle with her.
> And, as if drawn by the current, a terrible nausea comes in waves, up, up, and you feel something on your face, and you bring up your hand to wipe it off and it comes away black and oily and glistening.
> And you choke and convulse as blackness pours from your mouth and you are blinded and deafened as it pours from your eyes and ears and it keeps coming, for so long, all this envy and disgust and scorn and suffering.
> How can there be so much?
> And with a cough and a sputter you bring up the last of it and blink your eyes free and see the pool now utterly black and filthy.
> And Key and Mountain continues to turn, bringing it all towards her, letting it seep into her, her body spasming every few steps but still she continues to turn.
> But the pool remains black.
> "There...there is too much," says Key and Mountain through the filth in her mouth. "How can there be so much? I cannot take it all! Burn the effigy. Burn the effigy! Take some of her hair and burn the effigy!"

Jq1790

« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2013, 11:37:03 PM »
>"Effigy of WHAT!?  Of her?  Do I need something else alongside her hair?"
>Try to figure out what nearby we can use to burn things while awaiting Key and Mountain's reply

Fightest

« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2013, 07:05:11 AM »
>"Effigy of WHAT!?  Of her?  Do I need something else alongside her hair?"
>Try to figure out what nearby we can use to burn things while awaiting Key and Mountain's reply

> "Of her! Of her! A doll, a moppet, her hair will do, just burn, burn it!"
> You are quite literally naked, but there might be some materials in the shrine.

Fightest's note: Sorry about the big delays, but there is a bit of a thing happening tomorrow and my mind is thoroughly fixed on that. I'll talk all about it this weekend.

Jq1790

« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2013, 07:19:39 PM »
> "Of her! Of her! A doll, a moppet, her hair will do, just burn, burn it!"
> You are quite literally naked, but there might be some materials in the shrine.
>"Sorry, Reimu, but I'm going to be stealing this!"
>Swiftly yank out a couple hairs and fashion a doll as best we can out of them, then bolt for the shrine to find some way to get this thing burnt!

Fightest's note: Sorry about the big delays, but there is a bit of a thing happening tomorrow and my mind is thoroughly fixed on that. I'll talk all about it this weekend.
Not a problem.  Gotta put things in priority!  We'll still be here when you get back.

Fightest

« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2013, 08:02:55 PM »
>"Sorry, Reimu, but I'm going to be stealing this!"
>Swiftly yank out a couple hairs and fashion a doll as best we can out of them, then bolt for the shrine to find some way to get this thing burnt!

> Some of her hair comes out in a clump. It's an unruly mess, and making a doll out of it is out of the question. You will need something to serve as a frame.
> You run in the direction of the shrine, dense brush whipping against your bare skin.
> The shrine is a small thing, worn and old, with some maintenance here and there to suggest that it is still in use, if infrequently. It is barely a few walls with a roof, with some space inside for a statue of some saint you do not know and a few charms here and there. At the foot of the statue is a small pot of coals, where incense burns.

Fightest

« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2013, 08:38:24 PM »
Fightest's note: god what day is it

> There must be something, something. You rummage around the shrine, and there! A paper cutout resembling a human figure, probably for some ritual function.
> You wind the hair around the piece of paper and without a second thought plunge it into the coals.
> And sounds come like voices, and you remember things that ought not happen
> The great spider weaves its curses like webs from silk of suffering and threads of anguish but you are prepared and the curse burns away in fire and smoke
> And the vision passes, and your nose is filled with the stench of burning hair.

Jq1790

« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2013, 01:58:09 AM »
Ah, sorry for not having added more, I was just trying to give others a chance to do stuff.  Guess I should be more active then.

>Leave the shrine, check status of Reimu and Key and Mountain.
>>If they're fine, set about finding clothes, preferably our own.

Fightest

« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2013, 09:29:46 AM »
>Leave the shrine, check status of Reimu and Key and Mountain.
>>If they're fine, set about finding clothes, preferably our own.

> By the time you get to the stream and the pool, Key and Mountain is dragging Reimu out of the water. The rock dam that had been letting the pool form had been broken open, and the black water was quickly seeping out into the stream.
> "Oh, thank Heaven you succeeded. Two lives we owe you today," says Key and Mountain.
> Off to the right you spot your clothes neatly hanging off a branch.

Jq1790

« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2013, 03:48:29 AM »
> By the time you get to the stream and the pool, Key and Mountain is dragging Reimu out of the water. The rock dam that had been letting the pool form had been broken open, and the black water was quickly seeping out into the stream.
> "Oh, thank Heaven you succeeded. Two lives we owe you today," says Key and Mountain.
> Off to the right you spot your clothes neatly hanging off a branch.
>"Hey, after you sucked that oily crap outta me it was the least I could do.  What the heck WAS it, anyway?  All I know's it made me feel terrible when it was coming out."
>Reclothe ourself as we speak.
>After this, see if Reimu's ok once she's done being dragged out.

Fightest

« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2013, 09:10:43 AM »
>"Hey, after you sucked that oily crap outta me it was the least I could do.  What the heck WAS it, anyway?  All I know's it made me feel terrible when it was coming out."
>Reclothe ourself as we speak.
>After this, see if Reimu's ok once she's done being dragged out.

> Key and Mountain finishes lugging Reimu out of the pool, wraps her in a linen cloth and props her up against a tree.
> "I can draw a curse out of a person and break it within myself. In normal circumstances, there is nothing to be seen in such a ritual... but here, the curse was so strong as to... well, you saw it. Felt it. A black tar of the worst in man. This is something far over our heads."
> You hear a noise from Reimu's direction, looks like she is coming to.
>

> You are now Reimu.
> And everything is so vivid. The light burns your eyes, and the sounds of the world mix and muddle in your ears and you can barely make out what the girl with green hair is telling you as she speaks slowly and carefully in your ear.
> "Listen and stay calm. Your spiritual field has been burnt away. You now have no innate defense against even the simplest curses. We must act quickly. Come, to the shrine."